GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/241862/Is-Luol-Deng-A-More-Valuable-Free-Agent-Than-DeMar-DeRozan

I just found a great article from Real GM back in May and it explains why Deng will be a great quiet pick up for some team. It mentions many teams will be chasing Durant and someone will swoop Deng up. It also reaffirms what we already know... That Deng is great at the 4 spot on defense and offense and he will be a wiser pick up (except for the age) than DeRozan.

I just found a great article from Real GM back in May and it explains why Deng will be a great quiet pick up for some team. It mentions many teams will be chasing Durant and someone will swoop Deng up. It also reaffirms what we already know... That Deng is great at the 4 spot on defense and offense and he will be a wiser pick up (except for the age) than DeRozan.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
http://basketball.realgm.com/article/241862/Is-Luol-Deng-A-More-Valuable-Free-Agent-Than-DeMar-DeRozan

Just out of curiosity, why did you type that and then copy and paste it again?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I hit send too quickly and the link didn't show up as a clickable link. I tend to do that sometimes, so I quickly went back and tried to fix it before anyone can read the post... I guess I goofed up... Sorry...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I hit send too quickly and the link didn't show up as a clickable link. I tend to do that sometimes, so I quickly went back and tried to fix it before anyone can read the post... I guess I goofed up... Sorry...

No worries, just couldn't figure out how that happened.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject:

When is his press conference? Would he even have one?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Sago wrote:
When is his press conference? Would he even have one?

Not sure, but I'd like to see it too. His interview with with LakersNation.com was great. Can't wait to see him in action!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject:

Luol Deng will bring maturity and grit to the purple and gold

Quote:
Deng immediately becomes the best perimeter defender the Lakers have, with the size and length to bother opposing small forwards or play a small-ball four. Deng rarely makes mental mistakes and has been good for a steal per game throughout his career. At 6’9" and 220 pounds, he can weather some of the tougher, more physical match-ups that would have otherwise gone to Ingram, allowing the rookie to grow into his role.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/9/1/12755272/la-lakers-rank-luol-deng-free-agency-contract-analysis
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
Deng immediately becomes the best perimeter defender the Lakers have, with the size and length to bother opposing small forwards or play a small-ball four. Deng rarely makes mental mistakes and has been good for a steal per game throughout his career. At 6’9" and 220 pounds, he can weather some of the tougher, more physical match-ups that would have otherwise gone to Ingram, allowing the rookie to grow into his role.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/9/1/12755272/la-lakers-rank-luol-deng-free-agency-contract-analysis

No one seems to be talking about the Deng signing but if he plays close to his all star level like he did a few years back we will have a nice building block.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

No one seems to be talking about the Deng signing but if he plays close to his all star level like he did a few years back we will have a nice building block.

The Lakers have an incredibly versatile roster. Moving Deng to PF while Randle gets a breather to play along side Ingram is going to fun to watch defensively.

Length at every position - (That's what she said)
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Fixed that
Fixed that
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject:

Deng is a great pickup for this team because he will be able to play next to either Randle or Ingram. Can't wait for our kids to grow!!
RJ_LA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject:

I'm predicting a 41 win season next year, and Luol is a big reason why.
He's going to help the young guys tremendously on the court, on the bench and in the locker room.

You can tell from his interviews that he's very articulate. I could see him in a coaching role after he retires. It's this trait that makes him the perfect mentor for Ingram.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

RJ_LA wrote:
I'm predicting a 41 win season next year, and Luol is a big reason why.
He's going to help the young guys tremendously on the court, on the bench and in the locker room.

You can tell from his interviews that he's very articulate. I could see him in a coaching role after he retires. It's this trait that makes him the perfect mentor for Ingram.

I've always felt Deng would somehow find his way to the Lakers.

However, to be fair, when Deng was on that terrible Cavs team with Irving, his leadership skills apparently weren't apparent. Could be he didn't want to stay there, or that he's not a vocal type of leader.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject:

I can see him playing solid minutes early (36 or so) and then that going down to less as the season progresses.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I can see him playing solid minutes early (36 or so) and then that going down to less as the season progresses.

Deng playing 36 mpg? That's a lot.

He's played 33, 33, and 32mpg the past 3 seasons. I see it around the 30-31mpg mark this year and declining going forward. He'll be our Iggy.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

31 year old Deng with almost 30,000 career minutes on a rebuilding team ain't playing 36 minutes. Thibs ain't coaching here.

I imagine he'll be around 28-31 minutes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
31 year old Deng with almost 30,000 career minutes on a rebuilding team ain't playing 36 minutes. Thibs ain't coaching here.

Sounds right. And declining each year.

He'll become a "quality" over "quantity" reserve. Really like his signing.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Sounds right. And declining each year.

He'll become a "quality" over "quantity" reserve. Really like his signing.

Exactly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

He's played 33, 33, and 32mpg the past 3 seasons. I see it around the 30-31mpg mark this year and declining going forward. He'll be our Iggy.

30 minutes would be better for the development of our young players, with that declining as the season progresses. We still benefit from his play while getting our youngsters more PT.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

30 minutes would be better for the development of our young players, with that declining as the season progresses. We still benefit from his play while getting our youngsters more PT.

Well you said 36mpg, which I don't think he's physically capable of doing.

I could see this year being Deng's final year starting, then he'd be a super 6th man capable of playing both forward spots. A really valuable player IMO for our team going forward.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject:

Deng would be more effective playing 30 minutes max.
After this season he will graciously take a backseat to the younger guys. The decreased workload will lengthen his career.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

I still think Deng/Randle can work even if Randle doesn't significantly improve his jumper. Deng could basically play the role of stretch 4 on offense with Julius operating from the perimeter or the post. Randle can penetrate and collapse the defense as well as anybody leaving Deng free for open shots. I'm thinking of a Lebron/Love dynamic. Lebron's jumper wasn't as bad as Randle last year put it was pretty bad to the point where defenses didn't have to respect it and they still made it work for most of the season. Randle would have to make improvements in his passing, shooting and finishing for it be to be really effective.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

Scaletta’s Summer Top 100 Countdown: #64 – Luol Deng

Quote:
Deng is one of the most respected players in the league for his character and leadership. On a team that had the Snapchat shenanigans the Lakers did last year, it’s a good move for the Lakers to pick him up. The Lakers are young and talented, but they need a player who gives them ballast and a sense of direction, and there probably aren’t many who can fill that role so well without dominating the ball.

Deng will bring the maturity the Lakers need without being overly aggressive. He’ll support rather than undermine their efforts. In short: the Lakers probably could not have found a better “mentor” for their fledgling core than Deng. But how much can he bring to the team on the court?

http://www.todaysfastbreak.com/nba-west/los-angeles-lakers/scalettas-summer-top-100-countdown-64-luol-deng/
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
82games.com also has position splits, and they confirm the same thing. Deng’s Player Efficiency Rating as a small forward was 12.2. As a power forward it was 17.8. And he’s playing in an offense which will be orchestrated by Luke Walton, who was with the Golden State Warriors last year.

If you’re looking for a “poor man’s Draymond Green,” you can do a lot worse than Luol Deng. If he plays the 4, his offense will be fine. If he plays the 3, maybe not.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

No worries, just couldn't figure out how that happened.

I didn't notice anything strange about his post. Maybe it's you Omar.

I didn't notice anything strange about his post. Maybe it's you Omar.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 3 of 157
Jump to: