New shooting form thread/theory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
KIROE's schedule this week:

1. Zach Lowe podcast
2. The Ringer with Bill Simmons
3. Nate Duncan's podcast
4. David Locke's podcast.
5. TWC with Dave Miller who talks about how his lack of hair made him a killer shooter.

Hahaha that's hilarious. I would def settle for just the players taking heed to this bro, I think it's huge to getting a proper stroke
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Just catching up on LG and saw your video on the DLO thread - interesting theory KIROE, congrats as well!

hey appreciate it!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject:

Can anyone think of dead-eye shooters who had a huge fro?

Rip Hamilton had a huge 'do but always braided/cornrowed it.

Kahwai probably the same, though not sure I'm ready to call him a dead-eye shooter.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I do notice though when I used to have spiky hair that was gelled high up, it would sometimes alter how I shot the ball. Like it was a hindrance. So I think the theory makes some sense.

...yeup..
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I do notice though when I used to have spiky hair that was gelled high up, it would sometimes alter how I shot the ball. Like it was a hindrance. So I think the theory makes some sense.

So that begs the question of what happened to Jeremy Lin's shot when he had that spiked up foolishness for much of this past season
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So that begs the question of what happened to Jeremy Lin's shot when he had that spiked up foolishness for much of this past season

Lin is a shoulder shooter, but he also didn't shoot well this season..
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

This might be peak LG-in-Summer.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
TDRock wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lin is a shoulder shooter, but he also didn't shoot well this season..

yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

Curry had grown some fro in the past two years, does it affect his shooting percentage in any way?

I love basketball. *Metta voice*
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
Curry had grown some fro in the past two years, does it affect his shooting percentage in any way?

no he has really short arms(wingspan) and a mediocre standing reach, therefor he can have a short release that he finishes at his face. Same with Dame. Kyrie. Austin Rivers(very low reach).

Some guys also elevate more to be able to shoot something with less of an arch at the rim, I don't think that work-around is optimal.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject:

I studied my own release and don't shoot this way. My hands never touch my head, and my release point is an inch or so in front of my forehead. Not that I could grow a fro or anything.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject:

K28 wrote:
I studied my own release and don't shoot this way. My hands never touch my head, and my release point is an inch or so in front of my forehead. Not that I could grow a fro or anything.

are you more of a jumpshooter than a medium or set-shooter? yea some players don't have the length to release from higher up.
(also kind of wouldn't be surprised if the ball indeed hit your hairline when you shoot)
but yea there are players who do and don't
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
WHO GON GET A CAMERA AND TEST THIS THEORY?
100 shots with a fro
100 shots without
I would...but I gots schoolin to do
Who on this forum has a marginally decent jumpshot with a fro they aren't attached to...the streets need this

I would be the dude for this job!

But my jumper is broken and I can't grow my hair out long enough for a fro anymore
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
annnd I'm back to loving GT.
two hours to get it off my psyche loll

shooot im excited now. The vid is on 12,000 views says the analytics, but the view counter is often 2 days behind youtube people say.
And i have complex sports interview tomorrow. this is really gunna go viral. deng.

Lol, there's no need to get upset with me, bro. I just disagree with your theory. There are obviously plenty of people out there who don't. I hope you get a ton of views and exposure.

Eh, I value your opinion a lot and the im very passionate about this vid/theory so that can just be a bit of a combustible combo. But I have perspective man, tons, you're the homie for sure ; extremely well liked here. and a disagreement or two doesn't change how you're viewed at all
Got a lot of perspective, I'm enjoying forging bonds here , there's no strain on em.
Big group hugd

Haha, indeed. We'd be arguing this (bleep) in person if we could.

Ha! That would be funny. Hopefully soon man. Won't be able to make summer league but early next season some of us gotta catch a game , even if at a restaurant or something.

No doubt.

Y'all better PM me when this goes down! I wanna do Summer League this year but I'll be just getting back from Cambodia right before it starts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

how do u explain frobe vs kobe?!? FG% and 3PT% all comparable
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
how do u explain frobe vs kobe?!? FG% and 3PT% all comparable

Well first of all - every players length is different and determines how far they can extend over their head comfortably. But players who it effects you see it in the trajectories. Also https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BOnydY3CAAAok11.jpg this fro wasn't that high in the 3peat and it was receding lmaooo.

Prime Kobe shot all kinds of difficult shots. Frobe was more in the system. Prime/bald Kobe could shoot from 35ft at the end of a shot clock easily, I don't think Frobe had that range.
Also Kobe really elevated on his shot and shot a line drive, so he didn't have to go Up and Over much. That's a work around
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject:

Hairdressers about to change up their game with respect to NBA clientele.

Imagine a bald Robin Lopez coming next year shooting 60% from 3s.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
K28 wrote:

are you more of a jumpshooter than a medium or set-shooter? yea some players don't have the length to release from higher up.
(also kind of wouldn't be surprised if the ball indeed hit your hairline when you shoot)
but yea there are players who do and don't

I do have short arms (and am only 5'9"). I usually jump on my shot, but need the release point to be in front of my head in order to align it properly with my guide hand.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

We've heard anph spittin hot fire on YT. We got to hear GT's melodious voice in the Luke to the Lakers series, and now we get to hear KIROEs on the bball breakdown podcast. I can't wait!
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

If a player shoots the ball directly above their head ala Kevin Garnett, then yes, i can see how having a huge fro can sometimes affect the shot. But, if someone were to shoot with 'proper' form, and by proper i mean the shooting arm is bent in a 90 degree angle with the triceps parallel to the floor and the ball positioned so it just-frames the rim, then I don't see how hair can affect that jump shot. The truth is a lot of players in the NBA have butt ugly form, theres only a few that have the type of form that personally stand out to me, one is Chris Mullin. That shooting arm is as close as you can get it to be 90 degrees. To me thats the most important part of a jump shot.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/pictures/chris-mullin-of-the-golden-state-warriors-takes-a-jump-shot-news-photo-84267194#chris-mullin-of-the-golden-state-warriors-takes-a-jump-shot-during-a-picture-id84267194

Another player that demonstrates this form is Steve Nash

https://www.google.com/search?q=carmelo+anthony&espv=2&biw=1341&bih=731&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHhfno8YnNAhVL52MKHTjHASwQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=steve+nash+jump+shot&imgrc=QaZ2olAv0la0fM%3A
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject:

Almost 21K views I don't get home until 6 today and tomorrow, but I'm gonna try shooting from the head when I play in the park on Saturday.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Going to be on the Bballbreakdown podcast, just talked to Coach Nick.

I might take a bit of credit for this, KIROE. I shot nick a message after I watched the vid, thought it'd be good for his breakdown. Good luck!

FACT: Magic's outside push shot got better in his career as his hair got shorter. Although, considering how he shot, maybe it was shoulder hair.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Going to be on the Bballbreakdown podcast, just talked to Coach Nick.

I might take a bit of credit for this, KIROE. I shot nick a message after I watched the vid, thought it'd be good for his breakdown. Good luck!

FACT: Magic's outside push shot got better in his career as his hair got shorter. Although, considering how he shot, maybe it was shoulder hair.

wow, thank you a lot man. really appreciate it
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
If a player shoots the ball directly above their head ala Kevin Garnett, then yes, i can see how having a huge fro can sometimes affect the shot. But, if someone were to shoot with 'proper' form, and by proper i mean the shooting arm is bent in a 90 degree angle with the triceps parallel to the floor and the ball positioned so it just-frames the rim, then I don't see how hair can affect that jump shot. The truth is a lot of players in the NBA have butt ugly form, theres only a few that have the type of form that personally stand out to me, one is Chris Mullin. That shooting arm is as close as you can get it to be 90 degrees. To me thats the most important part of a jump shot.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/pictures/chris-mullin-of-the-golden-state-warriors-takes-a-jump-shot-news-photo-84267194#chris-mullin-of-the-golden-state-warriors-takes-a-jump-shot-during-a-picture-id84267194

Another player that demonstrates this form is Steve Nash

https://www.google.com/search?q=carmelo+anthony&espv=2&biw=1341&bih=731&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHhfno8YnNAhVL52MKHTjHASwQ_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=steve+nash+jump+shot&imgrc=QaZ2olAv0la0fM%3A

no man, it's all in the video. And all stems from an up and over release. Even if you only take the ball back barely two inches past your hairline, you do that to finish your shot high - you will finish it OUT if you can't take it to that spot.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Tox:
Quote:
KIROE, a bit OT, but in most of these vids, the elbow isn't really at 90 degrees at the setpoint. Closer to 70-75 degrees or so. Is this recommended? Besides Steph it seems most NBA players aren't at 90 deg. I find I can't get enough power with a 90 degree shot (works for midrange tho), but obviously if the elbow isn't at 90 then the motion becomes slightly two motion. Not great for an average-athleticism 5'9 guy

I think the 1motion vs 2 motion thing isn't so cut and dry. It's really more about having a set-point or not. A set point is a point you take the ball to and then you start your shot pocket/up&over motion from there.
Better described like that, because - even a bigman like Biyombo who takes the ball to the back of his head and then flinging the ball on a rope at the hoop - he's doing that in one motion. It's not *take it back* *pause* *shooting motion forward* . It's one motion, really. That's a big advice of mine with shooting, one motion, but in that sense. That's huge.
Even Harden, and all of those great shooter in the vid like you said, don't do the 90degree angle - the ball is going back at an angle.
Durant cockcsback but from the set-point to the release its one motion, and that is absolutely key.
Steph has no set point at all

Gotcha. Yeah the 1 motion or 2 motion thing is confusing since people mean different things by it.

My question was definitely about the cockback, I agree it should be fluid all the way through. As far as set points go, I have one because Steph's form to me is magic and I gave up figuring out how to replicate his. But it sounds like you think some cockback isn't a big problem as long as it's fluid getting there. That's good since I've been trying to get rid of on my jumper but getting rid of it makes even the college 3 nearly impossible lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: