CNN: LeBron James’s Nike deal may be worth more than $1 billion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
the association wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
UA isn't anywhere close to Nike or Addidas....but I think losing Steph Curry and having him as UA's biggest client has got to sting especially with all the accolades he is getting now. Just imagine if he was under Nike, they could've been the company reaping big rewards. Guess they should've had a better presentation instead of a botched cut and paste job....

Yeah, I'm sure you're right that Nike would prefer to have Curry in their stable. But I do wonder sometimes if Curry's image (i.e., he's typically viewed as something much less than a physical marvel) conflicts with Nike's projection as the home of the world's best athletes anyway. Maybe Curry, even as the best basketball player on the planet, would always make more sense as an endorser of an alternative brand? Wouldn't he be a Reebok or Adidas guy years ago, rather than a Nike guy?

Maybe I'm just tired ...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15047018/how-nike-lost-stephen-curry-armour

Quote:
The pitch meeting, according to Steph's father Dell, who was present, kicked off with one Nike official accidentally addressing Stephen as "Steph-on," the moniker, of course, of Steve Urkel's alter ego in Family Matters. "I heard some people pronounce his name wrong before," says Dell Curry. "I wasn't surprised. I was surprised that I didn't get a correction."

It got worse from there. A PowerPoint slide featured Kevin Durant's name, presumably left on by accident, presumably residue from repurposed materials. "I stopped paying attention after that," Dell says. Though Dell resolved to "keep a poker face," throughout the entirety of the pitch, the decision to leave Nike was in the works.

Amateur Hour in Beaverton ...

The mispronunciation of his name is terrible, but Dell and his his wife share some of the blame for anointing him with that (bleep) obscure middle name anyway ... I still don't say his name without thinking about it first.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject:

The only brand i've seen create something better than Nike for a sport is Adidas.

Man they hit the nail in the head with their training shorts/pants. Jesus christ what an amazing line of soccer clothing.

Their cleats are up to par with Vapors/Magistas too.. hell vapor was Nike's best soccer cleat in my opinion.. The adidas Copa's were just redesigned too and that's better than any retro nike cleat, ever. Although i do like me some Tiempos.

Last edited by marga86 on Thu May 19, 2016 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
The only brand i've seen create something better than Nike for a sport is Adidas.

Man they hit the nail in the head with their training shorts/pants. Jesus christ what an amazing line of soccer clothing.

Their cleats are up to par with Vapors/Magistas too.. hell vapor was Nike's best soccer sure in my opinion.. The adidas Copa's were just redesigned too and that's better than any retro nike cleat, ever. Although i do like me some Tiempos.

It seems like Adidas was teetering on the edge (of obscurity in the Western Hemisphere, at least) a while back, but they've really come back with a vengeance, and I think you're right that their soccer portfolio is very, very strong right now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject:

the association wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Their cleats are up to par with Vapors/Magistas too.. hell vapor was Nike's best soccer sure in my opinion.. The adidas Copa's were just redesigned too and that's better than any retro nike cleat, ever. Although i do like me some Tiempos.

It seems like Adidas was teetering on the edge (of obscurity in the Western Hemisphere, at least) a while back, but they've really come back with a vengeance, and I think you're right that their soccer portfolio is very, very strong right now.

They're the only brand outside of Nike that looks decent. Their soccer stuff is great.

Have you seen Reebok?

http://cdn2.therxreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Reebok-CrossFit-Nano-5.0-1-tower.jpg

Good lord, I know every a-hole that's into crossfit (I kid, I kid) can't help but bring it up every 2 minutes like a vegan but emblazoned on your shoes? Come on...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

I liked Jordans much more when they were more exclusive. Now they diluted the brand with a flood of shoes at different price points.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I liked Jordans much more when they were more exclusive. Now they diluted the brand with a flood of shoes at different price points.
I liked Jordan og retro's when kids didn't lineup nights before hand just to buy them and resell. They killed the shoe game. The people who really want to buy to wear are the ones who lose out. Growing up, I'd just walk in a store, ask for a size, try them on, then cop.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

I liked Jordans when Jordan played. Today it seems like they give a pair to everyone who meets with a probation officer.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Imagine what Nike is making. Big stacks.

Nike's paying MJ $100 million per year and the Jordan brand makes Nike $2.5 billion.
that's a pay ratio of $1 to every $25 in sales
Or, to put it in terms of Lebron's reported deal by the time Nike has paid MJ a total of $1billion, they would have realized $25billion in Jordan sales

(it's worth noting that will only take 10 years for MJ to make $1 billion)

MJ is a lot bigger then Lebron (hell, he's bigger then everyone), so I would expect Nike's pay ratio for Lebron to be somewhat lower. Maybe like $1 to $40 sale (WAG guess)

So, you'd probably expect that if Nike is willing to pay Lebron $1billion across his lifetime, they'd probably have calculated they'll make $40billion off of that LBJ investment (or something in that neighborhood)

I do NOT know any of that for certain, but from a business perspective something along those lines would probably make sense

MJ is paid a percentage. So his share is based on total sales. And he actually should probably have a larger cut.

Lebron's deal might be an entirely different model.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
doughboy90650 wrote:
Imagine what Nike is making. Big stacks.

Nike's paying MJ $100 million per year and the Jordan brand makes Nike $2.5 billion.
that's a pay ratio of $1 to every $25 in sales
Or, to put it in terms of Lebron's reported deal by the time Nike has paid MJ a total of $1billion, they would have realized $25billion in Jordan sales

(it's worth noting that will only take 10 years for MJ to make $1 billion)

MJ is a lot bigger then Lebron (hell, he's bigger then everyone), so I would expect Nike's pay ratio for Lebron to be somewhat lower. Maybe like $1 to $40 sale (WAG guess)

So, you'd probably expect that if Nike is willing to pay Lebron $1billion across his lifetime, they'd probably have calculated they'll make $40billion off of that LBJ investment (or something in that neighborhood)

I do NOT know any of that for certain, but from a business perspective something along those lines would probably make sense

Lebron would receive a higher return because it's really just on the lebron shoe, jordan has an entire brand, socks, t shirts, shorts, even other players shoes.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/the-internet-s-roast-of-stephen-curry-s-new-shoes-is-relentless-145549601.htm
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject:

lmao, yo, those do look like nurse sneakers.

!...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

why did they choose to make a nearly all-white color way? UGLY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

UA needs to switch up their design team and get rid of that ugly ass logo on their kicks imo.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Are you sure those aren't the Dell Curry's?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Are you sure those aren't the Dell Curry's?
lmao.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Just seen it in the Warriors colors. STILL ugly lmbo

They gonna need to release the 3s quick lol

Last edited by 22 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
22 wrote:

They gonna bed to release the 3s quick lol

One thing Curry is good at, is releasing 3's quick.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
22 wrote:
22 wrote:

They gonna bed to release the 3s quick lol

One thing Curry is good at, is releasing 3's quick.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject:

Interesting how Simmon's $100 mil shoe contract turned into $14 mil.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Interesting how Simmon's $100 mil shoe contract turned into $14 mil.

what?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject:

The media was speculating that Simmons would get a $100 mil shoe deal, it was much smaller than that.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
the association wrote:
marga86 wrote:

They're the only brand outside of Nike that looks decent. Their soccer stuff is great.

Have you seen Reebok?

http://cdn2.therxreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Reebok-CrossFit-Nano-5.0-1-tower.jpg

Good lord, I know every a-hole that's into crossfit (I kid, I kid) can't help but bring it up every 2 minutes like a vegan but emblazoned on your shoes? Come on...

Reebok is a niche brand of adidas since their acquisition (2005?). No point competing against yourself.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: