Should the Lakers Trade for Westbrook? (Westbrook to Sign Contract Extension, p.66)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we trade for Westbrook?
Yes. Can't pass him up and assume he comes.
19%
 19%  [ 91 ]
No. Free agent in 2018.
80%
 80%  [ 373 ]
Total Votes : 464

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, we didn't tank for 3 seasons to have Westbrook and little else. Even if we lose out on him and it takes longer to rebuild, you don't deal the youth for a rental.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sorry. No guarantees he stays and if we lose prime assets we just (bleep) ourselves royally. Not worth it even though WB is a stud.

It's not rocket science.
lifelong9er
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Even if he does sign a long term deal, what has a Super Star and nothing else done for the Knicks?
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject:

lifelong9er wrote:
Even if he does sign a long term deal, what has a Super Star and nothing else done for the Knicks?
Heck, forget about Westbrook, look at a prime Kobe with LO, Caron and company, that team didn't do jack, and Westbrook is no Kobe Bryant.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:
We are the Lakers, who cares what GSW or Cavs are doing, i want to watch our team being competitive in every single game, every single season, what's the point of being scared of other teams, i want Westbrook now, in his prime, tearing up his opponents on nightly basis, what's the point of wasting few more years in hope that some young guys will pan out, if we can get the true superstar right now, one of the five best players in the league, in my opinion only James is better, but feel free to disagree, either way LA is hungry to have someone who can lead this franchise in the years to come, our kids are too young and honestly none of them strikes me as someone who will be on the same level as Westbrook.

And again, he will not leave us if we are fortunate enough to get him, he'll get the money and the status, he will be the top dawg, he will be perceived as a savior, the whole town will adore him, he's hometown kid, he's tight with his parents and his whole family is still in LA, his wife is from LA, he said that Magic and Kobe were his favorite players while growing up, i listed above the worst case scenario where we would trade three of our young players, but price would probably be a bit lower, so we would still have good enough core to build further and we would have enough cap space to add more great players in following seasons.

Waiting for him to become free agent is good only if OKC never puts him on the trading block, but if he gets out there, we just have to go after him and bring him back home, come on guys, he tops everything that we have right now and it would be so epic to have him in purple and gold, just look at him, isn't this someone who would die for La La Land.

http://i.imgur.com/vN02tDG.jpg

Love this post so much bro - especially the bolded! Agree with almost every point, including that the asking price for Westbrook would probably be lower since word is out that he's not staying in OKC regardless.

Let's make the Lakers great again
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

lifelong9er wrote:

DocK36 wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:
Heck, forget about Westbrook, look at a prime Kobe with LO, Caron and company, that team didn't do jack, and Westbrook is no Kobe Bryant.

Exactly! It makes absolutely no sense to destroy our young core.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

DocK36 wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

Question: For you, are our young players completely untouchable in trade scenarios for top-5 NBA talent?
Cookies & Cream
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

It won't be a rental, there's no way that he would leave us, people need to stop comparing him to Dwight, it's not the same situation, D12 would gladly stay if Kobe retired after his injury or if he stated that he'll stay only until the end of his contract, so one more year, after that Howard would get the keys of the franchise.

Players are leaving their teams only if they are unsatisfied with money, status or living conditions, but because we are talking about Los Angeles, the third thing is never the factor in our situation, so if Westbrook is traded here and we have his bird rights, there's no way he would walk from all that money and all that power, he would be the undisputed leader.

The thing is quite simple, in the perfect world we would wait for him to become free agent, but if he's on the trading block, i just can't see us passing on one of the best players in the league, i mean Westbrook and four random d-league players would beat our starting five, he's that good.

It's bigger risk for us if he's traded to some other team where he might like it and then our chances of getting him next summer are the same as getting Lebron, Carmelo, LMA, Durant or Whiteside in past three years.

And even if he decides to test test the free agency next summer after playing in OKC or on some other team, there is risk that maybe Heat or Knicks or Clippers nab him in front of our eyes, so why not have the upper hand now and get his bird rights so we can offer him most money.

Plus it won't be "only Westbrook and little else", if we trade two or three young players, it means we will open up our cap space and we wouldn;t be in the position to offer them huge extensions when their rookie deals are over, meaning that we'll have more money to chase other star players in following years, i would personally roll the dice for the future of Westbrook, Griffin and George instead of hoping that our kids will develop into anything close enough to make Lakers relevant again.
lifelong9er
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:
It won't be a rental, there's no way that he would leave us, people need to stop comparing him to Dwight, it's not the same situation, D12 would gladly stay if Kobe retired after his injury or if he stated that he'll stay only until the end of his contract, so one more year, after that Howard would get the keys of the franchise.

Players are leaving their teams only if they are unsatisfied with money, status or living conditions, but because we are talking about Los Angeles, the third thing is never the factor in our situation, so if Westbrook is traded here and we have his bird rights, there's no way he would walk from all that money and all that power, he would be the undisputed leader.

The thing is quite simple, in the perfect world we would wait for him to become free agent, but if he's on the trading block, i just can't see us passing on one of the best players in the league, i mean Westbrook and four random d-league players would beat our starting five, he's that good.

It's bigger risk for us if he's traded to some other team where he might like it and then our chances of getting him next summer are the same as getting Lebron, Carmelo, LMA, Durant or Whiteside in past three years.

And even if he decides to test test the free agency next summer after playing in OKC or on some other team, there is risk that maybe Heat or Knicks or Clippers nab him in front of our eyes, so why not have the upper hand now and get his bird rights so we can offer him most money.

Plus it won't be "only Westbrook and little else", if we trade two or three young players, it means we will open up our cap space and we wouldn;t be in the position to offer them huge extensions when their rookie deals are over, meaning that we'll have more money to chase other star players in following years, i would personally roll the dice for the future of Westbrook, Griffin and George instead of hoping that our kids will develop into anything close enough to make Lakers relevant again.

If that's the case, then he will sign with the Lakers as a free agent.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:

LOL! Who's rolling the dice here? You're imagining a super team versus current players who are already under manageable contracts with tremendous upside.

Nobody is against bringing RW in. Even trading for him, but it has to be a rational price. To me Russell and Ingram are untouchables. OKC has no leverage other than to threaten trading him elsewhere, and offers elsewhere can't be that great if they fear RW will walk to us at the end of the year. If OKC is happy with a package around Clarkson.. cool. If they are happy with a package around Randle.. cool. If they want both, it's a big maybe. If they want D'LO or Ingram.. CLICK.
Cookies & Cream
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:

lifelong9er wrote:

What if he gets traded to Miami for Dragic, Winslow and some picks, then he would team up with Hassan and they would have enough space to chase max players next summer, plus South Beach is quite nice and Riley knows how to create good teams, not to mention that Miami will have his bird rights and we couldn't offer him more money and more years.

What if he gets traded to the Knicks, let's say for Porzingis and some other assets, he seems to have good relationship with Carmelo and he would for sure like New York just enough to stay, plus again they would have his bird rights and they would be in position to offer him the best contract.

What if he gets traded to the Clippers, i could see some package around DeAndre and picks for Russ and whatever else OKC want to unload, then he could team up with CP3 and Griffin and he would be back in his hometown playing for the team that can offer him the most money.

That's the problem when we talk about waiting for him, he can get traded to some team where he feels comfortable enough to stay and we couldn't top their contract offer, plus i want to have Westbrook now, i wouldn;t be suprised if he averages triple double next season with all the freedom he'll have for the first time in his career.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

Excellent way of putting it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lifelong9er
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

What if he gets traded to Miami for Dragic, Winslow and some picks, then he would team up with Hassan and they would have enough space to chase max players next summer, plus South Beach is quite nice and Riley knows how to create good teams, not to mention that Miami will have his bird rights and we couldn't offer him more money and more years.

What if he gets traded to the Knicks, let's say for Porzingis and some other assets, he seems to have good relationship with Carmelo and he would for sure like New York just enough to stay, plus again they would have his bird rights and they would be in position to offer him the best contract.

What if he gets traded to the Clippers, i could see some package around DeAndre and picks for Russ and whatever else OKC want to unload, then he could team up with CP3 and Griffin and he would be back in his hometown playing for the team that can offer him the most money.

That's the problem when we talk about waiting for him, he can get traded to some team where he feels comfortable enough to stay and we couldn't top their contract offer, plus i want to have Westbrook now, i wouldn;t be suprised if he averages triple double next season with all the freedom he'll have for the first time in his career.

The answer to all of those what if scenarios is the exact same. We continue to build around our young core. It wasn't a 17 win team that drew Shaq from Orlando, it was a 50 win team that was built around draft picks.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:

Ok, so, you're not making any sense, brah. On one hand, you're absolutely sure that if traded for, Westbrook will stay in LA, and he will definitely attract other star FA's, and everything is all rainbows and lollipops in Laker Land.

On the other, you clearly state that it's a "roll the dice" move...huh?

I love 2k, but damn that game is getting on my nerves, with all these armchair GM'. With teams like NY, Miami, and others with cap space next season, keeping Westbrook is NOT a guarantee. Not worth the risk. Unless a trade markedly makes you better, you don't just do it, because you can.

ZOOM!!!!
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

lifelong9er wrote:
Cookies & Cream wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

The answer to all of those what if scenarios is the exact same. We continue to build around our young core. It wasn't a 17 win team that drew Shaq from Orlando, it was a 50 win team that was built around draft picks.

Bingo. If you think about it. Every team who has ever lured anybody of any significance first built their team with home-growns and small moves. Eddie, Nick, Elden and Vlade... all drafted by the Lakers. The move we did to put us over the top was Ceballos and boom, we had an exciting 95 campaign. How did the Warriors lure Durant? They built from the ground up. They didn't sign Curry, they drafted him. They didn't sign Klay, they drafted them and they waited.

The only big time short-cut in the history of this league was the Miami thing, and now everyone is imagining super teams and short cuts, including Cookies and Cream who has already penciled in Blake and Paul George joining Westbrook. LOL!
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Cookies & Cream wrote:

LOL! Who's rolling the dice here? You're imagining a super team versus current players who are already under manageable contracts with tremendous upside.

Nobody is against bringing RW in. Even trading for him, but it has to be a rational price. To me Russell and Ingram are untouchables. OKC has no leverage other than to threaten trading him elsewhere, and offers elsewhere can't be that great if they fear RW will walk to us at the end of the year. If OKC is happy with a package around Clarkson.. cool. If they are happy with a package around Randle.. cool. If they want both, it's a big maybe. If they want D'LO or Ingram.. CLICK.

Counter proposal. The ONLY trade I would do if I was LA, would be...

OKC: R. Westbrook -for- L.A.: Lou Williams, Nick Young

Anything other than that, "CLICK!"

ZOOM!!!!!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
danzag wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

DocK36 wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

Question: For you, are our young players completely untouchable in trade scenarios for top-5 NBA talent?

Not completely untouchable. But certainly not available if the top-5 NBA talent is coming for a one year rental.

We made some incredible draft picks those past years. These core can stay together for years and I'm very high on their talent going ahead. We got a very nice mix of different talents and I think they can lead us to championships.
lifelong9er
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:
Cookies & Cream wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

Bingo. If you think about it. Every team who has ever lured anybody of any significance first built their team with home-growns and small moves. Eddie, Nick, Elden and Vlade... all drafted by the Lakers. The move we did to put us over the top was Ceballos and boom, we had an exciting 95 campaign. How did the Warriors lure Durant? They built from the ground up. They didn't sign Curry, they drafted him. They didn't sign Klay, they drafted them and they waited.

The only big time short-cut in the history of this league was the Miami thing, and now everyone is imagining super teams and short cuts, including Cookies and Cream who has already penciled in Blake and Paul George joining Westbrook. LOL!

Even the Miami thing was built around Wade.
Cookies & Cream
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject:

lifelong9er wrote:

So in other words, we would suck few more years while hoping that our young guys can reach their potential, and if they never do, then what?

Shaq came in LA because we offered him more money than Orlando, plus of course there was the Hollywood factor, now the only way to be in a position where we can top any other offer is if we have bird rights.

sonic the laker wrote:

Ok, so, you're not making any sense, brah. On one hand, you're absolutely sure that if traded for, Westbrook will stay in LA, and he will definitely attract other star FA's, and everything is all rainbows and lollipops in Laker Land.

I love 2k, but damn that game is getting on my nerves, with all these armchair GM'. With teams like NY, Miami, and others with cap space next season, keeping Westbrook is NOT a guarantee. Not worth the risk. Unless a trade markedly makes you better, you don't just do it, because you can.

"Roll the dice" wasn;t about Westbrook, i do think if we get him, he'll stay in LA until the rest of his career, "roll the dice" was about how we build our team further after we give away some of our young players, i'm saying that we'll have more cap space and we wouldn't need to worry about extending them after their rookies deals, so more money left for other established players, and the only uncertainty is who we get next, i'm thinking in line of Griffin and George, but there are also Cousins, Hayward and other interesting stars that will be available.

The last part of your post is exactly the reason why i want to trade for Westbrook right now, we would have his bird rights, so we would be able to offer him the biggest contract, more money and more years than any other team, that would put us above NY, Miami and others, that's a huge advantage, plus we would be relevant again this season and future free agents will have opportunity to see how the new Lakers are looking under new coach and new superstar.
lifelong9er
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

So in other words, we would suck few more years while hoping that our young guys can reach their potential, and if they never do, then what?

Shaq came in LA because we offered him more money than Orlando, plus of course there was the Hollywood factor, now the only way to be in a position where we can top any other offer is if we have bird rights.

sonic the laker wrote:

"Roll the dice" wasn;t about Westbrook, i do think if we get him, he'll stay in LA until the rest of his career, "roll the dice" was about how we build our team further after we give away some of our young players, i'm saying that we'll have more cap space and we wouldn't need to worry about extending them after their rookies deals, so more money left for other established players, and the only uncertainty is who we get next, i'm thinking in line of Griffin and George, but there are also Cousins, Hayward and other interesting stars that will be available.

The last part of your post is exactly the reason why i want to trade for Westbrook right now, we would have his bird rights, so we would be able to offer him the biggest contract, more money and more years than any other team, that would put us above NY, Miami and others, that's a huge advantage, plus we would be relevant again this season and future free agents will have opportunity to see how the new Lakers are looking under new coach and new superstar.

Do you think he would have joined a 17 win team? When the Lakers sucked in the early 90's was it LA that lost it's luster, or the roster? I mean a big name free agent for the Lakers at one point was Sedale Threat
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

sonic the laker wrote:

You can think he will stay here, but you don't know that. He won't extend or add money and years to his contract because he can make more if he is a FA next year. He hasn't demanded a trade and his agents haven't leaked anything about him wanting to be traded or that he wants to get traded to a team that won't be very good
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

sonic the laker wrote:

Considering your avatar I see that you are being objective, dispassionate and level headed about this.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

In the free agency thread Adkindo stated:....."Has anyone mentioned that the cap increase being less than expected next season could almost close the gap for Westbrook to consider a trade, renegotiate and extension this year?"

I think this puts a whole new spin on things. I bet he (Westbrook) and his agent are mulling this right now....
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Cookies & Cream wrote:
lifelong9er wrote:

sonic the laker wrote:

I don't believe having Westbrooks bird rights is as mighty an incentive to stay, as some want to believe. As a FA, he'll be raking in the money, one way or the other, and getting to choose where he goes to boot. Depending on the "love of LA" is flaw as hell. Sorry, bit it just is.

Everything you articulated is a HUGE gamble. If it works out, at best, the Lakers become a team that will have to wait a few years to become that powerhouse you proposed, with assurance that it even happens as you diagramed.

At worst, the young talent the Lakers gathered through years of dismal basketball, will have been traded away for a one year rental, and the Lakers are left empty handed, and looking like the clown prince of the NBA. You think LA wasn't attractive before? If that scenario comes to fruition, the we'd be the new "old" Clippers.

Too huge of a gamble, with not enough upside to warrant the risk. Stay patient, and woo Westbrook when he's a FA. That's an all upside, no downside, proposition.

ZOOM!!!
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Cookies & Cream wrote:

Counter proposal. The ONLY trade I would do if I was LA, would be...

OKC: R. Westbrook -for- L.A.: Lou Williams, Nick Young

Anything other than that, "CLICK!"

ZOOM!!!!!

With that incredibly low ball offer I will replace the "Z" in Zoom, with "Doom"!!!

Randle and Clarkson at the very least, with a RW assurance IMO...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 37 of 70
Jump to: