Copa America Centenario
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Assuming they get tonight's game finished, it's looking like Argentina vs. Chile for the title and the US vs. Colombia. I'm actually going to be in LA for the next few days, and I'll be flying back during the US game. Bummer. That championship game is going to be a must-watch, though.

I'm hoping that Klinsmann gives the kids some run in the third place game. I'm guessing that he's planning to use the WC qualifiers to make the transition, though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I couldn't disagree more about Donovan. Look, it's one thing if your argument is that he didn't deserve to start anymore. Fine. But for a sub? Landon actually has some skill, had some quickness, and also had the requisite EXPERIENCE in big moments. It's no coincidence that a guy like Dempsey is still scoring a lot of our big goals even though he's certainly past his prime. We produce very few skilled players. It was too early to cut him from the national team at that moment in time. It was an embarrassment that Wondolowski made it over him and it was really bad that he also selected a player from the Bundesliga's 3rd division over him. (Yes, Julian Greene did score a goal in that World Cup, but still.) There was no way that there would've been someone more qualified than Landon Donovan to come into a World Cup game and give you 15-30 hard minutes. And it's not like the team wanted Landon gone and there was some mutiny. He got screwed, plain and simple, because Klinsmann didn't like him personally.

Landon Donovan is probably the most polarizing figure in the history of the USMNT. I was happy when Klinsmann dropped him, and I have no doubt that we had a better team as a result. Unlike Donovan, Dempsey didn't take a sabbatical. He's still got the fire. Donovan had lost it. Getting dropped from the team sure did seem to rekindle the fire in Donovan, though. He actually played pretty well the rest of the way out.

I know that we'll never agree on this. As best I can tell, the supporter base was split right down the middle on Donovan. That was true to some extent all along. There were a lot of us who always had mixed feelings about his play and who were underwhelmed by lack of ambition.

We talkin' bout training. Not a game. NOT A GAME. We talkin' bout training man.

I kid.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Is that idea of the winner of this tournament meeting the winner of Euro 2016 serious? That's interesting. I doubt a European team wants to play it in South America though.

Quote:
After staging a successful expanded Copa America in the United States for the tournament's 100th anniversary, soccer officials intend to discuss whether to establish a new event that would see regular competition between the regions.

Quote:
With only the final and third-place game remaining, the 16-nation tournament has drawn 1.36 million fans, an average of 45,491. That's down from the 1994 World Cup in the U.S., but nearly double the average crowd of last year's Copa America in Chile.

Quote:
New CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani said a new event could be scheduled for the even-numbered years between World Cups — when the European Championship is played — or the year before World Cups.

Quote:
Montagliani said CONCACAF would have to scale back the Gold Cup to once every four years to create room on soccer's crowded calendar.

Quote:

NOTES: Dominguez said CONMEBOL had proposed to the European governing body UEFA that the winner of Sunday's Argentina-Chile final meet the winner of the European Championship on July 10 in a one-game match in South America this year. He said UEFA has not yet replied.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/soccer-officials-in-americas-to-discuss-future-joint-events/ar-AAhB97r
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Is that idea of the winner of this tournament meeting the winner of Euro 2016 serious? That's interesting.

I would say no. This is not on the official FIFA calendar, so the clubs would have to grant permission for the players to participate. Lotsa luck with that.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject:

How have we not scored yet?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Colombia wins, US gets nothing.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Disappointing, but that's because I thought we played well enough to at least get to penalties. Overall not bad without FJ and Brooks.

People overreacted a bit too much to the Argentina loss. Some of the same people saying "I told you so" after that game were probably the same people saying we wouldn't get out of the group. They probably said similar things before the 2014 World Cup.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Disappointing, but that's because I thought we played well enough to at least get to penalties. Overall not bad without FJ and Brooks.

People overreacted a bit too much to the Argentina loss. Some of the same people saying "I told you so" after that game were probably the same people saying we wouldn't get out of the group. They probably said similar things before the 2014 World Cup.

Whatever helps you sleep...
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Did you cry when we knocked Spain out of the Confederations Cup? You're just trolling. You sound like one of those people who act like we haven't made progress in the sport since 1990 and thought we were going to get destroyed by Ghana, Portugal and Germany in the World Cup. We were supposed to finish last with zero points right?

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't even watch the US team. But keep telling us how much we suck even though we did better than Brazil, Uruguay and Mexico and keep telling us that the benches of those teams would destroy our starters.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject:

US had their chances vs Columbia. They improved on their passing game. Tim Howard is by far the better goal keeper on this team. I understand about getting Guzan his playing time, but for a tournament like this, especially against Argentina, we should have had Howard in net.

Also, I'd like to add Zardes as another guy I don't want on the team. I thought Altidore was useless...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Did you cry when we knocked Spain out of the Confederations Cup? You're just trolling. You sound like one of those people who act like we haven't made progress in the sport since 1990 and thought we were going to get destroyed by Ghana, Portugal and Germany in the World Cup. We were supposed to finish last with zero points right?

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't even watch the US team. But keep telling us how much we suck even though we did better than Brazil, Uruguay and Mexico and keep telling us that the benches of those teams would destroy our starters.

Yep. We get some people who are fans of European club teams, and they think that they are experts on the whole sport. You can hear them on the soccer radio shows. Thankfully, most Euro fans aren't like that.

The bottom line is that we couldn't beat the teams that are ranked #1 and #3 in the world. We had the advantage of being the host country, but that wasn't enough. We're in a transitional phase, so I wish we could have given more minutes to the younger players. But we have two years to get that done.

Argentina vs. Chile should be a great match. From a TV perspective, the timing is good. The Euros have been a snorefest so far, but they should pick up in the quarterfinals later this week. Meanwhile, the Copa has produced some really good soccer, even in the blowouts.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

USMNT is stuck in that midpack of teams that are good enough to occasionally beat a top tier team every now and then but can't make it a habit that is pretty much a requirement of the top teams in the world. Even coaching changes haven't changed that. So the answer goes back to the type of players that they are producing. Until they fix that problem they will never get to the next level.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Did you cry when we knocked Spain out of the Confederations Cup?
You're just trolling. You sound like one of those people who act like we haven't made progress in the sport since 1990 and thought we were going to get destroyed by Ghana, Portugal and Germany in the World Cup. We were supposed to finish last with zero points right?

And then Spain won the World Cup the next year while the US was eliminated by freaking Ghana in the Round of 16.The point is that when it seems like the US has taken a step forward in their program, it takes 2 steps back afterwards.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
USMNT is stuck in that midpack of teams that are good enough to occasionally beat a top tier team every now and then but can't make it a habit that is pretty much a requirement of the top teams in the world. Even coaching changes haven't changed that. So the answer goes back to the type of players that they are producing. Until they fix that problem they will never get to the next level.

That's right. When you look at teams like Argentina, Chile, Germany, and Spain, you see tremendous depth of quality. There are 10-15 teams like that. They all go through ups and downs, of course, such as the current Dutch team. Then there is a second tier that includes Mexico and the United States. Teams in that tier go through ups and downs, too.

I think we are moving forward as a nation, but the limiting factor is the quality of our athletes who choose to play soccer. I hear a lot of talk about our development process, much of which is legitimate, but in the end we are developing the kids who decided not to focus on football, basketball, baseball, and the individual sports like golf. If you are an elite athlete who can get a scholarship to Alabama and then have a shot in the NFL, do you choose to focus on soccer instead?

This is going to change over time, but it isn't going to happen as fast as a lot of American fans would like. Our population is over seven times the population of Argentina. If one seventh of our elite athletes picked soccer, we'd start making some noise. But it is probably more like one in fifty or less, and almost none of the guys with truly elite speed and drive.

We could use a true superstar to rise through the ranks -- the sort of talismanic player who gets attention from ESPN and gets kids thinking about a career in soccer. Those guys are rare, though. Even the great soccer nations are lucky to produce one per generation.

It is interesting to consider the flipside -- the USWNT. Many of our elite female athletes do play soccer. Many of the other countries do not promote women's sports at all, and women's soccer is not an important sport in most countries. When we look at Spain in women's soccer, it is the mirror image of what we see in men's soccer. I am not suggesting that the USMNT is going to match the success of the USWNT, but the comparison is a good way of understanding the underlying problem.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:

The USWNT is different from USMNT soccer. I think its hard to compare the two since the histories of both games are so different. The US got in the ground floor when the tournament was being conceived by FIFA back in the early 90's. Obviously the US being in the forefront of women's rights they were quick to embrace the women's game. A lot of countries around the world don't even have a women's team. Even the US with it embracing the women's game has gone thru 3 iterations of women's pro soccer leagues in a span of nearly a decade. So while its successful on the World Cup level it remains to be seen if there is an audience for the pro game at all.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The USWNT is different from USMNT soccer. I think its hard to compare the two since the histories of both games are so different. The US got in the ground floor when the tournament was being conceived by FIFA back in the early 90's. Obviously the US being in the forefront of women's rights they were quick to embrace the women's game. A lot of countries around the world don't even have a women's team. Even the US with it embracing the women's game has gone thru 3 iterations of women's pro soccer leagues in a span of nearly a decade. So while its successful on the World Cup level it remains to be seen if there is an audience for the pro game at all.

That's all true, but you missed my point.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

That's right. When you look at teams like Argentina, Chile, Germany, and Spain, you see tremendous depth of quality. There are 10-15 teams like that. They all go through ups and downs, of course, such as the current Dutch team. Then there is a second tier that includes Mexico and the United States. Teams in that tier go through ups and downs, too.

I think we are moving forward as a nation, but the limiting factor is the quality of our athletes who choose to play soccer. I hear a lot of talk about our development process, much of which is legitimate, but in the end we are developing the kids who decided not to focus on football, basketball, baseball, and the individual sports like golf. If you are an elite athlete who can get a scholarship to Alabama and then have a shot in the NFL, do you choose to focus on soccer instead?

This is going to change over time, but it isn't going to happen as fast as a lot of American fans would like. Our population is over seven times the population of Argentina. If one seventh of our elite athletes picked soccer, we'd start making some noise. But it is probably more like one in fifty or less, and almost none of the guys with truly elite speed and drive.

We could use a true superstar to rise through the ranks -- the sort of talismanic player who gets attention from ESPN and gets kids thinking about a career in soccer. Those guys are rare, though. Even the great soccer nations are lucky to produce one per generation.

It is interesting to consider the flipside -- the USWNT. Many of our elite female athletes do play soccer. Many of the other countries do not promote women's sports at all, and women's soccer is not an important sport in most countries. When we look at Spain in women's soccer, it is the mirror image of what we see in men's soccer. I am not suggesting that the USMNT is going to match the success of the USWNT, but the comparison is a good way of understanding the underlying problem.

I don't necessarily think our "elite" female athletes play soccer. We haven't had many track stars on the USWNT or the best volleyball player playing soccer (I don't think). It's hard to observe top WNBA players and think their skills would translate to soccer.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Ref in the Argentina VS Chile game is a clown, and that is an understatement. First he sends off Diaz for no good reason, then he tries to even up the score by sending Rojo off for what should have been a foul call.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I don't necessarily think our "elite" female athletes play soccer. We haven't had many track stars on the USWNT or the best volleyball player playing soccer (I don't think). It's hard to observe top WNBA players and think their skills would translate to soccer.

It's a matter of time when the rest of the world catches up/passes the USWNT. The French, Spanish, English, Germans have set up youth and women's professional leagues similar to the men's sides.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:

"Translation" is not the point. Not every athlete has talents that are suited to a particular sport. I'm not saying, for example, that Kobe would have been a world class soccer player if he had chosen soccer. Maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't.

However, we need to get elite quality athletes into the development process. Some of them -- in fact, most of them -- will not cut it in the end. This is true in all sports. A lot of elite quality athletes never make it to the NBA, the NFL, and MLB. Some of them make it, but never become stars.

In the women's game, a lot of our elite athletes choose soccer from day one. Most of them never make it to the USWNT. In fact, only a small number make it that far.

But if they don't choose soccer in the first place, it is 100% that they won't make it.
bryants2hot2handle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ROMERO WITH THE FIRST SAVE
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Messi is so overrated. Glad Argentina lost.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Argentina with another 2nd place finish.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Argentina's mens national football team last 3 years....
World Cup 2014: 2nd place
Copa America 2015: 2nd place
Copa America Centenario: 2nd place
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

That match went downhill with the second yellow on Diaz. The match was too physical, and the referee wanted to take control. I think he forgot that Diaz already had a yellow. So he gives him a yellow as a means of taking control, then realized that he had to send Diaz off. Everything after that was just a mess.

Congrats to Chile, but man, that should have been a much better match.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12
Jump to: