United Kingdom votes to leave EU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

What"s the big deal? They weren't in the EU like 20 years ago.

There are going to be pluses and minuses to this, just as there are going to be pluses and minuses to staying.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Before Donald speaks he needs to talk to his manager. How did he not know Scotland voted to remain? I don't think his supporters have anymore a clue than he does. However the latest polls show some are becoming aware.

As I mentioned in another thread earlier, it is painfully evident that The Donald is not an avid reader. He lacks intellectual curiosity in something that should be close to his heart, which is strange as his followers proclaim his brilliance in economics and finance.

But it was on the Internet and Facebook. How could he not know? That's where he gets his news updates.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Before Donald speaks he needs to talk to his manager. How did he not know Scotland voted to remain? I don't think his supporters have anymore a clue than he does. However the latest polls show some are becoming aware.

As I mentioned in another thread earlier, it is painfully evident that The Donald is not an avid reader. He lacks intellectual curiosity in something that should be close to his heart, which is strange as his followers proclaim his brilliance in economics and finance.

But it was on the Internet and Facebook. How could he not know? That's where he gets his new updates.

It goes beyond not being an avid reader, I think it's because he's not actually running for president. He had me fooled for a while as I believed he was in it to win it, but this is a huge promotional tour. Except for saying, "this entire thing is a scam," he has done everything to point to exactly that. Even his advisors are giving it away in a subtle way. There's no policy discussions behind the scenes, there's no campaign on the ground, there's no money, etc. Even the people that gave him months of free coverage, like Morning Joe, have realized it.

At today's press conference, he talked about the sprinkler system and the cafeteria at the 9th hole. What else does he need to tell us that he doesn't care, except to tell us that he doesn't care? But he's not that stupid.

Trump doesn't know anything except promotion. Even on the economy, he knows nothing. He's never said anything enlightening on any important subject. He's just a very lucky moron that inherited money. That's all there is to it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

But it was on the Internet and Facebook. How could he not know? That's where he gets his new updates.

It goes beyond not being an avid reader, I think it's because he's not actually running for president. He had me fooled for a while as I believed he was in it to win it, but this is a huge promotional tour. Except for saying, "this entire thing is a scam," he has done everything to point to exactly that. Even his advisors are giving it away in a subtle way. There's no policy discussions behind the scenes, there's no campaign on the ground, there's no money, etc. Even the people that gave him months of free coverage, like Morning Joe, have realized it.

At today's press conference, he talked about the sprinkler system and the cafeteria at the 9th hole. What else does he need to tell us that he doesn't care, except to tell us that he doesn't care? But he's not that stupid.

Trump doesn't know anything except promotion. Even on the economy, he knows nothing. He's never said anything enlightening on any important subject. He's just a very lucky moron that inherited money. That's all there is to it.

I think I had posted to the same effect awhile ago and it got lost in the vortex. I really think it's a giant troll job.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What does he have to gain? His ventures don't call for him being popular.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I think I had posted to the same effect awhile ago and it got lost in the vortex. I really think it's a giant troll job.

Agreed. When Trump through his hat in the ring, it seemed pretty obvious it was a publicity stunt. AS it gained steam, it was the perfect chance for him to troll.

And then all of a sudden it had runaway legs and there was no turning back the momentum.

So what else did Trump have to do but go all in on the play?

I don't think there was ever any real intent to get the Presidency, but once things went off the rail, he had no choice but to stick it out. I mean he's not going to just quit openly.

I think he's going through the motions. I don't think he's going to overtly sabotage himself. But I think he's definitely playing along in a way that he hopes leaves him without the personal burden of becoming a President.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

HAHA. Maybe you need to do some more reading on why Trump is who Trump is. I'll keep it simple for you and everyone here because debating politics with those who have already made up their minds on something and are completely ignorant to the point of delusion, is like trying to pet a porcupine.

He didn't become who he was because he was given money from daddy. He inherited 40 million and turned it into 4.5 billion in net worth. I bet if you asked 20 people what his dad's first name is, no one would guess it right. Donald Trump made his own way. And if you wanna talk about handouts, your Lord in office right now has made handouts the epitome of his administration. To the tune of 10 trillion dollars that our kids will be burdened with. Yes. 10 trillion dollars in 8 years. Took America 232 years to get to 10 trillion in debt. Obamer did it in 8 years. For a grand total of 20 trillion by the time he waltz's out in January. Tell your kids you're welcome.

So, if you are going to throw rocks, make sure you aren't throwing them at someone who might have better aim then you.

Last edited by OX1947 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I don't think there was ever any real intent to get the Presidency, but once things went off the rail, he had no choice but to stick it out. I mean he's not going to just quit openly.

I think he's going through the motions. I don't think he's going to overtly sabotage himself. But I think he's definitely playing along in a way that he hopes leaves him without the personal burden of becoming a President.

Yep. Every now and then, he gives a "speech" so the idiots in the media can ask themselves "is he pivoting to the general?" As you said, he can't just quit and he can't be too obvious with the sabotage. His last chance to quit was before the convention when there was talk about a contested convention. He just needs to buy time and stick it out to the election. When he loses, he can always say the odds were against him, the establishment was against him, Hillary's machine was too much to overcome, or some other conspiracy theory.

He had a good opportunity after that IG report, but he instead focused on himself. Whatever happens, the focus has to be on him, even if focusing on someone else would help him. The Trump brand comes before everything else.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

HAHA. Maybe you need to do some more reading on why Trump is who Trump is. I'll keep it simple for you and everyone here because debating politics with those who have already made up their minds on something and are completely ignorant to the point of delusion, is like trying to pet a porcupine.

I love it when someone shows up with bombastic ironic BS like this - no merit, just insults. It says more about them than it does about the people they are failing at railing against.

Quote:
He didn't become who he was because he was given money from daddy. He inherited 40 million and turned it into 4.5 billion in net worth. I bet if you asked 20 people what his dad's first name is, no one would guess it right. Donald Trump made his own way. And if you wanna talk about handouts, your Lord in office right now has made handouts the epitome of his administration. To the tune of 10 trillion dollars that our kids will be burdened with. Yes. 10 trillion dollars in 8 years. Took America 232 years to get to 10 trillion in debt. Obamer did it in 8 years. For a grand total of 20 trillion by the time he waltz's out in January. Tell your kids you're welcome.

So, if you are going to throw rocks, make sure you aren't throwing them at someone who might have better aim then you.

He's a con man and a crook and has no skills whatsoever that would translate to be a political leader of one of the most influential countries on the planet. He doesn't understand domestics issues other than stirring up racist rednecks against brown people and he is utterly clueless when it comes to international policy. His only business sense is to bankrupt companies and then ask for help bailing them out. Might work for a bombastic business ahole fleecing Americans. It's not something that is going to work as a nation's policy.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I love it when someone shows up with bombastic ironic BS like this - no merit, just insults. It says more about them than it does about the people they are failing at railing against.

Quote:

He's a con man and a crook and has no skills whatsoever that would translate to be a political leader of one of the most influential countries on the planet. He doesn't understand domestics issues other than stirring up racist rednecks against brown people and he is utterly clueless when it comes to international policy. His only business sense is to bankrupt companies and then ask for help bailing them out. Might work for a bombastic business ahole fleecing Americans. It's not something that is going to work as a nation's policy.

Racist rant card is a bit tired now, dont you think? Let's all grow up and know our information before we start blaming lions for being racist against zebras next. You proved my point. Thanks for playing.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
Wilt wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Quote:

Racist rant card is a bit tired now, dont you think?

Excuse me? Race entered into the conversation on Trumps watch.

Quote:
Let's all grow up

That's not a route you know how to travel apparently.

Quote:
t'd know our information before we start blaming lions for being racist against zebras next. You proved my point. Thanks for playing.

All that's been proven is you are as nonsensical as Trump. You must be proud.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
He didn't become who he was because he was given money from daddy. He inherited 40 million and turned it into 4.5 billion in net worth. I bet if you asked 20 people what his dad's first name is, no one would guess it right. Donald Trump made his own way.

The truth is that we don't know how much Donald Trump inherited, nor do we know what he is worth now. These are all educated guesses from the media. You picked the low estimate of the inheritance and the high estimate of his current net worth. Those numbers could be right, of course, but they could also overstate Trump's success.

Also, we are talking about over 40 years. Using your numbers, that is about a 12% annual rate of return. That's pretty good over such a long period of time, but it isn't something magical. It doesn't account for taxes, as we have no way of knowing what if anything Trump paid. If you substitute the more conservative estimates, the rate of return drops.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
He didn't become who he was because he was given money from daddy. He inherited 40 million and turned it into 4.5 billion in net worth. I bet if you asked 20 people what his dad's first name is, no one would guess it right. Donald Trump made his own way.

The truth is that we don't know how much Donald Trump inherited, nor do we know what he is worth now. These are all educated guesses from the media. You picked the low estimate of the inheritance and the high estimate of his current net worth. Those numbers could be right, of course, but they could also overstate Trump's success.

Also, we are talking about over 40 years. Using your numbers, that is about a 12% annual rate of return. That's pretty good over such a long period of time, but it isn't something magical. It doesn't account for taxes, as we have no way of knowing what if anything Trump paid. If you substitute the more conservative estimates, the rate of return drops.

I can buy that. Good post.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject:

So far it appears as though immigration is the number one reason why the Brits voted to leave the EU.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/14/brexit-britain-eu-vote-referendum-supporters/

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/21/news/economy/brexit-eu-referendum-immigration-facts/
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:02 am    Post subject:

Nigel Farage speaks to EU for the first time since Brexit

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject:

Thousands of people in London march against Democracy.

http://news.sky.com/story/1720656/london-brexit-protest-thousands-march-for-eu
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Thousands of people in London march against Democracy.

http://news.sky.com/story/1720656/london-brexit-protest-thousands-march-for-eu

http://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2013/05/03/21/farage.jpg
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject:

If the next PM has an ounce of common sense, he (or she) will stall the imposition of Article 50, and buy time. Chancellor Merkel has made it clear that she isn't seeking compromise, hindering attempts at a negotiated settlement. I think the nationalists are only now beginning to realize that this may cause the United Kingdom to dissolve, and that the promise that Brexit would fund National Health Service were akin to the con-game we were sold years ago about the "peace dividend."
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
If the next PM has an ounce of common sense, he (or she) will stall the imposition of Article 50, and buy time. Chancellor Merkel has made it clear that she isn't seeking compromise, hindering attempts at a negotiated settlement. I think the nationalists are only now beginning to realize that this may cause the United Kingdom to dissolve, and that the promise that Brexit would fund National Health Service were akin to the con-game we were sold years ago about the "peace dividend."

It's not a done deal.

I'm guessing many in the forum are as uninformed as I am concerning how Article 50 works. This link will give those who wish to read it a better understanding.

The mechanics of leaving the EU – explaining Article 50

LINK

DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Leading Candidate for Leader of the Conservative Party Home Secretary Theresa May, who had been softly pro-Remain, said “Brexit means Brexit,” she continued “The campaign was fought, the vote was held, turnout was high and the public gave their verdict. There must be no attempts to remain inside the EU, no attempts to rejoin it through the back door and no second referendum.”“Politics,” she added, “isn’t a game.” and "There will be no general election before 2020."

The other four candidates have said something similar if not quite so clearly.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Yes, it would take something dramatic and unexpected to reverse the result. What's the point of having a referendum if you aren't going to abide by the result? Do you just keep holding referendums until you get the "right" result? The term for that is "neverendum." Canada has gone through that with Quebec.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Its a done deal, the question is how long the exit will take. For all those people that voted for the exit and then had second thoughts, well I think those voters learned a hard lesson in being a well informed voter.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Its a done deal, the question is how long the exit will take. For all those people that voted for the exit and then had second thoughts, well I think those voters learned a hard lesson in being a well informed voter.

Unfortunately, the ones in this country that could most learn from that lesson likely think Britain is a mythical country of Knights and Dragons that was made up for fairy tales and movies about sword fighting battles.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Unfortunately, the ones in this country that could most learn from that lesson likely think Britain is a mythical country of Knights and Dragons that was made up for fairy tales and movies about sword fighting battles.

Ni!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Ni!

Tis but a scratch! Just a flesh wound.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: