OFFICIAL TARIK BLACK THREAD (Reported to sign with Rockets)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Doesn't Black have a little mid-range game that Byron did not let him showcase?

Black's benching by Byron was one of the other more inexplicable coaching moves.

I could not understand it either. Black was the best center on the team last year, yet Byron kept trotting out Roy even though he was completely in-effective.

The Tank was strong with Byron. Very strong.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Black's benching by Byron was one of the other more inexplicable coaching moves.

It almost seemed like Byron's benching of Tarik was about proving a point, that he was going to play ball his way instead of adapting.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It almost seemed like Byron's benching of Tarik was about proving a point, that he was going to play ball his way instead of adapting.

how did that work out for him (Byron)

NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

In a season filled with inexplicable coaching moves. Then again, after few months we were all just rolling our eyes and calling them Byronisms.

To me, Tarik was our best big off the P&R. He knew his job was to set screens and he finished well around the basket with either hand.

Between Tarik and Timofey I expect to see a steady diet of high screen and roll with much better results this season.
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I could not understand it either. Black was the best center on the team last year, yet Byron kept trotting out Roy even though he was completely in-effective.

Not only that, he gave Ryan Kelly and Robert Sacre over minutes over Tarik Black, after Black proved to everyone he deserved a spot in the a season before... under Byron! Where are Kelly and Sacre now? Out of the league. The guy is a moron coach.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Clearly new coach and front office think differently of black compared to bscott
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject:

Undeterred Tarik Black ready to earn larger role with Lakers
Quote:
During the young center’s second season with the Los Angeles Lakers, he only played in 39 games, logging just 12.7 minutes off the bench in those sparse appearances.
But the former Kansas big man, who this summer agreed to a two-year deal to stay with L.A., thinks his trials should only help him.

“You can look at the negatives. You can look at the positives. I choose to look at the positives from every situation,” Black told the Los Angeles Daily News.
“The positives of that was it built my character.”

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/hawks_nba/2016/jul/13/undeterred-tarik-black-ready-to-earn-lar/?templates=desktop
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject:

BScott had to "hide" Black by not playing him, otherwise other teams would have taken greater interests on him.

Strategy.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Undeterred Tarik Black ready to earn larger role with Lakers
Quote:
During the young center’s second season with the Los Angeles Lakers, he only played in 39 games, logging just 12.7 minutes off the bench in those sparse appearances.
But the former Kansas big man, who this summer agreed to a two-year deal to stay with L.A., thinks his trials should only help him.

“You can look at the negatives. You can look at the positives. I choose to look at the positives from every situation,” Black told the Los Angeles Daily News.
“The positives of that was it built my character.”

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/hawks_nba/2016/jul/13/undeterred-tarik-black-ready-to-earn-lar/?templates=desktop

All the interviews I've seen so far from our youngsters show a great mentality and will. This is great.
They're committed.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

Love it!

TB is now 24, and fully rested from last season LOL!

He will be ready to beast it this season, watch out!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject:

Tarik Black Interview:

Quote:
Although Black’s top priority was to remain with the Lakers, he discussed his concerns with new head coach Luke Walton before ultimately re-signing. While Walton is entering his first season as the Lakers head coach, he served as an assistant coach at the University of Memphis during the 2011 NBA lockout where they developed a “pretty good” relationship. “I don’t want the ceiling to be set lower than my potential,” Black recalled of his conversation with Walton. “If I can grow to be this, give me the room to grow into that.” 27 mins ago – via Facebook.com

https://www.facebook.com/dan.duangdao/posts/1370921312972621:0
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject:

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20160712/lakers-tarik-black-said-luke-walton-promised-him-a-fair-shot

Not sure if its been posted already, but a pretty cool read.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Went back to listen to Black's exit interview now that he's back in the fold. This dude is amazing. He should fit into the new team culture perfectly. When he talked about playing hard but needing to learn and be instructed on how to grow as a player, I could just imagine Luke helping him grow in that manner.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8rExippaXY
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject:

Tarik Black Thinks Lakers Fans Should Be ‘Excited’ For The Future In L.A.

Quote:
The combination of all this young talent with a head coach that appears to be on the same page with his players is a step in the right direction for the struggling franchise. Even though there’s no telling how long this rebuild will take, the youth movement is underway with Walton having all the right pieces to build his own legacy as one of the better coaches in this league.

http://www.lakersnation.com/tarik-black-thinks-lakers-fans-should-be-excited-for-the-future-in-la/2016/07/18/
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject:

I'm very excited to see what he brings next year.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:

Mozgov, Black and Zubac are good problems to have at the center position. I wonder if Luke will trot out the 7 footer line-ups the way Phil did with Gasol and Bynum.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mozgov, Black and Zubac are good problems to have at the center position. I wonder if Luke will trot out the 7 footer line-ups the way Phil did with Gasol and Bynum.

Probably not. Phil's second run with the Lakers might have only been 5 years ago, but the game has changed dramatically since then. It was easy to play two 7 footers back then because most teams were still going with "traditional" 5's and 4's. In this era that's no longer the case.

But Black is pretty mobile for his size. Between he, Mozgov, and Zubac, he's the only one who could possibly get away with playing the 4 for about a 5-6 minute stretch sometimes. I still don't see Luke going in that direction though.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It's totally explicable. Byron isn't qualified to coach a basketball team and his bosses were keeping him in place because they wanted to secure high draft picks while protecting the business side. They did that by feeding Bryant which was Scott's lone competency.

The kids suffered but all has been made right with bringing in the perfect coach to develop the team while helping them with their ptsd.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject:

Our center spot will be really competitive in terms of fighting for PT.

I see the rotational depth as of now as:

1. Moz (24-25mpg)
2. Black (15-16mpg)
3. Zubac
4. Randle or Nance
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Probably not. Phil's second run with the Lakers might have only been 5 years ago, but the game has changed dramatically since then. It was easy to play two 7 footers back then because most teams were still going with "traditional" 5's and 4's. In this era that's no longer the case.

But Black is pretty mobile for his size. Between he, Mozgov, and Zubac, he's the only one who could possibly get away with playing the 4 for about a 5-6 minute stretch sometimes. I still don't see Luke going in that direction though.

I don't think that's entirely true. IMO if you have two beastly post players you assert your will and force the other team to adapt.

What I'm saying is that if a team has two 7 footers with great post games you should try your best to punish teams on the inside and force them adapt even if you are giving up some mobility. Imo you just find some great 3&D players to surround the bigs with and have them play tight in the 3 point line forcing the other team into mid range jumpers. Theoretically taking away the teams greatest weakness, the 3-pointer, and forcing them into the least effecient shot in basketball, midrange.

In theory it works because we're taking shots at the rim limiting transition offense, have a clear rebounding advantage, and take away the two most effective shots 3 and in the paint. Pretty much stopping everything that makes small ball effective.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject:

Clearly the issue is having two allstar caliber bigs lol

Doesn't happen very often which is why teams have gone small
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Moz (24-25mpg)
2. Black (15-16mpg)
3. Zubac
4. Randle or Nance

I honestly think black may end up taking sacres role from last season. he will only play on b2b and if there is an injury or something. Think about it, we have to make room for nance and Randle to get 30 mpg and they play the same position (both first round picks). One or both will split their minutes as the small ball center. That basically eliminates the need for black unless there is an injury or someone is being rested (nance last season)

IMO

Mosgov 24 mpg - Zubac 12 - nance/Randle 12
Randle 24 - nance 24

It sucks but zubacs potential is just greater and will most likely be our starting center in a few years, and nance/Randle can already play small ball center.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Judah wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I don't think that's entirely true. IMO if you have two beastly post players you assert your will and force the other team to adapt.

What I'm saying is that if a team has two 7 footers with great post games you should try your best to punish teams on the inside and force them adapt even if you are giving up some mobility. Imo you just find some great 3&D players to surround the bigs with and have them play tight in the 3 point line forcing the other team into mid range jumpers. Theoretically taking away the teams greatest weakness, the 3-pointer, and forcing them into the least effecient shot in basketball, midrange.

In theory it works because we're taking shots at the rim limiting transition offense, have a clear rebounding advantage, and take away the two most effective shots 3 and in the paint. Pretty much stopping everything that makes small ball effective.

Which no team in the league has, let alone the Lakers. Even if you have two 7 footers on the floor together who can "dominate" in the post, they'd have to be extremely mobile for their size if you expect them to defend. The opposing team that's playing small can still push the ball down your throat after you just scored in the post. Not to mention the fact that it'll be easier for them to double team your post players because they'll have quick enough feet to rotate (better have some very good shooters as well). Good luck on finding bigs like that in today's league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Moz (24-25mpg)
2. Black (15-16mpg)
3. Zubac
4. Randle or Nance

I honestly think black may end up taking sacres role from last season. he will only play on b2b and if there is an injury or something. Think about it, we have to make room for nance and Randle to get 30 mpg and they play the same position (both first round picks). One or both will split their minutes as the small ball center. That basically eliminates the need for black unless there is an injury or someone is being rested (nance last season)

IMO

Mosgov 24 mpg - Zubac 12 - nance/Randle 12
Randle 24 - nance 24

It sucks but zubacs potential is just greater and will most likely be our starting center in a few years, and nance/Randle can already play small ball center.

I love Zub, and hope he is our starting center of the future, but Black is way more NBA ready than him. He offers mobility which Moz/Zub don't.

At this point, the question is how much small ball they'll go with Nance/Randle at C.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Judah wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

Which no team in the league has, let alone the Lakers. Even if you have two 7 footers on the floor together who can "dominate" in the post, they'd have to be extremely mobile for their size if you expect them to defend. The opposing team that's playing small can still push the ball down your throat after you just scored in the post. Not to mention the fact that it'll be easier for them to double team your post players because they'll have quick enough feet to rotate (better have some very good shooters as well). Good luck on finding bigs like that in today's league.

So according to your logic we may as well just accept that bigmen are now irrelevant. I think it's an interesting concept considering that the majority of NBA title team have at least 1 dominant bigman on their roster With the exceptions of recent champions cavs and gsw (I haven't researched to see if there are more)

The point is that the idea that bigmen win rings has been proven. Small ball is honestly still an experiment and it has been proven to work with once in a lifetime greats like curry and Lebron. Results inconclusive IMO
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 45 of 66
Jump to: