David Robinson's son a rising star in football

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: David Robinson's son a rising star in football

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1315743

Quote:

Adam Gorney
Recruiting Analyst

SAN ANTONIO - David Robinson thinks this is fun.

The former San Antonio Spurs star and NBA Hall of Famer sat on a folding table with his overly long legs dangling off, and in-between taking pictures and shaking hands Robinson followed his son, Corey Robinson, around the Alamodome at Friday's U.S. Army National Combine.

Corey Robinson is coming into his own as a football player.
Robinson's son is a 6-foot-4, 195-pound wide receiver from San Antonio Christian, and even though he's admittedly raw, the potential is evident.

Keeping things in perspective when one's father is wearing a glimmering diamond ring from one of his NBA championships could be difficult. Robinson is so affable, though, that it comes easy to him and his family.

Between the two Robinsons, there is seemingly no ego.

"Expectations always put things out of perspective," David Robinson said. "I told him you can only do what you can do. Academics are really No. 1 and that's where I try to keep his focus. He's fifth or sixth in his class and I've always told him even if you get a football scholarship he has to prepare himself for the long term."

Sports were not a lifelong focus of Corey Robinson, whom his father called a "Renaissance kid", and so football has only become serious in the last few years. He started playing as a freshman because his older brother did and over time Robinson started falling in love with it.

San Antonio Christian runs the ball often so Robinson did not put up big statistics this past season, but he had impressive moments at the combine and proved he could get Division I offers.

"The first thing I can say about Corey as a player is he's raw," said San Antonio Christian offensive coordinator and receivers coach Brandon Parrott, who played at Kansas. "The kid has been playing for two years and he just figured out this season that he could be pretty good.

"He gets bigger by the day, he has an unbelievable set of hands so if you just put the ball close to him he goes and gets it. Day by day he's learning how great of a player he can be."

So new to football, Robinson was working on his 40-yard dash stance just days ago. Things like getting off the line and pumping his arms properly were in focus. When he was told, jokingly, that he was timed at 6.2 seconds on his first attempt, Robinson showed surprise and disappointment.

His time was much faster.

"I was surprised because some of these kids are way faster than me and they got 4.6s and 4.7s and I was like, 'Oh my gosh,'" Robinson said. "I almost believed it for a second. I was like, 'Oh dude.'

"It's such a learning experience. I know I can get better and I'm learning so much all the time. There are so many great coaches here and they're all helping me out."

Prior to his freshman season, Robinson dabbled in sports. None were taken too seriously. Football, tennis and, not surprisingly, basketball were all toyed with but now the San Antonio Christian recruit is focused about becoming a standout football player. He's intent on making his own name.

Robinson is putting in the work, making lots of progress according to his coaches and through it all, having fun. With his dad smiling on the sidelines, talking with youth players, taking pictures, shaking hands and even chatting with Army chief of staff Ray Odierno, it was a full day for both Robinsons.

David Robinson was 6 feet 4 as a high school senior and now stands 7-1.
Nothing was too big or unimportant. Nothing seemed a bother. Even though the Robinson family has been to the heights of the NBA, soaking in a high school football combine seemed just as exciting.

"If you could play Division I college football, that's the top of the world," David Robinson said. "I told him to just take it one step at a time, you get to play high school football now, that's a lot of fun and if you get the chance to play college football that's incredible so I just try to temper his expectations.

"Playing in the NFL is a pie-in-the-sky dream. I could have never guessed I would have gotten to the NBA, needless to say Hall of Fame and all that stuff. I just try to keep it real with him and he has a great mentality. I'm biased I guess because I'm his dad but he's like the best kid in the world."

Recruiting has been slow for Robinson but that's not dissimilar to his father, who played at Navy but was overlooked by bigger programs even through his senior season.

"In my senior year we had some college coaches come to my senior year basketball games and they were looking at somebody else," David Robinson said.

The more exposure and the more work Robinson puts in, colleges could definitely start showing interest. He thinks being 6 feet 6 - if not taller - is not out of the question, especially since his dad was 6-4 in his senior season of high school before growing to over 7-feet.

"I have the genes and I have the athleticism, I just have to tap it," Corey Robinson said. "It just takes time."

According to his position coach, Robinson is dedicated and will put in the work to be successful. According to David Robinson, seeing his son compete in the Alamadome is just tops.

"It's fun for me to watch him because he's getting his own space," he said. "He's not only David's kid. He's doing his own thing."

And doing it well.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject:

If he hits a growth spurt, I think a savvy football coach could use a 7'1 WR.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Unless his Mom is a dwarf he is garunteed to hit at least 6'7". He should start playing basketball, he'd be too injury prone in the NFL at 6'7"+.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject:

TheVujacicFan wrote:
he'd be too injury prone in the NFL at 6'7"+.

Do you think people would call him a mermaid?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject:

He's 6'5 and so far appears as good as advertised for ND
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject:

If he hits a growth spurt like his dad, he needs to ditch football asap and switch to basketball.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
If he hits a growth spurt like his dad, he needs to ditch football asap and switch to basketball.

If he hits a growth spurt like his dad, he needs to ditch football asap and switch to curling.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

This makes me sad but his health is more important.

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sports-cfb/20160615/20160615180604929517508/?cid=featuredsports_media_notredame

Quote:
Concussions end career of Notre Dame WR Corey Robinson

SOUTH BEND, Ind. (AP) — Notre Dame's Corey Robinson, the son of former NBA great David Robinson and the most experienced wide receiver on the Fighting Irish roster, is walking away from football because of multiple concussions.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound senior said Wednesday he had reached his decision ''after much contemplation and prayer.'' Robinson, who will continue with the team as a student assistant, said he was grateful for the opportunity to play at Notre Dame and looked ''forward to a great senior year.''

Robinson had missed most of spring practice after suffering a concussion at one of the first few practices. He met in April with Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, a sports neurologist who specializes in concussion management and treatment.

Coach Brian Kelly said he knows it was a difficult decision for Robinson because he wanted to finish his four-year career on the field.

''He was so excited to lead a group of young receivers this fall,'' Kelly said.

The Irish lost four of their top five receivers from last season. Torii Hunter Jr. was the only returner with more catches last season than Robinson, who has more games under his belt and finishes his career with 65 catches for 896 yards and seven touchdowns.

Robinson had a disappointing junior season as he struggled with dropped passes, finishing sixth on the team in receptions with 16 catches for 200 yards with one touchdown. He was second on the team as a sophomore with 40 catches for 539 yards and five touchdowns.

Robinson, who is from San Antonio, was elected student body president in February and is an outstanding student. He applied to be Rhodes scholar and to be a Fulbright scholar, but was unsuccessful in both. He has said he plans to apply again to be a Rhodes scholar, saying he wants to study ''with the best and brightest minds.''

Kelly said Robinson set a remarkable example for Irish players ''not only how to represent yourself on and off the field but also how working hard through adversity can lead to tremendous success.''
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: