The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 638, 639, 640 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Best hands of any PF I've ever seen. Just happened to be soft and dumb as a rock.

He was so fundamentally sound. I don't see comparisons to any modern player. He was a very skilled, great passer, great shooter, great rebounder soft minded player. After the injury he was never the same again.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Prime Chris Webber vs. Prime Rasheed Wallace. Who'd you take?
I'd take Webber.
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
22 wrote:
You know what's one thing that's interesting that I forgot about?

The ball they use in international play is different. I was just watching the USA vs Argentina highlights and they mentioned derozan gets extra shots up after practice with the NBA ball just to get a feel for it again.

Idk if it makes any significant difference for our young guys but it's interesting

FYI:

Both balls (Spalding "29" & Molten GL7) are basically the same size but have different grain patterns etc.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/84284-basketball-official-size-weight/

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/2246/that-ball-is-the-same-size

Thanks pio2u!

Always knew it was the grain pattern. Remember when the NBA switched balls and everyone complained? Steve Nash said it made his hands bleed lol

Steve Nash's Lakers career made my eyes bleed.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
22 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
22 wrote:

The ball they use in international play is different. I was just watching the USA vs Argentina highlights and they mentioned derozan gets extra shots up after practice with the NBA ball just to get a feel for it again.

Idk if it makes any significant difference for our young guys but it's interesting

FYI:

Both balls (Spalding "29" & Molten GL7) are basically the same size but have different grain patterns etc.

Thanks pio2u!

Always knew it was the grain pattern. Remember when the NBA switched balls and everyone complained? Steve Nash said it made his hands bleed lol

Steve Nash's Lakers career made my eyes bleed.

that broken leg really destroyed him. I had never seen a HOF pg struggle to bring the ball up court against defensive pressure that consistently before
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I'd take Webber.

Same, I think people forget just how good Chris Webber was, I know he was known for choking and being a bit mentally weak, but when he was dialed in he was incredible. He was poised to be the best PF in the league, then Tim Duncan showed up.
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
I'd take Webber.

Same, I think people forget just how good Chris Webber was, I know he was known for choking and being a bit mentally weak, but when he was dialed in he was incredible. He was poised to be the best PF in the league, then Tim Duncan showed up.

In any case, KG was there
umanasibo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Webber was definitely the better all-around player and a triple threat whenever he had the ball. He also wasn't the knucklehead that Wallace was throughout his career. But man, when Wallace was right, that jumper of his was straight up nasty.
Afrosho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Best hands of any PF I've ever seen. Just happened to be soft and dumb as a rock.

Webber wasn't dumb at all
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
22 wrote:

FYI:

Thanks pio2u!

I'm convinced the ball change is why the '06-'07 Lakers collapsed, as well as injuries, after their 26-13 start. Luke was leading the league in 3FG% but after the ball switch he fell off... then he got injured and LO got injured and it all went downhill
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

True that. You know the funny thing? For nearly his entire Minnesota Timberwolves career, the same knock was made about KG. I remember the TNT crew constantly harping on why he wouldn't dominate the ball in the block down the stretch or how he doesn't "take over". Somehow getting traded to Boston and barking at everyone completely changed the narrative for KG.

So true, great point.

A lot of times the media narrative impacts the public perception. I think both Jim Buss and D'Angelo Russell are seeing the reaction when the media turns on you. You have to be mentally strong to fight through it.

As far as Jim, I don't put all the failure on him but it is time to hire someone to do the Head of Basketball Ops job and let both Jim and Jeanie concentrate on things like charity, the color of the balloons, etc.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject:

Perception comes with winning.

What if Webber was drafted by the Spurs and Duncan was sent around the Warriors, Wizards, Kings and 76ers.

How different would the perceptions be..
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
22 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
22 wrote:

FYI:

Thanks pio2u!

I'm convinced the ball change is why the '06-'07 Lakers collapsed, as well as injuries, after their 26-13 start. Luke was leading the league in 3FG% but after the ball switch he fell off... then he got injured and LO got injured and it all went downhill

I do remember like being on a hot shooting streak, but it's all a blur now lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
tox wrote:
22 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
22 wrote:

FYI:

Thanks pio2u!

I do remember like being on a hot shooting streak, but it's all a blur now lol

I used to devour the OC Register for any NBA-related news. Seeing Luke's name as #1, bolded since he's an LA player, on the 3FG% was always something that stood out to me. I think he was 34-70 at the time, if memory serves me right
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:50 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

What if Webber was drafted by the Spurs and Duncan was sent around the Warriors, Wizards, Kings and 76ers.

Imagine if KG spent his whole career with Pop and the Spurs and TD had to play with various coaches in Minny in his prime.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject:

Afrosho wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

Webber wasn't dumb at all

Webber was a smart high IQ player, excellent passer for the position. The thing with him was the lack of cold blood to keep his Mind working under pressure, he chocked under pressure more than once, still a brilliant player. Those Sacto Queens from the early 2000's used to play a basketball of the highest level, just like with Jazz in Jordan's era, they were heavy favorites if not for Shaq and Kobe.

Last edited by nash on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject:

Webber was great. Fantastic even. His teammates weren't at his level. I mean, you had Divac, Christie, Peja and Bibby as his co-starters with Bobby Jackson Pollard and Turkoglu as the main bench guys. Those guys are all solid... but none of them were a superstar like Webber. He was going against the Laker team that HOFers in Kobe and Shaq.

Don't diss Webber. Pre-injury, he was a monster.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Duncan would have succeeded anywhere (and would have likely stayed with the first team that got him), but Webber would have definitely benefited from being a Spur.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
MJST wrote:

Duncan would have succeeded anywhere (and would have likely stayed with the first team that got him), but Webber would have definitely benefited from being a Spur.

yeah.. duncan was always going to be good. and you'd have to be a fool to trade him or let him walk.

there wasn't a ton in that draft year anyway.. 3 good players.. Chauncey Billups and McGrady were the others.. and TD was light years beyond them.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

I'll take prime Chris Webber. He actually achieved his potential until injuries derailed him. Better scorer, rebounder, and passer. Webber's big flaw was that he shied away from the ball and taking it upon himself in the clutch because the timeout from his Michigan days always haunted him.

Rasheed is similar to Odom in that he is an underachiever relative to his talent. He should've been a better rebounder than he was and could've had like 2 more rings if he had made more of an effort to take over in crucial moments/series (2000 WCFs, 2005 Finals). He fell in love with his 3-ball and drifted away from the post where he was nearly unstoppable. Sheed's defense was elite and somewhat underrated in those defensively historic Pistons squads.

From a pure talent stand-point Sheed should've been right there with Webber but underachieved.

The 2000's Era is really the Golden Era of Power Forwards: Duncan, KG, Dirk, Webber, Pau, Amare, Jermaine O'Neal, Rasheed, Chris Bosh, old Malone, Elton Brand, Antawn Jamison. Multiple guys that could throw up 20 & 10 every night
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Probably not much in Duncan's case.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Luke Walton Believes D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle Could Be Team Leaders

Quote:
“In summer league I spent the majority of my time with the young guys here, and D’Angelo has been phenomenal as far as being vocal in practice, and doing what we ask him as a coaching staff, and coming in early and after practice and getting work in. So right now he’s shown that he’s capable of being a leader and that he’s working on becoming a leader.”

Walton also noted that Randle seems to be a natural leader, but he hasn’t been around him as much as Russell:

“I think Julius has a natural leadership ability about him, but I haven’t spent a ton of time with Julius yet so it’s tough to say. And then obviously we’re bringing in a few vets that have been around the game a long time so I would hope that at least one or two of them would step up into a leadership role.”

http://www.lakersnation.com/luke-walton-believes-dangelo-russell-julius-randle-could-be-team-leaders/2016/07/25/

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject:

Yup. I always saw Jules as a vocal leader for this team. JC/Nance are a bit on the quiet side, and so is Ingram.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject:

We honestly have a great group of guys. Russell and Randle seem like the alpha dog players, JC, Ingram, Larry, Brown, and Tarik are all pretty well grounded and seem to lead by example/work hard, Zubac is a funny/relateable player you can't help but love, and Deng and Mozgov have both been solid presences in locker rooms for years in the NBA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
We honestly have a great group of guys. Russell and Randle seem like the alpha dog players, JC, Ingram, Larry, Brown, and Tarik are all pretty well grounded and seem to lead by example/work hard, Zubac is a funny/relateable player you can't help but love, and Deng and Mozgov have both been solid presences in locker rooms for years in the NBA.

Yes, it will be nice to give them a couple of years to see what will come of it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

And with Luke and the staff he's put together...this should be a tight knit and competitive group
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 638, 639, 640 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 639 of 1536
Jump to: