Better Rookie Season, D’Angelo Russell or Brandon Ingram?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better Rookie Season, D’Angelo Russell or Brandon Ingram?
D'Angelo Russell
35%
 35%  [ 20 ]
Brandon Ingram
64%
 64%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 57

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject:

Make no mistake, Ingram is going to be a stud.

However, given his slight frame, may take at least a full season and more before he can really start showing his stuff out there. I have no doubts he will be a top 2 way player in the NBA.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Make no mistake, Ingram is going to be a stud.

However, given his slight frame, may take at least a full season and more before he can really start showing his stuff out there. I have no doubts he will be a top 2 way player in the NBA.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

Ingram will have the better rookie season. He will be better defensively and more efficient offensively. He will also have a better supporting cast which will make it much easier for him.
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

I think some of you are heaping everything on B Scott, and not remembering what an absolutely CRAP start D-Lo had to begin the season.: he was HANDED the starting job, and started off the year, with no restrictions, shooting 36% from the field, and generally bad all-around numbers, which caused him to be benched.

Of course, his play greatly increased gradually over the course of the season, with him playing dramatically better over the course of the 2nd half of the season.

Honestly, I expect Ingram to have a similar rookie year, at least numbers-wise: about 12ppg, or even less. He had problems finishing around the basket in college, and in summer league, so I don't expect him to all of a sudden to become a great finisher.

He's also not going to be a 40% 3-point shooter out of the box, either. I'd be happy if he shot 33+% from three.

Initially, his role will be to be a good bench player on this team, with the capability to get more minutes based on his consistency and showings in games. He'll probably back up Clarkson & Deng, so I put him at about 25mpg. So I actually put him at 11ppg, 4rpg, 2apg, 0.8blk, 0.7stl. 44%FG
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
I think some of you are heaping everything on B Scott, and not remembering what an absolutely CRAP start D-Lo had to begin the season.: he was HANDED the starting job, and started off the year, with no restrictions, shooting 36% from the field, and generally bad all-around numbers, which caused him to be benched.

Of course, his play greatly increased gradually over the course of the season, with him playing dramatically better over the course of the 2nd half of the season.

Honestly, I expect Ingram to have a similar rookie year, at least numbers-wise: about 12ppg, or even less. He had problems finishing around the basket in college, and in summer league, so I don't expect him to all of a sudden to become a great finisher.

He's also not going to be a 40% 3-point shooter out of the box, either. I'd be happy if he shot 33+% from three.

Initially, his role will be to be a good bench player on this team, with the capability to get more minutes based on his consistency and showings in games. He'll probably back up Clarkson & Deng, so I put him at about 25mpg. So I actually put him at 11ppg, 4rpg, 2apg, 0.8blk, 0.7stl. 44%FG

Yeah. I can see a modest start for Ingram as he gets acclimated to the NBA. That's why having Deng is a really good thing right now.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:

fair assessment
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject:

In terms of raw numbers, I'm a little worried that he might not get enough shots or touches.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Ingram and it's not close.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:

I'd like to see your reasoning. I love both of these kids but I think bc Deng will start ahead of him, Ingram may put up modest numbers this year.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Ingram is a bit over rated at this point. He is fundamentally sound no doubt but I don't see star just yet. He definitely has all the game.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Ingram is a bit over rated at this point. He is fundamentally sound no doubt but I don't see star just yet. He definitely has all the game.

It's hard to judge players, especially freshman out of college. A kid will have a decent amount of flashes, and a segment of fans will run with that - then there's the other side, where fans will run with plays where a player is stifled. Personally I lean more towards the latter with Ingram at this point in time - I think he has more raw skills that are above average for his age, but still not at the level where he can prosper off of them in the NBA. Combine that with his severely underdeveloped body - I don't think he's going to have a GREAT rookie year.
On the other hand you have Schmitt from DraftExpress who isn't shy about comparing Ingram to KD, and thinks he should have went #1. It's hard to judge these freshman..
This was my 3rd year following the draft closely, it's the most in-exact science in the world, lol. So , don't get tied to your predictions - and more often than not, you'll need more patience than you projected.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

It's hard to judge players, especially freshman out of college. A kid will have a decent amount of flashes, and a segment of fans will run with that - then there's the other side, where fans will run with plays where a player is stifled. Personally I lean more towards the latter with Ingram at this point in time - I think he has more raw skills that are above average for his age, but still not at the level where he can prosper off of them in the NBA. Combine that with his severely underdeveloped body - I don't think he's going to have a GREAT rookie year.
On the other hand you have Schmitt from DraftExpress who isn't shy about comparing Ingram to KD, and thinks he should have went #1. It's hard to judge these freshman..
This was my 3rd year following the draft closely, it's the most in-exact science in the world, lol. So , don't get tied to your predictions - and more often than not, you'll need more patience than you projected.

Patience is the key with all these young guys. By year 2 or 3 I expect Ingram to show some flashes of all-star potential.

The future is now for D-Lo. He has to show a LOT this season. I suspect he will be fine.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

Patience is the key with all these young guys. By year 2 or 3 I expect Ingram to show some flashes of all-star potential.

Yup, for sure. I think both he and Russell will look amazing in year 3, like, talk of the NBA type up and comers
Ingram skill wise, by that point will silence all doubters, and he'll weigh close to 210 which is decent on the wing. He's a sure fire all star.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
defense wrote:

Pretty much agree. Time will tell. If I was a betting man I would bet on Russell turning out the starriest (yes I made that up)
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
Betcha it'll be pretty darn close.
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

It's about how well Ingram would be able to score, because his defensive potential is way higher.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

It's about how well Ingram would be able to score, because his defensive potential is way higher.
Yeah and? Still won't matter imo. I'm not expecting some spectacular rookie outing. If he does exceed expectations, awesome. If not, all good. Still gonna be a stud.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject:

The question is about this season; this season there is absolutely no doubt in my mind DLO will be the better player. He has the advantage of a year in the league. Ingram will be learning, getting stronger, etc.

Bottom line this season; DLO.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject:

All 130 D’Angelo Russell Made Threes From Rookie Season

Quote:
Despite experience several trying periods of time throughout his rookie season with the Los Angeles Lakers, D’Angelo Russell put together a nice year. He finished the year among statistical leaders in numerous categories among rookies. Russell also made a handful of iconic moments for his early career. However, the season as a whole wound up being record-breaking too.

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/08/13/lakers-dangelo-russell-all-130-made-threes-record-video/

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Ingram will have the better rookie season. He will be better defensively and more efficient offensively. He will also have a better supporting cast which will make it much easier for him.

the better question is can Ingram post better number than this?

MPG FGM-A FG% 3PTM-A 3PT% FTM-A FT% RPG APG
25.0 4.5-10.1 .448 0.6-2.1 .314 2.2-2.7 .829 3.2 3.5

BPG SPG PPG
0.2 0.9 11.9
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject:

While I think Ingram will be coming off the bench for alot of the season, I believe if he shows ANY promise, Walton is going to play him.

I think Scott's whole point was to hold DLO back, show him who was boss and teach him how to be humble.

I don't believe Walton is going to play the game of hard knocks with these kids. Honestly, it's a new game and Scott's approach is all wrong for young players.

This is why I think Ingram will have the better rookie campaign.

That being said, if DLO had played for Walton his rookie season, we would not be having this discussion.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how and or if the Yi signing will affect Ingram's minutes?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I wonder how and or if the Yi signing will affect Ingram's minutes?

I think the F.O. is too high on Randle/Nance to play Yi anywhere but Center, and Walton is too smart not to have Deng be the 3rd PF. So ya, Yi at Center is all i see. Tarik is screwed
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject:

As long as both are good next year it doesn't matter who's the better rookie.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: