OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1166, 1167, 1168 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golden_Emperor_24K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
DLO is a very skilled player and should have a huge role. Whether he's 1A or 1B is really a mute point at 20 years old. I really hope the Lakers get Ingram and then sign what fits better than trying for the homerun. Derozan and some solid rotation guys and I'll be set. DLO will have many many more opportunities this season to shine and I'm confident he will.

I think ingram alone will give Dlo a lot more asst. Kobe received most passes from Dlo but wasn't efficient. Add a good p&r big man like Whiteside and Dlo will be diming all day.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

The team will have a more balanced offense this season, I am not sure there will even be a clear cut #1 option. It will be geared to getting the best shot, no matter who shoots the ball.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/...ft-dangelo-russell-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram

Great article on D'Angelo's progress last season. I've said all along I think he would be great and I've seen nothing to make me change that opinion. As crazy as it sounds that shooting slump he had at the end of the year was actually encouraging to me because he was still being aggressive, still got to the basket, still was able to get seperation and get quality looks. D'Lo simply had no legs and of course the tape fiasco didn't help matters.

The kid is just so smart. Kobe had a quote where he said D'Angelo was already playing and thinking two or three steps ahead. How many 19/20 year old kids play like that in year 1? Not many. Only the truly great ones. It's one thing to see things develop, but to able to anticipate where the defense is gonna be or how they're gonna defend a certain action instantly gives you an advantage. It's the same way guys like Steve Nash absolutely shredded defenses despite never being super athletic. Obviously improved strength specifically in his legs will help D'Angelo handle the physical nature of this game.

Most three point shots made I believe for a rookie Laker so his shot is already pretty solid. He made some strides defensively. He's become adept at getting in passing lanes. With his length he's hard for other point guards who are usually smaller to shoot over him. It allows him to recover easier if he gets blown by.

D'Angelo does need to add more of a variety of moves once he gets inside. He has a nice little floater, but he still gets blocked too often. He is crafty with the ball, but I'd like to see him add at least a couple of different shots around the rim.

It's no secret D'Angelo had his ups and downs in his rookie season. He struggled at times. Looked lost and even overwhelmed at times. Other times he looked fantastic. I felt like after that initial rough patch at the beginning of the season he really found his way. He started playing a better speed. Not going too fast, not going to slow. Just playing a nice pace that allowed himself to flourish more and be more under control and in a better rhythm.

His passing skills were apparent Day 1. What I felt really progressed was him starting to find that line between being a play maker and over passing and playing too tentative. He started to be more aggressive with his shot and he realized that would open his game up. People worried about his ability to drive past defenders, but I never really felt like that was an issue for him. He wasn't constantly blowing by players, but he was able to get to his spots. Whether that be on the wing, in the post, and I thought he was very good in pick and rolls. When D'Angelo was the initiator of the offense I felt like things ran much more smoothly and crisply. He often redirected guys and got them in their right positions.

That's not say he doesn't have room to grow. He tends to get too cute in close quarters, dribble too low, and exposing the basketball in the process. He's a decent handler, but not great like Steph. He can improve that because the latter wasn't a great ball handler when he was a rookie. It came with hours and hours of hard work and repetition.

We've already seen videos of D'Angelo working on his game as well as working out and trying to get stronger. That's one sign of a superstar in the making. As I mentioned he's clearly a student of the game. That's another big sign. The thing that really sold me were two specific games. At Minnesota and Vs Brooklyn. Really took over down the stretch of both games and to a certain extent that wild near comeback win against the Kings. You could just see a certain look in his eyes. He was not afraid of the moment. He wanted the moment, he wanted the ball in his hands and he made huge plays. Some people thought he was being over cocky when he said "y'all ain't seen nothing yet", but really it goes right along with what I'm talking about.

The kid knows he's good, but he wants to be great and confidence is a big factor in that. Believing in your abilities, but more importantly believing that nobody can stop you when you're on your A game. D'Angelo has that belief in himself. He's willing to be that guy to either make that shot or miss it and he also clearly showed he can take over a game and carry the team. I just think the kid has the whole package. We know he can shoot, he knows how to navigate and attack on screen and rolls, we saw his postgame really showcased later in the season, defensively he still isn't good, but he has gotten better, he still does tend to get blocked a lot at the basket so he's gonna need more of a variety of shots around the hoop, and also when that strength comes being able to take contact and draw more fouls, and by working on his handles he'll be able to be able to create space easier next season.

I'm excited for next season because I know D'Angelo and Julius aren't half the players they're gonna be maybe not even a third and yet they both have already shown key elements you see from great players. We're about to add another extremely talented kid as well. If it's Simmons there will need to be an adjustment for both as they both like the ball in their hands although D'Angelo obviously had to play without quite a lot last season, but I have faith they'll be able to make that adjustment. These are two young guys who've played together so there is a familiarity. If it's Ingram then you have a legit floor spacer so teams can't trap and ice D'Angelo as aggressively as they did a season ago. Then of course on the other end we can switch at all five spots if we trot out a lineup of D'Angelo, JC, Julius, Nance Jr, and of course Ingram as opposed to being left with someone like Hibbert on a guard like last season. Ingram is also a great fit for Luke's offense. He can play the role of Klay and have our own version of Steph/Klay. Either way we're gonna be so exciting to watch next year even if we only win 25-30 games.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
DLO is a very skilled player and should have a huge role. Whether he's 1A or 1B is really a mute point at 20 years old. I really hope the Lakers get Ingram and then sign what fits better than trying for the homerun. Derozan and some solid rotation guys and I'll be set. DLO will have many many more opportunities this season to shine and I'm confident he will.

I think ingram alone will give Dlo a lot more asst. Kobe received most passes from Dlo but wasn't efficient. Add a good p&r big man like Whiteside and Dlo will be diming all day.

I think Dlo assists will really go up if we give him a pick n roll partner because he has a great timing on the pnr, but one more weapon from distance can also help a bit to get his assists up, but in this case I think everybody will benefit from the space since Kobe wasn't really a thread from distance last season, it was all about JC and Dlo catching and shooting.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Golden_Emperor_24K wrote:
http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/5/23/11736824/la-lakers-draft-dangelo-russell-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram
Should Lakers hand the key over to Dlo regardless who we draft or sign and let him be the #1 option on this team. Or is it too soon? Rather we need to let him be the primary ball handler and dictate what the defense gives him. I feel like with more weapons on the floor Dlo will be a more lethal scorer and passer. After all OH state succeeded with being the focal pt of the offense.

I'd say give the keys to Russell and what seems like it will be Ingram. I think Ingram would be the Lakers #1 option pretty much by season two. He's the guy who you give the ball to when it's time to win the game. Russell will probably be our #1b. Randle and Clarkson will probably fill in the gaps after that. Randle will be a double double guy, but I don't see him ever being a big time scorer in this league. As for Clarkson, it seemed like he was playing a little over his head at times this year. He's a very talented guard, but not someone you want being your #1 guy. For Clarkson, "less is best". Meaning that by reducing his time with the ball in his hand, playing off the ball more, and being in attack mode a little less, he will probably become a more efficient player. After a season of letting Kobe do his thing, I'd like to see these guys handed the keys to the car.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Offseason: D’Angelo Russell Already Looking Stronger

https://lakeshowlife.com/2016/05/22/lakers-offseason-dangelo-russell-summer-weight-training-looking-stronger-tim-difrancesco/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject:

The second pick will be D'Angelo Russell's second banana

Quote:
A pyrrhic debate rages on through Laker Nation as to who the team will pick with the second selection in the draft. But the truth? It doesn't matter. Because they already have a number one.

Quote:
But on a more realistic level, it won't matter who their new rookie is. Because whoever he is will be playing second fiddle to D'Angelo Russell.

In the last two and a half months of the season, Russell started to look more like the second pick of the draft and less like a 19-year-old point guard. He averaged 15/3/3 on a relatively decent .406/.388/.774 shooting line, all while taking nearly 13 shots a game in 30 plus minutes per game.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/5/23/11736824/la-lakers-draft-dangelo-russell-ben-simmons-brandon-ingram
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
moot
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject:

I think D'Lo has to potential to be great, but I also think it's a mistake for so many to just hand him to the keys to the kingdom.

I haven't seen anything that should make anybody say "This is D'Angelo's team". He has to earn it and he has to compete with his teammates for that role.

Kobe, Magic, and West had to earn it, so D'Angelo should have to earn it too.

I'll say again, I think the kid has the potential to be a superstar, but he's gotta earn it.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
I think D'Lo has to potential to be great, but I also think it's a mistake for so many to just hand him to the keys to the kingdom.

I haven't seen anything that should make anybody say "This is D'Angelo's team". He has to earn it and he has to compete with his teammates for that role.

He had a superb month for such a young guard after the all star game. Before that he was subpar for most games and latter he struggled with Lou coming back from injury, but if that month was not a fluke I've seen enough signs to believe he is a great scorer in the making. Still too early to give him keys to anything but the starting job if we don't sign a quality guard.

Last edited by nash on Mon May 23, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:

I'll say again, I think the kid has the potential to be a superstar, but he's gotta earn it.

You don't think going through what he went through last year was the first step in earning it?

If he comes in and takes over, that's clearly earning it.

I have high hopes for D'LO and I think next year we're going to see a monster.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject:

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-could-select-dragan-bender-with-second-overall-draft-pick/2016/05/23/

This guy is a tool. He said it's hard to argue the Lakers taking D'Angelo over Porzingis if there was a re draft. Then his argument was Porzingis had a bunch of dunks and was fourth is jersey sales while D'Angelo was up and down. What a (bleep) idiot. Everyone crowned Porzingis after one good month and he was mediocre at best after that. D'Angelo was every bit as good as anyone not named Towns so there's no evidence that they should've gone in a different direction.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Truck Turner wrote:

You don't think going through what he went through last year was the first step in earning it?

If he comes in and takes over, that's clearly earning it.

I have high hopes for D'LO and I think next year we're going to see a monster.

Nope, that's like saying Kobe being benched by Del Harris was his first step in "earning it"....We'll see this upcoming season what progress D'Lo will make under Luke Walton.

I have high hopes for Russell too, but none of our young players have earned the keys to the Lakers kingdom yet.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-could-select-dragan-bender-with-second-overall-draft-pick/2016/05/23/

This guy is a tool. He said it's hard to argue the Lakers taking D'Angelo over Porzingis if there was a re draft. Then his argument was Porzingis had a bunch of dunks and was fourth is jersey sales while D'Angelo was up and down. What a (bleep) idiot. Everyone crowned Porzingis after one good month and he was mediocre at best after that. D'Angelo was every bit as good as anyone not named Towns so there's no evidence that they should've gone in a different direction.

lakersnation is trash. Do yourself a favor and don't read their garbage. Bonus: you don't give them page views.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

Expectations play a role in things too.

The expectations for D'Lo (and the rest of our young guys) was just downright unfair. People expected him to make an immediate impact and help Kobe get into the playoffs.

People assumed Porzingis was going to be another Euro bust like Darko. When she showed flashes of brilliance the NY hype machine went into over drive the same way it did with Jeremy Lin.

Really think about it, people that post on this board and even people in the media were saying the Lakers made a mistake after summer league games.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:

lakersnation is trash. Do yourself a favor and don't read their garbage. Bonus: you don't give them page views.

I like looking at Serena too much to quit them.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Lakersnation is full of garbage, I agree. They have amateur writers. Their articles are littered with inarticulate writing and grammatical errors.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
The second pick will be D'Angelo Russell's second banana

Quote:
A pyrrhic debate rages on through Laker Nation as to who the team will pick with the second selection in the draft. But the truth? It doesn't matter. Because they already have a number one.

Quote:
But on a more realistic level, it won't matter who their new rookie is. Because whoever he is will be playing second fiddle to D'Angelo Russell.

In the last two and a half months of the season, Russell started to look more like the second pick of the draft and less like a 19-year-old point guard. He averaged 15/3/3 on a relatively decent .406/.388/.774 shooting line, all while taking nearly 13 shots a game in 30 plus minutes per game.

you left out the best part,
For the whole season, D'Angelo was like Leo in The Revenant except there were 15 bears and he had a sack of Legos instead of a gun. It wasn't a good situation.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject:

I think at this point at worse case Russel is projecting into a solid starter to border line all star level player
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I feel like DLOs impact will go up exponentially with the quality of teammates he's sharing the floor with. Between the offense sucking and lacking guys who can finish, his passing was completely marginalized. This dude has vision and with new sets and better finishers he's going to blow up.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Swap curry with dlo on gsw and gsw is up 3-1
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
lmao!
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lmao!

You just lost you place as Dlo fan
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lmao!

You just lost you place as Dlo fan

Knock it off.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Did y'all see the happy birthday Mitch pic that DLO put on instagram?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1166, 1167, 1168 ... 2863, 2864, 2865  Next
Page 1167 of 2865
Jump to: