Kay Jewelers accused of swapping out diamonds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Kay Jewelers accused of swapping out diamonds

This is a follow-up story to a slowly-unfolding scandal:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-15/kay-jewelers-owner-steps-up-promotions-amid-gem-swapping-scandal

Kay Jewelers is owned by Signet Jewelers, who also own Zales and Jared. If you had a diamond ring or something cleaned by them, you might have had your stone swapped out. It might be a case of simple negligence, but a number of fly-by-night mall-based jewelers have been pulling this crap for decades. I know of one friend who went to a mall-based jewelry chain many years ago, and complained that her diamond didn't look the same. She was right, the stone had a distinct yellow tone that was unlike the diamond she had flashed earlier.

If you take your diamond in to get it cleaned, make sure you have documentary evidence of the stone, including exact weight, GIA certification and especially any inclusions or carbon spots. While some jewelers are scummy, it surprises me that one the size of Kay might have engaged in the diamond-swapping practice.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject:

Interesting. Now, it may not have been Kay, but, a single or small number of rogue employees acting on their own, right?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject:

I've never understood why people go to mall type jewelers like Kay etc. anyway. It's always struck me a cheap (as in cheesy, not inexpensive) and potentially shady way to go.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

I always go down pioneer street to one of the indian jewelers... they seem more legit
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

I've never understood the fascination with expensive jewelry. If it looks nice and is durable then why spend thousands upon thousands. I've bought women jewelry in the past and spent no more than $200 but it looked like a million bucks. You just have to select carefully.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
I've never understood the fascination with expensive jewelry. If it looks nice and is durable then why spend thousands upon thousands. I've bought women jewelry in the past and spent no more than $200 but it looked like a million bucks. You just have to select carefully.

Lots of folks purchase jewelry; mostly it's guys buying engagement rings or baubles for their wives or girlfriends. If you're spending a couple of hundred, then it doesn't matter. If you're spending thousands, you better research the stone so that you don't get cheated. If the stone is GIA certified, you should check to see if the price is right, based on your research. If the stone isn't certified, you should educate yourself about the desired color range, cut, clarity, etc.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Interesting. Now, it may not have been Kay, but, a single or small number of rogue employees acting on their own, right?

This reminds me of several incidents at a local wholefoods that I shop. Im not in the habit of checking what I bought at the store, but when I come home there were always a few items missing. I wonder if the cashiers think I wouldn't notice. Anyways, there was this one time where they forgot to hand me over an entire grocery bag. I understand if it happens once, innocent mistake but this kept happening so... always check your groceries before or when you get home.
GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kay Jewelers accused of swapping out diamonds

angrypuppy wrote:
This is a follow-up story to a slowly-unfolding scandal:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-15/kay-jewelers-owner-steps-up-promotions-amid-gem-swapping-scandal

Kay Jewelers is owned by Signet Jewelers, who also own Zales and Jared. If you had a diamond ring or something cleaned by them, you might have had your stone swapped out. It might be a case of simple negligence, but a number of fly-by-night mall-based jewelers have been pulling this crap for decades. I know of one friend who went to a mall-based jewelry chain many years ago, and complained that her diamond didn't look the same. She was right, the stone had a distinct yellow tone that was unlike the diamond she had flashed earlier.

If you take your diamond in to get it cleaned, make sure you have documentary evidence of the stone, including exact weight, GIA certification and especially any inclusions or carbon spots. While some jewelers are scummy, it surprises me that one the size of Kay might have engaged in the diamond-swapping practice.

This would never happen at Tiffany's
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

This reminds me of several incidents at a local wholefoods that I shop. Im not in the habit of checking what I bought at the store, but when I come home there were always a few items missing. I wonder if the cashiers think I wouldn't notice. Anyways, there was this one time where they forgot to hand me over an entire grocery bag. I understand if it happens once, innocent mistake but this kept happening so... always check your groceries before or when you get home.

Bags of whole foods groceries are worth more than diamonds on the black market
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I always hit up the self checkout. No one handles your stuff and you don't have to be pestered to sign up for the store credit card.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
GoldenChild wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I always hit up the self checkout. No one handles your stuff and you don't have to be pestered to sign up for the store credit card.

Of course you then become an employee of Whole Foods, without actually being paid for it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: