Potential Remaining Targets

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Potential Remaining Targets

Based on the style of offense we are gearing up to have, it would seem that we would want to target "Position-Less" players, guys who can play multiple positions, with their key being the ability to defend and work hard on offense. Here are a few listed veteran guys that are still available and might be able to contribute to this Lakers team this season...

Gerald Green: SG/SF/PF
Could this be his opportunity to finally come to LA and make a significant contribution. We had him and chances at him a couple of times, but obviously he was too young and when we did have him and he'd matured a little, we made a bonehead move and let him go. Green can shoot the 3-Ball and he can protect the rim also. Although we have our wing players it would be interesting to see if he could carve out a spot for himself on this roster. I have to be honest, I believe we are still lacking a true Shooting Guard and he might be a good fit along either Russell or Clarkson, he's bigger and could cover more ground, but it would seem small ball would suit him well...

JJ Hickson: PF/C

He's an unrestricted FA and only 27 years old and more than capable of playing the 5 spot as he's proven before on his other teams. For some reason he didn't get much opportunity, but when he did he was pretty productive. I believe he could be a much younger/bigger/stronger more athletic replacement for Brandon Bass.
I could picture him in the small ball lineup as our 5 controlling the paint, getting rebounds and helping to push the ball up on the breaks.
I think he'd be a good selection for the Lakers.

Josh Smith: SF/PF/C
Smith is still rather intriguing more so for his ability to play defense. He's probably more of a streaky shooter than consistent, but he's very capable of scoring the ball if given time and opportunity. The question would be what kind of Veteran and Locker room guy could he be on this team. At only 30 he still has enough in the tank IMO to make a significant impact on a team and I think Luke's system would bode well for him here. He's another position-less player that could fill in anywhere from 2-5 and once again his ability to block shots at the rim can't be overlooked.

JaVale McGee: C
JaVale's had it rough the last couple of seasons, it seems ever since he left Denver, he just couldn't get back on track. The funny thing is that the new money being handed out has been a dangling carrot for a lot of players to return to the NBA with a chip on their shoulder. I'm only putting McGee down simply for his ability to defend. He altered a ton of shots and hot blocks in the past, it's possible he could resurrect that type of play on this team and in this offense, not to mention his ability to rebound the ball. Players who are athletic and work hard around the rim should get a ton of garbage points, because I'm sure we'll be jacking up a lot of three's. We also can't overlook the fact that he's 28 years old, so there's still some youth in him. He would just have to refocus to make it here in LA and not on the Clippers...(They continue to take all of our Players)

Note Worthy: Moe Harlkess, Chase Budinger, Ty Lawson, Mario Chalmers, Kevin Martin, Lance Stephenson

Predicated on youth and athleticism with a few exceptions, there are still some veteran free agents the Lakers could add to make the team as competitive as possible...

Who else might be available in trade or free agency the Lakers could target?
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential Remaining Targets

lakurluv wrote:
Based on the style of offense we are gearing up to have, it would seem that we would want to target "Position-Less" players, guys who can play multiple positions, with their key being the ability to defend and work hard on offense. Here are a few listed veteran guys that are still available and might be able to contribute to this Lakers team this season...

Could this be his opportunity to finally come to LA and make a significant contribution. We had him and chances at him a couple of times, but obviously he was too young and when we did have him and he'd matured a little, we made a bonehead move and let him go. Green can shoot the 3-Ball and he can protect the rim also. Although we have our wing players it would be interesting to see if he could carve out a spot for himself on this roster. I have to be honest, I believe we are still lacking a true Shooting Guard and he might be a good fit along either Russell or Clarkson, he's bigger and could cover more ground, but it would seem small ball would suit him well...

JJ Hickson: PF/C

He's an unrestricted FA and only 27 years old and more than capable of playing the 5 spot as he's proven before on his other teams. For some reason he didn't get much opportunity, but when he did he was pretty productive. I believe he could be a much younger/bigger/stronger more athletic replacement for Brandon Bass.
I could picture him in the small ball lineup as our 5 controlling the paint, getting rebounds and helping to push the ball up on the breaks.
I think he'd be a good selection for the Lakers.

Josh Smith: SF/PF/C
Smith is still rather intriguing more so for his ability to play defense. He's probably more of a streaky shooter than consistent, but he's very capable of scoring the ball if given time and opportunity. The question would be what kind of Veteran and Locker room guy could he be on this team. At only 30 he still has enough in the tank IMO to make a significant impact on a team and I think Luke's system would bode well for him here. He's another position-less player that could fill in anywhere from 2-5 and once again his ability to block shots at the rim can't be overlooked.

JaVale McGee: C
JaVale's had it rough the last couple of seasons, it seems ever since he left Denver, he just couldn't get back on track. The funny thing is that the new money being handed out has been a dangling carrot for a lot of players to return to the NBA with a chip on their shoulder. I'm only putting McGee down simply for his ability to defend. He altered a ton of shots and hot blocks in the past, it's possible he could resurrect that type of play on this team and in this offense, not to mention his ability to rebound the ball. Players who are athletic and work hard around the rim should get a ton of garbage points, because I'm sure we'll be jacking up a lot of three's. We also can't overlook the fact that he's 28 years old, so there's still some youth in him. He would just have to refocus to make it here in LA and not on the Clippers...(They continue to take all of our Players)

Note Worthy: Moe Harlkess, Chase Budinger, Ty Lawson, Mario Chalmers, Kevin Martin, Lance Stephenson

Predicated on youth and athleticism with a few exceptions, there are still some veteran free agents the Lakers could add to make the team as competitive as possible...

Who else might be available in trade or free agency the Lakers could target?

A few of them on that list that might interest us. One is Harkless, and of course he's RFA. I'd like to keep the likes of Green, Stephenson, and Josh Smith far, far, away from our kids. They're talented but egocentric, just what we don't need.

I've always liked to add tall, athletic players like McGee. So for a cheap contract, why not?. Veteran shooters like Martin/Budinger on the cheap are options.

No to Mitch's alum Lawson. Talented, but apparently troubled. Plus we've already got Russell, Calderon, Huertas, an even Clarkson a bit at the 1.

JJ Hickson has played well practically every time I've seen him, problem is I haven't seen him in a couple of seasons.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Potential Remaining Targets

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
A few of them on that list that might interest us. One is Harkless, and of course he's RFA. I'd like to keep the likes of Green, Stephenson, and Josh Smith far, far, away from our kids. They're talented but egocentric, just what we don't need.

I've always liked to add tall, athletic players like McGee. So for a cheap contract, why not?. Veteran shooters like Martin/Budinger on the cheap are options.

No to Mitch's alum Lawson. Talented, but apparently troubled. Plus we've already got Russell, Calderon, Huertas, an even Clarkson a bit at the 1.

JJ Hickson has played well practically every time I've seen him, problem is I haven't seen him in a couple of seasons.

I would have to agree on the egocentric players, although they are top tier talent and deserve consideration.

IMO Hickson is probably the BEST match for this team and I'm also not quite sure on why we haven't seen or heard from him in a while, I didn't think he was injured, but maybe just a rotational thing.
McGee once again could be had for cheap and might offer some quality minutes off the bench defensively.
lugo175
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject:

why not he may work for the right price tho
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I truly don't believe Green is that much of a problem from this list. I think he's manageable but will just need time on the floor in order to produce at a high level.
He maybe worth the add. However Harkless may be able to fill all of those positions in Luke's offense as well.

I also recently read that RUDY GAY is on the block from Sacramento, I think a solid package for him would consist of Young/Williams and our recently acquired Pics from the Calderon acquisition should suffice.

Gay's not an All Star but close, maybe close enough to make a significant difference on this team and truth be told in this style of NBA where you have positionless players, I would have him as the starting 2 guard spot. Green can make a nice backup to Gay and Clarkson can be the backup combo to Russell or visa-versa depending on who's game improved the most over the summer...

Russell 6'5 - Clarkson 6'5
Gay 6'8 - Green 6'8
Deng 6'9 - Ingram 6'9
Randle 6'9 Nance 6'9
Mozgov 7'1 - Zubac 7'1

Talk about symmetry...DO IT MITCH AND JIM!!! LOL
lugo175
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
I truly don't believe Green is that much of a problem from this list. I think he's manageable but will just need time on the floor in order to produce at a high level.
He maybe worth the add. However Harkless may be able to fill all of those positions in Luke's offense as well.

I also recently read that RUDY GAY is on the block from Sacramento, I think a solid package for him would consist of Young/Williams and our recently acquired Pics from the Calderon acquisition should suffice.

Gay's not an All Star but close, maybe close enough to make a significant difference on this team and truth be told in this style of NBA where you have positionless players, I would have him as the starting 2 guard spot. Green can make a nice backup to Gay and Clarkson can be the backup combo to Russell or visa-versa depending on who's game improved the most over the summer...

Russell 6'5 - Clarkson 6'5
Gay 6'8 - Green 6'8
Deng 6'9 - Ingram 6'9
Randle 6'9 Nance 6'9
Mozgov 7'1 - Zubac 7'1

Talk about symmetry...DO IT MITCH AND JIM!!! LOL

yeah I like Harkless but no one is moving on him not even blazers
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:

Gay is owed a bit over $27.5million the next two seasons, I would pass on him to keep enough for a max FA... especially in light of what the Lakers will be paying Deng & Molotav...
lugo175
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject:

looks like Harkless may be obtainable
since they just signed C.J. McCollum extension
maybe on a low amount for Lakers
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: