OFFICIAL TARIK BLACK THREAD (Reported to sign with Rockets)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject:

At the very least it's clear that he was throwing shade at Byron with that statement though lol. Gotta love it!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Looks much slimmer
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
At the very least it's clear that he was throwing shade at Byron with that statement though lol. Gotta love it!

Nance did it in his last interview too. Byron left a really terrible impression on pretty much everyone in the organization. According to Pincus, the FO was supposedly baffled at why Black didn't see playing time.

I honestly don't think Byron will see another coaching gig in the NBA for a good while, unless there's a once in a lifetime, Lebron-esque prospect that is absolutely worth tanking for. No other coach has masterfully tanked so many seasons. Depending on what a team needs, that can be a good thing to have on your resume.

He's also ruined any chances for his son, Thomas Scott, to get a job. It's too bad because Russell credited TS for his development last season.

I should stop hating on Bscott though. He really dug his own grave.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

Nance did it in his last interview too. Byron left a really terrible impression on pretty much everyone in the organization. According to Pincus, the FO was supposedly baffled at why Black didn't see playing time.

I honestly don't think Byron will see another coaching gig in the NBA for a good while, unless there's a once in a lifetime, Lebron-esque prospect that is absolutely worth tanking for. No other coach has masterfully tanked so many seasons. Depending on what a team needs, that can be a good thing to have on your resume.

He's also ruined any chances for his son, Thomas Scott, to get a job. It's too bad because Russell credited TS for his development last season.

Thomas will be okay after a season or two has passed. He may not find an NBA gig right off the bat but there will be plenty of opportunities in Cali for him to find gainful employment in basketball. Bryon, not so much, maybe as a commentator, etc.

Looking forward to Tarik having a good season without being in the doghouse.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Judah wrote:

I can still hate on him if I want!!! What a freaking disaster he was.

Let's see what Tarik can really do this upcoming season! I am so looking forward to it.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject:

Lakers’ Tarik Black: I Love the Fact That They’re Against Us

Quote:
Lakers big man Tarik Black spoke on his mindset, new coaches in LA, and his outlook on the 2016-17 season at the ESPNLA 710 All-Star Celebrity Game

http://lakeshowlife.com/2016/08/11/lakers-tarik-black-interview-negativity-espn-video/
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject:

Master’s Degree Candidate Tarik Black Follows in Father’s Real Estate Footsteps

Quote:
In July—the same month he re-signed with the Lakers for two years, $12.85 million after going undrafted in 2014—Black attended the NBPA’s second annual Real Estate Symposium. And this month, he participated in the NBPA’s second annual Business, Entrepreneurship and Franchising Symposium.

Black, 24, was the youngest player by far in both programs. He discussed why he’s already preparing for life after basketball.

http://nbpa.com/masters-degree-candidate-tarik-black-follows-in-fathers-real-estate-footsteps/
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Quote:
In July—the same month he re-signed with the Lakers for two years, $12.85 million after going undrafted in 2014—Black attended the NBPA’s second annual Real Estate Symposium. And this month, he participated in the NBPA’s second annual Business, Entrepreneurship and Franchising Symposium.

Black, 24, was the youngest player by far in both programs. He discussed why he’s already preparing for life after basketball.

http://nbpa.com/masters-degree-candidate-tarik-black-follows-in-fathers-real-estate-footsteps/

I like reading stories like this one. There's no substitute for hard work and Tarik learned that at a young age and has remained humble in adulthood. Too bad humility doesn't work in a man-up offense.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Tarik Black deserves more than the limited opportunity he's had thus far

Quote:
Black struggled to find playing time under Byron Scott after seemingly showcasing his potential value in '14-15 and doing nothing to lose playing time. This past season, Black played just under 500 minutes, but once again it seemed clear that things were getting done with him on the court. I would argue that of all the players on the Lakers' roster, Tarik Black was the one player where it was obvious the Lakers were better with him on the court. Now, perhaps this may actually say more about Roy Hibbert than it does about Tarik, but the Lakers actually performed better than their opponents over the course of the season when Black was on the court -- something that is quite a feat while on a team as bad as the Lakers.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/8/19/12549388/la-lakers-rank-tarik-black
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
pio2u wrote:

Quote:

I like reading stories like this one. There's no substitute for hard work and Tarik learned that at a young age and has remained humble in adulthood. Too bad humility doesn't work in a man-up offense.

Glad to see TB is planning for his future after basketball.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject:

^^ very inspiring, hope he does well.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Lakers to officially re-sign Tarik Black on Wednesday
Quote:
The Lakers had agreed to a two-year deal worth $12.85 million this offseason, but the front office had held off on signing Black and Ingram (to a rookie-scale deal) in order to maintain cap flexibility for further offseason moves as long as possible. After officially signing Yi Jianlian to his one-year deal on Monday, the Lakers seem to be done making major moves for a while and will thus make things official with Black and Ingram.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/8/23/12608552/la-lakers-free-agency-rumors-tarik-black-contract-official
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers had agreed to a two-year deal worth $12.85 million this offseason, but the front office had held off on signing Black and Ingram (to a rookie-scale deal) in order to maintain cap flexibility for further offseason moves as long as possible. After officially signing Yi Jianlian to his one-year deal on Monday, the Lakers seem to be done making major moves for a while and will thus make things official with Black and Ingram.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/8/23/12608552/la-lakers-free-agency-rumors-tarik-black-contract-official

And yay for him getting that education as well
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:43 am    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Quote:

And yay for him getting that education as well

TB was to continue to grow and display the talents that earned him that big raise moving forward.
He'll have to step up his game a notch this season because the center position will be a hotly contested position.

According to the above article (Silverscreen) a total of 16 players are now under contract. We have 4 more training camp invite slots available. It's going to be interesting to see who those four players are going to be heading into camp. Competition will be fierce and that's always a good thing.

The upcoming training camp is going to be the most important training camp in years because of all the changes that have transpired.
The players and the new coaching staff all have a clean slate however nothing can be taken for granted because it's going to be a long, hard journey.

This team and the FO have a monumental task in front of them in order to bring this franchise back from the dregs of mediocrity. The future begins NOW.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Officially signed: https://twitter.com/lakers/status/768534668253605888

Back in black.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I really like Black. Wish we could have a more defined role for him.

I think it'll come down to Black v. Yi for primary backup C minutes. Loser likely gets traded by deadline (both don't have a guaranteed 2nd year).
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Happy to see Tarik back. I'm positive he can be a solid rotation player, rather sooner than later.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Sign Tarik Black

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-l-a-officially-re-signs-tarik-black/2016/08/24/

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/160824blacksigns
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Confirm Signings of Yi, Ingram, Black

The Los Angeles Lakers completed the signings of Yi Jianlian, Brandon Ingram and Tarik Black

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/sports/Lakers-Confirm-Yi-Jianlian-Brandon-Ingram-signings-391134201.html
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I really like Black. Wish we could have a more defined role for him.

I think it'll come down to Black v. Yi for primary backup C minutes. Loser likely gets traded by deadline (both don't have a guaranteed 2nd year).

I consider myself one of Tarik's biggest fans (as a Laker fan). I actually made a thread in 2014 straight after Houston waived him (as I'd been watching him a little) and said/hoped the Lakers would pick him up. Couldn't believe it when they were awarded him off waivers. I love his game. His hustle, his energy, his athleticism, his rebounding, willingness to go up strong and dunk the ball, his enthusiasm and his humble attitude. I am really glad he's back on the team. I just hope he can find some legit minutes.

I agree that he and Yi will now kinda be competing for the backup C job. But I can see Luke realistically running a 5-man bigman rotation at times to suit certain match-ups or situations: Mozgov, Randle, Yi/Black and Nance. Hell, Nance could even see some time essentially playing some SF. These 5 cover all bases in terms of bigman skill-sets and when you think Luke and GSW ran a rotation of 5 big men: Bogut, Green, Ezeli, Speights and Varejao its quite possible that is what Luke is looking to replicate that to large extent.

Broadly the comparisons probably go like this:
Mozgov = Bogut
Randle = Green
Black = Ezeli
Yi = Speights
Nance = Varejao

Also as much as I like Zubac, I don't expect him to see much time this season. I imagine this will be a learning season for him at the end of the bench or he will/should spend some time with the DFenders to help him develop.

Mind you, having said all that, I also agree that one or more of these could end up getting traded at the deadline, possibly with Young, if he sticks that far.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ryan Ward @RyanWardLA
Kupchak on Black (1/2): “Tarik is a player whose strengths are well-suited for the style of play we envision for our team going forward”
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Tarik Black‘s new two-year deal with the Lakers is worth about $12.85MM in total, but the second year is fully non-guaranteed, tweets Pincus. Los Angeles will have to make a decision on Black’s 2017/18 salary by July 4 or three days before the end of the July moratorium, whichever happens later.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/08/cap-notes-yi-lakers-black-mavs-pacers.html
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Tarik Black Talks Relationship With Luke Walton

Quote:
Walton and Black share a unique relationship, as the pair was quite familiar with each other before Black even declared for the NBA Draft.

The 6’9″ backup center transferred his senior year to the University of Kansas, but spent his first three seasons of eligibility at the University of Memphis. While at Memphis, Black averaged 9.3 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per game.

The production from the athletic big can be attributed to the hard work he put in during his collegiate career, which is where he met Walton.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-tarik-black-talks-relationship-with-luke-walton-in/2016/09/04/
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Notwithstanding what a lockout could mean for free agent dates, a July 4th guarantee deadline gives Mitch time to determine what his cap room needs are. It's a great deal for Black and LA.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Notwithstanding what a lockout could mean for free agent dates, a July 4th guarantee deadline gives Mitch time to determine what his cap room needs are. It's a great deal for Black and LA.

Yeah, that's the great piece of his deal. Means la can look at what's available and either make a move or punt forward with his salary. They can also trade him in the offseason.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 47 of 66
Jump to: