How far is Randle from being as good as prime Odom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
I don't see that happening unfortunately. LO had smarts JR just doesn't.

I think its still possible though for Randle to equal and surpass Odom in the ppg department.

Wow. LO had smarts and Randle doesn't? Seems to me when Odom was playing , he got ripped by LG for being Odumb and underservedly so.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject:

Odom was not a very smart high IQ player.
The difference is skill, athleticism and style of play.

Randle is a brute type, bully type baller. Likes to get into the basket area and slash. Has passing skill, but is shoot first mindset. Not much of a defensive player.

Lamar was a passive player, a pass first guy. He had D'LOs mind set. Pass, wait for the offense to run. He had a point guard's mindset, a pass first point guards. Very different stye of play. Then on D he was one of the best defenders in the game, when he put his mind to it, like in the Team USA interenational level, or when the Lakers were in the playoffs.

To me Lamar had a superstar talent and skill level and just breezed through the league underachievng and still wind up being a very good 3rd option/3rd best player on a ring team. To me that was Lamar's floor, because he didn't really try all that much. Randle's ceiling is that. To me that's the main difference.

You want Lamar Odom, you look at Ben Simmons. Ben Simmons is what Lamar should have been, and had the skill level for at the same age. The fear with Ben is also similar to LO, but I think Ben will wind up a much better player than LO. Randle's best case scenario is that he ends up a 18/10 banger/physical forward. A more athletic ZBo or Carlos Boozer. They may want to make him a stretch 4, but personally I think he'll be lost in that role.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:

I think its still possible though for Randle to equal and surpass Odom in the ppg department.

Wow. LO had smarts and Randle doesn't? Seems to me when Odom was playing , he got ripped by LG for being Odumb and underservedly so.

Randle knows he's stronger and faster than players at his position but so far he hasn't taken the steps to temper himself and regulate his approach. LO had his reckless episodes as well but his feel for the game even at a younger age was much more advanced.

Its far from hopeless but I'm not placing a bet on Julius putting it all together
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Odom was not a very smart high IQ player.
The difference is skill, athleticism and style of play.

Randle is a brute type, bully type baller. Likes to get into the basket area and slash. Has passing skill, but is shoot first mindset. Not much of a defensive player.

Lamar was a passive player, a pass first guy. He had D'LOs mind set. Pass, wait for the offense to run. He had a point guard's mindset, a pass first point guards. Very different stye of play. Then on D he was one of the best defenders in the game, when he put his mind to it, like in the Team USA interenational level, or when the Lakers were in the playoffs.

To me Lamar had a superstar talent and skill level and just breezed through the league underachievng and still wind up being a very good 3rd option/3rd best player on a ring team. To me that was Lamar's floor, because he didn't really try all that much. Randle's ceiling is that. To me that's the main difference.

You want Lamar Odom, you look at Ben Simmons. Ben Simmons is what Lamar should have been, and had the skill level for at the same age. The fear with Ben is also similar to LO, but I think Ben will wind up a much better player than LO. Randle's best case scenario is that he ends up a 18/10 banger/physical forward. A more athletic ZBo or Carlos Boozer. They may want to make him a stretch 4, but personally I think he'll be lost in that role.

How does Beasley compare to Odom, talent-wise?

In their primes, who was the better player between Odom and Boozer?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

People would not be making this comparison if Randle was righthanded.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Or if he didn't play for the Lakers.

Very different players.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Or if he didn't play for the Lakers.

Very different players.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
KBH wrote:
focus wrote:
LO may not have been mentally aggressive as we'd wished, but I thought he played the game with a great basketball IQ in the pau years. The little plays guys, right pass, tap offensive rebound to someone, d'ing up on a little guy, passing to the cutter. Key plays.

Randle I worry about though I like the guy and his aggression, positive attitude a lot. But I don't get the natural instinct for the game feel from him, like you do with Ingram and DLo. Clarkson is less than those guys in that way as well. And LO defensively was night and day with Randle. So I can't put him in the LO class or even style at all, especially considering LO's versatility everywhere, on defense too. You could pretty much plug Lamar on any team and he could contribute nicely.

I have a lot of hope for Randle's development though. And he will have a lot more consistency in his career, along with overall maturity perhaps. Hope he just keeps working which they all say, but working intelligently and thoughtfully on his game, and on D for sure.

Yep. Remember when LO was a valuable contributor for the 2010 USA team that won the World Championship? People harping on his mental lapses and weaknesses are either choosing to do that or have forgotten the unique talent he was. If Randle can have that type of impact for us, we'll be in excellent shape.

True. Impact is the better word...it's possible for Randle to have a similar impact without actually having to be better than Odom. I honestly don't think he will ever be better than Odom, except for one category: leadership mentality. and that alone can bring along the desired impact. I wouldn't expect randle to be the rebounder and versatile talent Odom was. But he can still rebound very well, and in this new NBA, he can use his teammates to cover up his weaknesses like jumpshots and stuff...this is what Lebron does. This was less possible 15 years ago.

And just to dig at Lebron and Duncan a little more...Back in the 04 Olympics, I believe, Larry Brown called LO his best player (and not Duncan or lebron or anyone else). And it was mostly because of his rebounding I think. That's how bad Duncan was, btw...the best rebounder on the team was more valuable to the coach than supposedly the mvp of the nba. i think carmelo played better than duncan also.

Didn't LO have like 4 games in a row with 20 rebounds or something maybe when Pau was hurt? Lamar just seemed to do the right things on the court once he matured some.

Actually wouldn't be surprised if Julius has 20 rebound games couple times a season. His motor is special. Just hope he can use that motor to improve defensive fundamentals, and his shot fundamentals (which sounds like is going well)

[reference to poster deleted by CL] if people just ignore scoring for a second, none of that reputation LO had regarding being "inconsistent" would take place. He was always inconsistent with scoring because he was a team guy mentally. His mind is always looking to fill in the missing piece. He consistently filled in the gaps on the team very successfully, but statistically it was always a different combination categories. so people just thought here's this big star who doesn't consistently score 20 a game. This, again, is the deficiency with making conclusions based on these numbers.

And Odom wasn't a low IQ player (someone already addressed this here, sorry for not quoting it). At least not for basketball. He's absent minded sometimes and will do something stupid, but most of the time he was a smart player. He might also be low IQ in real life, but definitely not on the court. Kidd, who was considered a very high IQ player...before he was famous, he was notorious for being really quite a dumb guy (i was there). It seems like Odom's inconsistent scoring has undeservedly colored his reputation.
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
How does Beasley compare to Odom, talent-wise?

In their primes, who was the better player between Odom and Boozer?

Tough call. I'd take Prime Odom over Prime Boozer.

Michael Beasley pales against the both of them.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject:

[Deleted by CL]
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject:

[Deleted by CL]
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

[Deleted by CL]
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Let's please stop talking about posters (past or present) and stick to the topic. Thanks.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I disagree. Even Kobe made the comparison.. Randle was just so limited by having not on court guidance last year.. He's got great passing potential, raw, but it's there. The ball handling is already great imo - top of the league for a PF according to Dirk.. Those two skills were what made L.O. unique offensively.Lo will be a better finisher , Randle looks very shaky there. Defense of course - very good vs league worst. ok I'm going off on the kid.
I don't mind the comparison though.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject:

I just don't see the Odom comparison to Randle. Randle won't be a support guy or 6th man like Odom was (in addition to not having a game like Odom's).

He's going to be a starting caliber PF in the mold of Elton Brand or ZBo. I think he's got a couple all-star games in his future also. He's going to get better with his shot, i think he's got the motivational type personality to work on it.

If were lucky the Lakers will be a three headed monster (Russell, Ingram and Randle). This is barring some major trade involving one of the three (or two) later.

If anyone has the potential to be sort of like Odom i think its Ingram (i hope he's better than Odom though).
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I disagree. Even Kobe made the comparison.. Randle was just so limited by having not on court guidance last year.. He's got great passing potential, raw, but it's there. The ball handling is already great imo - top of the league for a PF according to Dirk.. Those two skills were what made L.O. unique offensively.Lo will be a better finisher , Randle looks very shaky there. Defense of course - very good vs league worst. ok I'm going off on the kid.

What Kobe said was that Julius was Lamar Odom is Zach Randolph's body.

I think people are short selling Julius' court vision and passing. One of the first things that stood out to me about Julius during his first summer league was his court vision.

Sometimes I read comments about Julius and I think a lot of people didn't actually watch him very much throughout the entire season. A lot of the things people are saying he can't do or can't improve on are things he did during his best games of the season. Some people just aren't willing to give Julius time, even though most knew he'd be a project.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject:

Truck Turner wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

What Kobe said was that Julius was Lamar Odom is Zach Randolph's body.

I think people are short selling Julius' court vision and passing. One of the first things that stood out to me about Julius during his first summer league was his court vision.

Sometimes I read comments about Julius and I think a lot of people didn't actually watch him very much throughout the entire season. A lot of the things people are saying he can't do or can't improve on are things he did during his best games of the season. Some people just aren't willing to give Julius time, even though most knew he'd be a project.

I think some people have watched him but the negative plays or mistakes Randle made override the potential he showed in other parts of his game. It's to a point where the negatives paint their whole picture of Randle instead of dissecting his game on a play by play basis and looking at what he can possibly do in the future if he excels in those areas. I don't mind the negative critiques on Randle but don't make it blind you to his positives and potential.
Gomur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I think some people have watched him but the negative plays or mistakes Randle made override the potential he showed in other parts of his game. It's to a point where the negatives paint their whole picture of Randle instead of dissecting his game on a play by play basis and looking at what he can possibly do in the future if he excels in those areas. I don't mind the negative critiques on Randle but don't make it blind you to his positives and potential.

Well said.

The kid is about to enter his SECOND full season after averaging a double double in essentially his rookie year. And this year he will actually have a system to operate under. No offense to Byron but the best thing he did for the youngsters was allow Brandon Ingram to join their ranks.
ratra_1211
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

No offense to Byron but the best thing he did for the youngsters was allow Brandon Ingram to join their ranks.

i see what you did there

cant say this enough but, cant wait for the season to start so that we can build actual criticism on how they play proper bball (unlike the last two seasons )
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Some of these posts are ridiculous. Randle just played his rookie season with a repaired tibia. For a 21yo kid who took a year off, he's well on his way to becoming a special player. How some of you write him off, it's disturbing. I think LO and Randle are incomparable in styles because both have two very different body types. In my opinion, Randle has a higher ceiling if he can become a threat from 3(and the 3 spot).
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:35 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I'd say a combo of that and the fact that he's a good ballhandler for a big
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject:

Kobe made the comparison. I doubt it was lip service either, as Kobe is not big on those.

I will take his opinion of a HoF basketball genius who played with both of them over all the armchairs GMs on the internet.
Darth Los Angeles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject:

ZenMaster4President wrote:
Kobe made the comparison. I doubt it was lip service either, as Kobe is not big on those.

I will take his opinion of a HoF basketball genius who played with both of them over all the armchairs GMs on the internet.

This logic always cracks me up....
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:

This. BTW Do you people remember this?

Lamar Odom Dribbles Inbounds!

I recalled almost every Sunday were plentiful of showing us LO smarts!
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

Actually Randle should build a mold in the form of the Mailman, if he bulks up and uses that mid range force to the basket then we can have a very difficult to defend power forward that could easily avg 19pts and 10rebs a game!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10
Jump to: