Tim Duncan Announces Retirement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject:

I teared up a little when I saw this just now on Insta. My era of bball is slowly hanging it up... Enjoy retirement TimmyD
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

Is it wrong that the last memory I have of him will be serge ibalka blocking him and Timmy falling down lol
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

The lasting TD memory for me is him being ejected by Crawford for laughing. The irony of the least emotional player being ejected for showing harmless emotion was priceless.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
Is it wrong that the last memory I have of him will be serge ibalka blocking him and Timmy falling down lol

Pretty much that play said it was time to retire....
He got nothing left in the tank.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Rather fitting he and Kobe retire the same season they can go into the Hall together.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tim-duncans-other-career-as-an-academic-psychologist-1468268919

Quote:
Tim Duncan’s Other Career as an Academic Psychologist

Mark Leary was a social psychologist at Wake Forest in 1995 when he was invited to write a book chapter about a topic he says he didn’t know much about: egotism.

He rounded up some undergraduates to help with the research. This wasn’t as easy as it would be now. It wasn’t yet possible to read academic papers online, and his assistants had to visit obscure corners of Wake Forest’s library to dig through arcane journals. By the end of the school year, though, they had a completed draft of the book chapter, which was eventually published with a catchy title: “Blowhards, Snobs and Narcissists: Interpersonal Reactions to Excessive Egotism.”

RELATED

Tim Duncan Departs, Brilliantly, Without Vanity
Duncan Retires, Ending Historic Run of Success With Spurs
Leary was the lead author. And then came his research assistants: Richard Bednarski, Dudley Hammon and Timothy Duncan. Yes, that Timothy Duncan.

The book, “Aversive Interpersonal Behaviors,” was published nearly two decades ago. It has been so long that not even Leary remembers the paper clearly. But he still gets asked about it all the time.

“It’s a piece of lore inside social psychology,” he said. “He’s probably the best-paid person to write any psychological chapter or article ever.”

Leary was reminiscing about this book chapter on Monday afternoon because his co-author had announced he was retiring from the NBA after a remarkable 19-year career with the San Antonio Spurs that included five championships. But the reason that Duncan is such a basketball icon can be found in his own academic literature. It’s right there in the abstract of his research paper: “Simply put, we don’t like egotistical people.”

Duncan, whose retirement became official with a short press release from the only team he ever played for, was as ego-less as any player in the history of professional basketball. There has never been an NBA player, let alone a future Hall-of-Famer, who was less of a blowhard, snob or narcissist.

Duncan helped write Leary’s chapter as Wake Forest’s tallest and most talented psychology major. The research assistants would huddle with their professor every week to discuss what they had read. Duncan’s co-authors said he was exactly as shy as most NBA fans would believe—but only in the beginning.

“He’d answer questions only when I asked him directly, but he didn’t volunteer much on his own,” Leary said. “But then, about the third or fourth week, we were having this free-wheeling, intellectual conversation, and suddenly he stopped while he was talking and looked surprised. He said: ‘Man, this is kind of fun, isn’t it?’”

They saw Duncan from that day on like most people never see him. He was only a junior in college, but he was as involved as anyone with the research. He contributed ideas and sentences that made it into the final version of the chapter verbatim. He made jokes—and some of them were even funny.

Advertisement

“By the end of the semester,” said Bednarski, a criminal defense attorney, “it went from him being shy to him waving to me across the quad.”

Duncan was a senior and obviously bound for the NBA when the book came out in 1997. The publishing house mailed Leary four copies—one for each author. “I had to go through the biggest rigmarole,” Leary said. The school’s athletic department was so concerned that Leary gifting Duncan a book in which he wrote a chapter could be construed as a potential NCAA violation, Leary said, that it asked permission from various compliance agencies.

By that time, though, Duncan didn’t have to read the chapter. He was already playing basketball as if he had internalized his psychological results. “Egotistical behavior is behavior that conveys to others that the individual holds an exaggerated perception of himself,” he wrote. “Few interactions are as annoying, exasperating and unpleasant as those with people whom we perceive are behaving egotistically.”

Duncan’s stint in academia was interrupted by his career in the NBA. But many years later, the Spurs came to Charlotte one night, and he was reminded of his own research when Holly Chalk, a McDaniel College psychologist, presented Duncan with a copy of the book and asked for his autograph. “He had never seen it,” she said.

Chalk keeps the book in her home office inside a memorabilia box. She later added one of Duncan’s basketball cards out of necessity.

“I’m an academic, and my friends are geeks,” she said. “So whenever they saw it, they said: ‘Who’s Tim Duncan? I’ve never heard of him.’”
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Big fundamental deserves a farewell tour. Thank you TD for all the battles throughout the years. You're an all time great in my books.

Pau Gasol is nice
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Hats off to Tim. Amazing career. Nothing but love and respect. Him, Kobe and Shaq defined basketball in the 00s and are still notches above their counterparts of this current generation. He was always a guy to fear on the opposing sideline and I'm proud to say our Lakers beat him and his Spurs four times, all during during his prime. Those were some legendary clashes, which would go on to define the eventual champion. Long live the Spurs - Lakers rivalry. Long live Tim "The Big Fundamental" Duncan.

Last edited by panamaniac on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Rather fitting he and Kobe retire the same season they can go into the Hall together.

Some saying kg might call it quits too here before training camp. One hell of a hall of fame class for 2021
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Some saying kg might call it quits too here before training camp. One hell of a hall of fame class for 2021

That would be amazing if he does. And to think we almost had KG

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Duncan_1997
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Sad days...the Shaq / Kobe / Duncan era is officially over.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Greatest other player in the Kobe era
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
You will be missed Timmy. Best player since Jordan IMO.

Kobe was the best player since Jordan Tim is #2.

Apples and oranges. Kobe was the better scorer and perimeter defender. TD was incredible in the low post, rebounder and shot blocker. Both had longevity. Each have 5 rings. Kobe had better teammates early in his career, TD had better teammates later.

It's like asking what's better: lobster or filet mignon.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN! THROW IT DOWWWWWN!

Congrats, Big Timmy with the 24/7 blank expression. Greatest winning bigman of our generation. Greatest PF ever. You look at Karl Malone and you wouldn't think anyone would be able to overtake him or Sir Charles, but Tim did. With an unassuming style. Easily the most unassuming personality in the league for years if not John Stocktonl After 19 years, I think it's safe for us to assume that stuff is not an act. The one and probably only droll uberwinner among all the passionate all-time greats.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
999 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Apples and oranges. Kobe was the better scorer and perimeter defender. TD was incredible in the low post, rebounder and shot blocker. Both had longevity. Each have 5 rings. Kobe had better teammates early in his career, TD had better teammates later.

Eh, not a good analogy the way you express it. Lobster and filet mignon aren't on the same footing. Lobster tends to be overrated and is bland on it's own. The filet is good all on it's own. But even the filet is secondary to the rib eye when it comes to flavor.

So, to make some adjustments to the analogy to make it fit the circumstances, Kobe is the rib eye (wonderful flavor and personality) and Tim is the lobster (bland and needs some butter to shine). And I would definitely say that if I am going out for a nice expensive meal, I'm going with the rib eye over the lobster almost every time, but I'll have the lobster occasionally if the restaurant is right and I need a change of pace.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

There were some nice tweets from Kobe and Nance Jr. Now I need to find a new favorite player. Zublocca is definitely in the running.
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to miss Duncan's shocked expression when the Lakers beat them.
composite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
composite wrote:
999 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

Eh, not a good analogy the way you express it. Lobster and filet mignon aren't on the same footing. Lobster tends to be overrated and is bland on it's own. The filet is good all on it's own. But even the filet is secondary to the rib eye when it comes to flavor.

So, to make some adjustments to the analogy to make it fit the circumstances, Kobe is the rib eye (wonderful flavor and personality) and Tim is the lobster (bland and needs some butter to shine). And I would definitely say that if I am going out for a nice expensive meal, I'm going with the rib eye over the lobster almost every time, but I'll have the lobster occasionally if the restaurant is right and I need a change of pace.

No NBA player is the "ribeye." Everyone needs a little seasoning to shine. All the greats realize they need help around them. Kobe and TD just achieved the most with the guys they had since the turn of the century.

And ultimately, some people are biased toward steak. Others toward lobster. At that level of greatness, it really doesn't matter. For that matter, I'm not even convinced MJ was the greatest. Swap MJ with Dominique Wilkins' Hawks teams and coaches during the 90s and I'm sure MJ would just be perceived as an explosive individual talent who just "lacked what it took" to achieve success.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject:

composite wrote:
ultimately, some people are biased toward steak. Others toward lobster.

I'm not biased towards either. I think they are both thoroughly enjoyable. I'll never turn down lobster. But steak clearly has lobster trumped when it comes to flavor. Kobe has flavor, Tim (as likable as he is) doesn't.

That doesn't mean I don't like Tim. And it's nothing to do with bias. It's something I would believe even if I was a Spurs fan. It's just obvious.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject:

In his prime, I think David Robinson was better than Timmy. There, I said it.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

No Kobe and Now No Timmy

The NBA will never be the same. These were the toughest Warriors of their generation.

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
composite wrote:
999 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:

A Duncan supporter might say a better metaphor is Kobe is steak and Duncan is broccoli -- steak is a lot more fun and it makes your mouth water, but in the long run broccoli is going to give you a better result.

But, if you toss out all the metaphors, I think the bottom line is pretty simple: Kobe impacted games in ways that were a lot more noticeable (and enjoyable to watch) than the ways that Duncan impacted games. However, it's debatable which of them had the biggest overall impact. I suspect people will be going around on that one as long as anyone cares about who Duncan and Kobe are.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Greatest other player in the Kobe era

IF other means someone besides Kobe OR Shaq, then yeah maybe.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject:

The Kings have died!
Long live the Kings!

When Jerry West retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.
When Wilt Chamberlain retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.
When Michael Jordan retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.
When Kareem Abdul Jabbar retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.

Now Kobe and Duncan have retired and I have learned from the past. The next great players are already here and more will come and the next great Laker is just around the corner, if not running the lane in front of our eyes!!

Truth is, DLO is probably playing better than Kobe did at the same stage in their careers! Is his ceiling as high? We are going to find out!
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject:

How time flies. Kobe and Duncan gone.
My favorite bigs: Hakeem, Duncan, Shaq.
The only memories remain Kobe dunking on Duncan.
Happy retirement, big humble fella.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: