Sexual Assault - Southern Definition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Sexual Assault - Southern Definition

Quote:
A Louisiana parish is arguing that it should not be held liable for the rape of a 14-year-old girl in a juvenile detention center because the victim “consented” to be sexually assaulted by a 40-year-old corrections officer at the facility.

The victim, now 20, filed a civil lawsuit against her assailant, former guard Angelo Vickers, as well as Terrebonne Parish.

The age of consent in Louisiana is 17, but court documents allege that “Vickers could not have engaged in sexual relations within the walls of the detention center with [the victim] without cooperation from her. Vickers did not use force, violence or intimidation when engaging in sexual relations.”

In a comment on the case to the Tri-Parish Times, an anonymous official also remarked that the 14-year-old should share the blame for her assault, saying:

Quote:
“These girls in the detention center are not Little Miss Muffin.”

Carolyn McNabb, an area attorney and child advocate, is one among many local voices harshly criticizing the parish’s victim-blaming: “To say that a 14-year-old mentally and emotionally distressed girl with a history of having been abused and neglected as a child should be found at fault for consenting to be raped by a male guard while in confinement at the hands of my local government, which is charged with the responsibility of keeping her safe, not only sets the cause of children’s advocacy back a hundred years, but I believe the parish government commits ‘documentary’ sexual assault against the child by taking this position in a public record,” she remarked in a letter to parish attorneys.

In the South, Statutory Assault Isn't Really Assault Because She Wanted It?

Wow, Just wow. They're so effed up that they don't see the problem with saying these things out loud on the record.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sexual Assault - Southern Definition

Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
A Louisiana parish is arguing that it should not be held liable for the assault of a 14-year-old girl in a juvenile detention center because the victim “consented” to be sexually assaulted by a 40-year-old corrections officer at the facility.

The victim, now 20, filed a civil lawsuit against her assailant, former guard Angelo Vickers, as well as Terrebonne Parish.

The age of consent in Louisiana is 17, but court documents allege that “Vickers could not have engaged in sexual relations within the walls of the detention center with [the victim] without cooperation from her. Vickers did not use force, violence or intimidation when engaging in sexual relations.”

In a comment on the case to the Tri-Parish Times, an anonymous official also remarked that the 14-year-old should share the blame for her assault, saying:

Quote:

Carolyn McNabb, an area attorney and child advocate, is one among many local voices harshly criticizing the parish’s victim-blaming: “To say that a 14-year-old mentally and emotionally distressed girl with a history of having been abused and neglected as a child should be found at fault for consenting to be assaulted by a male guard while in confinement at the hands of my local government, which is charged with the responsibility of keeping her safe, not only sets the cause of children’s advocacy back a hundred years, but I believe the parish government commits ‘documentary’ sexual assault against the child by taking this position in a public record,” she remarked in a letter to parish attorneys.

Wow, Just wow. They're so effed up that they don't see the problem with saying these things out loud on the record.

Not sure why you're pinning this on being "Southern".

We have a thread on here talking about how rampant such stuff is in Hollywood.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Note how in the description of the Hollywood story, no reference was made to the south. Same here.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sexual Assault - Southern Definition

Reflexx wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:
A Louisiana parish is arguing that it should not be held liable for the assault of a 14-year-old girl in a juvenile detention center because the victim “consented” to be sexually assaulted by a 40-year-old corrections officer at the facility.

Quote:

Carolyn McNabb, an area attorney and child advocate, is one among many local voices harshly criticizing the parish’s victim-blaming: “To say that a 14-year-old mentally and emotionally distressed girl with a history of having been abused and neglected as a child should be found at fault for consenting to be assaulted by a male guard while in confinement at the hands of my local government, which is charged with the responsibility of keeping her safe, not only sets the cause of children’s advocacy back a hundred years, but I believe the parish government commits ‘documentary’ sexual assault against the child by taking this position in a public record,” she remarked in a letter to parish attorneys.

I saw no mention of a level of acceptance in the Hollywood story of a Government Sanctioned Entity Officially Defending Statutory Assault Activity as being "acceptable" as is the case here. A government entity (one that's by definition representative of it's constituency) is using this as an actual defense. That's beyond the pale. In the Hollywood story, they aren't even comfortable with naming a single name. Whereas in Louisiana, not only are they OK with naming names, they're so comfortable with the behaviour that they don't even deny the occurance. They openly admit it, and go even farther by defending it as ok.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sexual Assault - Southern Definition

Aussiesuede wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I saw no mention of a level of acceptance in the Hollywood story of a Government Sanctioned Entity Officially Defending Statutory Assault Activity as being "acceptable" as is the case here. A government entity (one that's by definition representative of it's constituency) is using this as an actual defense. That's beyond the pale...

Doesn't matter.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sexual Assault - Southern Definition

Reflexx wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I saw no mention of a level of acceptance in the Hollywood story of a Government Sanctioned Entity Officially Defending Statutory Assault Activity as being "acceptable" as is the case here. A government entity (one that's by definition representative of it's constituency) is using this as an actual defense. That's beyond the pale...

Doesn't matter.

Actually it does matter. Lack of remorse matters. If you go into court and convince a judge that you are truly sorry for your actions, you can receive a grant of leniency. But if you go into court and flat out tell the judge "I did it and she deserved it" - you get the full force of law thrown at you. I'd venture to guess that if these Hollywood Pedo's are ever outed, they won't feel comfortable enough to admit their actions, and then go as far as to try to have the City of Hollywood officially defend it as being "OK". There's simply a difference in culture...
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sexual Assault - Southern Definition

Aussiesuede wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Doesn't matter.

Actually it does matter. Lack of remorse matters. If you go into court and convince a judge that you are truly sorry for your actions, you can receive a grant of leniency. But if you go into court and flat out tell the judge "I did it and she deserved it" - you get the full force of law thrown at you. I'd venture to guess that if these Hollywood Pedo's are ever outed, they won't feel comfortable enough to admit their actions, and then go as far as to try to have the City of Hollywood officially defend it as being "OK". There's simply a difference in culture...

What I mean is... it doesn't matter what reason you are using to paint a region with a broad brush. Especially with something so disgusting.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Age is so arbitrary. My daughter should not be able to consent until she is 30. I just don't think she's going to really be a woman that really comprehends what she is doing in life until then.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Isn't it still supposed to be sexual assault even if she was over the age of consent? There's an inherent power dynamic that's supposed to be make that illegal.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject:

And here I thought that they'd define assault if the aspirin they prescribe to stop the pregnancy worked...

Bleach. Fully corrupted government...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sexual Assault - Southern Definition

Aussiesuede wrote:

This is cringeworthy. An anonymous official gets quoted saying something, and you think they don't see the problem with saying these things out loud on the record. Then some activist seizes on the comment to generate some publicity, even though it has nothing to do with what actually happened in the jail or what is happening in the litigation. You go jumping on the bandwagon with a silly grin on your face because it happened in the south.

I guess its time for you to go write another post about how Trump supporters are uninformed, gullible, and bigoted.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject:

brutal
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

The more you look at this poor girls life, the more gut wrenching it is. She endured Multiple rapes, molestations & attempted murders. Then they think it's a good idea to try to blame her for the lastest rape horror she had to endur. Just reprehensible....

Quote:
In a small, windowless courtroom where bailiffs outnumbered spectators, a judge listened patiently to testimony from psychologists and other witnesses for almost a week, although a resolution to the case before him is a long way off.

The issue before District Judge George Larke is whether the people of Terrebonne Parish should pay money to a woman sexually abused at the age of 14 by a juvenile detention guard whose job was to keep her safe and, if so, how much.

The civil suit against the now-imprisoned guard, Angelo Vickers, and the Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Government alleges officials should have known Mary Doe – a fictitious name given to protect the victim’s identity – was at risk and that Vickers was improperly supervised.

As part of its defense, attorneys for the parish say the court should consider what they maintain was Mary Doe’s consent to sex with the guard, and that the amount of damages, if awarded, should be adjusted accordingly.

Quote:

“Vickers could not have engaged in sexual relations within the walls of the detention center with (the victim) without cooperation from her,” legal papers filed by the parish’s attorneys read. “Vickers did not use force, violence or intimidation when engaging in sexual relations.”

That has some victim advocates fuming.

Marci Hamilton, a nationally recognized sex crime victim advocate and professor at Benjamin Cardozo Law School in New York, who once clerked for U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, is among experts who question the validity of the parish’s argument.

Quote:
“The defense has no basis in law,” Hamilton said. “She is a victim of statutory rape. The age of consent in Louisiana is 17. The defense is also offensive to sex assault victims everywhere.”

Advocates – and attorneys for the girl – say it is impossible for a 14-year-old to give any kind of consent to sex, especially within the walls of a detention center, to a man who controls her every move.

Terrebonne Parish President Michel Claudet said he could not comment on the case itself but expressed confidence in the work attorneys are doing on behalf of the parish.

Quote:
“We have attorneys working for us and they have to take certain actions that they feel are necessary to our interests,” Claudet said.

Some parish officials told of the defense strategy expressed concern that attorneys for a community that prides itself on strides made combating sexual abuse and aiding youngsters who fall prey to it would take such an approach.

Others say they understand the hardball tactic, noting their opinions on the baggage Mary Doe and other young women victimized at the detention center brought with them.

Informed of the parish’s defense, Katie Schwartzmann, director of the nonprofit Southern Poverty Law Center’s New Orleans office, expressed concern.

Quote:
“The parish’s argument that a 14-year-old child could consent to sex with an adult in any context is disturbing,” Schwartzmann said. “In the jail or prison context, power dynamics between children and adults are even more skewed. When a child is in custody, guards have complete coercive control over every aspect of that child’s life. The argument that a child could consent to sex with an adult prison guard is, frankly, shocking.”

Mary Doe, now 20 and the mother of two children, suffers from several psychiatric disorders, according to testimony from doctors and information in court papers.

The die was cast for a life of tragedy, according to facts presented in the case, from the time she was just out of toddlerhood.

According to court papers and testimony, the girl was sexually molested at the age of 5 by her swimming teacher, and at the age of 9 by a construction worker.

During that same year, her mother was killed in an auto wreck; a year later, she was raped by an uncle and those assaults continued for two years. During that time, court papers say, the uncle gave the girl alcohol, heroin, marijuana, cocaine and methamphetamine.

Quote:
“He also tried to kill her on three different occasions, once trying to slit her throat,” the court papers read, going on to say that at the age of 11 she was raped by her step-sister’s cousin. In addition, she was largely incarcerated from the ages of 10 through 18 in seven different facilities.

Culture of Abuse
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: