Colin Cowherd on the Lakers pick... Says we must trade it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Kingpin2010 wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
Sina wrote:
We have 60m cap space to add talent by signing FAs. Why we have to trade our pick for talent, especially when we lock up with talent like Simmons or Ingram. It would eat up the cap but would not improve our talent. I would trade the #2 only for a few top talent like Westbrook, George, Butler, Davisetc

Exactly. This point can't be emphasized enough. Why would we trade our players away when we have 60 mil in cap space. That makes no sense. Unless a player that you REALLY want is offered for just the #2 and a small piece on top of that then you pass and continue course by stockpiling young talent and adding through FA

We've had cap room the last 2 years and the best player we could sign was Lou freaking Williams. Now like 20 teams are going to have max cap space, and with just a bunch of young guys coming off a 17 win year, we'll be signing guys from the bottom of the barrel again.

You are right that we have struck out on FA's the past 2 summers (Byron), and that 70% of the league will have at least 1 max slot available, so it will be a frenzy to lock up the quality players because even the lesser players will get paid.

I however have a far more optimistic approach to this summer, as we have Luke. A basket ball mind, and a players coach...this will attract FA's more than anything we've had to offer in the past 2 years!!
evetssteve10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject:

lakeshowtacular wrote:
Kingpin2010 wrote:
evetssteve10 wrote:
Sina wrote:
We have 60m cap space to add talent by signing FAs. Why we have to trade our pick for talent, especially when we lock up with talent like Simmons or Ingram. It would eat up the cap but would not improve our talent. I would trade the #2 only for a few top talent like Westbrook, George, Butler, Davisetc

Exactly. This point can't be emphasized enough. Why would we trade our players away when we have 60 mil in cap space. That makes no sense. Unless a player that you REALLY want is offered for just the #2 and a small piece on top of that then you pass and continue course by stockpiling young talent and adding through FA

We've had cap room the last 2 years and the best player we could sign was Lou freaking Williams. Now like 20 teams are going to have max cap space, and with just a bunch of young guys coming off a 17 win year, we'll be signing guys from the bottom of the barrel again.

You are right that we have struck out on FA's the past 2 summers (Byron), and that 70% of the league will have at least 1 max slot available, so it will be a frenzy to lock up the quality players because even the lesser players will get paid.

I however have a far more optimistic approach to this summer, as we have Luke. A basket ball mind, and a players coach...this will attract FA's more than anything we've had to offer in the past 2 years!!

Yeaaaa so because a couple free agents passed on the Lakers the last couple years means we should trade our entire team away for 1 player. No, just no. And the Lakers have the most cap space of any team so the whole "every team has max cap space" is .... Wrong. We have an actual direction now, with a respected coach, a bunch of young talent and loads of money to give away. Oh and were the Lakers in LA. If you don't think players are going to want to come here over the next couple years you are being pessimistic by nature and not actually looking at the situation at hand
"Bryant has been the second best player in the NBA for over a decade, but the number 1 player changes every other year. Somehow the number 1 player always seems to fall down the list but Kobe just never moves up. ". The Art of Hating Kobe Bryant
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

We will we most likely not get next years pick, so picking up the 16 just to drop down one postion isnt the worst thing in the world.

So the trade would be something like trade Ingram for Dragan and Valentine(or some similar) could be worse.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

Draft Ingram. Let them develop. Get the #1 next year and approach free agency with a couple of young guys hat have 3 seasons of training under them.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Draft Ingram. Let them develop. Get the #1 next year and approach free agency with a couple of young guys hat have 3 seasons of training under them.

Get the #1 next year? No, more tanking.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerLand247 wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I read that as a political statement.

"Read my lips. No...more...tanking."
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

If you say so... maybe they overachieve but they still aren't a playoff team with dd. So either we get lucky next year and orlandos first gets downgraded or we lose next years to Philly. Another to Orlando two years later.. And we continue to mire in medicirity with second tier allstars.

Where most people have counted since the last time we won a title. I fell like this is year one. Pkb.

It's gonna take at least another 5 years and getting there all there this season isn't possible.
crazylakerfan001
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
mirak wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

If you say so... maybe they overachieve but they still aren't a playoff team with dd. So either we get lucky next year and orlandos first gets downgraded or we lose next years to Philly. Another to Orlando two years later.. And we continue to mire in medicirity with second tier allstars.

Where most people have counted since the last time we won a title. I fell like this is year one. Pkb.

It's gonna take at least another 5 years and getting there all there this season isn't possible.

I would say we are at the stage that golden state was in 2012. They were a 20 win team that were developing curry and klay and were looking forward to going into an important draft(the draft where they landed barnes, green, and ezeli)

So from 12 to 15 I would say we have 3 years before we begin to be in the hunt.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject:

crazylakerfan001 wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
mirak wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:

I would say we are at the stage that golden state was in 2012. They were a 20 win team that were developing curry and klay and were looking forward to going into an important draft(the draft where they landed barnes, green, and ezeli)

So from 12 to 15 I would say we have 3 years before we begin to be in the hunt.

I sure hope we have a b2b MVP on this roster if we plan on being the Warriors any time soon
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: