OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

At 32 u got for highest upside I was hoping Davis fell but we might have picked this guy even if Davis wasn't picked. Good pick hopefully he develops
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
At 32 u got for highest upside I was hoping Davis fell but we might have picked this guy even if Davis wasn't picked. Good pick hopefully he develops

Reportedly when the draft got to pick 24 we told his agent that we were going to pick him at 32 if he was still there, so I assume they would have passed on Davis. You don't double cross agents like that, it is bad karma.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
vicman wrote:

Reportedly when the draft got to pick 24 we told his agent that we were going to pick him at 32 if he was still there, so I assume they would have passed on Davis. You don't double cross agents like that, it is bad karma.
The Pelicans did it, I think. Can't remember who though, it was some guy I'd never heard of
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Extremely extremely happy with this pick.
Both best fit and best player available.

High potential young man who fell only because of overseas contractual issue ... totally sounds like Marc Gasol whom we drafted

I think he will surprise many, like those 2 Euro bigs in Denver
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
vicman wrote:

The Pelicans did it, I think. Can't remember who though, it was some guy I'd never heard of

The agents I know would hold that against you for at least a decade after you were dead and gone.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
vicman wrote:

The agents I know would hold that against you for at least a decade after you were dead and gone.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/4pnqhd/givony_isaia_cordinier_had_a_promise_to_be_picked/

Here's what I was referring to. There are Pelicans fans speculating it was their team.

Demps doesn't strike me as the most competent GM, so I buy it.

Last edited by tox on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject:

That is pretty pathetic, they destroyed a relationship with the agency.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject:

That's why the Pelicans are where they're at.
Lakerfan#37
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Didn't think he would slip, but glad we got him! He's got good hands and mobility with great length. He'll be able to catch those no look passes from Russell in the post. He's a real likeable guy and a true laker fan! The Croatian kid, welcome to L.A.!
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject:

l like that he seems to move the ball pretty well and rolls hard to the front of the rim off picks. Lots of potential here. He could be a really solid player in a few years.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject:

He has a really good feel for the game near the hoop. His free throw shooting indicates he should eventually be decent from mid range.
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Purp 32 wrote:
That's why the Pelicans are where they're at.

Davis and Hield, future Lakers of course
TheDurianFruit1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
We should nickname him Zubat

https://s26.postimg.org/uu79lsae1/Zubat.png

It would've been done sooner or later, unfortunately, I have a bootleg ms paint for mac with very limited capabilities but imagine people bringing posters of these to laker games
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Most teams had Zubac in the top 20 but most passed since he didn't want to be stashed in Europe and wanted to play in the NBA now. They definitely had him rated higher than guys like Ullis, Felder and Diallo.

Ot but rgarding Diallo, i heard the Pels broke a promise and didnt draft isiah cordinier in order to move up and draft diallo. Just made me curious as to how good is diallo is, enough for one franchise to taint their rep by reneging on a promise

Edit

Just read through the thread above nvm
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

One thing I find interesting is the recent run Adriatic and Baltic big men. There have been more than a decent number of wings from those regions drafted in the last several years too. but it seems there has been a spike in bigs with most either having elite length, great agility by size, or both. This is the list such bigs drafted in the last three years:

Dario Saric
Jusuf Nurkic
Nikola Jokic

Kristaps Porzingis
Nikola Milutinov
Arturas Gudaitis
Dimitrios Agravanis

Dragan Bender
Georgios Papagiannis
Ante Zizic
Ivica Zubac

Maybe Zubac can be a slightly more mobile version of Nurkic with a better post game.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Watched four Croatia games of 2015 FIBA U19 on youtube. They won silver and Zubac got scouts' attention for the first time. Some impressions:

1. Legitmate size and strong for someone his age. Good coordination.
2. Mobile but not agile nor quick. A willing full-court runner but does not cover a lot of ground defensively. Gets blown-by when switching to smaller guards. Will have problem in P&R. It would be a major concern imo.
3. Relies on length. Not an explosive leaper. Have a hard time against Onuaku and Giles. Box-out needs work. Not athletic by NBA standard, but he was 18. Needs to add lower body strength and learn how to use it.
4. Need to adjust to NBA style. Have his worst games against team USA twice. Much better against the less athletic China and Canada teams. Need to learn to play against players who are often quicker and more athletic.
5. Soft hands. Does not show his jumper but more due to game plan I think. Shooting form on the FT line looks ok.
6. A competitor and team player. Being a passionate Lakers fan only helps. Need to extend his game offensively and, more importantly, defensively.

Other thoughts:
Zizic, pick #23, was the starter in the first game, but did not play in other games. Most of the negatives of Zubac applies to him too. I think it's more about the way they are trained and the style they are used to. Zizic looks less robotic though. The whole team was exhausted in overtime of the championship game. Slavika, their SF, looks intriguing too. Zubac's professional team has three players drafted this year; that's quite amazing.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Nothing personal against Sacre, but he is limited and plays soft. He has also been part of some of the worst teams in Laker history and I want guys like him, Kelly, Young gone.

Do you want them gone as badly as you did, say.... Joey, Javie, and Dick?
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Does anybody know if he will play for his Olympic team or not?

Most likely not. He has never played for Croatian main team, only for U-19.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
Watched four Croatia games of 2015 FIBA U19 on youtube. They won silver and Zubac got scouts' attention for the first time. Some impressions:

1. Legitmate size and strong for someone his age. Good coordination.
2. Mobile but not agile nor quick. A willing full-court runner but does not cover a lot of ground defensively. Gets blown-by when switching to smaller guards. Will have problem in P&R. It would be a major concern imo.
3. Relies on length. Not an explosive leaper. Have a hard time against Onuaku and Giles. Box-out needs work. Not athletic by NBA standard, but he was 18. Needs to add lower body strength and learn how to use it.
4. Need to adjust to NBA style. Have his worst games against team USA twice. Much better against the less athletic China and Canada teams. Need to learn to play against players who are often quicker and more athletic.
5. Soft hands. Does not show his jumper but more due to game plan I think. Shooting form on the FT line looks ok.
6. A competitor and team player. Being a passionate Lakers fan only helps. Need to extend his game offensively and, more importantly, defensively.

Other thoughts:
Zizic, pick #23, was the starter in the first game, but did not play in other games. Most of the negatives of Zubac applies to him too. I think it's more about the way they are trained and the style they are used to. Zizic looks less robotic though. The whole team was exhausted in overtime of the championship game. Slavika, their SF, looks intriguing too. Zubac's professional team has three players drafted this year; that's quite amazing.

Re: Zubac, thanks for the insights. Please, please, please keep them coming!
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
vicman wrote:

Is there a reason you make a promise like that to an agent at that point?
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
vicman wrote:

Is there a reason you make a promise like that to an agent at that point?

Sure this is when Zubac started praying that he would go to the Lakers. Divine intervention is always good. Lets hope it helps in Free Agency
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Zubac posted a pic of him holding a Laker jersey: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHK5uZCADZW/?taken-by=ivicazubac
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Mindripper2000 wrote:
Zubac posted a pic of him holding a Laker jersey: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHK5uZCADZW/?taken-by=ivicazubac

I thought the pic was going to be him holding his Bynum jersey. Maybe he can take his #17.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Look at dat stretch doe

https://www.instagram.com/p/tKo6IDSmUm/
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
Look at dat stretch doe

https://www.instagram.com/p/tKo6IDSmUm/

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 20 of 290
Jump to: