Thunder's Enes Kanter posts death threats he received online in wake of Turkish coup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Thunder's Enes Kanter posts death threats he received online in wake of Turkish coup

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/07/20/thunders-enes-kanter-posts-death-threats-he-recieved-online-in-wake-of-attempted-turkish-coup/

Quote:
Thunder’s Enes Kanter posts death threats he recieved online in wake of attempted Turkish coup

Oklahoma City’s Enes Kanter has long been an opponent of current Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, being outspoken about his dislike for his country’s leader for years. Kanter believes those comments are at the root of his problems with the Turkish national basketball team and why he was left off the team’s 2015 Eurobasket roster (the coach denied this at the time, although the country did not have better power forwards available and did not qualify for the Olympics out of the tournament).

In the wake of the recent failed coup attempt in Turkey, Kanter said he received a series of death threats, and he posted 24 of them (they are in Turkish):

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter
Follow
Enes Kanter ✔ @Enes_Kanter
Buyrun Bakalım;
3:39 AM - 20 Jul 2016
308 308 Retweets 259 259 likes
In another tweet in Turkish, Kanter — a devout Muslim — said: “Death threats continue to fall. Prayer does not stand still.”

In the wake of the coup, Erdogan has tightened his grip on power, including firing 15,000 people who could be opponents from civil service jobs, and arresting hundreds in his eyes believed to be tied to the coup, and has discussed re-instituting the death penalty in the country. Kanter has criticized the moves online, making allusions to Hitler’s 1930s power grab in Germany.

Kanter has never been afraid to speak his mind — on Turkish politics, on former teammates, on just about anything. That’s not going to change now.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Good for him, that's very brave (re: speaking out.)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/08/enes-kanters-family-disowns-him-over-turkish-political-issues/

Quote:
Enes Kanter’s family disowns him over Turkish political issues

Enes Kanter showed the death threats he received over his outspoken views on Turkish politics.

The disdain the Thunder has center received includes from his own family.

Şeyma Eraz and Yunus Paksoy of Daily Sabah:

“Enes Kanter, who is known for his staunch support of the Gülen Movement and its leader Fethullah Gülen, has been disowned by his family.

Kanter’s father Mehmet Kanter disowned his son for his ties with the Gülen Movement. Saying that Enes was hypnotized by the Gülenist Terror Organization [FETÖ], his father wrote: “I apologize to the Turkish people and the president for having such a son.”

Following the release of the letter, Daily Sabah reached out to Mehmet Kanter, who told Daily Sabah that he has been quite disturbed by his son’s behavior and insulting tweets directed at President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.”

“The elder Kanter said he has not been able to communicate with Enes since 2015. “I would not have taken Enes to the U.S. for the basketball camp where his talent was discovered had I known that it would come to this point,” he said
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I say we hand him over to Erdogan.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/enes-kanter-i-would-sacrifice-my-mother-father-and-whole-family-for-gulen/

Quote:
Enes Kanter: I would sacrifice my mother, father and whole family for Gulen

Enes Kanter‘s family publicly disowned him for his support of Fethullah Gülen over Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Yesterday, the Thunder center responded:

As translated by Eurohoops.net:

“Today i lost my mother, father, brothers and sisters, my family and all my relatives. My own father asked me to change my surname. My mother, who has given me life disowned me. My brothers and sisters with which we have grown together ignore me. My relatives don’t want to see me again.

For Gulen’s work, which has been grown by the tears of loyal and devoted people, not one but thousands of Enes could be sacrificed. I would sacrifice my mother, father and whole family for Gulen’s sake.

I would give my head for this case. I hope my God would take from my life and give it to Gulen. I would sacrifice my heaven and i would laugh through hells for this service. My love for Gulen is more than my love to my mom, father, brothers and sisters and all other loves.

My mom and my father would be sacrifice for you, for this service, for this case. There should be no doubt for everybody! God will take care to those people who are the supporters of this case, God will ramp up! Hang on my big brothers, hang on my big sisters! Hang in there! Let’s not lose that test. Let’s not be the losers at that victorious time. From now on, my sisters and brothers are the supporters of that service in 171 countries. Soldiers of that service are my brothers and sisters. From now on, my family is my Hodja (Gulen) who has tears in his eyes. Tyrants will be swept away in time. Hang on, God is with us. My god will make everything good It’s an indispensable case. There is God, there isn’t grief.

Enes (Kanter) Gulen”

That’s some heavy stuff.

On the lighter side of it, notice the signature. I wonder whether he’ll seek to change the name on his jersey from Kanter to Gulen.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/08/09/enes-kanter-i-would-sacrifice-my-mother-father-and-whole-family-for-gulen/

Quote:

Enes Kanter‘s family publicly disowned him for his support of Fethullah Gülen over Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

“Today i lost my mother, father, brothers and sisters, my family and all my relatives. My own father asked me to change my surname. My mother, who has given me life disowned me. My brothers and sisters with which we have grown together ignore me. My relatives don’t want to see me again.

For Gulen’s work, which has been grown by the tears of loyal and devoted people, not one but thousands of Enes could be sacrificed. I would sacrifice my mother, father and whole family for Gulen’s sake.

I would give my head for this case. I hope my God would take from my life and give it to Gulen. I would sacrifice my heaven and i would laugh through hells for this service. My love for Gulen is more than my love to my mom, father, brothers and sisters and all other loves.

My mom and my father would be sacrifice for you, for this service, for this case. There should be no doubt for everybody! God will take care to those people who are the supporters of this case, God will ramp up! Hang on my big brothers, hang on my big sisters! Hang in there! Let’s not lose that test. Let’s not be the losers at that victorious time. From now on, my sisters and brothers are the supporters of that service in 171 countries. Soldiers of that service are my brothers and sisters. From now on, my family is my Hodja (Gulen) who has tears in his eyes. Tyrants will be swept away in time. Hang on, God is with us. My god will make everything good It’s an indispensable case. There is God, there isn’t grief.

Enes (Kanter) Gulen”

That’s some heavy stuff.

On the lighter side of it, notice the signature. I wonder whether he’ll seek to change the name on his jersey from Kanter to Gulen.

Very cultish statement.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject:

yes sounds cultish but it seems this Gulen movement advocates for a more peaceful form of Islam. I'll take that anyday over the ISIS sympathizers that are in charge in Turkey right now.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
yes sounds cultish but it seems this Gulen movement advocates for a more peaceful form of Islam. I'll take that anyday over the ISIS sympathizers that are in charge in Turkey right now.

This is not a political forum, but I can't let the casual ignorance slide. Turkey, like other nations in the Middle East, has been among the primary victims of ISIS violence. I'm not sure how you can equate that with ISIS sympathy. No governments sympathize with ISIS, because all are targets of their violent anarchy. There are plenty of reasons to criticize the Turkish government, but ISIS sympathy? Come on, dude.

As for the "peaceful" form of Islam, there are no violent/peaceful forms of Judaism, Christianity, Islam or any other religion - only violent/peaceful followers of various religions.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

This is not a political forum, but I can't let the casual ignorance slide. Turkey, like other nations in the Middle East, has been among the primary victims of ISIS violence. I'm not sure how you can equate that with ISIS sympathy. No governments sympathize with ISIS, because all are targets of their violent anarchy. There are plenty of reasons to criticize the Turkish government, but ISIS sympathy? Come on, dude.

As for the "peaceful" form of Islam, there are no violent/peaceful forms of Judaism, Christianity, Islam or any other religion - only violent/peaceful followers of various religions.
well said
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

NB4
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/05/20/enes-kanter-claims-his-passport-was-canceled-by-turkish-embassy-calls-turkish-president-erdogan-hitler-of-our-century/

Quote:
Enes Kanter Claims His Passport Was Canceled By Turkish Embassy, Calls Turkish President Erdogan "Hitler of our century"

Enes Kanterof the Oklahoma City Thunder is being held at a Romanian airport by police today. Kanter says his passport was canceled by the Turkish embassy because of his political views and blames Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the president of Turkey. Earlier this week, after a meeting with Donald Trump in Washington, D.C., Erdogan’s bodyguards were caught on video attacking protesters.

In his video Kanter calls Erdogan “a dictator and the Hitler of our century.”
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/22/death-threats-may-prompt-thunders-enes-kanter-to-become-us-citizen/

Quote:

Death threats may prompt Thunder’s Enes Kanter to become US citizen

Oklahoma City center Enes Kanter said Monday he routinely received death threats for criticizing the government of his native Turkey, and he may seek an expedited process toward becoming a U.S. citizen.

Kanter was detained at an airport in Romania over the weekend, with border police there saying they did so because Turkish authorities canceled his passport. Kanter eventually was allowed to leave for London and then New York, after he said officials from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and others intervened on his behalf.

Kanter held a news conference in New York on Monday and said he was the target of two more death threats earlier in the day.

“This is definitely crazy right now,” he said.

Kanter has long been a critic of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, whom he has likened to Adolf Hitler on multiple occasions. Kanter contends, among other things, that a failed coup attempt last year was actually staged by the Erdogan-led government.

“I call it the fake coup attempt,” Kanter said. “Last year, they did a fake coup attempt themselves, so they can control everything. So right now, the Erdogan government is controlling the army, controlling the police, controlling judges, controlling journalists, everything.”

Kanter makes no secret of his support of Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen, who opposes Erdogan. Kanter said that when he was detained in Romania, he feared he would be sent back to Turkey.

Kanter said he has not spoken with his parents and other relatives in Turkey in more than a year.

“There’s no democracy. There’s no freedom of speech, freedom of religion. It’s definitely been crazy,” Kanter said. “Right now, even if I tried to communicate with my parents, my mom, my dad, my brother or sister, they would probably right now listen on their phones and as soon as they are in contact with me they’ll put them in a jail. And the jails are not fun, of course.”

Kanter has a green card for entry to the U.S. but no passport, which is problematic on several fronts. He had several international trips planned this summer on his foundation’s behalf, and he also likely would not be able to enter Canada without the passport – a problem considering Oklahoma City plays once each season in Toronto.

Romanian Border Police Spokesman Fabian Badila told The Associated Press that Kanter arrived Saturday at about 1 p.m. from Frankfurt at Bucharest’s Henri Coanda Airport, traveling on a Turkish passport.

“My colleagues discovered … that the passport had been canceled by Turkish authorities, and legally he is not allowed to enter Romania,” Badila said.

Kanter has been in the NBA for six seasons. He averaged 14.3 points and 6.7 rebounds this season for the Thunder. He said it’s his understanding that the process to become a U.S. citizen can take five years, though he hopes that can be accelerated in his case.

“I feel like this is my home now,” Kanter said.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

mirak wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Enes (Kanter) Gulen”

That’s some heavy stuff.

Very cultish statement.
Yup. you beat me to it. its one thing to be down with a legit cause you believe in and are willing to fight for. where it actually helps people who may not usually get the help they deserve. But to speak in this manner tells me all i need to know. You're down with a cult. Doesnt mean you're family is correct either. it just means your cult isnt where its at either.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Well his family can't exactly say they support his son since they still live in Turkey and the Erdogan goons would probably torture and murder them. When you have a gun pointed at your head survival mode kicks in.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Turkey has an arrest warrant out for him. Called him a terrorist....guess Erdogan can't handle a little criticism.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I don't know of any politician worth giving up your parents for.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
mirak wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Enes (Kanter) Gulen”

That’s some heavy stuff.

Very cultish statement.
Yup. you beat me to it. its one thing to be down with a legit cause you believe in and are willing to fight for. where it actually helps people who may not usually get the help they deserve. But to speak in this manner tells me all i need to know. You're down with a cult. Doesnt mean you're family is correct either. it just means your cult isnt where its at either.

You lightweights have no idea what you're talking about.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
mirak wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Enes (Kanter) Gulen”

That’s some heavy stuff.

Very cultish statement.

Especially when talking about ruthless dictators....as usual splashmtn doesn't know what he's talking about.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
mirak wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Enes (Kanter) Gulen”

That’s some heavy stuff.

Very cultish statement.

Especially when talking about ruthless dictators....as usual splashmtn doesn't know what he's talking about.
lol where's the as usual. i just said it sounds cultish. i dont care who the person is. if it's a great cause or not. was my disclaimer, meaning even beyond this situation. if you ever catch yourself or anyone else talking about someone in this manner. its cultish. that should never be the case.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:

Pure politics.
Anyhow, things are rough in Turkey, and hey have drifted apart from the EU.
Some countries never seem to go beyong "Strong leadership" like Kemal Ataturk (credit to him), and see as solution what I see as a problem.

In Portugal we had a ditactor for 40 years. He may have been a great leader for 10-15 years (and this is highly disputed and I am not willing even to support him), but left the country in a total wreck, with his last years remembered by restricting liberties, diminishing democracy etc.

Older people seem to thing it was a Greater Portugal, people were honest with principles, no immigration, etc during these times. Of course the colonial war, the fact emmigration was huge (unemployment) and immigration was irrelevant because no one would even think of coming over to Portugal, all towns outside the top cities were irrelevant to the government, is somehow forgotten...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
mirak wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Enes (Kanter) Gulen”

That’s some heavy stuff.

Very cultish statement.

lol where's the as usual. i just said it sounds cultish. i dont care who the person is. if it's a great cause or not. was my disclaimer, meaning even beyond this situation. if you ever catch yourself or anyone else talking about someone in this manner. its cultish. that should never be the case.

If you bothered to learn about the backstory of this power struggle you would realize that Gulen-Erdogan were at one point in time allies with each other. But because Gulen lost out to Erdogan in a power struggle to control the country, Erdogan has been on a campaign to eliminate all threats to his power. That includes labeling guys like Gulen as terrorists/cult leaders etc. This guy is basically playing the modern role of Trotsky. People like Kanter who are against the ideals that Erdogan stand for are of course labeled as terrorists as well.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject:

Looks like Kanter's dad has been arrested. Always felt that them "disowning" him was a ploy to keep his family safe.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19521366/enes-kanter-oklahoma-city-thunder-says-turkish-government-arrested-father-mehmet-kanter
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
mirak wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

Quote:

Enes (Kanter) Gulen”

That’s some heavy stuff.

Very cultish statement.

If you bothered to learn about the backstory of this power struggle you would realize that Gulen-Erdogan were at one point in time allies with each other. But because Gulen lost out to Erdogan in a power struggle to control the country, Erdogan has been on a campaign to eliminate all threats to his power. That includes labeling guys like Gulen as terrorists/cult leaders etc. This guy is basically playing the modern role of Trotsky. People like Kanter who are against the ideals that Erdogan stand for are of course labeled as terrorists as well.
notice, i had absolutely nothing to say about the actual politics behind it. the reason being. there's no way for me to know the FULL story. it would take a lot of research for me to get a full picture of what has happened vs what is happening now. you have said full story. i dont. never claimed to have it. I only addressed how kanter sounded like someone who follows a cult. and no matter who you're following(good guy or bad) doesn't matter. you should never sound like a Cult follower. if you do, something is wrong.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/09/20/despite-revoked-passport-enes-kanter-says-thunder-have-arranged-his-travel-to-mexico-city-toronto/

Quote:
Despite revoked passport, Enes Kanter says Thunder have arranged his travel to Mexico City, Toronto

Thunder center Enes Kanter – who had passport revoked by Turkey – lacked documentation to travel for a December game against the Nets in Mexico City and a March game against the Raptors in Toronto.

Apparently, that issue has been resolved.

Brett Dawson of The Oklahoman:

Kanter said on Sunday that the team has worked out an arrangement to allow him to travel to games in Toronto and Mexico City even without a passport.

It always seemed highly likely Kanter would get to Toronto and Mexico City. He’s a high-profile millionaire working for a billion-dollar company.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/09/20/despite-revoked-passport-enes-kanter-says-thunder-have-arranged-his-travel-to-mexico-city-toronto/

Quote:
Despite revoked passport, Enes Kanter says Thunder have arranged his travel to Mexico City, Toronto

Thunder center Enes Kanter – who had passport revoked by Turkey – lacked documentation to travel for a December game against the Nets in Mexico City and a March game against the Raptors in Toronto.

Apparently, that issue has been resolved.

Brett Dawson of The Oklahoman:

Kanter said on Sunday that the team has worked out an arrangement to allow him to travel to games in Toronto and Mexico City even without a passport.

It always seemed highly likely Kanter would get to Toronto and Mexico City. He’s a high-profile millionaire working for a billion-dollar company.

How the hell the team arranged such a thing? Did they bribe the border police?
Or a mexican passport?

This just let's you know the side Erdogan is leaning towards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: