Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
This is so unexpected to me because I remember him playing not that long ago. He was almost the same age as MJ.

I doubt he would have hit .400 though. Too much pressure, and because he was a few points below .400, that means he would have had to hit even better over the final 52 games. He was good enough to do it but I think his chances were far below 50 percent.

Maybe he would have done it if some pitchers started feeding him softballs in the last month, thinking it was good for baseball if he did it. There is a reason why nobody has hit over .400 since World War 2. It's just way too hard. But of course we'll never know because of that strike.

Not a big baseball stats guy, but is hitting 0.400 comparable to Wilt's 100 point game? Like some may get near it but never reach or surpass it?

It's probably like shooting 80% FG for an entire season.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject:

rip
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject:

I didn't really follow him baseball wise I knew who he was but he had a house here in Indy he came for a visit and liked it so much he wanted to have a home here.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
This is so unexpected to me because I remember him playing not that long ago. He was almost the same age as MJ.

I doubt he would have hit .400 though. Too much pressure, and because he was a few points below .400, that means he would have had to hit even better over the final 52 games. He was good enough to do it but I think his chances were far below 50 percent.

Maybe he would have done it if some pitchers started feeding him softballs in the last month, thinking it was good for baseball if he did it. There is a reason why nobody has hit over .400 since World War 2. It's just way too hard. But of course we'll never know because of that strike.

Not a big baseball stats guy, but is hitting 0.400 comparable to Wilt's 100 point game? Like some may get near it but never reach or surpass it?

It's probably like shooting 80% FG for an entire season.

Or scoring 40ppg for a season. It's likely no one will ever do it again. In the last 45 years, no one has hit over .380. And only Rogers Hornsby and Ted Williams have done it (hit .400) since 1900.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:

How it must have been to pitch vs Gwynn. You bring your A game, tricking mean looking power hitters with your curve and quick players into grounding out. Then this pudgy guy gets in the box and smiles as he goes 2 for 5 off you no matter how good you are. The chase for Ted Williams was surreal, but I still can't understand how Gwynn would hardly ever strike out. No disrespect to Fred McGriff or Tom Emanski, if you want your kid to hit a baseball tell him to watch how Gwynn does it.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject:

An artist with the bat, rest in peace
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject:

As I kid I basically just knew Tony as "the other chubby black lovable baseball player". (My cousins and I used to tease each other and refer to each other as "fat Pucketts". Still do to this day actually. ) After reading up on him more and seeing the way he was so caring and kind towards other people it makes it extra sad that he's gone. RIP
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/tony-gwynns-family-files-wrongful-death-suit-against-tobacco-industry/

Quote:
Tony Gwynn's family files wrongful death suit against the tobacco industry
The suit comes nearly two years after Gwynn's death

The two-year anniversary of Tony Gwynn's death is coming up on June 16 -- some three and a half weeks away. On Monday, Gwynn's family took another step in coming to terms with that reality by filing a lawsuit against Altria Group Inc. and other parties in the tobacco industry.
Here's Tyler Kepner of the New York Times with more details:
Essentially, the complaint says that Gwynn, while in college, was the victim of a scheme to get him, a rising star athlete, addicted to smokeless tobacco, while knowing the dangers it posed to him. The suit said the industry was undergoing a determined effort at the time to market its products to African-Americans, and that Gwynn was a "marketing dream come true" for the defendants.
As Kepner noted, Gwynn died due to salivary gland cancer -- a condition caused in large part by his 31 years of dipping.
Following Gwynn's passing, there was a renewed urge to ban smokeless tobacco within the sport. Past efforts have failed, but more recent ones have gained traction. Earlier this year, for instance, MLB announced that players who broke smokeless tobacco laws in applicable cities would face penalties. Expect the league and the union to reengage on the issue during the coming round of CBA talks.
In the meantime, expect the Gwynn family to make their case off the field.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: