Should the Lakers Trade for Westbrook? (Westbrook to Sign Contract Extension, p.66)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69, 70  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we trade for Westbrook?
Yes. Can't pass him up and assume he comes.
19%
 19%  [ 91 ]
No. Free agent in 2018.
80%
 80%  [ 373 ]
Total Votes : 464

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:
This is a "FU Durant I'm not running" deal for RW.

And he can enjoy destroying his body trying to carry OKC nowhere til he's 32 and forced to join a team that is a championship contender cause he's past his prime and with a broken body. But hey.. at least he showed Durant right?

Westbrook would be better served playing out this year and then going to a team with an actual chance to win or contend afterwards, rather than destroying himself for OKC who will never put a championship contender around him and will sabotage when they due because of their cheap mentality and their inability to take care of their stars, particulaly when they are hurt and rushing them back.

And he has some pretty good options other than OKC as well this off-season.

The Clippers, The Heat, The Celtics, heck, even the Knicks would probably throw together an offer to Sign and Trade to OKC for Westbrook if OKC got desperate to hold onto something.

So it isn't like Westbrook won't have options to go have a chance to contend somewhere else, OKC isn't the prettiest girl at the party, nor the one with the greatest upside of needing to be put over the top.

But sure, Westbrook could re-sign in OKC to say FU to Durant, and then suffer till he's 32 wishing he'd went into Free Agency while other teams go on the rise while he averages a triple double while taking his team to 35-40 wins.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject:

The Thunder are going to have a starting lineup of 4-5 non shooters. They'll barely miss or make the playoffs. That's a better outlook than coming over to us next year, for Russ ..?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Westbrook and Oklohoma City.

It would have been nice to have a superstar player here, but it was gonna be difficult to pull it off.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject:

In B4 the !

Hehe... Good the Westbrook!
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Thank god we can finally lock this thread once and for all.

Westbrook was never needed here. We have the pieces we need that will grow and be contenders together. Throwing that away for one player unless it makes us immediate championship contenders was, is and will always be a god awful idea.

Westbrook can now enjoy taking 30+ shots a game and be a shell of his former self in a couple of years trying to carry the team to a 2nd round exist for his remaining prime.

I'm glad this seems to have settled right away instead of dragging it another year.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
This doesn't rule out a trade possibility at all. It only enhances OKC's leverage. The deal could be wink-wink predicated on OKC trading Westbrook.

I for one am happy this has happened because it means WE won't be trading for him. There's no way Westbrook would do this so he could be traded to a gutted team. However, if he's going anywhere, it's most likely Boston, since they have so many assets that weren't in their rotation last year. Would also explain why Boston is shopping Amir (if true).

While it's true that it doesn't mean he won't be traded, if he's re-upping through 2019 it won't be this year. I can't think of the last superstar to get moved with more than a year left on his deal.

Did not see it being a 3-year deal. Thought it'd be a 1+1. Honestly a puzzling move from Westbrook, who appears headed for the exact same trajectory as 2005-2008 Kobe.

Superstar Divorce --> Huge stats/"(bleep) everyone, i can do this myself" ---> "I need help/Trade me!"
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
This doesn't rule out a trade possibility at all. It only enhances OKC's leverage. The deal could be wink-wink predicated on OKC trading Westbrook.

I for one am happy this has happened because it means WE won't be trading for him. There's no way Westbrook would do this so he could be traded to a gutted team. However, if he's going anywhere, it's most likely Boston, since they have so many assets that weren't in their rotation last year. Would also explain why Boston is shopping Amir (if true).

While it's true that it doesn't mean he won't be traded, if he's re-upping through 2019 it won't be this year. I can't think of the last superstar to get moved with more than a year left on his deal.

Did not see it being a 3-year deal. Thought it'd be a 1+1. Honestly a puzzling move from Westbrook, who appears headed for the exact same trajectory as 2005-2008 Kobe.

Superstar Divorce --> Huge stats/"(bleep) everyone, i can do this myself" ---> "I need help/Trade me!"

Business wise, this is a very dumb move from Westbrook since he could have just resigned next season in another cap raise for more money.

But I guess for the sake of morale in a city that just lost its franchise player, and Westbrook finally owning the team 100%, seems to be satisfy him now.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Business wise, this is a very dumb move from Westbrook since he could have just resigned next season in another cap raise for more money.

But I guess for the sake of morale in a city that just lost its franchise player, and Westbrook finally owning the team 100%, seems to be satisfy him now.

The most puzzling thing is Westbrook opting not to go into free agency when he becomes a 10-year player, which will cost him 5% of whatever the salary cap is. It's a really weird deal if the aim is to stay in OKC.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

For all intents and purposes, it just adds one year to his deal. He'll be a FA in 2018, as he has a Player Option for 2018-19. It gives him more money now, and allows him to hit FA as a 10+ max guy.

He and Paul George will be FAs the same year. Just sayin'.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

For all intents and purposes, it just adds one year to his deal. He'll be a FA in 2018, as he has a Player Option for 2018-19. It gives him more money now, and allows him to hit FA as a 10+ max guy.

Aaaahhhh ok that makes more sense.

Ugh, great, another Far Distant FA Summer to vainly look forward to.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm oddly fine with this. Maybe it's because he wasn't yet a free agent but I'm pretty ambivalent about this.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

So it's a two year deal with team option on the third?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject:

So I'd love nothing more than to jump on the "lock this up" parade, but I don't think trade rumors will be over yet.

OKC locked Westbrook up to an extension. That's two committed years (3rd player option). While the trade price for interested parties is a little higher, he's also more attractive to teams tempted to trade for him, because he's now committed to over one year.

So it's a good deal for OKC if they decide to trade him or keep him.

Am I thinking about this correctly?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Love rw. His team. Got some talent. He has as good a chance as any other western team to beat gsw which isn't great. Smart move imo
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I'm on edge about Laker trade scenarios until Brandon Ingram is signed.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

Player option on the third. And the first year is this upcoming year.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait for Cookies & Cream's 10 page thesis on why we should now trade for Westbrook because he's locked up for another year.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Player option on the third. And the first year is this upcoming year.

Thanks. Was hearing conflicting reports. At first I thought it sounded like a 1+1.

Last edited by panamaniac on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject:

So any team trading for Westbrook will have to give up the farm. Guess he is content with his career of scoring big numbers but ultimately not going anywhere considering OKC is hardly a destination.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Player option on the 3rd. He still chose the option that "can" lead to the biggest payday. He was set to make 17M this season (his 9th), and he would have had to sign a 1+1 to get to the supermax the following year like Durant just did. Now he will make the max next year (compared to 17M), the max in year 10 and then he can sign the supermax when he opts out (and only OKC can offer a 5 year one). If things don't work out he can still bounce one season later, which he traded for the extra $9M.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Player option on the 3rd. He still chose the option that "can" lead to the biggest payday. He was set to make 17M this season (his 9th), and he would have had to sign a 1+1 to get to the supermax the following year like Durant just did. Now he will make the max next year (compared to 17M), the max in year 10 and then he can sign the supermax when he opts out (and only OKC can offer a 5 year one). If things don't work out he can still bounce one season later, which he traded for the extra $9M.

The_Dynasty24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

The deal makes a lot of sense for RW.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
So any team trading for Westbrook will have to give up the farm. Guess he is content with his career of scoring big numbers but ultimately not going anywhere considering OKC is hardly a destination.

Yup OKC isn't desperate anymore so a team would have to give up a decent amount of assets to get WB.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Essentially he'll be a free agent again by 30 if the Thunder haven't built a championship contender in the next 2 seasons, they got one year of recovery from Durant leaving, and one year to put a championship team around Westbrook and if not he's bouncing.

So now Lakers fans can await till the summer of 2018-2019 to talk about trying to sign DeMarcus Cousins and Russell Westbrook in the same off-season.

Here's your lineup if that happens, just an inb4

D'Angelo Russell
Russell Westbrook
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
DeMarcus Cousins

Bench:
Jordan Clarkson
Lou Williams / Anthony Brown
Luol Deng
Larry Nance Jr
Ivica Zubac / Tarik Black

How far's that team go with a 4th year Russell, 5th year Randle and Clarkson and a 3rd year Ingram? Assuming all have progressed and been relatively healthy.

Is it a Lakers vs Warriors WCF with Durant vs Westbrook, Russell vs Curry, Klay vs Ingram and Draymond vs Randle?
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Essentially he'll be a free agent again by 30 if the Thunder haven't built a championship contender in the next 2 seasons, they got one year of recovery from Durant leaving, and one year to put a championship team around Westbrook and if not he's bouncing.

So now Lakers fans can await till the summer of 2018-2019 to talk about trying to sign DeMarcus Cousins and Russell Westbrook in the same off-season.

Here's your lineup if that happens, just an inb4

D'Angelo Russell
Russell Westbrook
Brandon Ingram
Julius Randle
DeMarcus Cousins

Bench:
Jordan Clarkson
Lou Williams / Anthony Brown
Luol Deng
Larry Nance Jr
Ivica Zubac / Tarik Black

How far's that team go with a 4th year Russell, 5th year Randle and Clarkson and a 3rd year Ingram? Assuming all have progressed and been relatively healthy.

Is it a Lakers vs Warriors WCF with Durant vs Westbrook, Russell vs Curry, Klay vs Ingram and Draymond vs Randle?

With Zubac ready to start in 18/19' I think PG and RW, passing on Cousins.

18-19'...

Westbrook
DLO
Ingram
PG
Zubac

Randle 30 minute 6th man....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 68 of 70
Jump to: