Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Yea he said Larry can be special!
Larreh Larreh!!!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton On His Goals For This Season: ‘Start Something Special’

Quote:
“To start something. Start something special. I think that the front office and them have done a very good job of building this young talent over the last couple of years and now we’ve added some nice vets to help win games, but also to show the young guys what it’s like to be a professional in this league and what it takes to win in this league.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/luke-walton-on-his-goals-for-this-season-start-something-special/2016/07/16/
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject:

LETS GO LUKE!
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject:

I'm getting excited!

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
http://am570lasports.iheart.com/onair/la-today-with-bill-reiter-and-55470/luke-walton-brandon-ingram-has-a-14913763/

Pretty cool interview on 7-15-16. Tell us his thoughts on being the new coach in L.A. what advice Steve Kerr gave to him, why Mozgov was a key signing, and more.

Some of the stuff:
-Mozgov: they liked how he could pass, shoot a bit, post up. They liked his mobility. Liked his rim protection a lot. Luke pushed for him big time.
-Ingram: Luke gave some tempered praise, said he is extremely coachable and likable. Thinks he can be an all-star, but doesn't believe in comparisons.
-Russell: Said he was fantastic in summer league, he's been a real leader, he's been picking the coach's brains. He's come to the gym before the summer team practices and also returned at night time.
-Nance: Luke loves the little things that he does. Thinks he can be "special" with a jumper. "Incredible."
-Overall: wants to set the foundation and culture this year, thinks the wins will come as a result of that.

This is a really good listen if someone has the ten minutes to burn. It's so nice to have a coach that believes in the talent, process (he talks about development and not wins which is good) and speaks well of our players in the media instead of trashing them.

I knew Larry would be the perfect player for Luke! He's going to be making some big strides.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“The expectations, to me, aren’t going to be wins and losses, right now at least. The expectations are going to be the way we play,” said Walton. “It’s about having an edge when you play, it’s about competing every single time on offense and defense, it’s about playing the right way.”

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/7/25/12276000/la-lakers-news-record-shaq-podcast-luke-walton-interview

Good luck with that Luke. Media and fans will be P&Ming big time when the L's rack up this year. Maybe at the start of the season morale victories will be an acceptable replacement for actual victories. But that never lasts long in LA.
Stay strong Luke! I know you like to be liked. But just stick to your guns, even when things get rough.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

He's just taking the pressure out. He's winning more games than Byron, no doubt.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
“The expectations, to me, aren’t going to be wins and losses, right now at least. The expectations are going to be the way we play,” said Walton. “It’s about having an edge when you play, it’s about competing every single time on offense and defense, it’s about playing the right way.”

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/7/25/12276000/la-lakers-news-record-shaq-podcast-luke-walton-interview

Good luck with that Luke. Media and fans will be P&Ming big time when the L's rack up this year. Maybe at the start of the season morale victories will be an acceptable replacement for actual victories. But that never lasts long in LA.
Stay strong Luke! I know you like to be liked. But just stick to your guns, even when things get rough.

Actually, the wins will come when you don't worry about them. That was the point he drove home in the press conference. Team oriented, competitive basketball will automatically yield wins. It's just a matter of the team meshing and putting it together, which will always be a work in progress.

And he's a 100% right. Teams that focus on competing and sharing the ball instead of the outcome give themselves a fighters chance every single night. I expect the Lakers to prove a lot of people wrong next season.

And you know what? There will be little complaining here like there was with Byron. The losses were mainly on his rotations and coaching inadequacies. We also won't be seeing things like "Kobe shots to much" because there will be legitimate ball movement.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

In a sense, the less than spectacular free agency is a hidden blessing for Luke. If we got say DRoz/Hassan, it's playoffs or bust. No margin for error or growth.

In a sense, this is why I hope we don't trade for WB this season. Give Luke a chance to grow an ecosystem of his own first. Can't do that with someone like WB (who is an amazing player).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Actually, the wins will come when you don't worry about them. That was the point he drove home in the press conference. Team oriented, competitive basketball will automatically yield wins. It's just a matter of the team meshing and putting it together, which will always be a work in progress.

And he's a 100% right. Teams that focus on competing and sharing the ball instead of the outcome give themselves a fighters chance every single night. I expect the Lakers to prove a lot of people wrong next season.

And you know what? There will be little complaining here like there was with Byron. The losses were mainly on his rotations and coaching inadequacies. We also won't be seeing things like "Kobe shots to much" because there will be legitimate ball movement.

He's saying all the right things. Just has to stick to his guns no matter what pressure comes his way.

In terms of the inevitable P&Ming. I think it'll resemble MDAs tenure.
Beautiful offense, hideous defense.
Media and mad fans will complain Luke isn't pushing the young guys hard enough. The narrative will be some B.S. About how Luke and his staff are too laid back.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
In a sense, the less than spectacular free agency is a hidden blessing for Luke. If we got say DRoz/Hassan, it's playoffs or bust. No margin for error or growth.

In a sense, this is why I hope we don't trade for WB this season. Give Luke a chance to grow an ecosystem of his own first. Can't do that with someone like WB (who is an amazing player).

Send WB to San Antonio.

That's right John Ireland, you heard it hear first. Now go spout it out on ESPN and make this a thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
JeezyXVII wrote:
http://am570lasports.iheart.com/onair/la-today-with-bill-reiter-and-55470/luke-walton-brandon-ingram-has-a-14913763/

Pretty cool interview on 7-15-16. Tell us his thoughts on being the new coach in L.A. what advice Steve Kerr gave to him, why Mozgov was a key signing, and more.

Some of the stuff:
-Mozgov: they liked how he could pass, shoot a bit, post up. They liked his mobility. Liked his rim protection a lot. Luke pushed for him big time.
-Ingram: Luke gave some tempered praise, said he is extremely coachable and likable. Thinks he can be an all-star, but doesn't believe in comparisons.
-Russell: Said he was fantastic in summer league, he's been a real leader, he's been picking the coach's brains. He's come to the gym before the summer team practices and also returned at night time.
-Nance: Luke loves the little things that he does. Thinks he can be "special" with a jumper. "Incredible."
-Overall: wants to set the foundation and culture this year, thinks the wins will come as a result of that.

Luke is creating what all the long term successful teams have like San Antonio and Golden State and what Phil is trying to implement in NY with a disappointing Fisher and some injury prone but high character guys in Noah and Rose. That being said, I really don't think the Lakers FO is going to make any short term trades to undercut what they're building (Have faith Yinoma!) unless the season goes horribly wrong.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject:

http://www.podcastone.com/embed?progID=779&pid=1664908
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Looking forward to seeing Luke work his magic.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

He's saying all the right things. Just has to stick to his guns no matter what pressure comes his way.

Media and mad fans will complain Luke isn't pushing the young guys hard enough. The narrative will be some B.S. About how Luke and his staff are too laid back.

Bro, this was the crystal ball thing I talked about. It just seems like you aren't keeping in touch with the direction the team is headed in.

In Luke's first call to Larry, he said that without the defensive stop, there is no fastbreak bucket on the other end. Larry said he loved that.

Watching the SL games, it's clear that the priority will be defense, which is why they got cats like Ingram, Zubac, Auguste, Fall, etc. Like the Warriors defensive dynamic, length and versatility is the name of the game here. Deng and Mozgov change the dynamic on defense. Ingram changes the dynamic of the defense if he plays the guard position. Throw in Black and he can also change the defensive complexity of ballgames. I don't think defense will be an issue tbh.

The issue will be generating buckets offensively, but I think Russell, Clarkson and Randle will emerge. The key for them will be not trying to do too much like with Byron.

It will be fun watching Nance time those weakside blocks in Luke's defensive schemes. Also looking forward to Auguste (if he makes the team).
yohanone
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

Bro, this was the crystal ball thing I talked about. It just seems like you aren't keeping in touch with the direction the team is headed in.

In Luke's first call to Larry, he said that without the defensive stop, there is no fastbreak bucket on the other end. Larry said he loved that.

Watching the SL games, it's clear that the priority will be defense, which is why they got cats like Ingram, Zubac, Auguste, Fall, etc. Like the Warriors defensive dynamic, length and versatility is the name of the game here. Deng and Mozgov change the dynamic on defense. Ingram changes the dynamic of the defense if he plays the guard position. Throw in Black and he can also change the defensive complexity of ballgames. I don't think defense will be an issue tbh.

The issue will be generating buckets offensively, but I think Russell, Clarkson and Randle will emerge. The key for them will be not trying to do too much like with Byron.

It will be fun watching Nance time those weakside blocks in Luke's defensive schemes. Also looking forward to Auguste (if he makes the team).

I will be very happy if Mitch decides to put Zach in the D-League, looking forward to possibly getting a decent bench player.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

Luke Walton Believes D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle Could Be Team Leaders

Quote:
“In summer league I spent the majority of my time with the young guys here, and D’Angelo has been phenomenal as far as being vocal in practice, and doing what we ask him as a coaching staff, and coming in early and after practice and getting work in. So right now he’s shown that he’s capable of being a leader and that he’s working on becoming a leader.”

Walton also noted that Randle seems to be a natural leader, but he hasn’t been around him as much as Russell:

“I think Julius has a natural leadership ability about him, but I haven’t spent a ton of time with Julius yet so it’s tough to say. And then obviously we’re bringing in a few vets that have been around the game a long time so I would hope that at least one or two of them would step up into a leadership role.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/luke-walton-believes-dangelo-russell-julius-randle-could-be-team-leaders/2016/07/25/
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I got a question for LG.
What's more important winning games or developing the young guys?

If you averaged the MPG for DLO, Clarkson, Randle, and Nance last year. It equals 27 MPG.
What would you rather have this upcoming season? DLO, Clarkson, Randle, Nance, and Ingram average 32 MPG combined and we win 23 games. Or they average less than 30 MPG combined (like last year) and we win 30 games.

Just want to know what option LG prefers. Maybe Luke can do both. Play all our young guys a ton of minutes AND win 30 games. But I want to know what people would choose if they had to choose 1.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Whole-heartedly disagree. Again, I'm not using a crystal ball. I'm just trying to make the likeliest assumption possible. As close to the status quo as possible. Luke is bringing a dominant GS offense down from the Bay. Our 3 young starters all have an offense-first mentatlity. Ingram and Nance have defensive upside, but 1st and 2nd year players notoriously struggle defensively (league wide, throughout history).

But I'm not gonna go out of my way to go 1 by 1 and trash our young guys' defense. I like each of them too much.

Put your money (sig) where your mouth is. Lets bet our sigs on what the Lakers will score lower on in terms of league ranking. Team Offensive rating or Team Defensive Rating.

twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I got a question for LG.

If you averaged the MPG for DLO, Clarkson, Randle, and Nance last year. It equals 27 MPG.
What would you rather have this upcoming season? DLO, Clarkson, Randle, Nance, and Ingram average 32 MPG combined and we win 23 games. Or they average less than 30 MPG combined (like last year) and we win 30 games.

Just want to know what option LG prefers. Maybe Luke can do both. Play all our young guys a ton of minutes AND win 30 games. But I want to know what people would choose if they had to choose 1.

Maybe this needs another thread but i would say development is more important. We arent winning anything next year
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I got a question for LG.

Maybe this needs another thread but i would say development is more important. We arent winning anything next year

If guys are developing we are winning. We left 7-10 wins on the table last year imo. Without any improvement and better vets we win 24-27 games. With our young guys improving 42-50wins. #nowyouknow
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I got a question for LG.

First and foremost the Lakers need to do what it takes to win so that we can be attractive to free agents. IF that coincides with giving our young players big minutes then that's great. But if they are struggling, I don't think you should play them regardless when you have a vet option to get some of those minutes who might play better. Doing this not only gives our team a better chance to win but it also makes it an incentive for our young players to work harder because you shouldn't be guaranteed minutes when you're trying to prove yourself. You should be earning those minutes due to your play.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Can't believe that we have a real coach for the first time since Phil.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Look at the bad coaches we had in the 90's and the early part of the post 2010 championship.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Can't believe that we have a real coach for the first time since Phil.

To be fair, D'Antoni is a real coach. A very poor fit for the roster we had, but he was a legit pro coach that has had a real impact on how the game is played.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 164, 165, 166 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 165 of 818
Jump to: