Amare stoudemire retires
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Apparently Amar'e wanted one more season he was considering returning to the Suns and have a farewell tour but the Suns refused.

He wanted a farewell tour?

I read the recent article about Amare wanting to be in the HOF, and I got the sense that he has an inflated view of his place in NBA history. The guys actually thinks he transcended the PF and C positions. In his prime, he was certainly a monster, but I doubt anyone ever thought of him as a transcendent player.

I've been wondering why he made it a point to retire a Knick, but if this story is true, now I know why. Still, it's hard to believe that he thinks his career was worthy of a farewell tour.

I wouldn't put Amare in the Hall, but I'm not surprised he considers himself Hall worthy. The guy did average 19-8, make 6 all-star teams, and 6 all-NBA teams. His credentials are on par with a lot of borderline Hall of Famers. However, there is a sense that his stats were inflated by the Phoenix system.

My prediction is he'll make the Hall short list, but not get in.

I don't have a problem with anyone thinking Amare is worthy of the HOF. I agree that his credentials have him knocking on the door. However, my issue is with Amare thinking that he transcended the two positions he played at throughout his career. That's an awfully arrogant statement to make.

Amare said he and Nash transcended the game by playing uptempo and that it was a turning point for the NBA.

That was pretty clueless. I mean, granted, they were one of the greatest uptempo teams of all time (partly because they didn't any defense). I think their 2010 team had the 4th highest offensive rating of all time.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/29/amare-stoudemire-my-heart-was-in-two-places-phoenix-and-new-york-i-just-went-where-i-was-wanted/

Quote:
Amar’e Stoudemire: ‘My heart was in two places – Phoenix and New York. I just went where I was wanted’

Before signing with the Knicks to retire, Amar’e Stoudemire reportedly wanted to sign with the Suns this year and last.

He essentially confirmed both accounts.

Stoudemire, via Paul Coro of The Arizona Republic:

“The last two years, we made phone calls to Phoenix but I wasn’t getting any positive response,” Stoudemire told azcentral sports on Thursday. “That would’ve been the perfect way to go out. I didn’t want to beg Phoenix. My heart was in two places – Phoenix and New York. I just went where I was wanted.”

According to the report, Stoudemire wanted to play for Phoenix next season — not just retire as a Sun. If that’s the case, I see why the team passed. The Suns have 15 players (the regular-season roster limit), are rebuilding and already have Tyson Chandler as a veteran big.

But if Stoudemire wanted sign an unguaranteed deal with the Suns then retire as a ceremonial move, it’s a little harder to explain Phoenix’s reluctance. Perhaps, the Suns were caught off guard by such a request. Nobody in memory had done something like that in the NBA. The gesture is far more common in football and baseball.

Either way, Stoudemire retiring as a Knick wasn’t designed to show a long-standing bitterness toward the Suns.

A recent bitterness toward the Suns? Maybe.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject:

If there was anyone that deserved a retirement tour as a Sun it would be Steve Nash. He went ring chasing with us that didn't work out too well and I don't think the Suns wanted to go down that path of giving up a season for a single player. The only reason it worked out for us was because Kobe is one of the greatest to ever play as a Laker and because we were looking at a crap season anyways considering our front office gave away our picks so we needed to suck in order to improve for the future.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/31/amare-stoudemire-to-play-in-israel/

Quote:

Amar’e Stoudemire to play in Israel

Amar’e Stoudemire may be done in the NBA, but he’s not quite done playing professionally. International basketball reporter David Pick reports that the six-time All-Star, who last week officially retired as a member of the Knicks, will play for the Israeli club Hapoel Jerusalem, which he co-owns.

Follow
David Pick @IAmDPick
Amar'e Stoudemire agreed to deal with co-owned Hapoel Jerusalem to become best-ever NBA star in Israel.
5:30 AM - 31 Jul 2016
106 106 Retweets 82 82 likes
In 2010, Stoudemire discovered that he had Hebrew ancestry, and converted to Judaism shortly afterwards. He began visiting Israel and learning Hebrew. So his connection to the country and culture runs deep, and it makes sense that he’s ending his career there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: