Should the Lakers Trade for Westbrook? (Westbrook to Sign Contract Extension, p.66)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we trade for Westbrook?
Yes. Can't pass him up and assume he comes.
19%
 19%  [ 91 ]
No. Free agent in 2018.
80%
 80%  [ 373 ]
Total Votes : 464

pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
A forward-thinking front office would do pretty much what the Lakers did: gather assets and put yourself in a position to be competitive long-term, with the option to convert those assets to a shorter-term picture with a more competitive outlook.

Instead they should have tried to surround (an injured) Kobe with a more "competitive" team for the remote chance of watching them get embarrassed in Round 1? With the greater likelihood they simply drop out of their lotto protection range and hand over their picks? That's a "forward-thinking" front office?

What the Lakers have gone through in recent seasons is something that the Players (Kobe mostly), FO, owners, fanbase, media etc are not accustomed to seeing from them.

So a mix of frustration, angst, anger, puzzlement etc from some is a reasonable expectation.

This fanbase was probably overdue for a reality check. No (post-punitive-lux tax CBA) franchise can remain among the top teams year after year, decade after decade. Even in other sports, teams with way more money (Dodgers, Yankees) are learning the hard lessons of trying to be a competitive team every year without restocking your asset cabinet. It doesn't work that way.

Our FO failed to make good on some imaginary promise that we be title contenders in perpetuity? We must have a horrible front office.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
A forward-thinking front office would do pretty much what the Lakers did: gather assets and put yourself in a position to be competitive long-term, with the option to convert those assets to a shorter-term picture with a more competitive outlook.

Instead they should have tried to surround (an injured) Kobe with a more "competitive" team for the remote chance of watching them get embarrassed in Round 1? With the greater likelihood they simply drop out of their lotto protection range and hand over their picks? That's a "forward-thinking" front office?

What the Lakers have gone through in recent seasons is something that the Players (Kobe mostly), FO, owners, fanbase, media etc are not accustomed to seeing from them.

So a mix of frustration, angst, anger, puzzlement etc from some is a reasonable expectation.

This fanbase was probably overdue for a reality check. No (post-punitive-lux tax CBA) franchise can remain among the top teams year after year, decade after decade. Even in other sports, teams with way more money (Dodgers, Yankees) are learning the hard lessons of trying to be a competitive team every year without restocking your asset cabinet. It doesn't work that way.

Our FO failed to make good on some imaginary promise that we be title contenders in perpetuity? We must have a horrible front office.

I agree with one exception.

I do think that the Front Office - owners needed a reality check as well. Even with a very poorly stocked roster in terms of experience and quality depth:

* They pursued Melo

* They pursued LMA

* They made serious inquiries about LeBron

Even if they had landed one of the above or a similar level older Free Agent, their destiny would have been to be more likely stuck in Purgatory rather than becoming a true Contender. The W/L record would have been better and one of the first round picks used to get Russell and Ingram would have been sent out to fulfill the obligation still owed for the Nash Sign and Trade. The remaining first round pick would have been worse than #2, So some negative outcomes from improving the roster some, but not enough to get within hailing distance of the contenders.

Another underlying key issue besides a more punitive Luxury Tax was that the team was either drafting late or not at all in the first round. They were never able to draft a player to somewhat replace Kobe until they had picks high in the Draft. They didn't have picks high in the Draft until Kobe was near the end of his career.

If they had been able to draft some talented youth and had them on Rookie Scale contracts for several years, they would have had quality depth and no need to sign Nick Young.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

If you're going to denigrate the analysis of others, perhaps a starting point would be providing a bit yourself beyond the refs are crooked, Jim and Mitch sucks, and hey, check out my complete lack of hoops knowledge?

I am pretty comfortable stating that I know a lot about basketball.

You mistake disagreeing with you for a lack of knowledge.

By the way, how was I proved wrong when I said best move would be to bottom out? That was in 2014 I posted it, they were fortunate enough to keep their picks after bottoming out after botching the protection.

Sorry if the truth makes you uncomfortable, I know you have hitched your wagon to the Mitch/DLO train which is a stance with some risk of being completely wrong. We will see how it turns out and who was right in the long run, until then maybe just go back and forth with the other "experts" so we can all learn from your vast knowledge and endless spewing of half facts, misinterpretations and such.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject:

twisted wrote:

I like the fact that you attacked a poster while completely ignoring the massive receipt another poster just called you out for. Real life Faker

What "receipt"?

How was I proved wrong when I said the best move would be to bottom out? Ideally you do it while keeping your picks, not having to luck into them by mismanaging the team in historically bad fashion.

Keep trying, your logic is a bit twisted. And the Faker comment was cute, you are quite witty.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Wow, this thread has become ugly fast.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

That's quite the receipt.

So we bottom out, add Randle, Clarkson, Russell, Nance, Ingram, & Zubac, and somehow the FO still screwed up.

GT, when you talk like that...I get all excited as if I was a 14 year old LG poster asking you what a slip screen is? Can you break it down on video for us?

Is it honestly your contention that lucking into draft picks while overestimating your own team and botching the draft protection is the sign of a forward thinking front office?

Really?

Stick to the Video Room....

Such a crappy response. This a cheap shot and not needed. Your hatred for Mitch has clouded you.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject:

The loudest one in the room, is the weakest one in the room.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Ouch
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject:

why he so mad for tho

GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

So we bottom out, add Randle, Clarkson, Russell, Nance, Ingram, & Zubac, and somehow the FO still screwed up.

GT, when you talk like that...I get all excited as if I was a 14 year old LG poster asking you what a slip screen is? Can you break it down on video for us?

Is it honestly your contention that lucking into draft picks while overestimating your own team and botching the draft protection is the sign of a forward thinking front office?

Really?

This is about the most forced insult I've ever received, it doesn't even make sense. It's like watching Doug Williams at a roast.

How does a team simultaneously botch pick protection and luck into a pick? lol
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Really?

This is about the most forced insult I've ever received, it doesn't even make sense. It's like watching Doug Williams at a roast.

why you commenting when you should be in the video room fam
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
twisted wrote:

I like the fact that you attacked a poster while completely ignoring the massive receipt another poster just called you out for. Real life Faker

What "receipt"?

How was I proved wrong when I said the best move would be to bottom out? Ideally you do it while keeping your picks, not having to luck into them by mismanaging the team in historically bad fashion.

Keep trying, your logic is a bit twisted. And the Faker comment was cute, you are quite witty.

You weren't proven wrong. You were right, the team bottomed out and reaped the rewards of doing so, and you're still mad.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

If you're going to denigrate the analysis of others, perhaps a starting point would be providing a bit yourself beyond the refs are crooked, Jim and Mitch sucks, and hey, check out my complete lack of hoops knowledge?

By the way, how was I proved wrong when I said best move would be to bottom out? That was in 2014 I posted it, they were fortunate enough to keep their picks after bottoming out after botching the protection.

Sorry if the truth makes you uncomfortable, I know you have hitched your wagon to the Mitch/DLO train which is a stance with some risk of being completely wrong. We will see how it turns out and who was right in the long run, until then maybe just go back and forth with the other "experts" so we can all learn from your vast knowledge and endless spewing of half facts, misinterpretations and such.

You have again missed the point, and again managed to be derogatory, argumentative and insulting. You are entitled to your opinion, and you are entitled to defend it. But you are not entitled to act like a jerk, at least not for long.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying to find new ways to explain slip screens to 14 year old LG posters, fam.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject:

#iknowalotaboutbasketball
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
#selfproclaimed
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

#slipscreenintothesedms
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I'm trying to find new ways to explain slip screens to 14 year old LG posters, fam.

what the heck is fam? looks like everybody is using that these days.

fam = family? why wont you type 3 more characters? or its an internet slang?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The bolded fails the logic test. If they had botched pick protection then they would have lost picks. Their pick protection was perfectly fine.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

what the heck is fam? looks like everybody is using that these days.

fam = family? why wont you type 3 more characters? or its an internet slang?

I only talk this way because anpherknee is the coolest person on the internet and I seek his approval.

breh.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Damn, so many L's taken in the last two pages.

!...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject:

Boldarblood wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Really?

Such a crappy response. This a cheap shot and not needed. Your hatred for Mitch has clouded you.

Yeah, I agree. All he needed to do to make his point was just strip out the cheap insults and post his point there in the middle. I'm giving him two weeks off. The mods gave him the respect of his tenure here, but this isn't going to fly. Lanny, see my PM.

Everyone, make your points without the surrounding BS insults. It's really not that hard to back space of that stuff before making your post.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Realistic Steps the Lakers Can Take to Land Russell Westbrook

Quote:
The rationale remains, why trade your young players for Westbrook, who mind you is only 27, without a guarantee of him re-signing and waste his prime waiting for the super teams to slowly dismantle, especially when you can sign him in free agency next season? The answer is simple, you don’t.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/07/27/lakers-russell-westbrook-trade-rumors-what-la-should-do-to-land-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-kevin-durant/

If Westbrook is the guy they want to build the future around, they can't just assume he's available in free agency. The last few years prove that point pretty well. If they are going to hold out for Westbrook in free agency, they also have to have a plan B.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Really?

why you commenting when you should be in the video room fam

Obviously doesn't have Clarkson's work ethic.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:

#LakersfansincebeforeNaismith
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 64 of 70
Jump to: