Rebuilding slowly vs. Mortgaging the future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you are guaranteed to win only the next two championships over the span of the next 10 years, would you mortgage away the future and trade away 3 out of 4 of DLo, Randle, JC, #2 Pick?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 56 ]
No
39%
 39%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 93

ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
First, this is a silly poll. Second, the idea of guaranteeing years with no hope of winning a chip in return for 2 chips is even sillier. Who here doesn't entertain the idea of building another Lakers dynasty with at least another three-peat to add to the franchise's legacy? Right now we have a good young core and a promising new coach. That's a solid foundation to build on. It would be stupid to throw that away with some sort of deal with the devil.

yes, it's a silly poll. but you wouldn't take the 2 championships and run if given the chance?

No I would not. I'd rather have ten years of a team that contends every year than be back where we are now after just a couple years of success.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Is there even showtime without magic running the show?
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:
First, this is a silly poll. Second, the idea of guaranteeing years with no hope of winning a chip in return for 2 chips is even sillier. Who here doesn't entertain the idea of building another Lakers dynasty with at least another three-peat to add to the franchise's legacy? Right now we have a good young core and a promising new coach. That's a solid foundation to build on. It would be stupid to throw that away with some sort of deal with the devil.

yes, it's a silly poll. but you wouldn't take the 2 championships and run if given the chance?

No I would not. I'd rather have ten years of a team that contends every year than be back where we are now after just a couple years of success.

Boy that's risky though. I see teams like OKC, Memphis and the Clippers contending year after year and coming up short every single time and I wouldn't want to be like that. I would be very disappointed if we have players like Malone and Stockton together forever (like they were in Utah for over a decade) and don't win anything. I don't really consider the runs of those teams to be a success. Some would even call them a failure.

We've been really fortunate that our team has done as well as it has and it's easy for us to get spoiled as a result of that. Look at how much Boston has won since 1986. Look at how much Chicago has won since MJ. Just because you won before doesn't mean you will win again, especially when most of the other owners of the league are jealous of the Lakers success and will do what they can to make sure it doesn't continue. The team can't go and outbid teams anymore like it did for Shaq. The team wasn't even allowed to make the Chris Paul trade for "basketball reasons." Things are tougher now. And Jerry Buss isn't the owner anymore either.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

I also think some people are underestimating how big of a deal 2 championships is. 2 championships in 10 years is a championship every 5 years. If our team keeps winning that much Boston will quickly fall behind and never catch up.

And some teams don't even have one championship after decades of existing.

Golden State started to get a bunch of bandwagon fans around the time they were winning just their first championship since the 1970's.

Finally, I wish I could see the Dodgers win 2 championships. I haven't even seen them win one yet (was too young to see/remember the last one).
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
I also think some people are underestimating how big of a deal 2 championships is. 2 championships in 10 years is a championship every 5 years. If our team keeps winning that much Boston will quickly fall behind and never catch up.

Golden State started to get a bunch of bandwagon fans around the time they were winning just their first championship since the 1970's.

Finally, I wish I could see the Dodgers win 2 championships. I haven't even seen them win one yet (was too young to see/remember the last one).

Exactly. 2 chips in a decade is great success. I would take it 10 out of 10 times.

As far as the Dodgers go....man I'm waiting and waiting for that day
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Exactly. 2 chips in a decade is great success. I would take it 10 out of 10 times.

So in that case ... which would you rather do?

- Keep the young core of players we have, with a guarantee of 2 championships in the next 10 years.

or

- Trade away all of the young players for veterans, some stars, with no guarantee of playoff success over the next 10 years.

In other words, would you trade away 10 miserable non-rebuilding years for 2 chips?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

- Keep the young core of players we have, with a guarantee of 2 championships in the next 10 years.

or

- Trade away all of the young players for veterans, some stars, with no guarantee of playoff success over the next 10 years.

In other words, would you trade away 10 miserable non-rebuilding years for 2 chips?

I like the idea of watching a young team develop into a championship level team.

However, this summer is such a unique opportunity for us in that we can add superstar talent while putting together one of the best young core's in the NBA.

It's all a big if, but if we can move Lou, waive Nick and free up enough space for 3 max guys, this is the best way to lure Durant

Durant + Horford + Conley

Horford (30) / Black (10)/ Randle (8)
Randle (24) /Nance (24)
Durant (32) /Ingram (16) / Brown
Russell (32) /JC (10) / Ingram (6)
Conley (30) /JC (18) / Farmar

so much line up versatility there. and among the starters it's a perfect blend of talent. The bench tremendous upside and will only get stronger over time...

So I guess my answer is that this summer we can build a championship team over night while also not mortgaging the future
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

or

I'd take option 1...2 guaranteed chips is 2 guaranteed chips
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. You have to have the best players in the league and even then nothing is guaranteed.

2 guaranteed championships. That's gold.
TheDurianFruit1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
Yeah. You have to have the best players in the league and even then nothing is guaranteed.

2 guaranteed championships. That's gold.

I would agree as well, at first my reaction would be no as I grew up watching Kobe and I am spoiled and lucky enough to witness FIVE championships in my lifetime (he was drafted when I was 2 and im turning 22 this year ) but looking at Cleveland, that haven't won ANY sports championships in over 50 years up until a few days ago, having 2 championships in 10 years is a REALLY high success rate imo. The Suns with Nash/Mariom/Stoudemire were a championship calibre team and competed year in and year out but they just couldn't get it done. Im quite blessed that the Lakers are my hometown team
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
jjangx27 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

or

I'd take option 1...2 guaranteed chips is 2 guaranteed chips

I realize you responded to this 2 weeks ago, but, does this mean you would rather we NOT sign veteran players?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: