Could Lakers Bring Back Pau Gasol?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

No chance Pau is back next year. Too much of a liability defensively.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject:

Only way Pau Gasol considers the Lakers if they build a championship team.

That's not going to happen when it appears that it's very likely Durant stays in OKC.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject:

Yes!!! When they retire his jersey!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject:

it actually depends if Luke Walton reaches out to him and assigning him a role as the veteran leader of the team
The Shadow King
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Pau will ALWAYS be a welcomed Laker to me. A return isn't likely tho. He's done with this franchise.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

I'm likely one of the larger Pau fans on the board but its time for the Lakers to move forward not back.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Pau would have a problem...he did fine on D with the bulls his first year...and even if he's slower it's not like the real C's of GSW are running down the floor on the break with guards. Pau would be fine, he also brings good leadership and unselfish basketball to the table.

I don't think he lands in LA for the various reasons others have stated, but if he did come to LA I think he'd be fine
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I'm likely one of the larger Pau fans on the board but its time for the Lakers to move forward not back.

Pau Gasol is nice
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

He just sold his home in Redondo Beach a week ago, doubt he'll be back in p&g.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:

very true it's about the young guys now, the future
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Pau be like

"I'll never be friends with the Laker front office again"
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Pau be like

"I'll never be friends with the Laker front office again"

People who watch Pau be like:

"You haven't contributed to a contender since 2010"
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I can't see him as a starter. He will be a backup if he comes back. I don't think he will like what the Lakers would offer him if he was a backup.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

He could but why?
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

I'd love if they brought Pau back. I think he'd be the perfect Vet to have around guys like Randle, Nance, and Ingram. Pau is one of the greatest post players in basketball history.

With that said he still resents the Lakers front office for dangling him in trades so often. Hell he was traded at one point. Pau is also going to be looking to win one more title. It really does look like he'll end up going to San Antonio.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:

I love Pau, but he is not the kind of C we need with this roster full of players unable to guard his man. We need a center with a lot of mobility to help on the pick n roll and recover in time to protect the rim.

If JC, Dlo and Randle come back defending well enough to stop my 12 years old kid or my grandma then maybe.
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I think Pau is between a rock and a hard place. There are no more big pay days for Pau.

IMO, if he opts out, it only means one thing. He wants another ring and obviously it isn't going to happen on the Bulls. If Duncan retires, he could be an excellent fit in Popovich's system and he probably would sacrifice some salary for a ring run. He best fits on a team where there are 2-3 scoring options ahead of him. He's no longer the guy who can carry a team or a game by himself for 30 minutes, but he's still good enough to draw constant attention by the opposing team's defense.

If he goes anywhere else, he would be looked at as a short-term, last resort free agent behind Whiteside, Howard, Horford, and Noah, all of whom will be 30 or under at the start of next season. Wherever he ends up, the countdown clock will start up immediately as to when he's leaving or retiring. He's too old to be a building block. He has to be on a team ready to win now if he leaves the Bulls.

If the Lakers offered Pau a big money contract, it would not be a wise decision when there are plenty of FA's and draft picks out there. IMO, the Lakers need to go strong after Whiteside or Cousins and try to pull out Thon Maker or Zhou Qi with the #32 pick as the backup/future center. The idea here is to solidify the center position for the next 10 seasons.

The only way Pau makes sense is if he gives the Lakers a hometown discount, which would be stupid considering the Lakers are coming off a 17 win season. It's going to take another 2-3 seasons to become a playoff contender, and time isn't on Pau's side.

Maybe if the Lakers show a marked improvement (as in playoff contender) next season, then maybe, just maybe, Pau comes back as a role player/mentor/coach in 2017 on a 1-2 year deal. Even at 37-38 years old, he'll still find a way to contribute on the floor provided he stays healthy.

The number 16 jersey is unofficially retired, so he might as well come back and reclaim it. I, for one, would want to see him come back, even if it's for a token appearance. Without Pau, those last 2 banners would be hanging elsewhere.

But I'm not taking this fairy tale to the bank.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:
I think Pau is between a rock and a hard place. There are no more big pay days for Pau. .

The guy is coming off consecutive all-star appearances and a 17-11 season. He may not be the player he once was, but there is going to be a ton of money out there, and someone will be offering him $10 million plus. He might take less to go with a capped-out contender. But you're kidding yourself if you think there won't be a lot of interest in him or teams that are willing to sign a big check for a year or two.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I can't see him as a starter. He will be a backup if he comes back. I don't think he will like what the Lakers would offer him if he was a backup.

Old Pau had better numbers than any player on our team past season, should we bench 15 players?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Old Pau had better numbers than any player on our team past season, should we bench 15 players?

Our line up can look like

Simmons
Pau
Randle
Clarkson
DLo
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject:

If Mr. Softy is willing to play for $7mil per year...

no problem!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject:

In a Warriors type offense, a good passing center like Pau, who also has a nice midrange game could work, especially if we had a good center backup and Randle could play solid defense at PF. If Pau was willing to play for $7-10 million a year, it could work in the short term.

But I think the most likely spots for Pau are either the Spurs if Duncan retires or possibly the Knicks and being reunited Phil, possibly Houston if Howard leaves, or Miami, if they lose Whiteside?
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
In a Warriors type offense, a good passing center like Pau, who also has a nice midrange game could work, especially if we had a good center backup and Randle could play solid defense at PF. If Pau was willing to play for $7-10 million a year, it could work in the short term.

But I think the most likely spots for Pau are either the Spurs if Duncan retires or possibly the Knicks and being reunited Phil, possibly Houston if Howard leaves, or Miami, if they lose Whiteside?

I think the bolded just became more likely...that would be fun to see! I'll be rooting for them, only because it seems like a trainwreck.

Decent roster if it was 2009 - Enjoy NY PJ, stay away from our FO
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject:

The Knicks do make some sense for him now. No reason why Pau should worry about defense. Melo and Rose don't.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject:

I'm sure Pau would be welcomed back to Laker Land with opened arms, as he was very much a fan favorite and great producer here with the Lakers. I honestly thought we should have done everything in our power to keep him here and have him close Kobe Out so it could have been "His" team for at least a season, so maybe bringing him back now would be a great thing to do...

Pau is 35 and Tim is 40, I think Pau has a very similar game to Tim in terms of his longevity and he should be able to play at least 3-4 more productive seasons if he stays healthy and his minutes are limited. We should be able to get him at an affordable rate as well, he would definitely be the vet presence we need.

DO IT MITCH!!! LOL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: