Justice Department to End Use of Private Prisons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Justice Department to End Use of Private Prisons

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/18/justice-department-says-it-will-end-use-of-private-prisons/

Quote:
Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates announced the decision on Thursday in a memo that instructs officials to either decline to renew the contracts for private prison operators when they expire or “substantially reduce” the contracts’ scope. The goal, Yates wrote, is “reducing — and ultimately ending — our use of privately operated prisons.”

...“The fact of the matter is that private prisons don’t compare favorably to Bureau of Prisons facilities in terms of safety or security or services, and now with the decline in the federal prison population, we have both the opportunity and the responsibility to do something about that,” Yates said.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Might be a good time to start unloading those CCA shares.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject:

A solid start in the right direction.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject:

While I am generally for privatizing, this was not an area that should have been outsourced. The potential for abuse is off the charts. If there are too many prisoners, perhaps we should be looking at who we are imprisoning and why we are incarcerating at such a high rate rather than looking for a cheaper way.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
While I am generally for privatizing, this was not an area that should have been outsourced. The potential for abuse is off the charts. If there are too many prisoners, perhaps we should be looking at who we are imprisoning and why we are incarcerating at such a high rate rather than looking for a cheaper way.

Well, the private prisons create a financial dependence on keeping them full.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

True. So do public ones to a degree as there's an entire industry and it's workforce dependent on a bustling prison system. It's sick.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Next step is to withhold federal education and highway funding from any states that don't follow suit.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

True. So do public ones to a degree as there's an entire industry and it's workforce dependent on a bustling prison system. It's sick.

Yeah. It's just slightly less insidious than when judges are taking payments from the private prisons to send them young, first-time, non-violent offenders.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Next step is to withhold federal education and highway funding from any states that don't follow suit.

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!! The last thing we need is for the citizens of those states to become even dumber.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Democrats have long attacked the Homeland Security Department's use of privately run facilities, particularly the detention centers that have housed thousands of immigrant families seeking refuge from violence in Central American. And liberals like Leahy are using the DOJ's policy change to press Obama to expand the private-prison ban across the administration, to include those centers and other facilities overseen by the DHS.

The domino effect described by Grijalva would impact many thousands more people who are detained by DHS's Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) branch.

Indeed, while the total federal prison population under DOJ is almost 195,000, only about 22,100, or 12 percent, are in privately run prisons, according to the agency. Under ICE's oversight, there are more than 24,500 detainees in private facilities — almost 73 percent of the total population, a spokesperson said Thursday.

The state numbers are even more significant. More than 91,000 state inmates were incarcerated in privately run facilities in 2014, according to the New York University's Brennan Center, citing DOJ statistics.

Quote:

“We have got to end the private prison racket in America as quickly as possible," Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who made criminal justice reform a central part of his recent presidential run

Quote:
Private, for profit prisons create perverse and counterproductive incentives that only worsen our crisis of over-incarceration," Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.), ranking member of the House Judiciary panel, said in a statement.

Officials in the Justice Department seem to agree.

In an Aug. 18 memo to the head of the Bureau of Prisons, Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates said private prisons "compare poorly" to government-run institutions, directing the agency either to terminate private contracts "or substantially reduce [their] scope" when they expire.
Quote:

"This is the first step in the process of reducing — and ultimately ending — our use of privately operated prisons," Yates wrote in an accompanying statement.

The announcement struck an immediate blow to the largest private prison companies. The GEO Group saw its stock price plummet by more than 39 percent Thursday, while that of the (CCA) Corrections Corporation of America fell more than 35 percent.

Next Up. Private Immigration Detention Centers
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Lots of money to be made from sending people to prison. Which is a big reason why they kept marijuana a Schedule 1 drug. Otherwise who else is going to pay for keeping those people employed.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

Yeah. It's just slightly less insidious than when judges are taking payments from the private prisons to send them young, first-time, non-violent offenders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

I honestly hope these two judges have a train of dudes being run on them 24/7 in prison. Abuse of power of the highest order.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
OregonLakerGuy wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

I honestly hope these two judges have a train of dudes being run on them 24/7 in prison. Abuse of power of the highest order.

Quote:
On March 26, 2009, the Supreme Court approved Grim's recommendations and ruled that Ciavarella had violated the constitutional rights of thousands of juveniles, and hundreds of juvenile adjudications were ordered overturned.

Thousands? (bleep) disgusting.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Lots of money to be made from sending people to prison. Which is a big reason why they kept marijuana a Schedule 1 drug. Otherwise who else is going to pay for keeping those people employed.

Good point
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:

Quote:

I love going to court.

There is drama. There is pathos. It is the place I go, as a bankruptcy judge for the Southern District of New York, to uphold the laws and Constitution of the United States, and to administer justice "without respect to persons."

So when my daughter, a public defender, asked me to accompany her to observe a day of arraignments in Bronx Criminal Court one Sunday, I jumped at the opportunity. A busman's holiday—going to court on a Sunday! I assumed it would all be very familiar, similar to what I do and see every day, except maybe with a bit more of a Law and Order vibe.

As she took the bench, the judge did not smile, nor did she provide any explanation to those in the gallery of what the process might entail. Instead, she made small talk with the court officers and the assistant district attorney (ADA), as if they're all on the same side.

The first case was that of a young mother accused of assaulting her husband, allegedly with her ten-month-old child present. This was her first arrest, and the ADA asked for a full protective order for the husband and the child; the woman was pale, slight, and visibly anxious. The public defender helped her remain calm, steadying her at the elbow.

"Your honor," her lawyer said, "the only reason the police were called in this case is because the husband was upset that my client told him she was going to leave him. He clearly only called the police in retaliation.... He has a drinking problem, and she is scared for her safety and the safety of the child. Right now, she is terrified that her baby has been alone with this man the entire time she's been detained.... She needs to be able to care for her child, so I'd ask that you make the order of protection limited."

"Application denied, Counselor," replied the judge. "She can go to family court tomorrow and get the order modified." The woman began to sob, but she was quickly rebuked by the court. "Get her out of here," the judge snapped.

I was shocked at the casual racism emanating from the bench. The judge explained a "stay away" order to a Hispanic defendant by saying that if the complainant calls and invites you over for "rice and beans," you cannot go. She lectured some defendants that most young men "with names like yours" have lengthy criminal records by the time they reach a certain age.

Is that meant as a deterrent? Is it meant to be inspirational? It got harder and harder to keep my promise to my daughter to "not say a word" in this courtroom.

One young man's arraignment was particularly unnerving: The ADA noted that the defendant's "street name" is "Guns and Butter," and then proceeded to refer to the young man not as "the defendant" or by his given name, but rather as "Mr. Guns and Butter." The judge made a thinly veiled attempt to hide her giggles, while the court officers made no attempt whatsoever to subdue their outright laughter.

At this point I had to stop and ask myself: What is going on?

The low point of the day—literally—came when a young man, obeying the court officer's order to put his hands behind his back as he stood before the judge, did as he was told, and his pants dropped to his ankles. Once the court officers caught their breath from laughing, they barked at him, "Where is your belt?" Of course, it was taken from him in the lockup, he said.

One of the most disturbing things I saw was what's called "plea allocution," in which the judge attempts to ensure each person understands the rights that he or she is giving up by pleading guilty. The judge asks the allocuting defendant a series of questions, including whether anyone is forcing him or her to plead guilty, whether he or she is pleading guilty "freely and voluntarily."

Should anyone tell the truth, and say, "No, I am not pleading guilty freely and voluntarily, I am only pleading guilty because I know it is the only way I can avoid going to Rikers," which is scary and violent, the judge will reject the plea and set bail. Why is it not okay to say that, out loud, when everyone knows it is true?

I left that day with my faith in the legal system—to which I have loyally devoted my entire career—shaken. Maybe every judge should take the time to go on a holiday to criminal court. While we all may not be able to agree on what justice looks like, surely we can agree on what injustice looks like.

It's hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

Judges POV
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: