Kevin Ding article -- A Family Divided: "Unrest Growing in Buss Family as Lakers Struggle to Rebuild"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
Ding was just on Petros and Money:

Some takeaways...

*He has been working on this article for months.

*Jeanie wants to build consensus like her father used to.

*But if not and the team doesn't return to where it should be she has the power to get rid of Jim.

Planting a hatchet piece on your brother is a weird way to build consensus within the organization. And if you have the power to fire him why not just fire him?

Instead, you, as the theory goes, plant this days before free agency begins in the hopes that it will dissuade top free agents from coming to your team, crippling your team (transparently) just to make your brother look inept and in so doing win over the support of your siblings (who are supposed to back you after you've crippled their inheritance) for a consensus that you don't actually need.

What. The. (bleep).

Some of his answers don't make sense. It seems like he's trying to save face with the heat he has been taking for publishing this article. He says that it wasn't meant to torpedo their free agency plans but was meant to shed light on on the inner workings of the FO. He even said at some point that he thinks the Lakers are going in the right direction with regards to their FA pitch this summer. I didn't bother to read his whole article because it was so overwhelmingly negative, so I don't know if he ended the article with some optimism. It just seems like he's trying to change the narrative on his article.

His latest tweet regarding his article says this:

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 29m29 minutes ago
The state of the Buss family, and the Lakers no longer living in the past:

https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/747932418154258434
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

His article is doing exactly what he wanted it to do. This thread is proof.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
pmacla wrote:
True Lakers Fan wrote:
Steve Kyler ‏@stevekylerNBA 36m36 minutes ago

Steve Kyler Retweeted William Wallace

Don't assume this came from Jeanie... Kevin's been around the Lakers for years. Others talk.

didnt come from Jeanie just came from Linda Rambis

I would not be surprised if it's true. She's Jeannie buss' close friend and definitely in Jeannie/Phil camp of this family feud

Who cares who the information came from.

It is a fascinating article about the decline of this franchise since the death of Jerry Buss.

You cannot destroy Rome in one day. It takes time.

The same thing is true with this franchise. We did not become the worse team overnight. It has taken some time and is a culmination of poor decisions.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject:

LAII wrote:
What a bunch of hooey. If Jeanie Buss wanted Jim gone and the other kids agreed, he would be out. The other 4 siblings share ownership as well, and any one of them could have blabbed off the record. Tempest in a tea pot. Jim knows he is under pressure. HE IS UNDER PRESSURE! The season ticket holders will revolt (I'm one) for Chirssakes. TWC will apply pressure. Jeanie doesn't need to do a thing.

Oh yeah! Lest we forget, The Lakers face losing their cable deal with Time Warner Cable due to low ratings. Not an opportune time to sabotage the free agency process.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Now CBS has picked it up with the title, "Jim Buss had crazy ideas about the Lakers getting Durant, Westbrook."

Fan-(bleep)-tastic...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-jim-buss-had-crazy-ideas-about-getting-durant-westbrook/
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

Ding! Ding! Ding! we have a winner...its true. As soon as I read a few posters comments at the beginning of the thread that nowhere in the article is Jeannie recently quoted, I stopped reading.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Here is the PMS podcast with Ding talking about his article:

http://am570lasports.iheart.com/media/play/27115270/

I wonder what he has to say for himself. I'm sure he won't mention why the article was written so poorly or why he decided to write this clickbait garbáge while throwing the the team he knows too well under the bus. At the worst possible time.

It was a weird interview. He didn't really address the timing of the article directly. However, I found it really weird that he just published this article but then said on PMS that he thinks the Lakers are approaching free agency in the right manner. Sounded a bit like damage control to me.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Math wrote:
Ding was just on Petros and Money:

Some takeaways...

*He has been working on this article for months.

*Jeanie wants to build consensus like her father used to.

*But if not and the team doesn't return to where it should be she has the power to get rid of Jim.

Planting a hatchet piece on your brother is a weird way to build consensus within the organization. And if you have the power to fire him why not just fire him?

Instead, you, as the theory goes, plant this days before free agency begins in the hopes that it will dissuade top free agents from coming to your team, crippling your team (transparently) just to make your brother look inept and in so doing win over the support of your siblings (who are supposed to back you after you've crippled their inheritance) for a consensus that you don't actually need.

What. The. (bleep).

Some of his answers don't make sense. It seems like he's trying to save face with the heat he has been taking for publishing this article. He says that it wasn't meant to torpedo their free agency plans but was meant to shed light on on the inner workings of the FO. He even said at some point that he thinks the Lakers are going in the right direction with regards to their FA pitch this summer. I didn't bother to read his whole article because it was so overwhelmingly negative, so I don't know if he ended the article with some optimism. It just seems like he's trying to change the narrative on his article.

His latest tweet regarding his article says this:

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing 29m29 minutes ago
The state of the Buss family, and the Lakers no longer living in the past:

https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/747932418154258434

That was totally backhanded IMO. He said they were headed in the right direction because they were being more realistic this year, ie, tempering their expectations.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
LAII wrote:
What a bunch of hooey. If Jeanie Buss wanted Jim gone and the other kids agreed, he would be out. The other 4 siblings share ownership as well, and any one of them could have blabbed off the record. Tempest in a tea pot. Jim knows he is under pressure. HE IS UNDER PRESSURE! The season ticket holders will revolt (I'm one) for Chirssakes. TWC will apply pressure. Jeanie doesn't need to do a thing.

Oh yeah! Lest we forget, The Lakers face losing their cable deal with Time Warner Cable due to low ratings. Not an opportune time to sabotage the free agency process.

Link? or is that just your opinion?
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Venom wrote:
Add Ding to the journalist who do not like Jim Buss. Stephen A. Smith hates Jim. I don't know why, Jim never talks.

Ding is simply writing this story based upon his sources.

Like he said, it took a long time to gather the facts and write this article.

He even referred to the recent hiring of Brian Shaw and how Jim Buss did not reach out to him.

In the end, everyone wants Jim to succeed since it means that the team is doing well.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
He was just on with Max and Marcellus as well, but the podcast isn't up yet.

I'll definitely give that one a listen. I hope Max grills him for the poor timing of the article. Why bite the hand that feeds?

I caught the very end as Ding went off air. It seemed like he was trying to put a positive spin on the Lakers situation despite his negative article. Like I said, sounds like damage control to me. Not sure if its the twitter backlash from fans or if members of the FO reamed him for his article, but he appears to be trying to toe the line.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
Now CBS has picked it up with the title, "Jim Buss had crazy ideas about the Lakers getting Durant, Westbrook."

Fan-(bleep)-tastic...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-jim-buss-had-crazy-ideas-about-getting-durant-westbrook/

Well the only person to blame is the person who shared that information to the press.

Jim Buss was apparently the fool for thinking that such move was possible.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Ding! Ding! Ding! we have a winner...its true. As soon as I read a few posters comments at the beginning of the thread that nowhere in the article is Jeannie recently quoted, I stopped reading.

There is a quote from Jeanie's Instagram from 2015 detailing the death of her Maltese, Princess Cujo Jackson. Hard hitting stuff.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Rebuilding is never easy. It's not as easy as some fantasized concoction that's thrown out by all of us. I believe in the young players we've acquired. It's going to take time. It's been said a million times, better the Buss's show a united front for the benefit of the team. We have pieces to play with and dollars to spend. Regardless of what happens this off season, I like where were at.
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Math wrote:
LAII wrote:

It's on here somewhere. I don't think it's a controversial topic.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Math wrote:
LAII wrote:

"A source told ESPN in 2014 that the team's 20-year, $3 billion deal with Time Warner Cable hinges on ratings, but through the end of 2015, the Lakers held a 1.68 rating on Time Warner Cable SportsNet, the lowest in franchise history."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15221860/kobe-bryant-gone-now
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:

Fan-(bleep)-tastic...

I remember reading about him telling Dwight in their FA meeting that he intended to sign both LeBron and Melo.

This guy.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Math wrote:
LAII wrote:

It's on here somewhere. I don't think it's a controversial topic.

I'd like to see a source. I spend an embarrassing amount of time on here and I've not once seen that claim with even an iota of source.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
Math wrote:

Fan-(bleep)-tastic...

I remember reading about him telling Dwight in their FA meeting that he intended to sign both LeBron and Melo.

This guy.
People believe what they want to believe.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject:

Math wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Math wrote:
LAII wrote:

"A source told ESPN in 2014 that the team's 20-year, $3 billion deal with Time Warner Cable hinges on ratings, but through the end of 2015, the Lakers held a 1.68 rating on Time Warner Cable SportsNet, the lowest in franchise history."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15221860/kobe-bryant-gone-now

Wow, interesting. I don't know how I missed this.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject:

this article is so uncalled for. Its just the media casting a black cloud over the Lakers once again and trying to throw shade at all the positive things that have been happening in LakersLand recently.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject:

^ Like clockwork one year ago, a certain someone made statements to the media effectively sand bagging the front office. It's a tradition.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Rebuilding is never easy. It's not as easy as some fantasized concoction that's thrown out by all of us. I believe in the young players we've acquired. It's going to take time. It's been said a million times, better the Buss's show a united front for the benefit of the team. We have pieces to play with and dollars to spend. Regardless of what happens this off season, I like where were at.

I have the belief that if we were in any other market besides LA, we'd just be classified as a team in the rebuilding phases, not receiving attention as the team with the chaotic FO.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
this article is so uncalled for. Its just the media casting a black cloud over the Lakers once again and trying to throw shade at all the positive things that have been happening in LakersLand recently.

With the advent of the internet, there will be stories like these.

I mean look at Ding. He is now being interviewed on radio and quoted in other newspapers.

I remember a few years ago, Henry Abott wrote this article how "Kobe was destroying the Lakers" for ESPN.

It was sensationalized news and Henry was able to get interviews on radio and ESPN about his comments.

The same is happening now with Ding.

That is the way the media works.

It is the way to get his name out there. Especially, if in few years, everything that Ding predicts in his article comes true.

Last edited by laker4life on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 20 of 40
Jump to: