Kevin Durant will join the Golden State Warriors (Official)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Seriously?

Then how did you handle the 80s(I assume you were alive then)

Jordan in the 90s?

The 00s with the Lakers/Spurs.

The NBA was never about parity why do people act as if this is brand new?

Spot on. Thankfully, the Lakers have been part of the dominance for 2 of those decades. The whiners have seemed a bit entitled.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject:

The NBA isn't the NFL....
Sadly, when the league was stopping the Lakers from reloading on the fly, all they simply did was change the scenery where superstars decided to play at.
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of things that "broke" the league, I could only imagine how basketball fans would take the Lakers getting the #1 pick after winning the championship the same year.

Can any of the older heads here share in what the thoughts were after the Lakers did that back in '82? Were people complaining about the league being rigged back then?
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Had the Thunder just stayed with the team they had drafted they would have a team that was extremely comparable with the Warriors Core Four..

Westbrook is about the same level of Curry.
Harden and Thompson are neck and neck for top 2 guard in the NBA
Durant = Durant
Ibaka is or at least was on a similar level of Draymond Green
MIZ83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject:

ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 wrote:
Had the Thunder just stayed with the team they had drafted they would have a team that was extremely comparable with the Warriors Core Four..

Westbrook is about the same level of Curry.
Harden and Thompson are neck and neck for top 2 guard in the NBA
Durant = Durant
Ibaka is or at least was on a similar level of Draymond Green

Yes, as bad as I feel for Thunder fans, the Thunder did this to themselves when they chose to let Harden go. It shows the importance of having an owner who wants to win and will spend to do it.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Seriously?

Then how did you handle the 80s(I assume you were alive then)

Jordan in the 90s?

The 00s with the Lakers/Spurs.

The NBA was never about parity why do people act as if this is brand new?

First of all, there was parity in the 70s: 9 different champions in 10 years.

Secondly, my complaint, and I think this is echoed by others, isn't a parity complaint as much as a complaint about character. Basketball has always, at all levels, been a sport where talent can shift the balance of power. The Jordans, Shaqs, Magics of the world mean that a single player can make a team a contender instantly. That can't be avoided. And sometimes teams wind up with an embarrassment of riches, be it through draft luck or trade. Again, can't really be helped. I don't begrudge someone because they want to live somewhere else, make more money, or escape a toxic work environment. Hell, I'd respect the decision if he simply said he hated living in Oklahoma City (any sane person would). If I recall correctly, part of Kareem's motivation in getting the hell out of Milwaukee is that it was a cultural dead zone and not particularly welcoming of African Americans.

But Duran'ts motivations, at least as he stated them, were none of those. He was on one of the top 4 teams in the league. He was up 3-1 on the Warriors. Instead of picking himself up and trying harder next season, he wanted the easy route (this was literally part of West's sales pitch). And the Warriors, instead of trying to see if they could beat the Cavs the next season, immediately sought to make their lives easier too. When other players/teams have tasted bitter defeat, they learn from it and come back stronger the next year. This just smacks of mental weakness. What if Kobe or Shaq had jumped ship after those losses to the Jazz and Spurs in the playoffs?

Here is a good analogy for it I think: imagine a guy tries to scale Everest and he fails a few thousand feet short of the summit. Maybe it was a storm; maybe he just didn't have the stamina; maybe he didn't have all the skills; maybe he needed some better support people. But at the end of the day he got 26,000 feet up, nothing to be ashamed about. Plus, he can attempt to the conquer the summit next season after addressing whatever reasons stopped him last time. Instead, he decides to take a helicopter to the top and then takes a selfie at the summit and posts it everywhere. Durant (and Curry/Klay/Dray) is taking the helicopter. Yeah, he'll get to the summit, but it's kind of a hollow victory, no? I mean West is right--Durant won't spend his retirement beating himself up over all the times he came up short. No, he'll just be haunted by the thought of not knowing if he could ever do it without joining he competition. Or maybe not. He's his own man and he's free to make whatever decisions he chooses to. But as a fan, the cowardice isn't terribly interesting to me. Sports is compelling to must because of the struggle. We're all going to be cheering for this team this season even as they come up short because it's about their growth and challenges. Instead we have the story line of one of the top 5 players in the league leaving to play for a team that won 73 games last season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject:

D. Sharp wrote:
Speaking of things that "broke" the league, I could only imagine how basketball fans would take the Lakers getting the #1 pick after winning the championship the same year.

Can any of the older heads here share in what the thoughts were after the Lakers did that back in '82? Were people complaining about the league being rigged back then?

Except it isn't that simple. The Lakers swapped picks with the Cavs in a trade, giving away their 1980 first round pick for the Cavs 1982 first round pick in 1979. They couldn't have forseen the Cavs would finish with the worst record in 1982 and thus giving them the #1 pick after they won the coin flip against the Clippers. Now you see why little bro always hates big bro....
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject:

D. Sharp wrote:

Short answer to the question: Did anyone complain about X?

Bet on it. I'm sure Boston fans weren't pleased. Or Sixer fans. That's my George Carlin reply, bro. To complain is to be human.

Ultimately, tho, draft picks are still traded where they're traded. However, the team with the worst record in the league traded a future 1st rounder which ultimately resulted in the Lakers and Celtics getting the #1 pick in 79, 80, and 82 (3 times in 4 years, Lakers and Celtics...). They all had to win the coin toss, but still. Both of the Lakers' deals were consummated 3/4 yrs earlier. Lakers got the Jazz pick as compensation for losing a veteran free agent to them per the rules at the time. The Celtics' pick in 80 came from Detroit and the pawned it to GS for Parish and the 4th pick (McHale). GS drafted Joe Barry Carroll. Wampum and beads for Indian land.

Basketball Reasons were invoked during that time period. Whether they did because the ones who benefited were Boston and LA is according to personal belief (cough). League ended all that with the introduction of protected 1st round picks and a lottery system and the elimination of compensation. They also ended the tendency of bad FOs (Cavs, espec) dumping consecutive 1st round picks.

You also have to note that a lot of teams back in those days were totally cash strapped and gave away picks cause they couldn't afford em. League then wasn't what it is now by ANY means. By today's comparisons, it was a dump. In 82, the Jazz also had to lose their 3rd pick (Dominque) by trading him to ATL for a player and a million in cash, and that was to keep the franchise afloat. Jazz lost superstars in both 79 and 82.

Good FOs like the ones LA and BOS had knew what was up. The picks we got in 79 and 82 however, weren't exactly written in stone. In 76, we just happened to get NO/Utah's 79 1st and in 79, we just happened to get Cleveland's 82 1st. Then 3-4 yrs later both those teams just happened to be the worst teams by record in the league. Then we had to win the coin toss to determine 1st or 2nd pick. A coin toss obviously wouldn't fly today. I think that's pretty clear.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I've had more time to think about this, and the more I think about it, the less respect I have for Durant.

His epitaph should read: "If you can't beat 'em, join em..."
AshesToAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject:

this is what's wrong with the world today... lol

durant did what he should have. make the best decision when able/allowed to. nba players only get 1 or 2 opportunities to 110% control their career direction towards the ring.

But because of media spin / marketing... he's a lessor person. what are the other ways to criticize him? "he should have went to a bad team". "he should have went to a team that would lose to his current team". Is that really advice you'd give anyone?

now the "lebron to miami" spin.... so player "collusion" is now the right choice? we actually want to promote that behavior? what a joke. Lebron fits the bill because he made it happen already; and 100% guaranteed through the signing process (both wade and bosh signed first right?).

"kevin durant played on the 3rd/4th best team in the league. If he wants to win a ring, he should never have gone to a top 2 team. No, he should have joined the lakers or knicks - lottery teams."

what a joke. it's all clickbait. sorry clickbaiters and lejock holders. lebron's legacy just got out done with his own tactics but executed more honorably; not less.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:00 am    Post subject:

I'm hoping for durant to fail this season. GSW was a like able team. But now (bleep) them
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject:

At least the Clippers won't be able to hang anymore "Division Champion" banners for awhile.

If they want to hang another banner they gotta at least win the conference.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject:

How Steve Nash convinced Durant to come to the Warriors

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/08/kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-steve-nash-free-agency-steve-kerr
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

http://thebiglead.com/2016/07/11/las-vegas-gambling-kevin-durant-championship/

Quote:
Did a Las Vegas Gambler Use Inside Information to Make a $20,000 Bet on the Warriors Before Kevin Durant's Decision?
Did a few connected gamblers know that Kevin Durant was picking the Warriors, or did they get lucky making educated guesses that he was leaving the Thunder?

It’s a legitimate question to ask when you read this story about how some guy plunked down $20k on the Warriors to win the 2017 NBA Championship on July 3, the day before Kevin Durant shocked the basketball world and left the Thunder.

The important nugget to pull: After the wager was placed at 3:2 odds, the Westgate SuperBook “treated the bet as an ‘educated guess wager’ and adjusted Golden State’s odds accordingly.”

OAKLAND, CA - MAY 30: Stephen Curry #30 of the Golden State Warriors speaks with Kevin Durant #35 of the Oklahoma City Thunder after their 96-88 win in Game Seven of the Western Conference Finals during the 2016 NBA Playoffs at ORACLE Arena on May 30, 2016 in Oakland, California. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

Many directions to take this:

1) It’s an obvious bet. The Warriors won the title in 2015, then won 73 games in 2016 and had a 3-1 lead in the Finals. They were going to be the favorites going into next season no matter what.

RELATED:

Kevin Durant's Friendship With Draymond Green Bothered Thunder Teammates
2) This gambler had some people on the inside of some of those meetings in the Hamptons.

3) Come on, of course they’d adjust the odds to protect liability. But if the bet was made by some rich guy from Minnesota, does the SuperBook adjust the odds? Because the SuperBook did adjust the odds after the bet was placed. The story doesn’t say what the odds were adjusted to, but a week later they’re at 2:3.

RELATED:

Kevin Durant to the Warriors Comp: Moses Malone Joining the 76ers
The MGM took a “half dozen four figure” bets on the Warriors to win it all before Durant’s decision, according to ESPN. Again – educated guesses, or inside info?

A week after Durant’s decision, the Warriors remain overwhelmingly the favorites to win the title at 2:3. The Cavs are at 5:2, followed by the Spurs at 8:1. The Thunder, who may not have Russell Westbrook on the roster by opening night, are 30:1 at the SuperBook and 20:1 at MGM.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
D. Sharp wrote:

Except it isn't that simple. The Lakers swapped picks with the Cavs in a trade, giving away their 1980 first round pick for the Cavs 1982 first round pick in 1979. They couldn't have forseen the Cavs would finish with the worst record in 1982 and thus giving them the #1 pick after they won the coin flip against the Clippers. Now you see why little bro always hates big bro....

Even if that wasn't the case, the Internet barely existed in 1982, so there was no way for fans to connect, gripe, share conspiracy theories, and work each other up as they can today. Back then, you probably wouldn't have much input about the topic except for the few friends you might chat about basketball with. And since your friends were probably Lakers fans too, you probably wouldn't come across anyone who thought the Lakers getting a #1 pick was suspicious. Very different time.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

E-40 tells Jalen Rose and David Jacoby that the Warriors are aiming for not 7, not 8, not 9, but 10 (!) NBA championships with KD now onboard ...

I'll still take the field ...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
At least the Clippers won't be able to hang anymore "Division Champion" banners for awhile.

Their window is pretty much closed now unless the Warriors have an injury or two to their superstars. They haven't improved or gotten better thru free agency, and I just don't see players on the team having a dramatic improvement in their game to elevate them in a position to challenge the Warriors or Spurs.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Their window is pretty much closed now unless the Warriors have an injury or two to their superstars. They haven't improved or gotten better thru free agency, and I just don't see players on the team having a dramatic improvement in their game to elevate them in a position to challenge the Warriors or Spurs.

Or even the Cavs, really. I think the problem is basically that Griffin just isn't that good.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17075536/kevin-durant-says-relationship-russell-westbrook-ever-same

"They're not going to get up at 9 o'clock in the morning and work on their game for me. I've got to do all of that on my own."

#LGwarriorfan is hoping and praying that this was a typo or some billiards-ish flub where the reporter for China's Sina Sports transmogrified Kevin Durant's actual quote of "6 o'clock in the morning" to read "9 o'clock in the morning" ... of course, the really, really, really bad news is that the elite players already have an hour or two of work in the books by 6 AM anyway. By 9 AM, they've already finished their lengthy morning workout.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Or even the Cavs, really. I think the problem is basically that Griffin just isn't that good.

He's one of those players who I think will decline pretty quick once he loses his athleticism.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I really don't know how this trend of all the best players in the league teaming up got started...

If you look at the days of Michael Jordan, he won 6 championships while great players like Karl Malone and John Stockton had none. Hakeem got 2 but perhaps that was because Jordan wasn't playing a full season those 2 years. So now maybe when a Jordan like player comes around, these other superstars don't want to sit around while this guy gets the rings.

I mean maybe when Kobe Bryant won his fifth ring, Wade and Lebron were fearful they wouldn't win another ring. And now Lebron is Jordan like Curry and Durant are thinking the same thing.

In the days of Jordan perhaps it was impossible to do this, but now free agency is different.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
I really don't know how this trend of all the best players in the league teaming up got started...

When Wilt forced his way to the Lakers to play with West and Baylor in 1968. (There wasn't free agency back then, but Wilt used the bargaining chip of threatening to go to the ABA to create a superteam).

When Moses Malone joined Dr. J in 1982, putting back to back MVPs on the same team.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject:

There hasn't been parity in the league for the past 20+ years....

Chapter 1: Parity? What's that?

East has been a one team show for the past 5-6 years with maybe one challenger that only lasted a season and nobody else.

The Heat essentially were going to be THE team in the East since 2011. They had no competition, which is why the East was called so weak. They had the Pacers as a challenge for one season and that's it. Then the Cavs got a cake walk to the finals for the past 2 years even though the East was considered "strong" but in reality near everyone knew the Cavs were gonna be in the finals each year they were formed, just like they knew the Heat would, each year they were formed.

The only entertainment that's been in the playoffs was who was coming out in the West, but we knew the East was set. Even then the West up until the last two seasons has been the same 3 teams.

For 11 years of the 80s-Early 90's we knew the Lakers were likely going to the Finals, yet the whole Bird v Magic rivalry saved the NBA, despite the fact it was a one team race in the West for the majority of the 80s.

Putting a face on 'dominance' or a dominant team is never a bad thing in the NBA and it doesn't ruin it in any way.

Was anyone at large moaning about The Bulls 8 year run from 91-98 where they took home 6 titles in 8 seasons?

Was there any conspiracies being shaken at ESPN when the Bulls got Dennis Rodman after the Magic beat them? Did they care that the salary cap rules were broken just so Jordan would be able to put that team together?

No, they didn't, and they don't. Only when you're the team that "isn't supposed" to be the team that destroys other teams.

Enter The Warriors:

The Warriors were 'supposed' to be a fun and run team to usher in the new Era in the NBA, but nobody at large in the 'powers that be' expected their run to go longer than 3 seasons at most. They add Durant FAIR AND SQUARE mind you.. and are looking at being a dynasty without the name Jordan, Kobe or LeBron attached to it, and suddenly there's a problem?

Chapter 2: The NBA's DREAM Rebuild Scenario for "Basketball Reasons"

How about the fact that it's literally every team's dream to have enough home grown talent that you sign a big time free agent to join that talent? That was the NBA 'Dream' They sold when they "Basketball Reasoned" the Lakers.

Just because the Warriors actually put together a championship team with home grown talent and had cap space to sign a big time free agent shouldn't be a knock against them, it's essentially the perfect execution of a rebuilding plan the NBA wanted is it not?

It also happens because of Curry's contract.

But ANY team is aiming for what they just did. Imagine if all the players your team drafted became all-stars and so good they could contend for a championship, and then you enter an off-season with enough cap space for a Superstar, wouldn't you be all over it? Wouldn't we all consider that precisely what those years of rebuild and development were about?

Hey. Anthony Davis is a free agent in 4 years, how many "rebuilding" teams do you think would LOVE if the core they've been drafting became a championship contender and enabled them to have enough to sign Anthony Davis when he hits the market?

ALL OF THEM...

Would that "ruin" the NBA? No, not in the least.

On ESPN when the Cavs were struggling they were floating around ways that The Cavs could get DEMARCUS COUSINS on their darn team.

Their reason? "Cause LeBron needs more help!" So... adding DeMarcus Cousins to a team of LeBron, Kyrie and Love is fine... but Durant going to the Warriors is "not good for the NBA"?

Maybe it's because Curry's name is attached to the next dynasty and not the guy they've been pushing as THE narrative for the past 10 years. Cause I can sure as heck BET you, if the Cavs were a championship team that was home grown and they added a superstar like Durant in an off-season? It would be called BRILLIANT front office tactics, NOT 'the destruction of the NBA'.

Just my two cents on this narrative that's been floating around. This narrative of "if you home grow 4 all-star talents through great development and talent you shouldn't be allowed to sign a superstar in Free Agency!" crap.

How would you Lakers fans feel if Russell, Ingram, Clarkson and Randle all became all-star talents, Russell became an MVP candidate and we were a finals team the same off-season that Anthony Davis hits free agency? Are you gonna NOT jump on that cause 'oh it ain't fair..' or are you gonna say "No.. we drafted right! We developed right! This is what we've been aiming for! Developing our talent to the point of reaching their potential and then adding a superstar in free agency!" That's precisely what the Warriors just did.

The fact is, it's THE PERFECT rebuild scenario brass ring the NBA created when they stole Chris Paul from us. People just never thought they'd actually see it.

As I said, I'm sure Lakers fans wouldn't mind if Ingram, Russell and Randle became all-stars and made the Lakers a championship team right before Anthony Davis is about to hit the market..

and I'm sure Celtics fans wouldn't mind if Thomas, Bradley, Brown, Horford lead the Celtics to the ECF right before Davis is set to be a free agent.

Heck the Mavs have been stuck trying to BECOME the Miami Big 3, since they beat the Miami Big 3, and their team's been gutted time and again because of it leaving them with nothing.

It's the 'dream rebuild' scenario. We all have it. The Warriors just actually did it.

Every team that's in a rebuild WANTS this scenario.

The Perfect Scenario:
1. You build through the draft
2. Your young talent reaches their full potentials.
3. They lead you to the Finals or are a Championship Contender/Team.
4. Because of '3', they are a viable place for big time free agents to come to.
5. Because of building through the draft you have the money to max them.

Tell me that isn't the scenario every rebuilding team is hoping for...

And you know WHAT TEAM could have been the one to beat the Warriors to it....?

The freaking OKC Thunder.

But THEY decided to be cheap and choose Perkins over Harden and got rid of Jeff Green too.

the Thunder would have had a team of
Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Ibaka

6th man: Jeff Green

All home grown. THIS is what the NBA was pushing toward cause they were considered a 'small market, home grown' team. Because the new CBA was to try to prevent "multiple superstars" from going to a team in free agency(ie: The Miami Big 3, the Chris Paul trade being nixed), but they didn't want superstar teams where 2 stars went one place in free agency(unless LeBron's doing it).

So they pushed 'home grown' and maybe signing 'a superstar' if you rebuild right. And if you built a team with 2-3 superstars in the draft you were just a brilliant front office. OKC could have been that team to beat the Warriors to it, and were pushed by the NBA as that team... but they chose to be cheap and robbed that team of their rings by moving Harden and Jeff Green in order to save money. And their rings are left on the table because of it.

The Warriors however didn't do that and they reap the benefits, while OKC loses the players they grew there. I think if OKC had been the ones in the Warriors place of power right now.. nobody would be saying jack squat. Truth is, they could have been. But they got afraid to spend money, something Golden State was more than happy to do, and thus, as I said they reap the benefits.

Chapter 3: The Pistons vs Jordan, Larry vs Magic arguments

Also with the Pistons reference... the Pistons getting old and the Bulls entering their collective primes helped that Bulls team a LOT when it comes to Jordan getting through them and it being their time.

But if this happened...

What if Jordan had the prime Celtics in his way for a good 7-8 seasons, and then finally got through them as his team all but wallowed in the 2nd round or so every year due to circumstances.

Then in Year 9 FINALLY broke through for the Eastern Conference Finals...

However instead of an old past their prime Bad Boy Pistons... it was the Bad Boy Pistons IN THEIR PRIMES that had just arrived, and Jordan instead of looking at a team on the downslide, is looking at a team that has a younger roster in their prime, another good 3-4 years left in them and a brand new defense called "the Jordan Rules"....

Imagine if instead of them staring at the 90-91 Pistons... they were instead staring at the 87-88 Pistons....

Changes the perspective a bit doesn't it? Cause THAT is what Durant was staring at.

So before you even try to compare those scenarios, consider that Jordan was staring at a Pistons team that was on the decline while his Bulls were entering their primes so he knew eventually he was gonna break through and each time up was the learning experience.

That's not what Durant dealt with or saw. By the time his team 'broke through' a second time, there was another team that had broken through too, and was better than them. That's not what the 'old school' faced in that Jordan and the Bulls scenario.

It's not JUST the Bulls scenario either.

The Pistons, if we remember, FINALLY got past the Celtics for the same reasons, the Celtics got older, and the Pistons were entering their primes and ready.

DURANT's situation was that his team had already been in their (primes) for the past 5-6 seasons and didn't break through but one time, only to have that team taken from under his feet that very off-season(with the loss of Harden), and came up against another team that leap frogged them on the totem pole that had kept their core, and wasn't gonna "get old" on them, as they had a good 3 years left.

In essence, it was Durant's team that was on the other side now, and the Warriors staring at them the way they had stared at the Spurs and the Grizzlies. And still..no championship.

That's a scenario that Jordan never had looking at him, nor Isaiah back then, as they were on the side of the teams on the up, not the team already at their prime and stuck till they are the ones facing the team on the up. That's not to say they'd join the teams that beat them, but you NEED to take that into account before you try to compare the scenario with Durant's.

In essence.. that's like the Bulls finally making the finals, losing to the Lakers in 6 games, and then the Bulls trading Scottie Pippen that off-season for nothing...

Do you honestly still think Jordan stays in Chicago after 4 more frustrating years of carrying his team to the 2nd best record in the East, till they finally break through, having to work twice as hard, due to the loss of that core that took them to the Finals and then they have to deal with the Magic.. and without Pippen.. they get taken out..

And all of a sudden it's the Shaq and Penny show as The Rockets are a Championship team in the West that the Bulls can't beat without Scottie, and the Magic look on their way to being the Team in the East, The Knicks are on the rise as well and Jordan STILL has no ring.

Does he stay in Chicago and keep 'toughing it out' cause his team can still make the 2nd and 3rd round every year despite them staying there for 4 straight seasons and the decline coming and the prime about to hit the back end? Does he have time to 'push through' a team in their prime for another 3-4 years hoping they can push through towards an inevitable loss in the Finals? Think about that..because that's what Durant was looking at.

Chapter 4: Something to think about

One last thought...

If the Spurs had added Aldridge in the summer of 2014(coming off a championship) rather than the summer of 2015.. would it be called 'the destruction of the NBA' or would the Spurs instead be touted the 'best front office in basketball.'? And would Aldridge be called a "Coward" because the Spurs beat his Blazers before he left.. Or would he be touted as making the best decision for himself and chance to win a ring with the best organization?

I think we already know the answer. So I'll leave it at that ^_^

Epilogue: Oh yeah 'Parity'.. there's that word again.

One last thing though, there's been no parity in the NBA for the past 18 years.

It's been the Spurs or the Lakers since 1999 in the West bar the one year(s) Dallas and the Thunder made it to the Finals and the recent emergence of the Warriors.

Let's do that

1999: Spurs
2000: Lakers
2001: Lakers
2002: Lakers
2003: Spurs
2004: Lakers
2005: Spurs
2006: Mavericks
2007: Spurs
2008: Lakers
2009: Lakers
2010: Lakers
2011: Mavs
2012: Thunder
2013: Spurs
2014: Spurs

So from the 98/99 - 13/14 The Lakers or the Spurs were in 13 NBA Finals.. that's 13 of 16 seasons....

And the Heat or the Cavs in the East since 2010. I'll even go a step farther, since the 2006-07 Season, the Heat or the Cavs have been in the Finals 7 times.

2007: Cavs
2008: Celtics
2009: Magic
2010: Celtics
2011: Heat
2012: Heat
2013: Heat
2014: Heat
2015: Cavs
2016: Cavs

And guess what.. 2017? It's probably gonna be the Cavs again.

That will be 7 times in 10 years, and if they do it this season which they likely will, it will be 8 times in 11.

We as basketball fans for the most part have a good idea who is going to the Finals every year.

It's gonna be 1 of the same 4 teams we all know are the favorites. Just 4 teams in a 30 team league no matter what we try to tell ourselves for any kind of underdog.

So parity? ....

There is no parity.

Fin.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject:

^^^

Epic post, but it fails to grasp a salient point re: Kevin Durant's signing from the NBA's perspective. Specifically, Durant (2016 Second Team All NBA, #5 in 2016 MVP Vote ... also, a 27 year old with a five year run of First Team All NBA nods in his rearview mirror) joined a team that won 73 games in 2016, which is already comprised of ...

1. Steph Curry (27 years old; 2016 and 2015 First Team All NBA, 2x Reigning MVP [2015 - 2016])
2. Draymond Green (26 years old; 2016 Second Team All NBA, 2x Reigning DPOY Runner-up [2015 - 2016])
3. Klay Thompson (26 years old; 2016 and 2015 Third Team All NBA)
4. Andre Iguodala (32 years old; #2 in 2016 Sixth Man Vote, #4 in 2015 Sixth Man Vote)
5. Coach Steve Kerr (2016 NBA Coach of the Year, #2 in 2015 NBA Coach of the Year Vote)

This lineup is nothing like the Heat. If the Heatles version of LeBron is the equivalent of 2016 Steph, the Heatles version of Dwyane Wade would maybe be the equivalent of 2016 Klay (and that's a generous assessment considering the average level of play and availability Wade brought to bear from 2011 - 2014). The Heatles version of Chris Bosh is certainly below the performance levels of 2016 Durant AND 2016 Draymond Green (Bosh has one Second Team All NBA nod in his career, in 2007). But even if you give him extra credit and compare him to Green, the Warriors still have Kevin Durant AND Andre Iguodala, both of whom are significantly better than anyone else the Heatles rolled out during their four year run. And in Durant's case, the argument can reasonably be made that he's basically a LeBron-level player.

If the Heat had the 2011 - 2014 versions of LeBron, Wade and Bosh, PLUS prime Dwight Howard and maybe someone like prime Lamar Odom (because on a combined basis, the 2016 versions of Kevin Durant and Andre Iguodala are AT LEAST as productive as prime Howard and prime Odom) ... that would be an equivalent roster to compare to the 2016/2017 Golden State Warriors. But they didn't have anything approaching that lopsided of a roster ...

This lineup is nothing like the current Cavaliers. If the Cavs version of LeBron is the equivalent of 2016 Steph, the Cavs version of Kyrie Irving would maybe be the equivalent of 2016 Klay. The Cavs version of Kevin Love is certainly below the performance levels of 2016 Durant AND 2016 Draymond Green (Love has two Second Team All NBA nods in his career, in 2012 and 2014). But even if you give him extra credit and compare him to Durant (which is extraordinarily generous, frankly), the Warriors still have Draymond Green AND Andre Iguodala, both of whom are significantly better than anyone else the Cavs are currently rolling out. And in Green's case (given his play on both ends of the court), the argument can reasonably be made that he's basically a Irving-level player. If you disagree, check out the MVP voting.

If the Cavs had the 2016 versions of LeBron, Irving and Love, PLUS prime Tyson Chandler and maybe someone like prime Manu Ginobili (because on a combined basis, the 2016 versions of Draymond Green and Andre Iguodala are AT LEAST as productive as prime Chandler and prime Ginobili) ... that would be an equivalent roster to compare to the 2016/2017 Golden State Warriors. But again, they didn't have anything approaching that lopsided of a roster ...

Look at those equivalent Heatles and Cavalier line-ups again ... what kind of shop would those teams wreck in the NBA? Bottom line: You might not understand the VAST differences between this Golden State situation and the others that have come before, but others do (e.g., Adam Silver) ...

Last edited by the association on Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject:

^ I won't lie man, I'm looking forward to the spectacle.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: