Luke's coaching staff
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 60, 61, 62  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4HGTk-5MEk

^Post game interview with Theo Robertson. Seems to have a bright basketball mind and good temperament. Easy to see why Luke added him. I also love the continuity amongst the staff. When you listen to Luke and Jesse's interviews (and now Robertson's) the general framework of their vision for the team is consistent. They continually stress the fact that they're "laying the foundation." Luke said it in one of his first interviews after being hired. Now you hear his staff saying the same thing. Who knows what was going on with Byron and his staff, but they never gave off this kind of vibe. It's a joy listening to Luke and his staff and how they're all on the exact same page. It's obvious that their communication is constant. It's true unity.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

^Post game interview with Theo Robertson. Seems to have a bright basketball mind and good temperament. Easy to see why Luke added him. I also love the continuity amongst the staff. When you listen to Luke and Jesse's interviews (and now Robertson's) the general framework of their vision for the team is consistent. They continually stress the fact that they're "laying the foundation." Luke said it in one of his first interviews after being hired. Now you hear his staff saying the same thing. Who knows what was going on with Byron and his staff, but they never gave off this kind of vibe. It's a joy listening to Luke and his staff and how they're all on the exact same page. It's obvious that their communication is constant. It's true unity.

very articulate and well spoken.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:

I'm very excited about our coaching staff. Obviously, Luke is the #1 coaching hire and I'm expecting him to be one of the best coaches in the league. However, assistant coaching is highly underrated by fans and media. Assistant coaches are responsible for a lot of opponent scouting, particular opponent strategies, and intimate interactions with players. Brian Shaw was a resounding success with us during Phil's time and continued his excellent work collaborating with Vogel on the Pacers. He's still beloved by Paul George for all that he did in Indiana. Jesse Mermuys is clearly such an intelligent basketball mind and is willing to teach during interviews. Most coaches don't impart that knowledge in interviews, but you can tell Mermuys is a very engaging and approachable person who has been connecting with our very important players (D'Angelo, Ingram, Zubac, Nance). He is not only brilliant, but a person who will develop a trusting and strong relationship with our players. Theo Robertson is another person who has received so much praise and I really enjoyed his interview above. He seems like the exact right type of person to lead player development because he can target strengths and weaknesses and work with our young players to refine their games.

Look out, LG, we may have one of the best coaching staffs in the NBA right now.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
I'm very excited about our coaching staff. Obviously, Luke is the #1 coaching hire and I'm expecting him to be one of the best coaches in the league. However, assistant coaching is highly underrated by fans and media. Assistant coaches are responsible for a lot of opponent scouting, particular opponent strategies, and intimate interactions with players. Brian Shaw was a resounding success with us during Phil's time and continued his excellent work collaborating with Vogel on the Pacers. He's still beloved by Paul George for all that he did in Indiana. Jesse Mermuys is clearly such an intelligent basketball mind and is willing to teach during interviews. Most coaches don't impart that knowledge in interviews, but you can tell Mermuys is a very engaging and approachable person who has been connecting with our very important players (D'Angelo, Ingram, Zubac, Nance). He is not only brilliant, but a person who will develop a trusting and strong relationship with our players. Theo Robertson is another person who has received so much praise and I really enjoyed his interview above. He seems like the exact right type of person to lead player development because he can target strengths and weaknesses and work with our young players to refine their games.

Jesse is gonna get poached off the team soon for a bigger role, by 2017 or 2018. I just know it.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

Jesse is gonna get poached off the team soon for a bigger role, by 2017 or 2018. I just know it.

You're probably right. But he'll be such a significant contributor for us until then.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

This is inevitable. But he'll have enough time to leave his fingerprints on our young, but talented, team
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

??
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

Jesse comes off as the most relaxed coach ever.

Kinda reminds me of Jimmy Fallon. You know how Fallon used to always laugh through his own sketches on SNL.
That's how Jesse is during post game interviews. Always cracking a smile and borderline laughing. Even after a loss.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Great interview by Coach Theo last night. The Lakers have done a good job with the recent coaching hires. I'm impressed.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Didn't know about coach Robertson until last night's game. Seems like another laid back/knowledgeable/personable dude for the young guys to latch on to. Pretty cool.

Last edited by panamaniac on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

??

Meaning he understands the game on a deep level and knows how to communicate it to others. A strong contrast to last year's coaching staff.

Should have said very knowledgeable and well spoken.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

??

Meaning he understands the game on a deep level and knows how to communicate it to others. A strong contrast to last year's coaching staff.

Fair enough. Always cringe a little at the "articulate" label for black men.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ArminNBA wrote:

If we're good enough that our assistants are getting poached, then they have done they're jobs well and made us good
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

??

Had nothing to do with his color. Come on now.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

??

I'm not the most politically correct guy in the world, but I have noticed I almost only read and hear "well spoken" to describe black guys and not white guys for one reason or another.

KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

??

I'm not the most politically correct guy in the world, but I have noticed I almost only read and hear "well spoken" to describe black guys and not white guys for one reason or another.

I'm sorry people feel that way. I say it to everyone, and I'm not even white . Madsen's SL interviews were not articulate last year, as in he didn't seem to have a good grasp of what was going on beyond the team "not boxing out, missing rotations, etc". That's where Theo is leagues ahead. He has a better feel and grasp of the team than Madsen did last season. He might be head coaching material in the future.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

??

I'm sorry people feel that way. I say it to everyone, and I'm not even white . Madsen's SL interviews were not articulate last year, as in he didn't seem to have a good grasp of what was going on beyond the team "not boxing out, missing rotations, etc". That's where Theo is leagues ahead. He has a better feel and grasp of the team than Madsen did last season. He might be head coaching material in the future.

Cal > Stanford
gildedgirth
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

Good point about how all the coaches are laying down a consistent vision, from Walton to Mermuys and Roberston.

But this also extends to the D-League. Casey Owens, the D-Fenders coach, was also part of the Lakers Summer League staff.

I thought that was great. I remember in an interview in 2015, Owens stressed how he wanted the D-Fenders' offensive and defensive framework to be in alignment with the main team's coaching philosophy (which was Scott at the time). Owens wanted the D-League players to fit in with the main team if they got called up. It was great to see that Luke also recognized that and invited Owens to the Summer League.

Owens seems like a good coach as he got the D-Fenders into the finals last year.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

??

That's why I posted ?? Instead of something more inflammatory. Benefit of the doubt, but you should be aware that articulate and well spoken are pretty heavy code words regarding black coaches, players, and people in general. They are generally a way of expressing that the individual speaks better than one would expect such a person to do, and are often subtle if many times unintentional racism.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

??

That's why I posted ?? Instead of something more inflammatory. Benefit of the doubt, but you should be aware that articulate and well spoken are pretty heavy code words regarding black coaches, players, and people in general. They are generally a way of expressing that the individual speaks better than one would expect such a person to do, and are often subtle if many times unintentional racism.

While I normally agree with this, I also think context is also very important. Is Theo more articulate than Madsen in terms of his ability to explain the subtle nuances of the game to the media? Absolutely, and that's what I meant by it. I should have elaborated further on what I meant because I do think there's a fine line between calling something a racial code and saying something positive about someone.

Being an immigrant, I've been called those keywords by my race group (e.g. well said, well spoken, articulate, eloquent, etc), so I can absolutely tell you it's not particular to the black culture. I've not taken offense to it because I knew what the intent was in those cases. I'm not sure if there are good euphemisms for those words, but people have to be careful.

The people who've said it to me did not mean it in a derogatory way, but I understand how a frequently marginalized culture is offended by it, however. It's unfortunate society has come to that because some people truly do not mean to offend or differentiate. I certainly didn't in this case.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

??

While I normally agree with this, I also think context is also very important. Is Theo more articulate than Madsen in terms of his ability to explain the subtle nuances of the game to the media? Absolutely, and that's what I meant by it. I should have elaborated further on what I meant because I do think there's a fine line between calling something a racial code and saying something positive about someone.

Being an immigrant, I've been called those keywords by my race group (e.g. well said, well spoken, articulate, eloquent, etc), so I can absolutely tell you it's not particular to the black culture. I've not taken offense to it because I knew what the intent was in those cases. I'm not sure if there are good euphemisms for those words, but people have to be careful.

The people who've said it to me did not mean it in a derogatory way, but I understand how a frequently marginalized culture is offended by it, however. It's unfortunate society has come to that because some people truly do not mean to offend or differentiate. I certainly didn't in this case.

It's all good. Likeep I said, I didn't want to insult you or make an assumption, but at the same time it gets my radar up.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

??

It's all good. Likeep I said, I didn't want to insult you or make an assumption, but at the same time it gets my radar up.

All good (and thanks again for the name change).
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

??

In 2015, nationwide, only 33% of 8th graders scored proficient or better in reading. The statistics only get worse for inner city kids..
That 33% stat suggests, that most young people who don't get a degree in college wouldn't articulate themselves well. Most professional athletes I'm familiar with - don't have a college degree, and they don't articulate themselves well. There's a difference between truth and fault/judgment. And ignoring the truth doesn't fix the system.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject:

And the truth shall set you free.

I'm stoked about our coaches.
I heard someone say our guys are having more fun than last year.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

??

Not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but Theo was part of the Warriors championship staff, so thats a bonus.

Luke (HC) and Shaw, Buechler, Madsen, Robertson have all won a championship as a player or assistant. Thats a really amazing quality of assistant coaches Luke has brought in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 60, 61, 62  Next
Page 50 of 62
Jump to: