Mitch Kupchak: 570AM KLAC Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject:

I actually thought it was a pretty good interview. Mitch said a lot including a few interesting things like: He said he was going to speak to just about every GM in the league to touch base and see what they have interest in. It didn't sound like we'd trade the pick unless there is a team willing to part with a top 5-10 player (not likely).

He talked about Luke wanting to run an up tempo offense like the Warriors. He praised our scouts and said he wasn't sure if the gap between 2nd and 3rd was as big as most people say, but if the gap really is big, we got very lucky and will be getting a good player. He made it clear the Lakers haven't spent much time on researching the top picks yet, but will do so now they have the pick.

He said teams still need big players and even GS has a couple of 7 footers. So maybe Whitside is a target for us? He seems clear the Lakers want athletic relatively young players that can run up and down the court like the top teams.

Mostly, it's clear that he's going to do his job and look at just about every option before making any decisions. He said Lakers had a plan in place if they didn't get the pick. Now they have it, they'll look into how to best use it.

He says most of the pressure on him for the Lakers to improve is coming from himself and not from Jeannie or management. He cares about the winning history of the Lakers. He said he's good at his job and expects to see improvement next year.

He said many other interesting things, but those were some that come to mind right off the top of my head.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:
Mitch said there are a hand full of players that he would consider moving the pick for. Let me try and guess his list.

Paul George
Demarcus Cousins
Jimmy Butler
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant (maybe a sign and trade where we can offer him more money?)

Personally the only one i do off that list is Paul George

I really hope we keep the pick. That said, only players I'd trade it for are

Lebron James
Stephen Curry
Anthony Davis
Paul George
Demarcus Cousins
Kawhi Leonard
Karl Anthony Towns

Just off the top of my head. No to Durant or Westbrook because of their upcoming free agency, I wouldn't do it for Griffin, probably not for Butler. I know a lot of these aren't even realistic, so 99% chance we keep our pick. I'm really liking our roster right now and the idea of building for the future.

So you wanna keep the pick too. I'm with you. haha
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Dilla_ wrote:
- Mitch said the Lakers got a bit lucky keeping the draft pick and hopes to get a good player with the draft pick #2.

- He said he wasn't going to agree with it being a two player draft.

- Lakers have been planning that they wouldn't have the pick, so getting the pick is a bonus.

- Then said he thinks the Lakers will get an excellent player with the #2 pick.

- Mitch had a Lakers pen from over 20 years ago in the draft lottery with him for good luck.

- Mitch said he wasn't sure he was allowed to speak about Simmons or Ingram but just said they are both on his list. And said all the players on mock drafts from 1-10, the Lakers have watched a lot of.

- He also said he's confident about the #32 pick as well.

- Mitch said he thinks they got a good player in the draft last year (Russell) who could be great.

- He was asked about Jim's deadline and his job security, then said most of the pressure is self exposed and he had a good relationship with Jim Buss.

- He was asked about trading the pick and spoke about how rookie's contracts are very cheap and it doesn't make a major impact in the cap space until they become free agents.

- He said he thinks the Lakers fans have a great understanding and said the Lakers have got a great core of young players and that they can add two good players to it from this year's draft.

- He said he knows the Lakers fans expect the team to make improvement this season.

- He was asked about teams going small-ball nowadays in the NBA and asked if small-ball approaches can work in the NBA and said that it is Luke's plan similar to how the Warrios play but said the Warrios have much better players than the Lakers currently do at the moment.

- He mentioned how he watched game one between Warriors Vs OKC the other day how exciting it was with the pace of it. But he said teams will still need a couple of big guys (7 ft) on it.

AWESOME summary! I salute you! Mitch has commented on the 2nd round pick before, he thinks there's a couple of guys who could turn out to be nice surprises. 7 footers... I wonder if these 7 footers are going to finish games? Makes me wonder if Mitch is looking at lesser names than Ezeli/Whiteside who would be ok sitting on the bench in crunch time.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:
Mitch said there are a hand full of players that he would consider moving the pick for. Let me try and guess his list.

Paul George
Demarcus Cousins
Jimmy Butler
Blake Griffin

Curry
Lebron
George
A.Davis
Towns
Durant

Off the top of my head, that's my quick list. I'm actually kind of iffy on George, I think I'd rather keep the pick.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Troublesome626 wrote:

Paul George
Demarcus Cousins
Jimmy Butler
Blake Griffin

I think he meant overall in the league, not just who's rumored to be on the trading block.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Troublesome626 wrote:

Paul George
Demarcus Cousins
Jimmy Butler
Blake Griffin

Curry
Lebron
George
A.Davis
Towns
Durant

Off the top of my head, that's my quick list. I'm actually kind of iffy on George, I think I'd rather keep the pick.

You don't move a pick for a player you can just sign
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Was the pen a reference to the year kobe was traded for?
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:
- Mitch said the Lakers got a bit lucky keeping the draft pick and hopes to get a good player with the draft pick #2.

- Lakers have been planning that they wouldn't have the pick, so getting the pick is a bonus.

- Mitch had a Lakers pen from over 20 years ago in the draft lottery with him for good luck.

- Mitch said he wasn't sure he was allowed to speak about Simmons or Ingram but just said they are both on his list. And said all the players on mock drafts from 1-10, the Lakers have watched a lot of.

- Mitch said he thinks they got a good player in the draft last year (Russell) who could be great.

- He was asked about Jim's deadline and his job security, then said most of the pressure is self exposed and he had a good relationship with Jim Buss.

- He was asked about trading the pick and spoke about how rookie's contracts are very cheap and it doesn't make a major impact in the cap space until they become free agents.

- He said he thinks the Lakers fans have a great understanding and said the Lakers have got a great core of young players and that they can add two good players to it from this year's draft.

- He said he knows the Lakers fans expect the team to make improvement this season.

- He was asked about teams going small-ball nowadays in the NBA and asked if small-ball approaches can work in the NBA and said that it is Luke's plan similar to how the Warrios play but said the Warrios have much better players than the Lakers currently do at the moment.

- He mentioned how he watched game one between Warriors Vs OKC the other day how exciting it was with the pace of it. But he said teams will still need a couple of big guys (7 ft) on it.

AWESOME summary! I salute you! Mitch has commented on the 2nd round pick before, he thinks there's a couple of guys who could turn out to be nice surprises. 7 footers... I wonder if these 7 footers are going to finish games? Makes me wonder if Mitch is looking at lesser names than Ezeli/Whiteside who would be ok sitting on the bench in crunch time.

Nice! Sounds like we are keeping it. Better not turn around and panic trade that pick.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
Dilla_ wrote:

Nice! Sounds like we are keeping it. Better not turn around and panic trade that pick.

I think hibbert is one for sure. Great locker room guy and us God for about 20 mpg.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject:

Aside from the statement on not being willing to trade the pick for many players - he sounded 100% in on adding another player with our 2nd round pick. Stuck out to me, like it - Take another shot at a steal!!!
marcelo
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject:

By Mitch standards, he said a lot in this interview.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: