LAKERS vs CELTICS: Race to the next championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Raijin wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
They have players like Crowder, Bradley, Sullinger, Smart, and Olynyk to trade along with their plethora of first round picks this year and next year +2018. Don't be a homer and you'll realize they have the better assets.

Teams don't trade their star players for a bunch of future role players. In terms of ability to swing a deal for a star, the Lakers are in a better situation.

Yes they do. For picks as well. I"m willing to wager teams trade their star players for other star players even less frequently than that.

Pau Gasol comes to mind

Pau wasn't really traded for role players, he was traded for cap space (Kwame's $9M which they turned into Zach Randolph).
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:

I think he was traded for both. Cap space and some young talent. Crittenton had a great SPL, and Marc Gasol was playing well in Europe. They got a couple promising young players + cap space + picks.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:
They have players like Crowder, Bradley, Sullinger, Smart, and Olynyk to trade along with their plethora of first round picks this year and next year +2018. Don't be a homer and you'll realize they have the better assets.

Teams don't trade their star players for a bunch of future role players. In terms of ability to swing a deal for a star, the Lakers are in a better situation.

Yes they do. For picks as well. I"m willing to wager teams trade their star players for other star players even less frequently than that.

Pau Gasol comes to mind

Pau Gasol
Shaquille O'neal
Steve Nash
(arguably) Dwight Howard

And that's just in our own backyard. It happens more than some people are willing to comprehend.

Yep. When's the last time you saw a true star player for star player trade? It's always star player for good role players and a bunch of picks.

To add to your list: Melo, DWill, KAJ, C Webb, Charles Barkley.

In fact, Kobe is the perfect example of this. All time great in his prime would've been traded to the Bulls for a bunch of no names and Luol freakin Deng. Or to the Pistons for Tayshaun Prince and Rip Hamilton. Or to the Mavs for Josh Howard and a bunch of no names.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Pau Gasol comes to mind

Pau wasn't really traded for role players, he was traded for cap space (Kwame's $9M which they turned into Zach Randolph).

I think the principle here is he wasn't traded for another star player.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Pau Gasol comes to mind

Fair enough, but that trade wouldn't happen today.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Legacy wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
Raijin wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Pau Gasol comes to mind

Fair enough, but that trade wouldn't happen today.

Now if they want to be crazy and do Isiaiah Thomas + 3rd pick for our 2nd (not advocating this, I'm good going DLo-JC-Marcelo PG rotation)
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject:

Lakers versus Celtics in 2019 at the soonest
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I think he was traded for both. Cap space and some young talent. Crittenton had a great SPL, and Marc Gasol was playing well in Europe. They got a couple promising young players + cap space + picks.

The cap space was by far the main driver. Crittenton was only a role player and Marc Gasol an unknown commodity. And it was 2008 when Drako Milicic shadow was over the NBA and not forget Bargnani who in his 3rd year showed no signs that could live on 1.pick expectations.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
So KD is gonna leave Russell Westbrook to play with Avery Bradley and Isiah Thomas? Yeah right.

In a year or so if he decides to sign the one year deal you better believe he'll take a long look at us.

Clarkson and Randle may be role players right now, but they have a hell of a lot more potential that the Celtics role players who've already plateaued.

The Celtics are one superstar away from being a legit title contender. Boston is a smarter choice for him than LA. Imagine they use those picks to trade for another piece as well. The Celtics young guys have already plateaued? Pure homerism. I know this is LG but let's try and have some objectivity.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject:

Legacy wrote:
Pau Gasol
Shaquille O'neal
Steve Nash
(arguably) Dwight Howard

And that's just in our own backyard. It happens more than some people are willing to comprehend.

Pau was dealt for cap space (Kwame's expiring contract), a high upside guard (Crittenton), and picks along with Pau's younger brother. A pretty solid rebuilding package despite what analysts said at the time.

The whole Shaq trade was the Lakers trading him with both arms tied behind his back. The fact that we got as much as we did was impressive. Two young players with potential, and a soonish expiring contract (Brian Grant) isn't a terrible package for having no leverage.

Nash was a pending FA and they traded him for a pair of picks after Nash begged the FO to trade him to their divisional rival. Hard to use as an argument because of the situation.

We gave up a young, up and coming big man who was starting to turn into a star of his own with knee troubles for him. I wouldn't really say he was a glorified role player by any means.

I stand by my point that teams don't trade stars for role players. They trade them for cap relief, young prospects, and picks.
Karmaloop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
When's the last time you saw a true star player for star player trade?

Probably Ray Allen for Gary Patyon me thinks.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

Karmaloop wrote:
Legacy wrote:
Pau Gasol
Shaquille O'neal
Steve Nash
(arguably) Dwight Howard

Pau was dealt for cap space (Kwame's expiring contract), a high upside guard (Crittenton), and picks along with Pau's younger brother. A pretty solid rebuilding package despite what analysts said at the time.

The whole Shaq trade was the Lakers trading him with both arms tied behind his back. The fact that we got as much as we did was impressive. Two young players with potential, and a soonish expiring contract (Brian Grant) isn't a terrible package for having no leverage.

Nash was a pending FA and they traded him for a pair of picks after Nash begged the FO to trade him to their divisional rival. Hard to use as an argument because of the situation.

We gave up a young, up and coming big man who was starting to turn into a star of his own with knee troubles for him. I wouldn't really say he was a glorified role player by any means.

I stand by my point that teams don't trade stars for role players. They trade them for cap relief, young prospects, and picks.

That's not what you said earlier. I really don't have the energy to dissect your entire post. Including your previous post you chose to cut out. You're contradicting yourself. I'll just ask, do you think "young prospects" are all going to be all-stars, or do most of them turn out to be just future role players/bench players? I'll be satisfied with any direct response and be on my way.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

What about the Garnett trade to Celtics in 2007.

Quote:
The package going back to Minnesota, sources say, is built around two assets Wolves vice president Kevin McHale has long coveted: Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff's expiring contract.

It is believed the deal also calls for the Celtics to ship youngsters Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Ryan Gomes to Minnesota, along with a future first-round draft pick and the return of a first-rounder the Wolves surrendered in the Wally Szczerbiak-Ricky Davis trade in January 2006.

Deathstroke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

Stars and superstars are rarely ever traded for another star or superstar. It's usually a mixture of cap space, draft picks, and young unproven players.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
What about the Garnett trade to Celtics in 2007.

Quote:
The package going back to Minnesota, sources say, is built around two assets Wolves vice president Kevin McHale has long coveted: Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff's expiring contract.

It is believed the deal also calls for the Celtics to ship youngsters Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and Ryan Gomes to Minnesota, along with a future first-round draft pick and the return of a first-rounder the Wolves surrendered in the Wally Szczerbiak-Ricky Davis trade in January 2006.

Highway robbery. Jefferson turned out to be a no-impact player.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject:

Durant - Celtics given list of players to pursue.

The smell of bs is strong in this one. We have more capspace and better trade assets only factor I see favorable to Boston is that they play in the weaker Eastern Conference.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject:

Of course the Celtics are going to pursue him. Pursuing doesn't mean anything. Alot of teams will pursue him. I think we have a better chance than them if he leaves OKC.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Of course the Celtics are going to pursue him. Pursuing doesn't mean anything. Alot of teams will pursue him. I think we have a better chance than them if he leaves OKC.

The article doesn't say Celtics will pursue Durant (I think that's a given) it says Durant's agent gave them a list of players to pursue in order to entice KD playing for them next season.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
So KD is gonna leave Russell Westbrook to play with Avery Bradley and Isiah Thomas? Yeah right.

In a year or so if he decides to sign the one year deal you better believe he'll take a long look at us.

Clarkson and Randle may be role players right now, but they have a hell of a lot more potential that the Celtics role players who've already plateaued.

The Celtics are one superstar away from being a legit title contender. Boston is a smarter choice for him than LA. Imagine they use those picks to trade for another piece as well. The Celtics young guys have already plateaued? Pure homerism. I know this is LG but let's try and have some objectivity.

Would you feel this way if Boston played a western conference schedule and the Lakers played an eastern conference schedule? Truth be told, the worst teams in the west would be playoff contenders in the east.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Would you feel this way if Boston played a western conference schedule and the Lakers played an eastern conference schedule? Truth be told, the worst teams in the west would be playoff contenders in the east.

Which worst teams in the West would be playoff contenders in the East?
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Off the top of my head. Sacramento, Minnesota, New Orleans, Denver, and believe it or not we'd easily clear the 30 win plateau in the east. All you need is 35 to compete for a spot in the east.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
32 wrote:
Peoples Hernandez wrote:
BigGameHames wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

Off the top of my head. Sacramento, Minnesota, New Orleans, Denver, and believe it or not we'd easily clear the 30 win plateau in the east. All you need is 35 to compete for a spot in the east.

If you are talking about this season Minnesota was too young and NO had a multitude of injuries. I didn't watch Denver very much. Sac probably had a chance. We would have been a bottom dweller in the East too especially with Byron as the coach.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Celtics got Horford and they are working on Durant.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Where all the Tic fans at?
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Ainge is a moron tho, trust me he'll find a way to not win a championship
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 14 of 32
Jump to: