How do the Pros do it? Shooting practice and weight lifting

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerpark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: How do the Pros do it? Shooting practice and weight lifting

I'm curious how the Pros combine Weight Lifting and shooting practice in the same workout?

Do they shoot first and then do weights after the shoot around or do they lift first and then do their shoot around?

Which is the best order?

I'm talking about back to back consecutive workouts....not a morning then evening workout.

Thanks
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject:

They shoot 16lb kettlebells at a 40 foot rim from the bottom of a high-dive pool.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

i hear you, man. they are just in another world. we work out and shoot in our spare time, they do it for a living. they have hardcore routines involving what they eat, their schedule, rest time, rehab time, stretching, regiments mixing aerobic and strength components. Really weird exercises that require multiple people and expensive equipment. (supplements and the whole routine/schedule around that).

For a normal person, shooting threes and working out (strength) is a difficult combo to deal with. It really messes with the shot and is extremely frustrating. I've run into a few people who don't have much of a problem with it. They tend to have very stiff, proper form on the shot (no weird elbows or long windups). They also tend to be people who work out a LOT (like 2-3 hours a day) so like the pros, they are spending 4-5 hours in a gym daily.

What you see in the NBA is unusual for a normal person. One thing to consider...you don't need to be very muscular to be a good basketball player, especially as a long range shooter. One option is just to forego a lot of the glamour muscle exercises and focus the time on shooting instead.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

It seems like they get in the weight room first, and then do basketball drills (not just shooting, but dribbling as well) after.

Keep in mind that their weight room workouts are different than someone who is looking to get "bigger" or add a bunch of muscle. You can look up some videos of these guys working out on YouTube, but it's not like they're not doing bicep curls with the heaviest weights possible until their arms feel like they're falling off.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:

ask the Lakers strength and conditioning coach on his twitter. He answers questions like this all the time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

Lakerpark wrote:
I'm curious how the Pros combine Weight Lifting and shooting practice in the same workout?

Do they shoot first and then do weights after the shoot around or do they lift first and then do their shoot around?

Which is the best order?

I'm talking about back to back consecutive workouts....not a morning then evening workout.

Thanks

I've seen this debated for years, and different players seem to have different attitudes about it.

For example, Jordan was known to do light weights and quick reps before practice, while other players prefer to lift after practice when their muscles are warm and so it won't affect their shooting form.

The consensus seems to be that there is no right or wrong answer: It depends on your body, your recovery time, your preferences, and the type of workout you're doing.

As far as I know, there isn't any strong scientific evidence to support one approach or the other. While teams have scheduled times for practice, I believe they leave the lifting schedule up to individual players preferences.

So, if you are asking what you should do: Just listen to your body. My sense is if you are just starting out lifting, I would do it after practice. If you lift enough that you feel OK to do just about anything after a 45 min.-hour lifting session, just do what you prefer.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

Lift like an NFL player. Girls will flock to you.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject:

"Practice? We're talkn bout practice?!"
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject:

I would imagine that they'd shoot first, then lift. First off they are not going to low rep, power lift but rather higher rep that still gives you decent strength and flexibility. Shooting or structured practice will definitely warm you up for the lifting afterwards. If you lift before you shoot, I would imagine that your muscle groups might be a bit tight, and you might have some aftereffects of the lactic acid in those muscle groups, which in turn may adversely affect your shooting form and accuracy. I also imagine this more closely parallels your body during game conditions; you might feel fatigue, but you're not feeling the shakes with the lactic acid.

This is just a guess.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: