Happy Birthday Ferris

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Happy Birthday Ferris

It has been 30 years since Ferris Bueller's Day Off was released. One of my all time favorites, I still watch it at least once a month. I used to go listen to a band that played a lot in Santa Barbara named Save Ferris (from the water tower in the movie). I used Abe Froman as my alias when traveling, but have recently replaced that with Ragnar Lothbrok. Happy Birthday Ferris!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

was a bit before my time but I watched it a few years ago and didnt see what was so special about it
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Ferris

venturalakersfan wrote:
It has been 30 years since Ferris Bueller's Day Off was released. One of my all time favorites, I still watch it at least once a month. I used to go listen to a band that played a lot in Santa Barbara named Save Ferris (from the water tower in the movie). I used Abe Froman as my alias when traveling, but have recently replaced that with Ragnar Lothbrok. Happy Birthday Ferris!

Cameron did you know if we played by the rules we would be in Gym right now?
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

Most Iconic 80's characters:

Ferris Bueller, (Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?)

Jeff Spicoli, (Relax, all right? My old man is a TV repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Marty McFly, (Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?)

Danielson, (Banzai!)

Mr Miyagi, (Wax On. Wax Off.)

Reggie Hammond, ( I've been in prison for three years. My dick gets hard if the wind blows)

Raymond Babbit, (I'm an Excellent Driver)

Joel Goodson ( I don't believe this! I've got a trig midterm tomorrow, and I'm being chased by Guido the killer pimp.)

Adrian Cronauer, (You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.)

Maverick & Goose (I Feel the Need For Speed)

Long Duk Dong (Married! Jeez.)
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Mon May 23, 2016 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I was 3 when it was released but, it's definitely one of my favorites.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

Ferris Bueller,

Jeff Spicoli,

Marty McFly,

Danielson,

Mr Miyagi,

Reggie Hammond,

Raymond Babbit,

Joel Goodson

Adrian Cronauer,

Maverick & Goose

Long Duk Dong

"If you get your head out of your ass long enough"? "Kiss my ass"? You're gettin' more and more like me every day. Next thing you know you're gonna have Afros... big dicks and all!
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject:

My dad put that movie on when I was a teenager (I'm 34 now) and thought I would hate it cuz it was old. That movie was so great it literally changed my perspective on older movies forever. I loved it so much I made a list of things I needed to skip school and have a day like they did. I always got snagged on:

1.) money

BTW I caught Save Ferris a few times out here in the IE when I was a teenager as well. I have a picture with me up on stage singing with Reel Big Fish and some of Save Ferris in the background. Good times.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Ferris Bueller,

Jeff Spicoli,

Marty McFly,

Danielson,

Mr Miyagi,

Reggie Hammond,

Raymond Babbit,

Joel Goodson

Adrian Cronauer,

Maverick & Goose

Long Duk Dong

"If you get your head out of your ass long enough"? "Kiss my ass"? You're gettin' more and more like me every day. Next thing you know you're gonna have Afros... big dicks and all!

Maybe i'm not smart enough to catch this if it's sarcasm... but that's the wrong movie!
You're thinking of Coming to America!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
999 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Ferris Bueller,

Jeff Spicoli,

Marty McFly,

Danielson,

Mr Miyagi,

Reggie Hammond,

Raymond Babbit,

Joel Goodson

Adrian Cronauer,

Maverick & Goose

Long Duk Dong

Maybe i'm not smart enough to catch this if it's sarcasm... but that's the wrong movie!
You're thinking of Coming to America!

coming to America is akeem
Reggie Hammond is from 48 hours.

The line I quoted is Beverly Hills cops II as Axel Foley is clearly missing from his list
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject:

^ There's a handful of iconic action movie characters missing from that list too but all and all, a solid list.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^ There's a handful of iconic action movie characters missing from that list too but all and all, a solid list.

Hawkins, Predator. "Me, too. Mine's as big as a HOUSE!"
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Ferris

venturalakersfan wrote:

Mia Sara was gorg, man.

Hughes made the majority of his rich, suburban Chicago teens somehow likable. Interesting how he was known as the teen movie guy from the decade most notorious for them, yet a kid who's dad has a vintage Ferrari is a protagonist. In his movies, those characters were often the underdog. Loved the houses in his flicks, they were characters in themselves, e.g. Home Alone, Weird Science. A ton of classic 1986 flicks are hitting 30. I remember seeing The Fly, Aliens, Preddy (filmed in 86), Three Amigos!, Rocky w/ Drago, etc. Some reason, 86 feels like eons ago to me. Smeltics won that year with no athleticism and while wearing micro-shorts. When I think of 86, it seems highly dated in respects like that.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:57 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

Ferris Bueller, (Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?)

Jeff Spicoli, (Relax, all right? My old man is a TV repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Marty McFly, (Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?)

Danielson, (Banzai!)

Mr Miyagi, (Wax On. Wax Off.)

Reggie Hammond, ( I've been in prison for three years. (bleep) gets hard if the wind blows)

Raymond Babbit, (I'm an Excellent Driver)

Joel Goodson ( I don't believe this! I've got a trig midterm tomorrow, and I'm being chased by Guido the killer pimp.)

Adrian Cronauer, (You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any white man in history.)

Maverick & Goose (I Feel the Need For Speed)

Long Duk Dong (Married! Jeez.)

QTFOS:

Ferris: You're still here?!... It's over! Go home...
Spicoli: I don't know...
Marty: What the hell's a gigawatt?!...
Danielsan: Yeah, it's like a Miyagi Turbo...
Mr. Miyagi: (You got a belt?) Yah! J.C. Penny!...$3.98!...
Reggie: Tell me a story... (Nolte: F off.) That's my favorite...
Raymond: OWWW!! BURN BABY!!!
Joel: Boffing and (bleeping) are the same thing...
Adrian Cronauer: Hey, baby! What's happenin? Let's groove!
Mav: She's lost that lovin' feelin'... Goose: I hate it when she does that.
Dong: The Donger need FOOD!

Last edited by non-player zealot on Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Ferris

venturalakersfan wrote:

Happy Belated Birthday Ferris! Save Ferris' with Monique Powell brings back memories, love their cover of "Come on Eileen" back in the day. They're working on a new album which should be released later this year.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Ferris

non-player zealot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Mia Sara was gorg, man.

Hughes made the majority of his rich, suburban Chicago teens somehow likable. Interesting how he was known as the teen movie guy from the decade most notorious for them, yet a kid who's dad has a vintage Ferrari is a protagonist. In his movies, those characters were often the underdog. Loved the houses in his flicks, they were characters in themselves, e.g. Home Alone, Weird Science. A ton of classic 1986 flicks are hitting 30. I remember seeing The Fly, Aliens, Preddy (filmed in 86), Three Amigos!, Rocky w/ Drago, etc. Some reason, 86 feels like eons ago to me. Smeltics won that year with no athleticism and while wearing micro-shorts. When I think of 86, it seems highly dated in respects like that.

80's definitely feels like another lifetime for me. On the other hand, it's surprising when I look back at some of the stuff in the mid-90s that feel dated. For me (and I'm sure for yourself) that time period seem like yesterday but when I see photos from that period, I'm shocked at how dated it felt.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
was a bit before my time but I watched it a few years ago and didnt see what was so special about it

A little late to the game but that's blasphemy!!

You wouldn't have said that if you saw it in the theater.

Bye.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Ferris

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Mia Sara was gorg, man.

80's definitely feels like another lifetime for me. On the other hand, it's surprising when I look back at some of the stuff in the mid-90s that feel dated. For me (and I'm sure for yourself) that time period seem like yesterday but when I see photos from that period, I'm shocked at how dated it felt.

That's true. I remember LG's version of Huey Lewis posting a link with mall pics from the year 1990 and it unequivocally displayed the slow transition in styles (in the young crowd, mostly) that were largely viewed as 80s specific vs 90s specific. Iirc, someone posted that said pics didn't "look" 90s for that general reason. To me, in terms of pop culture, the 90s was the Smells Like Teen Spirit decade if nothing else. Tech was more advanced than the 80s, but still laughably rudimentary looking back on it. I saw the music video to Amazing (1993) by Aerosmith the other night and it has that classic exaggerated 1990s futurevision of virtual reality, not to mention Alicia Silverstone, who was the Molly Ringwald of the decade.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Love u guys.

Tonight I took out my mom and family to some fancy schmancy Persian restaraunt and as soon as we walked into the glittery joint my brother looked at me and used his snooty voice and said, "Youuuu're Abe Froman??"
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Between the ages of 6-7 I owned only 3 video tapes. All were pirated copies from Video Town in Buena Park. I used to get home afterschool to our tiny apartment in Van Nuys and plop in G00nies, followed by Ferris, followed by Teen Wolf. Over and over and over again, every single day after school for the entire school year. Those 3 movies shaped my whole damn life. Then pops passed away when I was 7 and we moved to OC and brought those videos back near Jay Patel's Video Town.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Between the ages of 6-7 I owned only 3 video tapes. All were pirated copies from Video Town in Buena Park. I used to get home afterschool to our tiny apartment in Van Nuys and plop in G00nies, followed by Ferris, followed by Teen Wolf. Over and over and over again, every single day after school for the entire school year. Those 3 movies shaped my whole damn life. Then pops passed away when I was 7 and we moved to OC and brought those videos back near Jay Patel's Video Town.

There have been times where I chuckled to myself at the thought of Kobe's similarity to the superstar werewolf hooper. At one point, he stole the ball from a teammate and went in for the dunk.

Watch this move at this point in the vid. Tell me that's not a Kobe move.

I distinctly remember seeing Lauper's "The Goonies Are Good Enough" video when it first came out. Feat. Josh Brolin, mind you. Kerri Green. She had a beautiful tuffet, she must've known it.

http://www.childstarlets.com/captures/videocaps/kgreen/srental/kgsrent036.jpg

I think Richard Linklater took the torch from Hughes. I like his work. Everyone loves Dazed & Confused. Boyhood had its moments. Finally got around to seeing Everybody Wants Some! The Linklater template was there, but it didn't feel like you could relate to it lest you were a college baseball player. It was set in 80 and it looked good. He has a talent for capturing a period in time, which was when Van Halen was huge and kids listened to music, played sports outside, and tried to get P. Simpler times. You were cool if you had a sound system on cinder blocks and a big vinyl collection.
Sorry to hear about pops, my brotha. I can surely sympathize through experience.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

There have been times where I chuckled to myself at the thought of Kobe's similarity to the superstar werewolf hooper. At one point, he stole the ball from a teammate and went in for the dunk.

Watch this move at this point in the vid. Tell me that's not a Kobe move.

I distinctly remember seeing Lauper's "The Goonies Are Good Enough" video when it first came out. Feat. Josh Brolin, mind you. Kerri Green. She had a beautiful tuffet, she must've known it.

http://www.childstarlets.com/captures/videocaps/kgreen/srental/kgsrent036.jpg

I think Richard Linklater took the torch from Hughes. I like his work. Everyone loves Dazed & Confused. Boyhood had its moments. Finally got around to seeing Everybody Wants Some! The Linklater template was there, but it didn't feel like you could relate to it lest you were a college baseball player. It was set in 80 and it looked good. He has a talent for capturing a period in time, which was when Van Halen was huge and kids listened to music, played sports outside, and tried to get P. Simpler times. You were cool if you had a sound system on cinder blocks and a big vinyl collection.
Sorry to hear about pops, my brotha. I can surely sympathize through experience.

I actually recently looked up the Goonies "where are they now" just for Kerri Green like a creepy perv.

@ Dladi - My brother's friend's family owned a video rental place back in the day and they hooked us up with a few movies that I watched over, and over and over. For us it was Robocop, Aliens and Commando. Quality viewing for a 10-11 year old.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: