Obama Kills the Eskimo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Obama Kills the Eskimo

Quote:
In 1790, the U.S. Census counted people by lumping them into one of three categories – slaves, free white females and males, or all other free persons.

By 1980, the categories had gone through nearly 20 deviations. People could identify as one of 15 possibilities, including now-derogatory words such as “Negro.” These classifications might shed some light on why some federal laws from that time contain outdated verbiage that’s now being addressed.

After it was unanimously passed with 380 votes, President Barack Obama signed H.R. 4238 on Friday, which amends two federal acts from the ’70s that define “minorities” with terms that are now insensitive or outdated.

The Department of Energy Act has for decades described “minorities” as, “a Negro, Puerto Rican, American Indian, Eskimo, Oriental, or Aleut or is a Spanish speaking individual of Spanish descent.”

The new bill changes the language to, “Asian American, Native Hawaiian, a Pacific Islander, African American, Hispanic, Puerto Rican, Native American, or an Alaska Native.” There’s also similar language in the Local Public Works Capital Development and Investment Act.

Eskimo No Mo
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't aware that Negro was derogatory. I just noticed that it seemed to stop being used.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Many Asian Americans that I've worked with never really had a problem with "Oriental" when filling out RFPs or survey forms, whenever we did work for a government entity or government contractor.

I suppose some might, but in my limited experience there wasn't a problem. Perhaps the feds just want to have some consistency when classifying ethnicity.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

The Mighty Quinn may have something to say about this.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: