Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
“The expectations, to me, aren’t going to be wins and losses, right now at least. The expectations are going to be the way we play,” said Walton. “It’s about having an edge when you play, it’s about competing every single time on offense and defense, it’s about playing the right way.”

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/7/25/12276000/la-lakers-news-record-shaq-podcast-luke-walton-interview

Good luck with that Luke. Media and fans will be P&Ming big time when the L's rack up this year. Maybe at the start of the season morale victories will be an acceptable replacement for actual victories. But that never lasts long in LA.
Stay strong Luke! I know you like to be liked. But just stick to your guns, even when things get rough.

Actually, the wins will come when you don't worry about them. That was the point he drove home in the press conference. Team oriented, competitive basketball will automatically yield wins. It's just a matter of the team meshing and putting it together, which will always be a work in progress.

And he's a 100% right. Teams that focus on competing and sharing the ball instead of the outcome give themselves a fighters chance every single night. I expect the Lakers to prove a lot of people wrong next season.

And you know what? There will be little complaining here like there was with Byron. The losses were mainly on his rotations and coaching inadequacies. We also won't be seeing things like "Kobe shots to much" because there will be legitimate ball movement.

He's saying all the right things. Just has to stick to his guns no matter what pressure comes his way.

In terms of the inevitable P&Ming. I think it'll resemble MDAs tenure.
Beautiful offense, hideous defense.
Media and mad fans will complain Luke isn't pushing the young guys hard enough. The narrative will be some B.S. About how Luke and his staff are too laid back.

D'Antoni?

The offense wasn't beautiful at all. There's a reason the Lakers scrapped it in the mid season of 2013. It wasn't good enough. Luke is worlds better than D'Antoni. For one because he actually believes in playing and preaching and teaching defense. His offense is more than just pick and rolls and up tempo ball. There's gonna be an emphasis on ball movement, cutters, the motion sets, and we'll be multi faceted.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

SI Now Tuesday August 2, 2016

On SI Now, host Maggie Gray welcomes Los Angeles Lakers head coach Luke Walton, Sports Illustrated senior writer Lee Jenkins, senior editor Ted Keith and contributing baseball writer Jay Jaffe.

http://www.si.com/sports-illustrated/video/2016/08/02/si-now-tuesday-august-2-2016
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject:

From Larry Nance's interview with Basketball Insiders:

Quote:
"The way I put it is imagine going to work, imagine going to your cubicle and it's just a toxic work environment. There are guys around you that you don't necessarily see eye-to-eye with. Your boss is kind of demanding, it's just a drag going to work every day,” said Nance, Jr., describing an undesirable work environment. “Less gets done, you aren't as productive, there's kind of a bad attitude around.

“Then you go to an environment where the boss is flexible, you've got guys around you that you can talk and mess around with, you go to dinner after work and stuff like that, and it's makes time fly. It makes you really not dread going to work as much,” Nance, Jr. continued. “Granted it's a little different because we're in the NBA, but at least this summer I've really enjoyed going to the gym and seeing the faces and people that are with us now. That's kind of the culture change that's going on.”
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
“The expectations, to me, aren’t going to be wins and losses, right now at least. The expectations are going to be the way we play,” said Walton. “It’s about having an edge when you play, it’s about competing every single time on offense and defense, it’s about playing the right way.”

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/7/25/12276000/la-lakers-news-record-shaq-podcast-luke-walton-interview

Good luck with that Luke. Media and fans will be P&Ming big time when the L's rack up this year. Maybe at the start of the season morale victories will be an acceptable replacement for actual victories. But that never lasts long in LA.
Stay strong Luke! I know you like to be liked. But just stick to your guns, even when things get rough.

Actually, the wins will come when you don't worry about them. That was the point he drove home in the press conference. Team oriented, competitive basketball will automatically yield wins. It's just a matter of the team meshing and putting it together, which will always be a work in progress.

And he's a 100% right. Teams that focus on competing and sharing the ball instead of the outcome give themselves a fighters chance every single night. I expect the Lakers to prove a lot of people wrong next season.

And you know what? There will be little complaining here like there was with Byron. The losses were mainly on his rotations and coaching inadequacies. We also won't be seeing things like "Kobe shots to much" because there will be legitimate ball movement.

He's saying all the right things. Just has to stick to his guns no matter what pressure comes his way.

Media and mad fans will complain Luke isn't pushing the young guys hard enough. The narrative will be some B.S. About how Luke and his staff are too laid back.

D'Antoni?

The offense wasn't beautiful at all. There's a reason the Lakers scrapped it in the mid season of 2013. It wasn't good enough. Luke is worlds better than D'Antoni. For one because he actually believes in playing and preaching and teaching defense. His offense is more than just pick and rolls and up tempo ball. There's gonna be an emphasis on ball movement, cutters, the motion sets, and we'll be multi faceted.

I agree. Thus why I'm calling the eventual Luke Walton pissin and moanin narrative B.S.
We're probably gonna struggle defensively and lose more games than we win.
And the media will do what it always does. Make a story out of it. Even though it just comes down to us having a young, relatively inexperienced roster.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

D'Antoni?

I agree. Thus why I'm calling the eventual Luke Walton pissin and moanin narrative B.S.
And the media will do what it always does. Make a story out of it. Even though it just comes down to us having a young, relatively inexperienced roster.

The media already expects the Lakers to be the worst team in the west while both D'Antoni and his Lakers team were in different positions.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Lakers2015 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:

D'Antoni?

The media already expects the Lakers to be the worst team in the west while both D'Antoni and his Lakers team were in different positions.

Expectations rarely get in the way of media narratives.
Everyone knows Trump is crazy. We've known it for months. But rest assured, CNN will have a story about another crazy quote this week. Like clockwork.
We had a low winning projection for our last MDA season (no Dwight, Nash, healthy Kobe). Didn't stop the media then from writing article after article about us missing the playoffs. How we needed/wanted to trade Pau by the deadline. Scott teams going into the past seasons also had low win expectations but still major media freakout when we lost games.
I'll stop talking about it. I know people think I'm a smart ass. So I'll drop the topic.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

Quote:
"The way I put it is imagine going to work, imagine going to your cubicle and it's just a toxic work environment. There are guys around you that you don't necessarily see eye-to-eye with. Your boss is kind of demanding, it's just a drag going to work every day,” said Nance, Jr., describing an undesirable work environment. “Less gets done, you aren't as productive, there's kind of a bad attitude around.

“Then you go to an environment where the boss is flexible, you've got guys around you that you can talk and mess around with, you go to dinner after work and stuff like that, and it's makes time fly. It makes you really not dread going to work as much,” Nance, Jr. continued. “Granted it's a little different because we're in the NBA, but at least this summer I've really enjoyed going to the gym and seeing the faces and people that are with us now. That's kind of the culture change that's going on.”

Ouch.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:34 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Practice wrote:

Quote:

Ouch.

That's a rather sharp indictment of Byron.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject:

Nothing brings more joy to the world than listening to current players and former players trash Byron.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject:

Practice wrote:

Quote:

Byron's not done taking Ls this off-season.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Roster Gives Luke Walton Tools To Build Bright Future

Quote:
The 2016-2017 Lakers are a team that is built with the purpose of developing the future, but given the mistakes typically made by young players and the declining athleticism of the long-toothed vets, they aren’t set up to win a lot of games next year. That could make things interesting in regards to post-Kobe TV ratings and the infamous Jim Buss deadline, but those pressures aside, Walton explained last month that his expectations for the team will wisely not revolve around wins and losses.

Impressively, Kupchak has managed to give Walton a roster with young talent at every position as well as veterans to act as training wheels, in theory creating a team that can grow together organically for years to come. The same can’t be said for the 76ers, whose rebuild has brought them a glut of forwards and centers with talent but no possibility of them growing alongside each other. Everyone, including the players themselves, know that sooner or later, they will be split up via trade.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-roster-gives-luke-walton-tools-to-build-bright-future/2016/08/10/
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Practice wrote:

Quote:

Ouch.

Absolutely scathing. This is coming from Nance too who had kind words for Byron when the latter got canned. Loved every word of that quote. (bleep) Byron. Much like the fans, the players couldn't even stand to look at that stupid idiot's face.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject:

As much a Walton appears to be a breath of fresh air, he is still saddled with a team that lost 65 games last year, and have only made marginal upgrades in talent.

I have not seen any next season forecast that picks the Lakers than any higher than the 27th best team in the NBA.

So it may seem like there is mountains of hope, with the Lakers having the same 2016-2017 record (0-0) as the Warriors and the Cav's...

But come Christmas day, when the 7-26 Lakers are playing the 22-9 Clippers, reality shall rear its ugly head...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
tox wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Practice wrote:

Quote:

Ouch.

Absolutely scathing. This is coming from Nance too who had kind words for Byron when the latter got canned. Loved every word of that quote. (bleep) Byron. Much like the fans, the players couldn't even stand to look at that stupid idiot's face.

Nance was the one guy (according to Byron) who reached out to him after he got fired too... funny how the truth comes out.

Byron was the worst thing ever for a locker room full of supreme young talent looking for guidance. That description is a very clear picture of what he feels in his heart.

It was misery to joy.

Luke is the anti parking brake (anti-lock brake). The guys are going to play light years better and actually develop in a positive environment.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
As much a Walton appears to be a breath of fresh air, he is still saddled with a team that lost 65 games last year, and have only made marginal upgrades in talent.

I have not seen any next season forecast that picks the Lakers than any higher than the 27th best team in the NBA.

So it may seem like there is mountains of hope, with the Lakers having the same 2016-2017 record (0-0) as the Warriors and the Cav's...

But come Christmas day, when the 7-26 Lakers are playing the 22-9 Clippers, reality shall rear its ugly head...

I'm not going to say that they may the playoffs, but the folks who do those forecasts are grossly underestimating just how bad the coaching was last year. You could pick anyone on this board, and yes, I do mean anyone, and they would have gotten more wins out of that team than Byron.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I'm not going to say that they may the playoffs, but the folks who do those forecasts are grossly underestimating just how bad the coaching was last year. You could pick anyone on this board, and yes, I do mean anyone, and they would have gotten more wins out of that team than Byron.

Agreed Pup. Personally I'd have just let Kobe coach them and I'd have sat there, arms crossed and not said a word. Lol.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Agreed Pup. Personally I'd have just let Kobe coach them and I'd have sat there, arms crossed and not said a word. Lol.

a 2.0 coached team would have us getting more nationally televised games, or get disbanded from the league

Last edited by 22 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

a 2.0 coached team would had us getting more nationally televised games, or get disbanded from the league

The interviews would be more than worth it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
22 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

a 2.0 coached team would had us getting more nationally televised games, or get disbanded from the league

I would pay money to see that!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
22 wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

I would pay money to see that!

He would get fired by the team but still continue to show up using a variety of aliases.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject:

bahahahahha great one JMK!
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how many wins Mitch is expecting. Does he have championship aspirations for this season?
Yumyumcha
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
I wonder how many wins Mitch is expecting. Does he have championship aspirations for this season?

Sometimes I wonder if they have a PR person and the FO is screwing up their advice.

PR: How about being more optimistic to the public
Mitch: I feel we have championship expectations
Jim: If this doesn't work in 3 to 4 years, I'll step down...
Jeannie: Byron got fired?

PR: Ok, nevermind.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject:

Can't wait to see Jesse in a suit. Got that Frank Underwood look going.

Jesse Murmuys: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZXGy0nn14iE/maxresdefault.jpg
kevin Spacey: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-gU9Gw_GC58E/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAACX0/RUVGXAZDL0E/s0-c-k-no-ns/photo.jpg
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:

I remember him saying something like a 10 win improvement would be a good next step. Something along those lines.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 166 of 818
Jump to: