Laker Film Room: Summer League in Review - Ivica Zubac
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I was most interested in seeing your defensive breakdown on Zubac. The knock on him pre-draft was that he was far from being a good defensive player (from Draft Express):
Draft Express wrote:
Zubac's potential defensively isn't quite as exciting. He's not a great shot blocker or rebounder despite his size, as his lack of explosiveness limits him against high level competition. Zubac shows the ability to move his feet fairly well at times guarding the midrange, but generally appears limited defending away from the rim, which coupled with his lack of seasoning on this end, proved particularly problematic in the pick and roll.

Experience should help him clean up some of his mental lapses, and hopefully help him improve as a defensive rebounder. His sheer size figures to be an asset when he's contesting shots around the rim, but there are question marks about the type of paint protector he can be early on in his career, unless his awareness and physicality improves significantly with added coaching.

Glad to hear that his defense was much better than expected.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I hadn't noticed the strong hand dominance. Balancing that out is going to improve his quickness to get in position as he's wasting movement getting back to his right. The verticality thing is also eminently fixable.

It's interesting that Zubac was said to have fallen in the draft because of a reluctance to be a stash candidate. But I feel like having him build skill under our trainers is way more important.

For some reason, the guys who get guff for hand dominance are almost always lefties.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
How does Marc Gasol do defending P/Rs?

He's the "best case scenario" for Zubac. Gasol makes up for his so-so agility (which got a lot better as he got experience & strength + conditioning coaching) by being a very high-IQ player who's "mentally fast", if that makes sense. He anticipates the action very well and is a phenomenal positional defender as a result. Zubac's lack of agility is exacerbated by the fact that he doesn't really know what's going on out there either, which is typical for a 19 year old. I think it's more realistic to expect him to make strides in terms of awareness than for him to become considerably more agile.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Very cool! Thanks GT.
Clutch24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject:

I really like these videos. Much appreciated, GT.
NYCLaker
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Like what I saw for him in Summer league,

Would of been great if he had gotten called up for Croatia. Looks to have the tools to be our future center or at least backup.
Jackobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

btw....GT....you sound more intelligent on the Legacy Podcast than you usually are on here.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Jackobe wrote:
btw....GT....you sound more intelligent on the Legacy Podcast than you usually are on here.

Thanks?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Nice work! I hadn't noticed a lot of the things that you pointed out, especially the turning to the right to contest right handed layups.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject:

ivica is oozing potential
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject:

As always, great vid GT! In some way you took the sheen off his summer league play, which is great because I think that's how people get overrated in SPL. It looks like he did well on the things he good at, but as he gets scouted, his flaws (many of which you delineated) start coming into the fold.

I do like how much is correctable, though. And honestly, even if he can't get off the floor in certain series due to PnR coverages, that's kind of the name of the game these days. Channing Frye was a monster the first 3 rounds of the playoffs and he barely sniffed the court in the Finals.

Bigs seem to be situational, unless you have one of the extremely mobile guys who can also guard traditional 5s (someone like Steven Adams). Do-it-all centers o/w mostly seem rare.
Agramer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject:

NYCLaker wrote:

Would of been great if he had gotten called up for Croatia.

it's was our national coaches decision not to change the team that won the qualifying tournament to get to the Olympics, otherwise he probably would be there now. in future Zubac will be a certain starter for our national team, especially if he develops ,as we all expect, with Lakers
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject:

Agramer wrote:
NYCLaker wrote:

Would of been great if he had gotten called up for Croatia.

it's was our national coaches decision not to change the team that won the qualifying tournament to get to the Olympics, otherwise he probably would be there now. in future Zubac will be a certain starter for our national team, especially if he develops ,as we all expect, with Lakers

Thanks for the information! Keep us up to date!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject:

Whiteside only plays soft hedge & ice P&r isn't it?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
Whiteside only plays soft hedge & ice P&r isn't it?

For the most part, yes. He struggles on the perimeter.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
As always, great vid GT! In some way you took the sheen off his summer league play, which is great because I think that's how people get overrated in SPL. It looks like he did well on the things he good at, but as he gets scouted, his flaws (many of which you delineated) start coming into the fold.

I do like how much is correctable, though. And honestly, even if he can't get off the floor in certain series due to PnR coverages, that's kind of the name of the game these days. Channing Frye was a monster the first 3 rounds of the playoffs and he barely sniffed the court in the Finals.

Bigs seem to be situational, unless you have one of the extremely mobile guys who can also guard traditional 5s (someone like Steven Adams). Do-it-all centers o/w mostly seem rare.

Yeah, a lot of bigs are situational, and I think Zubac will be one of them. That sounds like more of a putdown than it is...I really like him and think he's a steal at #32...but it'll be hard to keep him on the court in some circumstances. But he has a lot of potential in the things that he's good at.

His defensive potential is heavily tied to his B-ball IQ. A guy like Marc Gasol, for example, isn't the fleeting of foot either, but he makes up for it with tremendous awareness & anticipation. Zubac's lack of agility is exacerbated by him not really knowing what's going on either, which isn't uncommon at 19.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject:

great great video. perfectly illuminating, great breakdown!
Marvin_The_Mart
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah, a lot of bigs are situational, and I think Zubac will be one of them. That sounds like more of a putdown than it is...I really like him and think he's a steal at #32...but it'll be hard to keep him on the court in some circumstances. But he has a lot of potential in the things that he's good at.

His defensive potential is heavily tied to his B-ball IQ. A guy like Marc Gasol, for example, isn't the fleeting of foot either, but he makes up for it with tremendous awareness & anticipation. Zubac's lack of agility is exacerbated by him not really knowing what's going on either, which isn't uncommon at 19.

Huge Fan of your work GT! Another excellent video!

I imagine that despite his PNR defense weakness, he will be a very valuable player against some teams. Not every team has the ability to run him off the floor, especially once he learns how to anticipate better.

I remember reading that Zubac wants to develop the 3 point range, but I am not sure of how valuable that skill will be except in limited use. Serge Ibaka managed to get 3 point range, but it negated part of his use as a rebounder, and in the end made him kind of expendable.

All told, I'm very excited for such a great pick at #32!
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't work on my iPad Pro (I watch other videos all the time on it).
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject:

As time progresses, he should be able to understand the fundamentals of NBA offense and become more effective. Hopefully he can also improve his agility and coordination.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:

Try this one. https://vimeo.com/177948762
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject:

Marvin_The_Mart wrote:
Huge Fan of your work GT! Another excellent video!

I imagine that despite his PNR defense weakness, he will be a very valuable player against some teams. Not every team has the ability to run him off the floor, especially once he learns how to anticipate better.

I remember reading that Zubac wants to develop the 3 point range, but I am not sure of how valuable that skill will be except in limited use. Serge Ibaka managed to get 3 point range, but it negated part of his use as a rebounder, and in the end made him kind of expendable.

All told, I'm very excited for such a great pick at #32!

Thanks, man! I certainly agree that not everyone (or even most teams) will be able to run him off of the court. He has a ton of promise in terms of rim protection, the ability to rebound/finish around the basket, & even as a shooter. There will always be a place in the league for guys like that.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Startrout wrote:

Try this one. https://vimeo.com/177948762

Cool, thanks!!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
I hadn't noticed the strong hand dominance. Balancing that out is going to improve his quickness to get in position as he's wasting movement getting back to his right. The verticality thing is also eminently fixable.

It's interesting that Zubac was said to have fallen in the draft because of a reluctance to be a stash candidate. But I feel like having him build skill under our trainers is way more important.

You know who also had a habit of turning to his side?

https://youtu.be/ZtPpnpZTkPg

https://youtu.be/ZtPpnpZTkPg

He was doing it in his early 20's per Jon McGlocklin and was still doing it in his early 40's .
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: