THE Political Thread (All Political Discussion Here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 562, 563, 564 ... 886, 887, 888  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject:

You want democracy, this is what democracy looks like. If you are going to get upset and start ridiculing and calling people names when they have an opinion that differs from yours, maybe democracy isn't for you.

Clinton Cash Full documentary:
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
You want democracy, this is what democracy looks like. If you are going to get upset and start ridiculing and calling people names when they have an opinion that differs from yours, maybe democracy isn't for you.

I totally support the democratic process and the fact that everyone gets to participate.

However, there's nothing about the democratic process that says people have to sit back and watch morons, xenophobes, racists, bigots and misogynists go unchallenged by not calling them out on such BS when they make their run at gaining powering and ruining the progress the country has made over the last 100 years. OR pointing out the hypocrisy of people pretending they are so "progressive" when really all they are doing is posturing for attention while actually inhibiting progress, or worse yet, sacrificing the progress that has already been made out of selfishness.

Doing so is part of the process as well. If you can't understand that, then it's you who has the problem with understanding democracy.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm disappointed with Bernie's opening remarks. It's more about him than supporting Hillary.

They had to soothe the hurt feelings of the boo-birds first and make them feel important.

The problem is that they already feel self-important.

It's like when you offer a crying 4-year old a cookie if they'll stop crying.

And we wonder why Bernie voters are pissed maybe it's every HRC voter looking down their noses at them?

Wow, if we could turn the irony in that comment into a fuel source, the nation could be Green forever. :rolls eyes:
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I totally support the democratic process and the fact that everyone gets to participate.

However, there's nothing about the democratic process that says people have to sit back and watch morons, xenophobes, racists, bigots and misogynists go unchallenged by not calling them out on such BS when they make their run at gaining powering and ruining the progress the country has made over the last 100 years. OR pointing out the hypocrisy of people pretending they are so "progressive" when really all they are doing is posturing for attention while actually inhibiting progress, or worse yet, sacrificing the progress that has already been made out of selfishness.

Doing so is part of the process as well. If you can't understand that, then it's you who has the problem with understanding democracy.

Pretty much making my point. So anyone who disagrees with you does not understand the situation and does not understand democracy. Elitist much?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Great speeches, positive and uplifting.
Power in diversity

Michelle Obama "I live in a house built by slaves"... wow

Time to win this election, we need the Senate and the house too
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I thought that Booker and Michelle Obama absolutely killed it. Her grace is something to really behold. As for Booker, I'm really a fan.

Booker/Newsom 2024? (Or vice versa.)

I was hoping for Booker as VP this year.

Newsom is alright but he has his scandals.

If Trump can be a major party nominee with 3 wives, I think Newsom can get past whatever romantic misadventures are in his past haha.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I thought Warren's speech was kinda meh. Didn't have the passion and dynamics of Michelle. I don't recall anything she said.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I thought Warren's speech was kinda meh. Didn't have the passion and dynamics of Michelle. I don't recall anything she said.

It was a tamer Warren speech, but she did have to follow Michelle
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm disappointed with Bernie's opening remarks. It's more about him than supporting Hillary.

They had to soothe the hurt feelings of the boo-birds first and make them feel important.

And we wonder why Bernie voters are pissed maybe it's every HRC voter looking down their noses at them?

You know DMR was a Bernie voter, right? We were BOTH talking about the same people Sarah Silverman (another Bernie voter) was talking about when she said they were being ridiculous. Are they looking down their noses too?

I know DMR was a Bernie voter.

I just think this "ignore what made you vote for Bernie, HRC and her supporters know best" attitude is condescending. At least it is to me. Calling people crying 4 year olds isn't the best way of reaching out, even if some of these people are. You know they aren't going to vote for HRC, so why inflame them further? They'll either come around or they won't.

Taking their flags and whatnot is just bad press. Take the high road.

Definitely a stupid and inflammatory move that I would have thought the party would be above.

As for the first part, no one is saying to ignore what made you vote for Bernie. In fact people are saying exactly the opposite. If you truly care for what Bernie brought to the table, then do what you can to preserve it. If you really care about those values - which are based on the progress this country has already made - then you don't threaten to burn it all down because you're upset your candidate isn't going to win. You don't set the country BACK by going the "I'M taking my ball and going home" route - which is where the very apt "4 years-old" analogy CL made comes in. The attitude of the #NeverHilary crowd is the epitome of childish, cut off your nose to spite your face nonsense.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's a fair point. Of course, it's also fair to say that if you throw yourself on the floor kicking and screaming, the grownups are going to tend to look down at you.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That's a fair point. Of course, it's also fair to say that if you throw yourself on the floor kicking and screaming, the grownups are going to tend to look down at you.

Standing up for something you believe in is considered throwing yourself on the floor kicking and screaming? So the grown up thing to do is just to sell out and compromise your morals?

The Clinton Body Count: http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/BODIES.php
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Pretty much making my point. So anyone who disagrees with you does not understand the situation and does not understand democracy. Elitist much?

I'm not making your point at all.

It was you who took the "maybe democracy isn't for you" approach to people who you disagree with. I'm just putting out the counter argument to your accusation.

The democratic process is about everyone weighing in and having an opportunity cast their vote equally. I haven't said anything that counters that. I'm not advocating that people shouldn't be allowed to participate or that when the votes come in the process shouldn't be respected.

The democratic concept says we have to respect the results. But there is nothing about the democratic process that says someone has to respect the positions and views use to arrive at their vote. We have to respect others' right to vote, but in no way is anyone obligated to respect the way someone else votes, nor does democracy deny the option of expressing that disagreement with that vote - because that is also what democracy is.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Standing up for something you believe in is considered throwing yourself on the floor kicking and screaming? So the grown up thing to do is just to sell out and compromise your morals?

The Clinton Body Count: http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/POLITICS/BODIES.php

The grown up thing to do iso to admit defeat when you lose, and maybe care more about your principles in the mid terms when your minority but sizable coalition could carry some clout.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I'm not making your point at all.

It was you who took the "maybe democracy isn't for you" approach to people who you disagree with. I'm just putting out the counter argument to your accusation.

The democratic process is about everyone weighing in and having an opportunity cast their vote equally. I haven't said anything that counters that. I'm not advocating that people shouldn't be allowed to participate or that when the votes come in the process shouldn't be respected.

The democratic concept says we have to respect the results. But there is nothing about the democratic process that says someone has to respect the positions and views use to arrive at their vote. We have to respect others' right to vote, but in no way is anyone obligated to respect the way someone else votes, nor does democracy deny the option of expressing that disagreement with that vote - because that is also what democracy is.

I have respect for people who want to vote Hillary and for those who do not. From your posts though you seem to detest anyone who feels Jill Stein or another candidate is more representative of their position than Hillary. I never detested people voting against Hillary, only supported those who wish to vote the way they feel best represents themselves.

You just continue to go deeper down your elitist rabbit hole with your disdain for anyone not agreeing with you.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The grown up thing to do iso to admit defeat when you lose, and maybe care more about your principles in the mid terms when your minority but sizable coalition could carry some clout.

Hillary is too indebted to her big money donors. I disagree that the grown up thing to do is to blindly support her. The grown up thing to do is to evaluate the field and see who is most consistent with your beliefs. If that is Jill Stein rather than Hillary, it is not the grown up thing to do to vote for Hillary.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Exactly. They were looking to advance their candidate who has been a member of their party as opposed to the outsider who recently and conveniently jumped on board to take advantage of the parties reach.

For someone who claims to be a Bernie voter, you sure have a negative and opportunist viewpoint of the man and his journey. Maybe it is you who supported Bernie because it was the cool thing to do while living in LA's westside.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Hillary is too indebted to her big money donors. I disagree that the grown up thing to do is to blindly support her. The grown up thing to do is to evaluate the field and see who is most consistent with your beliefs. If that is Jill Stein rather than Hillary, it is not the grown up thing to do to vote for Hillary.

Actually, the grown up thing is to recognize nuanced differences between all and nothing. Fortunately, you live in California, so you can afford to waste a protest vote I suppose, but let's not pretend it's something it isnt.
senthus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Michelle Obama speech dam!!
senthus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Dont let anyone ever tell you this country isn't great, that somehow we need to make it great again, because this right now is the greatest country on earth- Flotus

Wow!!!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Wilt wrote:

It was a tamer Warren speech, but she did have to follow Michelle

Strong hint to me that there was a larger goal among the speakers to not resemble the RNC freakshow, especially after the castigation of the right's behavior by Hillary backers like Liz. Fine by me because she'll eventually go back to her other role of attack dog once away from the attempted civility of this convention (save for the booers).

Problem with youthful zeal of fighting the power is that they don't know what to do other than to boo and block. That's not just the more vocal Bernie peeps either. That's about the best I can do to cut them some slack. Same thing afflicts other protest campaigns with a large contingent of 20-somethings. They have a lot of zeal and passion and energy. Functionally, they have healthy bodies that allow them to walk for many blocks. You ain't gonna see too many white hairs going the distance with them even if they wanted to. They just lack the historical perspective and ability to think beyond their cause and maybe that's largely a function of not having to worry about the future of kids of their own. These younger protesters ARE someone's kids. In some cases, they don't even seem capable of doing things to actually make their demands come to fruition. They'd just rather yell and march. It's not all them, either, that's true. There are some older heads among the booers too. Their personal issues are probably a lot more permanent than any that a 21 yr old has.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/life-among-the-berned-214099
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
We're supposed to be mad at the Russians because the DNC was rigged?

This the sort of bombast I keep seeing in media headlines. The fact that none of the e-mails actually support it deters no one.

The emails showing they wanted to attack Bernie as much as possible doesn't support that?

All of the ideas they speculated about using were shot down within the same email chain. They never actually used any of the ideas to do anything. The worst you could say is they wanted to make Bernie look bad but they didn't follow it up by actually doing anything. So again, how did they rig anything? The voters voted. HRC got more votes and it had nothing to do with how the DNC staffers felt about it.

If you would provide the link to that, I'd greatly appreciate the effort.

Thanks.

Here's a good summary with links to specific emails. Link
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
ribeye wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:
We're supposed to be mad at the Russians because the DNC was rigged?

This the sort of bombast I keep seeing in media headlines. The fact that none of the e-mails actually support it deters no one.

The emails showing they wanted to attack Bernie as much as possible doesn't support that?

All of the ideas they speculated about using were shot down within the same email chain. They never actually used any of the ideas to do anything. The worst you could say is they wanted to make Bernie look bad but they didn't follow it up by actually doing anything. So again, how did they rig anything? The voters voted. HRC got more votes and it had nothing to do with how the DNC staffers felt about it.

If you would provide the link to that, I'd greatly appreciate the effort.

Thanks.

Here's a good summary with links to specific emails. Link

That's some good stuff, that I couldn't find, so a big thanks.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:

I honestly think those email leaks a day before the DNC could cost Clinton the election. I think a good amount of Bernie supporters feel so hurt and betrayed they will vote for third party or stay home. CNN had a poll today that said 64% of Bernie supporters will vote for Clinton. That was a lot higher a few weeks ago.

Last edited by 32 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject:

Well known conservative Bill Kristol's column on the the many "troubling connections" between Trump's campaign and the Russians: Link
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 562, 563, 564 ... 886, 887, 888  Next
Page 563 of 888
Jump to: