Chris Bosh Suffering From Another Blood-Clot Scare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Easy for me to say but retire. He is smart he has a ton of life to dominate in front of him. Huge fan of bosh.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/04/24/report-chris-bosh-has-no-plans-of-retiring-but-dont-expect-him-to-suit-up-in-playoffs/

Quote:
Report: Chris Bosh has no plans of retiring, but don’t expect him to suit up in playoffs

Chris Bosh isn’t going anywhere.

That’s true for both this series and his career, according to a report in the Miami Herald. Bosh is still on blood thinners (to avoid clotting that could be life threatening) and with that will not suit up for the Heat these playoffs. However, he plans to be back next season.

Bosh has indicated to associates that he has no plans to retire at this time and intends to play next season for the Heat. He is under contract for three seasons after this one, at roughly $75.5 million. Even if he retired this offseason, the Heat would not receive any salary-cap relief until summer 2017…

Bosh, eager to return, has sought opinions from multiple doctors about whether it was safe to come off the blood thinners in order to resume playing this season. On that issue, there were different opinions among the doctors consulted by Bosh, according to two sources with direct knowledge. But most of the doctors consulted believed Bosh should continue taking the blood thinners for several months, which is common treatment for the condition, even though the clot dissipated several weeks ago. That is ultimately the course Bosh took.

With $75 million on the line, none of us would walk away.

It can’t be easy for Bosh. He’s competitive, he wants to be on the court, watching the playoffs in a suit is not what he signed up for. On the other hand, his condition can be life threating if left untreated, and the treatment prevents him from playing. There is only one choice there, but it’s got to be frustrating.

Hopefully he can find a balance in future seasons that keeps one of the good guys in the game on the court and healthy.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject:

This gives new meaning to the Xarelto commercials he's making with Arnold Palmer, Kevin Nealon and Brian Vickers. I guess the other men in the commercial have the same problem for real.

Get well Chris and others in the commercial.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Reports: The Disagreement Between Chris Bosh And The Heat Over His Health Is Getting Messy

Quote:
With the Heat advancing to the second round of the playoffs and at least another week or two of games, Dan Le Batard said on his radio show this morning that the player’s union was getting involved (transcript via the Herald):

“It’s a super unusual situation. I can’t think of a lot of instances where a sports organization is acting in what appears to be the best interest of the player over their own interests and against the will of the player. From the people I’m talking to, Chris Bosh wants back on the court and now, and the Heat on medical advice are saying absolutely not.... They badly want to get to an Eastern Conference Finals against LeBron and they are telling him, ‘No, you cannot work.’...

“The Miami Heat and Chris Bosh are at a crossroads. There is a conflict here that promises to get a little bit messier. Now I’m hearing the Bosh’s want so badly on the court that they’re trying to get the union involved. They found a doctor who might be willing to clear him.... For some reason, he thinks he’s good to go and I think it’s because he’s not showing the symptoms he showed the first time.”

http://deadspin.com/reports-the-disagreement-between-chris-bosh-and-the-he-1774481553
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Reports: The Disagreement Between Chris Bosh And The Heat Over His Health Is Getting Messy

Quote:
With the Heat advancing to the second round of the playoffs and at least another week or two of games, Dan Le Batard said on his radio show this morning that the player’s union was getting involved (transcript via the Herald):

“It’s a super unusual situation. I can’t think of a lot of instances where a sports organization is acting in what appears to be the best interest of the player over their own interests and against the will of the player. From the people I’m talking to, Chris Bosh wants back on the court and now, and the Heat on medical advice are saying absolutely not.... They badly want to get to an Eastern Conference Finals against LeBron and they are telling him, ‘No, you cannot work.’...

“The Miami Heat and Chris Bosh are at a crossroads. There is a conflict here that promises to get a little bit messier. Now I’m hearing the Bosh’s want so badly on the court that they’re trying to get the union involved. They found a doctor who might be willing to clear him.... For some reason, he thinks he’s good to go and I think it’s because he’s not showing the symptoms he showed the first time.”

http://deadspin.com/reports-the-disagreement-between-chris-bosh-and-the-he-1774481553

I disagree with the article here. If Bosh plays in a single game next year, that's another full year that the HEAT wouldn't be able to medically retire him.

If he plays in this series he'll def give it a shot next year, and that's what I think they're afraid of
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Is this caused by basketball or something else with his genetics? Environmental?

Id the former I'd say retire.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

Screamin A says Bosh's camp says the same thing I posted above.

It's about the HEAT saving cap
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XuswMnjzI

@Larry Coon. Could Bosh sign a medical waiver to relinquish the Heat from liability?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
22 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XuswMnjzI

@Larry Coon. Could Bosh sign a medical waiver to relinquish the Heat from liability?

I don't think the CBA or the Players Union would allow something like that even if both sides were open to it.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Listening to radio, Heat ulterior motives are starting to come out..... I just thought they were angels. No wonder Bosh is fighting this so hard. He knows what's up.

Last edited by Runway8 on Wed May 04, 2016 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Wouldn't happen. The damage to the Heat would go way beyond direct liability if Chris were to die or suffer serious health problems after the consensus of medical advice and the standard of care said he shouldn't play, and they let him play anyway. No way they're letting him on the court unless the consensus and the standard change.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject:

It's real easy to get caught up in whatever ulterior motives the Heat may have to keep Bosh shelved.. But it doesn't change the core facts - he hasn't been clear to play. When you have to LOOK for somebody to clear you, that's a red flag. We're not talking about a bum knee or a rolled ankle. A wrong call could cost this man his life. And you're not gonna find many doctors willing to put their name (AND LICENSE) on the line for something like that.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Blood clots that get into the lungs is basically death. If they're sure it's DVT, then they need him to not sit around long and tbh, be as active as possible. Can't sit on planes long, or anything long.

I have this weird feeling that's he's got more than just DVT. I wonder if he has protein S deficiency as well.

Either way, the drugs make you easily bleed and prevents clotting. It's high maintenance and with that much banging around, you'll quickly get bruised up.

I think it's time for him to retire, imo...
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Heat put an end to speculation about Chris Bosh's playoff status

LINK
Quote:

"The Miami Heat and Chris Bosh announce that Chris will not be playing in the remainder of the 2016 NBA Playoffs," the team announced in a statement on Wednesday

Chris's agreeing tells me he understands the risk. He wants to be a part of the teams success or non in the postseason but long term health has taken front seat. He seems willing to accept the teams physicians concerns.

Probably tearing him apart. Second year in a row he's been out in postseason play.

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Bosh should think no only in his basketball career. Dude has a family and a life, that's the most important.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/report-heat-fear-chris-boshs-career-is-over/

Quote:
Report: Heat fear Chris Bosh’s career is over

After posturing by both sides, the Heat and Chris Bosh jointly announced he wouldn’t play in the 2016 playoffs.

But what about beyond?

Brian Windhorst of ESPN:

There is a fear within the Heat organization that Bosh’s condition will prevent him from ever being cleared to play by team doctors, several sources said.

This would be a sad and unfitting finish for Bosh, who has become one of the most respected players within NBA circles while facing too-common mocking from the larger fan base. Bosh is an excellent and underrated player, quality person to be around and should – if life were fair – have the opportunity to play several more seasons after just turning 32.

But life isn’t fair, and this situation might be as simple as it looks. Bosh has suffered blood clots the last two years that have required blood thinners. As long as he’s on blood thinners, I can’t imagine a doctor clearing him to play. The risk is just too great. Will his condition allow him to get off blood thinners and remain healthy?

Bosh has three years and $75,868,170 remaining on his contract. The Heat could waive him and have his remaining salary excluding from their team salary on Feb. 9, 2017 – one year from his last game – if he doesn’t play between now and then and a doctor determines he has suffered a career-ending injury or illness.

That doctor, selected jointly by the NBA and players union would have to determine Bosh “has an injury or illness that (i) prevents him from playing skilled professional basketball at an NBA level for the duration of his career, or (ii) substantially impairs his ability to play skilled professional basketball at an NBA level and is of such severity that continuing to play professional basketball at an NBA level would subject the player to medically unacceptable risk of suffering a life-threatening or permanently disabling injury or illness.” II would be the likely route here.

Bosh would still be paid if waived, but the doctor’s determination is the only way for Miami to get his salary off its books. That could open considerable cap space in 2017 – especially because Bosh’s $23,741,060 2016-17 salary will block the Heat from overboard spending this summer.

Bosh’s priority is still surely to return. You can bet the Heat share the same goal.

But, sometimes, reality has different ideas.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
Blood clots that get into the lungs is basically death. If they're sure it's DVT, then they need him to not sit around long and tbh, be as active as possible. Can't sit on planes long, or anything long.

I have this weird feeling that's he's got more than just DVT. I wonder if he has protein S deficiency as well.

Either way, the drugs make you easily bleed and prevents clotting. It's high maintenance and with that much banging around, you'll quickly get bruised up.

I think it's time for him to retire, imo...

Regardless of the underlying cause he'll have to be on a blood thinner for the foreseeable future, at the very least as long as he partakes in the frequent travel demanded from a professional athlete. I think they're more worried about excessive bleeding than simple bruising. Look at what happened to Austin Rivers when he got the elbow to the face and imagine a significantly magnified (potentially fatal) version of that.

They're correct in not clearing him.
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject:

If he's on Xarelto, there's an antidote up for approval in August.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

There have been antidotes for common blood thinners for years/decades. These are meant to be used in a hospital setting, often for urgent/emergent procedures/surgeries, not for the purpose of allowing people to liberalize activity.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/20/report-heat-expect-chris-bosh-to-play-next-season/

Quote:
Report: Heat expect Chris Bosh to play next season

The Heat reportedly fear Chris Bosh will never play again.

Or not.

Dan Le Batard of ESPN:

What I know of private medical history, which is to say I have partial information because so much of this is private and guarded and protected, I don’t know what’s going to be different in six months about what’s so right now. Bosh is going to think, six months from now, he’s also going to be able to play. And the recurrence of clots is still going to be something that’s problematic and that doctors might not clear him on. And so I’m sitting here looking at this, and everything that was the wrestling match during the postseason about getting Bosh back out there, I think it’s going to exist and then, later on down the road, this is going to get messy where the Heat, I think – now, keep in mind, I’m saying this with partial information – but I think this is going to end up in a place where they’re fighting over whether or not he retires.

I just got a text saying that Bosh should be able to play next season. So, the Heat expect Bosh to be able to play next season.

What I’m telling you is that Bosh is committed to getting back, and the Heat are hopeful that that can be so

That’s a pretty interesting about-face from Le Batard, who went from predicting the Heat would push into Bosh retirement to reporting they expect him to play next season. Le Batard is plugged in, so it’s definitely possible he received more current information and updated his evaluation accordingly.

But before getting that text, Le Batard was making good points about how the Heat have little option but to publicly toe the company line: “The HEAT, Chris, the doctors and medical team have been working together throughout this process and will continue to do so to return Chris to playing basketball as soon as possible.” Even if the Heat believe Bosh’s career is over, it would be unbecoming to say so at this point. He wants to play again, and they should help him try.

So, either Le Batard got a text from someone reliable or he got duped by the same propaganda he was just warning against. I don’t know which is the case, but there’s plenty of conflicting information floating around.

The Heat and Bosh came together to bury this issue for the rest of the playoffs. But it’s not going away.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject:

If he gets a head injury while on blood.thinners, he's a goner.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps his condition wasn't quite as serious, but the other night Stamkos participated in a game 7 playoff game in the Tampa/Pitts series. I probably wouldn't play, but it's a personal choice. Doctors must have felt comfortable enough in his recovery.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject:

Imagine if a Dwight Howard elbow comes crashing down on Chris Bosh's head during a rebound attempt while CB is on blood thinners. Dude would immediately hemorrhage into his brain. On live TV. No thanks, no one wants to see you die on live TV brother.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
Perhaps his condition wasn't quite as serious, but the other night Stamkos participated in a game 7 playoff game in the Tampa/Pitts series. I probably wouldn't play, but it's a personal choice. Doctors must have felt comfortable enough in his recovery.

It was a one-time incident which often doesn't require life-long blood thinners. It's the same reason Bosh was cleared to play after the first incident. The second incident is a game changer.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

He's an idiot. There's more to life than basketball. You've made your money. Why risk anything? Even if it's a 0.0001% chance. Think about your family. Stop being selfish.

Guy won't win another ring anyways.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: