Laker Film Room - Flow Offense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject:

bonkers wrote:
Would be curious to see an evolution type video comparing the Warriors under Nelly/Suns under D'antoni to the current Warriors/what we can expect from Luke. I remember Fiend telling me something along the lines of those offenses being more primitive and relying more on tempo while the majority of the league was still playing plodding-type basketball

Great thought! Would love to see this as well!
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The way I see it, we'll be the 4th or 5th team to play this style, and the only one that's young that will be playing this way, with a variety of young guys whose skill set is multi-faceted. This next year will be teaching them how to play this way. How to set and use screens, how to react off of them, etc. I actually don't think it's going to take very long. We're in good shape.
The learning curve will be interesting to follow. The Hawks won I think 38 games in Budenholzer's first season (more vets on their roster), 60 in the second. I think we'll see a marked improvement over 17 wins, but still, my expectations aren't particularly high year 1.

This is actually a very interesting experiment. I don't think a system like this has ever been installed on such a young roster. The young guys will "grow up" in this system and ultimately become markedly different players than they otherwise would have become.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
The way I see it, we'll be the 4th or 5th team to play this style, and the only one that's young that will be playing this way, with a variety of young guys whose skill set is multi-faceted. This next year will be teaching them how to play this way. How to set and use screens, how to react off of them, etc. I actually don't think it's going to take very long. We're in good shape.
The learning curve will be interesting to follow. The Hawks won I think 38 games in Budenholzer's first season (more vets on their roster), 60 in the second. I think we'll see a marked improvement over 17 wins, but still, my expectations aren't particularly high year 1.

This is actually a very interesting experiment. I don't think a system like this has ever been installed on such a young roster. The young guys will "grow up" in this system and ultimately become markedly different players than they otherwise would have become.

Very well said. I don't have terribly high expectations either, with the caveat that we have so much cap space that the talent level on this team isn't yet decided. But yeah, "growing up" in this system is going to be tremendously beneficial for these guys. Even guys who played under Byron for 2 years like JC & Randle (sort of) probably haven't crystalized any habits.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject:

We've seen individual players grow up in the established Spurs system, and there certainly seem to be benefits. Their young clay tends to develop much better than that of most teams. Obvious example is Leonard. I highly doubt Leonard would have developed into a top 5 player had he been drafted to most other teams. Playing in a legit system while you're still learning the game probably results in a smarter (better) player longterm.

This is a unique situation because the system isn't yet established. You've got a bunch of young players and a young coach trying to figure things out on the fly. The crazy thing is all of these guys will start to hit their individual primes around the same time, 3-4 years or so from now. And that's exactly when we'd expect the system/chemistry to start to resemble its finished product.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: