Oklahoma City has traded Serge Ibaka to the Orlando Magic for Oladipo, Ilyasova & Sabonis

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Oklahoma City has traded Serge Ibaka to the Orlando Magic for Oladipo, Ilyasova & Sabonis

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA
Oklahoma City has traded Serge Ibaka to the Orlando Magic, league sources told @TheVertical.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA
Orlando will send Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova and rights to Sabonis to the Thunder, sources said.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Not what I expected in return.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Contrary to popular opinions, OKC got better and Durant will stay...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject:

You one thing Durant may want to consider before he signs a big long deal with the Thunder is if Westbrook plans to resign after next season.

If Westbrook bolts, then the Thunder are a bubble team.

Durant may want any re-signing deal to have Opt-outs after each season
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
You one thing Durant may want to consider before he signs a big long deal with the Thunder is if Westbrook plans to resign after next season.

If Westbrook bolts, then the Thunder are a bubble team.

Durant may want any re-signing deal to have Opt-outs after each season

It's just odd that the overwhelming opinion was that if Durant would stay, he would sign a 1-year deal with OKC. It makes sense both financially and for "basketball reasons", considering Westbrook's pending free agency and the fact the were so close to the Finals.

This trade seems to shake up the roster and doesn't really entice Durant to stay, or even Westbrook for that matter.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Why do they do this to themselves? Outside of Durant and Westbrook Ibaka is BY FAR the most valuable player on that roster. He's one of the most unique bigs in the entire league.

Glad they did, though. Now that he's been pried out of his longterm home he might look our way in a few years.
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
Why do they do this to themselves? Outside of Durant and Westbrook Ibaka is BY FAR the most valuable player on that roster. He's one of the most unique bigs in the entire league.

Glad they did, though. Now that he's been pried out of his longterm home he might look our way in a few years.

Sorry is it 2012? He's been on a decline since then. Look at his numbers, watch his games, he's not the same guy they picked over Harden. This is a great deal for OKC. Now they just need to get the same kind of deal for Kanter.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Sorry is it 2012? He's been on a decline since then. Look at his numbers, watch his games, he's not the same guy they picked over Harden. This is a great deal for OKC. Now they just need to get the same kind of deal for Kanter.

Yeah, I feel that OKC thought Ibaka would turn into this defensive stopper in the middle and he ended up wanting to be more involved in the offense and taking jumpers.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject:

vkewalra wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:

Sorry is it 2012?

Maybe you could find a better way to phrase that. Did my post personally offend you or something?

Quote:

He's been on a decline since then. Look at his numbers, watch his games, he's not the same guy they picked over Harden. This is a great deal for OKC. Now they just need to get the same kind of deal for Kanter.

Meh, as recently as 2014 he was scaring the crap out of the Spurs in the playoffs. He's 26. I don't think "decline" is the right word. Wonder what's going on with him though.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Guys like Ibaka are very valuable in the league. They have the skill to defend the paint, move and defend a few spots and on offense can space the floor. Olidapo has a ton of talent and this makes OKC deeper. But I personally think if Durant looks at this he should not like the move. The Ibaka/Durant 5/4 lineup is something that they could have used a ton in playoff match ups and have in the past. Adams has stepped in and done great, but had OKC made the finals I think Ibaka is a much better match up for Thompson and their 5 spot.

Another thing the Westbrook/Olidapo backcourt will be exciting and fast, but erratic. What OKC needed was a veteran guard handling the ball with some playoff experience - not some 3rd year guy.

In terms of long term value they did well but in terms of immediately winning around Durant, I think Kd should not like this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Did this move free up any capspace for OKC? It doesn't really make sense unless OKC was trying to free up room to sign Horford.
HeatCandela
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Magics are jokes stupid GM
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Did this move free up any capspace for OKC? It doesn't really make sense unless OKC was trying to free up room to sign Horford.

I disagree.

This move is another reason why I want a guy like Presti here in LA.

Ibaka was overpaid and clearly on the decline by any measurement. He made a few plays in the playoffs which enabled Presti to fleece Orlando.

Ilyasova alone will probably put up the same scoring numbers as Ibaka did ths year. Throw in Oladipo and in my opinion, the 2016 draft sleeper in Sabonis and that is a fantastic deal for OKC.

I assume they ran it by Durant, but there is a reason players play and GM's make trades.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

I disagree.

Ibaka was overpaid and clearly on the decline by any measurement. He made a few plays in the playoffs which enabled Presti to fleece Orlando.

Ilyasova alone will probably put up the same scoring numbers as Ibaka did ths year. Throw in Oladipo and in my opinion, the 2016 draft sleeper in Sabonis and that is a fantastic deal for OKC.

I assume they ran it by Durant, but there is a reason players play and GM's make trades.

Talent wise they did great 3 assets and 2 of them are players who could be stand outs in a few years. But heres the thing. The Thunder need to present to KD that they are in better position to win a ring than GST or Spurs with KD. I dont see how this trade looks better to KD for the playoffs. Longterm, in 2 years, yes. When Oladipo and Sabonis hit prime in 2-3 years they will be great for playoff runs for championships. Only KD needs a lineup that can get over the hump next year. A trade that made more sense to me was to get a veteran guard that takes the ball out of westbrooks hands, or to clear capspace to sign someone like Mike Conley. Oladipo can be that guy with Westbrook, but he has not played a single playoff game and needs a few more years imo.

I also liked Sabonis. No doubt talent wise they did great. I just question what KD thinks about in terms of winning a ring next year. Ibaka was a proven battle tested teammate who was asked to defend 3-4 positions this year by their coach. I think KD valued that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
RCS926 wrote:

I disagree.

Talent wise they did great 3 assets and 2 of them are players who could be stand outs in a few years. But heres the thing. The Thunder need to present to KD that they are in better position to win a ring than GST or Spurs with KD. I dont see how this trade looks better to KD for the playoffs. Longterm, in 2 years, yes. When Oladipo and Sabonis hit prime in 2-3 years they will be great for playoff runs for championships. Only KD needs a lineup that can get over the hump next year. A trade that made more sense to me was to get a veteran guard that takes the ball out of westbrooks hands, or to clear capspace to sign someone like Mike Conley. Oladipo can be that guy with Westbrook, but he has not played a single playoff game and needs a few more years imo.

I also liked Sabonis. No doubt talent wise they did great. I just question what KD thinks about in terms of winning a ring next year. Ibaka was a proven battle tested teammate who was asked to defend 3-4 positions this year by their coach. I think KD valued that.
it's simple, the man is declining. You sell him high while the value is there. He's declining and you can look at the stats and his play during the 2015-2016 season. Magic got owned. Not only did the thunders got victor but Sabonis?! Oladipo doesn't need to play a playoff games to prove himself. He's a stud and can score in a flash and defend.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject:

I think a lot of people haven't really paid attention to Ibaka recently and are throwing out generalities about him based on his play several years ago. Here are some very real #'s about a guy that should be entering his prime:

Numbers over last 3 years (per 36 to adjust for any minutes difference)

2014: 16.6/9.3/3.0 (blocks) on .576 TS (.173 ws/48)

2015: 15.6/8.5/2.6 on .549 TS (.127 ws/48)

2016: 14.2/7.7/2.1 on .533 TS (.105 ws/48)

I grabbed these from a thread in Reddit but confirmed them myself. "26" years old? You be the judge but I have some serious doubts. On top of that, Ibaka had 1 year left so Orlando basically traded away a bunch of young talent locked into rookie contracts for a drastically declining Ibaka locked in for 1 year. With all that said, I don't think Durant will see it like this. Durant probably doesn't want to stick around and wait around for this group of guys to learn the game.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
Contrary to popular opinions, OKC got better and Durant will stay...

I don't think they got much better. They most likely let Waiters go, and plug Victor into that spot.

It was the right time to trade Ibaka though.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject:

I'm guessing that Orlando is going to start AG at the 3.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

So what if Durant does leave? The Thunder still have Westbrook. What FA do they look to, Horford?
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject:

The key is definitely how Durant views this trade. I can see how OKC came out winners in this trade when you look at the talent swap. However, does he look at this trade and think that it's enough to get OKC over the jump? I'm skeptical about that especially when you have SA and GSW waiting to sign you up.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
I'm guessing that Orlando is going to start AG at the 3.

I haven't been paying attention to AG. How's his jumpshot coming along?

I guess the Magic are also ready to start Hezonja at the 2.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

I didn't like Ibakas playoff presence this time. He used to spread so much energy - now he is hanging out at the three point line I don't know if this is how he wants to play or if he was put into that position by the coaches. It didn't look good though. We also have no idea about the chemistry between Durant and Ibaka - maybe it is even a trade to please Durant?

So from a Thunder perspective it seems to be the right move. The Magic have to hope that a change of scenery revives some old Ibaka energy.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject:

OKC could have won the series against GoldenState.

All they needed was for Ibaka to play better than average.

He failed to do that and he got his ass shipped out as a result.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject:

I feel that this is a move OKC had to do to try to change the trajectory of their franchise. Gives an even greater strength in terms of athleticism and perimeter D, and helps give them some insurance for the future. I hope they stay together, I don't want to see a team that's been so arduously and skillfully put together break up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: