Lakers picked to finish last in West by ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Long term the team still has holes and we still need a sure fire 1st option. That could come through the draft (although not likely as we have saw it takes time to develop draft picks) or through trade. But like I said, we are picked to finish last for a reason. The team still needs more top end talent.

With the way Free Agents has been looking over us and with us likely winning less than 30 games again, I would say we NEED another top 3 draft pick

How many lottery picks do you want? You have to cultivate and let them grow. I think the utility of any top 3 pick is that he would be traded.

Free Agency has pretty much without a doubt proven that winning close to 35 games would be just as beneficial as keeping our top 3 pick. I only say *just as beneficial* because we could package that pick and trade the prospect for a good player. Keeping the pick and developing that young player, I think we're past doing that again.

I'd pretty much rather win close to 35 games and have FA interest... !
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Is anyone else worried about JC and Russell's perimeter defense? That's a 10 game difference if they can play decent defense.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject:

There arfe a lot of x-factors when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm expecting some teams to throw in the towel as well as the Thunder potentially even trading Westbrook, I also think the Mavs are overrated and I'm not too big on the projected starting lineup the Suns will be putting out. The are trying to get rid of Gay so I think they're a prime candidate.

I'm just looking for improvement and the potential for even more in the future this season.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
There arfe a lot of x-factors when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm expecting some teams to throw in the towel as well as the Thunder potentially even trading Westbrook, I also think the Mavs are overrated and I'm not too big on the projected starting lineup the Suns will be putting out. The are trying to get rid of Gay so I think they're a prime candidate.

I'm just looking for improvement and the potential for even more in the future this season.

I don't know because Westbrook has a chip on his shoulder and he will drag that team to playoffs by himself.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
It doesn't matter how many games we win, we just need to get real offensive and defensive systems installed and get our young players acclimated to it. I have the feeling we will win less at the beginning of the season and then win at a decent clip the last third of the season, if health allows it. What other players or teams do isn't important, it is all about how the Lakers develop.

That is how I see it panning out as well VLF.

I've been thinking along the same lines. This team will look a bit crappy on the surface at first, new system, learning fundamentals as Luke alluded to, but come March/April they're going to be competitive. Competitive enough to surprise any playoff-bound team looking for an easy win. I just hope people can be patient with the process when this team looks like it learned nothing in late November.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ESPN has made a habit of predicting more wins than we usually end with, IIRC. Wasn't it 25 or 26 last season?

Yup. And 30 the year before that when they won 21. And low 30's in 2014 when they won 20 something. And 60 wins in 2013 when they won 45. And each and every time people were accusing them of purposely low balling the Lakers.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

So we get to keep our pick. Both of them actually!
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It doesn't matter how many games we win, we just need to get real offensive and defensive systems installed and get our young players acclimated to it. I have the feeling we will win less at the beginning of the season and then win at a decent clip the last third of the season, if health allows it. What other players or teams do isn't important, it is all about how the Lakers develop.

Agreed. That would be an ideal trajectory. Actually see some progress for a change, after these last three years with MDA/Byron.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
People saying we already have 8-9 young players, we dont need another draft pick are way off IMO. If we are finishing last again, we clearly need all the additional assets we can get (along with time)

Plus, the NBA just passed a new rule that you can trade some of your younger players if you think you have too many.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Long term the team still has holes and we still need a sure fire 1st option. That could come through the draft (although not likely as we have saw it takes time to develop draft picks) or through trade. But like I said, we are picked to finish last for a reason. The team still needs more top end talent.

With the way Free Agents has been looking over us and with us likely winning less than 30 games again, I would say we NEED another top 3 draft pick

How many lottery picks do you want? You have to cultivate and let them grow. I think the utility of any top 3 pick is that he would be traded.

You missed where I said "or through trade"?
staticaa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject:

8th seed. D'angelo goes crazy this season. Don't debate me fam.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Free Agency has pretty much without a doubt proven that winning close to 35 games would be just as beneficial as keeping our top 3 pick. I only say *just as beneficial* because we could package that pick and trade the prospect for a good player. Keeping the pick and developing that young player, I think we're past doing that again.

The question is. To a guy like Westbrook. Does he care about the difference between a 25 win team and a 35 win team.

I imagine, if he leaves OKC he'll do it for a team that made the playoffs without him. That way he can be the guy who carries the team to the promise land.
As opposed to just carrying a non playoff team (without him) to the postseason.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

The question is. To a guy like Westbrook. Does he care about the difference between a 25 win team and a 35 win team.

I imagine, if he leaves OKC he'll do it for a team that made the playoffs without him. That way he can be the guy who carries the team to the promise land.

Us being the LA Lakers, makes us one of the only teams that could make him defy that logic. Because we could recruit another FA if he did come. So with that in play, I think he would care about that 10 win difference, probably.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ESPN has made a habit of predicting more wins than we usually end with, IIRC. Wasn't it 25 or 26 last season?

Yup. And 30 the year before that when they won 21. And low 30's in 2014 when they won 20 something. And 60 wins in 2013 when they won 45. And each and every time people were accusing them of purposely low balling the Lakers.

I've found last two seasons that most of us have a tough time dealing with the reality of this franchise since CP3 veto overestimating the number of wins and the quality of players. A team (roster and coaching staff) is as good as the amount of wins it produces.

I hope our young core will be able to develop quickly and that the new coach will be able to introduce with success both a defensive and an offensive system, but I try to keep in mind that the bar is raised at the 17 win mark.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
Is anyone else worried about JC and Russell's perimeter defense? That's a 10 game difference if they can play decent defense.

More concerned about JC's than D'LO's. What really has me worried though is that not a single guard of ours is a good defender.

JC | Lou
D'LO | Calderon | Huertes

I mean, other guards are going to be eating us alive and putting pressure on Mozgov/Black/Randle/Deng/Nance/Zubac.

That was the big reason why I really thought our FA deserves a terrible grade. Trading Lou and singing a guy like Lee with JC off the bench would have made us significantly better.

So yes that is a concern and why I can't really argue too much about finishing last in the west. Do true defensive guards and no true defensive ACE to support Luke/run the D.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

More concerned about JC's than D'LO's. What really has me worried though is that not a single guard of ours is a good defender.

JC | Lou

I mean, other guards are going to be eating us alive and putting pressure on Mozgov/Black/Randle/Deng/Nance/Zubac.

That was the big reason why I really thought our FA deserves a terrible grade. Trading Lou and singing a guy like Lee with JC off the bench would have made us significantly better.

So yes that is a concern and why I can't really argue too much about finishing last in the west. Do true defensive guards and no true defensive ACE to support Luke/run the D.

The thing is the Lakers never intended to trade Lou this off-season anyways. It's more for next off-season when we try and clear cap.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
kikanga wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Us being the LA Lakers, makes us one of the only teams that could make him defy that logic. Because we could recruit another FA if he did come. So with that in play, I think he would care about that 10 win difference, probably.

I would ask for a meeting with WB under the pretenses that the Lakers were interested in gauging whether he'd extend right away (and we likely know the answer already). Then, I'd tell him that if he joins us in 2017, he'd have either: 1) the nice young core to lead; or 2) we could trade some of that young core for a vet star to add to WB.

Coming now would mean we may not have much of scenario #1 and 2 b/c of the assets it would take to trade for him in the first place.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Just looked at last year's records in the West. Denver won 33 games..... Minny won 29 games with less depth than we have this year, and far worse coaching. I don't see how we don't win 30-32 games..

KAT had a remarkable rookie season, Wiggins is the former ROY, Rubio can't shoot, but is one of the best defenders at this position, solid passer and great rebounder and LaVine produced like Clarkson our best young gun by stats.

Jokic also had a great rookie season, their bust rookie PG finished the season not looking like a bust at all, Nurkic is a legit bruiser, Galo is a top 10 SF and they have players like Faired that are not great, but can produce better than our young guys.

29-33 wins is possible, but it's not really a given, all our young players should improve and adapt to a system that is new, something that takes time to learn and master.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
2019 wrote:
Scoffs wrote:

JC | Lou

The thing is the Lakers never intended to trade Lou this off-season anyways. It's more for next off-season when we try and clear cap.

But I thought the plan was to build a roster that could get out of the cellar/bottom 3-5 of the NBA?

Lou is a good player but not a good fit with you already have an undersized 2 who thus far has shown terrible D.

Revisionist history says we could have put together a much better FA period without really compromising more than we already have.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I didn't know where to put this but I'am watching Kings @ Lakers game that happened somewhere in april and that offense or lack there of makes me want to throw up. It's a miracle we won 17 games.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

I think this years forecast is a little awkward... Cause we diffinitely don't know how we will do with a real coach.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject:

All of our guards are subpar defenders in a guard-oriented league.

That is one of the main reasons we are picked to be bottom-dwellers.
halosage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject:

zePokar wrote:
I didn't know where to put this but I'am watching Kings @ Lakers game that happened somewhere in april and that offense or lack there of makes me want to throw up. It's a miracle we won 17 games.

Yup..no ball movement, no perimeter defense or at least try to defend.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Just looked at last year's records in the West. Denver won 33 games..... Minny won 29 games with less depth than we have this year, and far worse coaching. I don't see how we don't win 30-32 games..

KAT had a remarkable rookie season, Wiggins is the former ROY, Rubio can't shoot, but is one of the best defenders at this position, solid passer and great rebounder and LaVine produced like Clarkson our best young gun by stats.

Jokic also had a great rookie season, their bust rookie PG finished the season not looking like a bust at all, Nurkic is a legit bruiser, Galo is a top 10 SF and they have players like Faired that are not great, but can produce better than our young guys.

29-33 wins is possible, but it's not really a given, all our young players should improve and adapt to a system that is new, something that takes time to learn and master.

Towns and Wiggins were good,although Wiggins was barely average on D. Rubio was an average PG.. he shot 37% from the field. And behind those 3, they have much less depth than we do. And they had the 2nd worst coach in the league. W/our depth and coach, I don't see how we can't replicate their win total or best it.

The Nuggets eh... can't believe they won 33 games. Gallo played 53 games.. Their 2 promising bigs are young and not good defensively. Mudiay was below average overall. yet, 33 wins.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject:

How To Make The Offseason 'Win' Work On The Court

http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/242926/Los-Angeles-Lakers-How-To-Make-The-Offseason-Win-Work-On-The-Court
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: