Tim Duncan Announces Retirement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
The Kings have died!
Long live the Kings!

When Jerry West retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.
When Wilt Chamberlain retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.
When Michael Jordan retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.
When Kareem Abdul Jabbar retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.

Now Kobe and Duncan have retired and I have learned from the past. The next great players are already here and more will come and the next great Laker is just around the corner, if not running the lane in front of our eyes!!

Truth is, DLO is probably playing better than Kobe did at the same stage in their careers! Is his ceiling as high? We are going to find out!

No one can replicate kareem or wilt. Kareem was a master of the hook shot. Wilt was just a dominating beast I guess shaq was the only player who ever came close to wilt
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
When Kareem Abdul Jabbar retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.

There hasn't been.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject:

Wino forgot to mention Earvin "Magic" Johnson, the greatest basketball player ever.
There will never be someone capable of doing what he did.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:

The league ain't the same with guys like Duncan and Kobe gone. Guys who spent their entire career with one team trying to beat one another. Its definitely a new day now, we have guys deciding to play with one another instead of trying to beat each other and thus elevating their game.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
Wino wrote:
The Kings have died!
Long live the Kings!

When Jerry West retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.
When Wilt Chamberlain retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.
When Michael Jordan retired, I never thought there would be a player that good again.

Now Kobe and Duncan have retired and I have learned from the past. The next great players are already here and more will come and the next great Laker is just around the corner, if not running the lane in front of our eyes!!

Truth is, DLO is probably playing better than Kobe did at the same stage in their careers! Is his ceiling as high? We are going to find out!

No one can replicate kareem or wilt. Kareem was a master of the hook shot. Wilt was just a dominating beast I guess shaq was the only player who ever came close to wilt

Nobody is ever the same, but there are people who are just as effective and have their own styles.

Shaq was as dominant as Wilt ever was. The thing with Wilt was, even though there were some really good centers back then, there were a number of pattsies that he could completely abuse. The rules were a bit different.

There is always another great player to come along, and there will be more great Lakers.

I do think that Jabbar had some unique skills, along with Magic having unique skills, that will make that Showtime team, one for the ages. That team was deep. As good as Shaq and Kobe were at their peak, I don't think their teams were ever as gifted as that great Showtime team was. Nor was the 33 win in a row team with West, Goodrich and Wilt.

Still, we are going to find some great players and one day we will be comparing them favorably with our hero's of the past! And all the young guys will be saying that they are way better because modern ways have improved and players from the olden days, in the 2020's just couldn't keep up!! LOL
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

There hasn't been.
no doubt.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Wino forgot to mention Earvin "Magic" Johnson, the greatest basketball player ever.
There will never be someone capable of doing what he did.

Mentioned him in another response but I am not saying that guys are going to come with the same skills.

I do think that Magic and Jabbar had some pretty unique qualities that make their skills hard to replicate at that high of a level. Some people will argue that Lebron has those skills and more. Not me but some do.

Never seen anyone attempt to master the skyhook since Kareem. Magic is one of the ONLY guys who even tried and he only used it on occasion.

Never the less, we will have a player again someday, that people will compare to Magic. Not so sure we will ever see players like Jabbar again, simply because of the 3 point shot and the fact that those long outside hooks of his are only worth 2 points.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Quote:

There hasn't been.

Shaq may have had a short peak but there were 3 or 4 years when he could have manhandled Jabbar with some ease, just like he did everyone else.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Tim retired without the bells and whistles, good job through and through.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/12/spurs-reportedly-waive-tim-duncan-indicating-theyll-pay-him-into-retirement/

Quote:
Spurs reportedly waive Tim Duncan, indicating they’ll pay him into retirement

When Tim Duncan retired, he had one year and $6,393,750 remaining on his contract.

What will become of that money?

Here’s a major clue:

Marc Stein of ESPN:

Follow
Marc Stein ✔ @ESPNSteinLine
Among the more emotional aspects of Tim Duncan Day: Sources say San Antonio had to officially waive him Monday for salary-cap reasons #rough
12:35 PM - 12 Jul 2016
493 493 Retweets 581 581 likes
The Spurs didn’t have to pay Duncan. Teams aren’t obligated to pay players who stop showing up for work, and Duncan was clearly done working.

But with him waived — assuming he clears waivers — San Antonio is on the hook for the guaranteed portion of his salary. That was the full $6,393,750, though it’s possible the team and Duncan agreed to reduce his protected salary (a buyout). The Spurs can either pay Duncan’s protected salary all this season or stretch the payments and pay a third each of the following three years.

Presumably, this was all pre-arranged. Duncan and the Spurs know potential buyout terms, and they probably agreed to whether or not it will be stretched.

Unless Duncan suffered a career-ending injury, of which there’s no evidence, his salary will continue to count against the cap — assuming there’s remaining salary. It’s possible Duncan agreed to make his contract fully unguaranteed, because the process of waiving him was easier than excluding his salary due to him no longer reporting.

But my strong hunch is the Spurs will pay Duncan, who alleged a financial advisor stole more than $20 million from him. It’ll cut into their cap room, but it’s also a nice parting gift for the franchise icon.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Teams aren’t obligated to pay players who stop showing up for work

Steve Nash
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

The Wizards are still paying for Gilbert Arenas I believe
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

Bobby Bonilla FTW.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The league ain't the same with guys like Duncan and Kobe gone. Guys who spent their entire career with one team trying to beat one another. Its definitely a new day now, we have guys deciding to play with one another instead of trying to beat each other and thus elevating their game.

I'm not sure it's really changed that much. Most of the MVPs over the past 20 years played for multiple teams. The one-team-for-a-career thing has always been rare and as much fortunate circumstances as anything.

Other than Magic and Bird, I've never gotten the idea that any NBA player really had a fetish for beating any particular other player.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Bobby Bonilla FTW.

I spent a minute or two with BB at an ASG event this past weekend ... damn, that amnesty deal that the Mets continue to pay almost $1.2MM against (and will continue to for another 20 years!) has really kept food on the table in the Bonilla household. He was never a spindly athlete anyway, but he's been eating well over the past 15 years, that's for sure ... seems like a quality individual, in any event.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Went out the way he came in. Quiet and humble. Deserves a farewell tour but obviously didn't want one.

And killed softly with the bank shot.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN! THROW IT DOWWWWWN!

Congrats, Big Timmy with the 24/7 blank expression. Greatest winning bigman of our generation. Greatest PF ever. You look at Karl Malone and you wouldn't think anyone would be able to overtake him or Sir Charles, but Tim did. With an unassuming style. Easily the most unassuming personality in the league for years if not John Stocktonl After 19 years, I think it's safe for us to assume that stuff is not an act. The one and probably only droll uberwinner among all the passionate all-time greats.

I fundamentally agree, but with one minor quibble. Duncan hasn't played the 4 in at least a decade.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

http://www.ibtimes.com/tim-duncan-divorce-how-former-wife-amy-impacted-san-antonio-spurs-legends-career-2390996

Quote:
Tim Duncan Divorce: How Former Wife Amy Impacted The San Antonio Spurs Legend’s Career

San Antonio Spurs legend Tim Duncan will be remembered as one of the league’s best winners and perhaps the greatest power forward the game has seen. But behind the scenes, his career apparently was shaped in part by ex-wife Amy Sherrill, who helped steer him away from the Orlando Magic and urged him to stay with the Spurs.

Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel chronicled how in 2000, the Magic pursued Duncan, who was a free agent at the time, along with stars Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. Hill and McGrady would sign with Orlando, but Duncan was a different story.

Duncan was 24 years old at the time and dating Sherrill, who had asked then-Magic head coach Doc Rivers if she could occasionally be allowed on team flights. When the request was denied, it didn’t sit well with Sherrill, who later expressed her feelings to Rivers’ wife, Kris.

The Spurs and the Magic were the only teams on Duncan’s radar — and since head coach Gregg Popovich didn’t mind the occasional friend or family member on team flights, it seems reasonable to think that the issue may have helped sway Duncan to re-sign with San Antonio.

Money probably also played a role. The Magic offered Duncan a six-year contract worth $67.5 million, but he was able to receive more than $74 million in the same span with the Spurs, according to figures compiled by Spotrac.

While Duncan and the Spurs remained together from start to finish, his marriage to Sherrill didn’t last. In 2013, Duncan and Sherrill filed for divorce after 12 years. The San Antonio Express-News reported that Duncan had “been living with emotional turmoil” for most of the 2012-13 season, though he posted stronger statistics around the time of the initial divorce petition.

Duncan, who won his first title in a shortened 1998-99 season, won four more titles with the Spurs. Playing alongside the likes of Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili under the direction of Popovich has been a winning formula. Duncan even reached the finals in the year of his divorce, losing to the Miami Heat in seven games.

How Duncan would have fared in Orlando is anyone’s guess. But he probably would have had an easier time reaching the finals in the Eastern Conference, which was rather weak in the early 2000s. The Indiana Pacers, Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Nets failed to put up much of a fight in the finals, and after the 2003 NBA Finals, the West won seven titles compared to the East’s six.

The Magic had solid seasons between 2000 and 2003, but after Rivers was fired and replaced by Johnny Davis, the Magic failed to make the postseason for three straight seasons. Most of the struggles were due to injuries to Hill and after McGrady was traded to the Houston Rockets.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://www.ibtimes.com/tim-duncan-divorce-how-former-wife-amy-impacted-san-antonio-spurs-legends-career-2390996

Quote:
The Spurs and the Magic were the only teams on Duncan’s radar — and since head coach Gregg Popovich didn’t mind the occasional friend or family member on team flights, it seems reasonable to think that the issue may have helped sway Duncan to re-sign with San Antonio.

Talk about idle speculation.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject:

What would happen if some team pulled a jerk move, and decided to claim him off of waivers?
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
A couple years too late.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Talk about idle speculation.

Every "what if" article is speculative, though this one may actually be fairly well-grounded in reality. This is a rehash of an old story. Duncan did look like he was ready to bolt SA, and form the first Three Amigos with TMac and Grant Hill. He was ready to bolt, but of all things Doc clung to his policy of "team only" on flights, presumably because he saw flights as a time to bond. When Duncan re-signed with SA, the flight restriction to his fiance was cited as a major reason. She had been running his life since college, and Doc miscalculated her degree of influence.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
THROW IT DOWN, BIG MAN! THROW IT DOWWWWWN!

Congrats, Big Timmy with the 24/7 blank expression. Greatest winning bigman of our generation. Greatest PF ever. You look at Karl Malone and you wouldn't think anyone would be able to overtake him or Sir Charles, but Tim did. With an unassuming style. Easily the most unassuming personality in the league for years if not John Stocktonl After 19 years, I think it's safe for us to assume that stuff is not an act. The one and probably only droll uberwinner among all the passionate all-time greats.

I fundamentally agree, but with one minor quibble. Duncan hasn't played the 4 in at least a decade.

He was a PF the first half of his career, and a center the second half.

That's not unusual. Garnett played C, PF and SF at different times. In the end, guys usually get classified by the position where they played the most or had the most success.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Deserves a farewell tour, even if he didn't want it
Chadley
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject:

When people look back, they will say, Duncan and Kobe were rivals? And then they will think... who is more famous? Kobe!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: