OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 288, 289, 290  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
https://twitter.com/JacobRude/status/755424759395995649

WE CAN NEVER TRADE HIM EVER NOT NEVER EVER

How has he not evolved into Crobat yet? Dayum.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject:

Didn't he say, that he wanted to be the next Wilt Chamberlain? But instead of sleeping with 50 thousand woman over the course of his lifetime, he wanted to instead sleep with one woman(his girlfriend) 50 thousand times for the rest of their lives?

I guess he's making good on that promise

For the stat heads.. 50 thousand times would mean that if they did it twice a day, 365 days a year, they'd be going at it for 68 years, or till Zubac is 87.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Didn't he say, that he wanted to be the next Wilt Chamberlain? But instead of sleeping with 50 thousand woman over the course of his lifetime, he wanted to instead sleep with one woman(his girlfriend) 50 thousand times for the rest of their lives?

I guess he's making good on that promise

For the stat heads.. 50 thousand times would mean that if they did it twice a day, 365 days a year, they'd be going at it for 68 years, or till Zubac is 87.

So it's better start doing it three times a day ... it brings me some good memories from my 18s
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject:

Ivica Zubac Summer League Breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaw4zPuAUxLOzHEcVNzsX4A

His 1.20 PPP was second to only Jakob Poeltl I believe. Zubac is definitely a lottery caliber player. I expect nothing but greatness from him in a few seasons. I'm happy there's a coaching staff that can fulfill that.

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject:

Zubac Shakur is the best nickname I've seen yet.

Zublock Shakur maybe.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Ivica Zubac Summer League Breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaw4zPuAUxLOzHEcVNzsX4A

His 1.20 PPP was second to only Jakob Poeltl I believe. Zubac is definitely a lottery caliber player. I expect nothing but greatness from him in a few seasons. I'm happy there's a coaching staff that can fulfill that.

Strengths:
Shot blocking & paint protection
Shooting facing the rim
Shooting back to the basket
Free throwing
Rebounding

Weaknesses:
Body strength
Lateral mobility (like the average big)
Experience/age

Additional factor:
Average foot speed

Unknown:
Heart (seems to be driven to be gvery good /great)

Based on the above, I believe he has and still is being greatly underrated. I realize his tests have been against Euros and Summer Leaguers but when he does, he blocks their shots and scores inside. When he realizes how unstoppable he is, he's got the potential for greatness. His ability to consistently use 2 or more of those skills this year will make him a valuable asset /piece that "realistic" fans and ESPN haven't and refuse to consider/acknowledge.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

If someone gave me a choice of watching any of our young guys in 5 or 10 NBA games right now...I'd pick Zubac. Very curious to see how ready he is. He looked great in summer league. If he was a Top 5 pick and we were somewhat forced to give him more touches as a result this summer, his numbers would have been huge. They were impressive already, but he was a man among boys even though he's still a manchild himself. Kid is going to be fun to watch this year.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Probably still growing too
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
If someone gave me a choice of watching any of our young guys in 5 or 10 NBA games right now...I'd pick Zubac. Very curious to see how ready he is. He looked great in summer league. If he was a Top 5 pick and we were somewhat forced to give him more touches as a result this summer, his numbers would have been huge. They were impressive already, but he was a man among boys even though he's still a manchild himself. Kid is going to be fun to watch this year.

No doubt. With moz he will have a guy he can beat out in 2 years IMO as the starter.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Zubac vs okafor i think he will be a forced defensively.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I don't want to over react but I feel the same way. He seems unnaturally fundamentally sound for his age and he has a great motor on both ends. The thing I probably liked seeing the most was that he wasn't try to play on the perimeter. He was focused on controlling the paint which is awesome because even seven footers these days want to play on the perimeter.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

I'm really rooting for this kid. What a steal @ #32. The skill set he already has is upper tier for a big man, and he still looks to only be scratching the surface of his potential. I had no idea that he would be a rim protector too. I feel like we got two top 10 picks. I'm glad he isn't being forced into a situation where there is a lot of pressure on him. Mozgov should be a good practice partner for him to go up against, and learn the finer details of the game.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I'm really rooting for this kid. What a steal @ #32. The skill set he already has is upper tier for a big man, and he still looks to only be scratching the surface of his potential. I had no idea that he would be a rim protector too. I feel like we got two top 10 picks. I'm glad he isn't being forced into a situation where there is a lot of pressure on him. Mozgov should be a good practice partner for him to go up against, and learn the finer details of the game.

Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise during SL. Defense was the biggest criticism of his game, but he showed what he's capable of. I liked the fact that he didn't just protect the rim with blocks. He was solid at verticality too.
Laker Junkie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject:

His discipline in blocking shots reminds me of a 22 year old Tim Duncan. Let's see how he does once the reg season starts and if he can continue.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

No doubt. With moz he will have a guy he can beat out in 2 years IMO as the starter.

2years? if he plays anything close to summer league for an extended stretch in nba season, he might be a starter next year
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Laker Junkie wrote:
His discipline in blocking shots reminds me of a 22 year old Tim Duncan. Let's see how he does once the reg season starts and if he can continue.

Maybe not initially, but I'm predicting he continues his outstanding skill of blocking shots.. He has the timing down already, that's innate, and of course the length . It'll be displayed much more as he gains experience. He is the definition of a "steal".
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

2years? if he plays anything close to summer league for an extended stretch in nba season, he might be a starter next year

Lol. It's one thing to play well in SPL. It's another to beat out long time NBA vets. I have high hopes for zubac but let's be a little realistic.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Agreed.

The most impressive is that he had great numbers all across the board. Blocks, rebounds, soft touch, mid range shot, defense. He is looking like a complete package.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Yeah, that was a pleasant surprise during SL. Defense was the biggest criticism of his game, but he showed what he's capable of. I liked the fact that he didn't just protect the rim with blocks. He was solid at verticality too.

He should improve his pick'n'roll defense, but it's better than advised and overall he has solid defensive fundamentals. I was impressed with his maturity for such a young big man.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Judah wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

He should improve his pick'n'roll defense, but it's better than advised and overall he has solid defensive fundamentals. I was impressed with his maturity for such a young big man.
During the Lakers best years Shaq was a horrible pick and roll defender. He would let guys blow by and I'll never forget Phil yelling at Horry during a timeout for not covering a spot when it was clear Shaq was the guy who stood still. When Horry yelled back and pointed at his area of responsibility, Phil just put his head down.

If/when Zubac becomes consistent at doing the things he's good at, the world will take notice. Imo, when Luke turns him loose, it could be along the lines of Mike Trout's impact on the Angels. He's not supposed to be this good. Media know it alls and average joes are going to be scratching their heads because they never saw this coming. People praise Ingram and hope his body type doesn't hold him back. Zubac displayed exceptional skills and people keep saying he's a project, sign Cousins in 2 years. In 2 years, my guess is they won't want/need Cousins anymore than Memphis, Minnesota, Miami, or other teams that are set at center.

Last, imagine the difference between a quality young center and Hibbert. Bench Hibbert. In comes Zuibac, shot blocker, rebounder, inside/outside threat. Wake up LG. You have a difference maker.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject:

I think Zub is in a perfect situation. Has a center in front of him who may be better than him now and probably for at least 2 years. However, is going to be a good mentor/practice mate.

I can see Zub being a starter-level player in about 2 seasons, perhaps by 2018. Maybe he gets some minutes at the fringes of the rotation this year; next year he is the backup big man, and then the year after, possible starter.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think Zub is in a perfect situation. Has a center in front of him who may be better than him now and probably for at least 2 years. However, is going to be a good mentor/practice mate.

I can see Zub being a starter-level player in about 2 seasons, perhaps by 2018. Maybe he gets some minutes at the fringes of the rotation this year; next year he is the backup big man, and then the year after, possible starter.

Yep there will be plenty of opportunity and room for growth. Let's hope he makes the most of it.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

or....he takes the first chance he gets this season and surprises everyone
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject:

Agramer wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

or....he takes the first chance he gets this season and surprises everyone

Sure. Which is why I brought up the Bynum experience. He may actually be more in between Bynum's season 1 and 2 at this point already, but no need to rush him.

With Moz in front of him, and likely Black too, he can get his body right (remember he came off of a knee injury earlier this year) and continue progressing.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

He's way more seasoned than Bynum was coming into the league. Bynum had to sort out his kinks initially but did well after that. I think it was clear Bynum needed 1-2 seasons to come along. Zubac has international and FIBA experience. He's played against some of the best talent and did well in the SL with less than 1 practice under his belt. His last SL game against the Jazz was noteworthy because he dominated guys a full 3-4 years on him, while also nearly setting the SL block record, which Bazemore currently holds. Jesse was also very surprised at how conditioned he was. His body is ready for the NBA grind, but they don't need to rush him because he'll be really good anyways.

It's not a matter of whether Zubac is NBA ready or not. He played like a top 10 pick in the summer league (see video breakdown on his PPP). Luke has stated he expects Zubac to contribute immediately, but also wants to give Black his "fair shot", so it will be a juggling act between his promise to black and how much Zubac should be playing. Black deserves his fair shot after what Byron did to him, but don't think for a second that Zubac won't steal his minutes if he disappoints.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 288, 289, 290  Next
Page 52 of 290
Jump to: