TBT: Shannon Brown catches fire, Laker squad that should've won the title :(

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers4lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: TBT: Shannon Brown catches fire, Laker squad that should've won the title :(

One of my favorite Laker clips.....can't believe we didn't even get close to winning that year though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-CEkbzSmoY
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Coincidently the Lakers played at the 2010 opener on the same date we will have this year against the Rockets.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Another one of those "Kobe doesn't make his teammates better" cats.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TBT: Shannon Brown catches fire, Laker squad that should've won the title :(

lakers4lyfe wrote:
One of my favorite Laker clips.....can't believe we didn't even get close to winning that year though

Kobe's health was a major reason. If I remember correctly, he said there was no cartilage in his knee - there was bone on bone contact. Such a disappointing way to go out. Then Jim Buss did a clean sweep of the coaching staff.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

I think if we'd tried it again for one more season (when Kobe got the 'German knee procedure') we'd have made a run at it.

Of course then again that off-season was the off-season we were screwed the CP3 trade so meh -_-
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I think if we'd tried it again for one more season (when Kobe got the 'German knee procedure') we'd have made a run at it.

Of course then again that off-season was the off-season we were screwed the CP3 trade so meh -_-

If Phil came back for another year and Odom were mentally healthy, I think that core could have made one more run.

Pau was never really the same player either though. Part of this was attributable to Brown misusing him, but I think a significant part of it was an actual decline.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:

If Phil came back for another year and Odom were mentally healthy, I think that core could have made one more run.

Pau was never really the same player either though. Part of this was attributable to Brown misusing him, but I think a significant part of it was an actual decline.

Well Odom would have been mentally fine cause if we were making another run with Phil he likely wouldn't be traded nor Pau.

Brown didn't misuse Pau. In fact Pau and Bynum actually worked well together in Brown's first season, Bynum got his first all-star invite averaging 18/12, and Gasol averaged 17/10

One of the reasons Brown actually knew how to use Pau and Bynum was because he ran the San Antonio "twin Towers" set that Pop used with Duncan and Robinson, and ran 4 out 1 in in other situations.

The guy who MISUSED Pau upon entering was D'Antoni, not Mike Brown. Mike Brown got Pau and Bynum to average 17/11 and 18/12 while playing together. That's about as good as it gets when running them at the 4/5.
TheGOATWears#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject:

SB12! good ole meat hooks
"Love me or hate me; it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, my swagger. Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran. A champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

That should have been an ideal bench for us in 2010-11.

Barnes to back up MWP and give us aggressive D (though less physical strength) and slightly better scoring at the backup 3/4. Blake to give us decent shooting and active D at the backup G spot. Plus Brown with another year of the tri under his belt.

The "Killer Bs" or "Renegades" (as Phil called them) should've been an ideal rotation for us. In the end, just too many injuries.

I put this team up there with the 1989 Lakers -- with their bench of Coop, Thompson, and the still sky-walking Orlando Woolridge and all-around scorer Tony Campbell -- on the franchise's all-time "Should've Won A Title" list.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject:

I do put it on Phil a little bit too as he basically cut out / handcuffed Blake's game from underneath him that made him unique to our system and made our bench run it so well after the first few weeks. He imo shouldn't have touched Blake's game at all and just let him run his pick and roll style with our bench, it sure as heck benefited Brown during those first few weeks.

Sadly we not only peaked too soon, Kobe's injuries were catching up to him. I think had Kobe gotten the "one more year" we'd have made a run, because that German knee procedure really helped Kobe a lot. Just sadly happened that he hurt his wrist at the start of that season so we didn't get to see the full impact of it till 2012 which of course was his best year in a WHILE till the injury
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TBT: Shannon Brown catches fire, Laker squad that should've won the title :(

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
lakers4lyfe wrote:

Kobe's health was a major reason. If I remember correctly, he said there was no cartilage in his knee - there was bone on bone contact. Such a disappointing way to go out. Then Jim Buss did a clean sweep of the coaching staff.

Kobe's knee and Pau's laziness were the two major reasons. But mostly Kobe's knee as he was always able to carry bad play from his teammates on his back, just not that year.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Well Odom would have been mentally fine cause if we were making another run with Phil he likely wouldn't be traded nor Pau.

Brown didn't misuse Pau. In fact Pau and Bynum actually worked well together in Brown's first season, Bynum got his first all-star invite averaging 18/12, and Gasol averaged 17/10

One of the reasons Brown actually knew how to use Pau and Bynum was because he ran the San Antonio "twin Towers" set that Pop used with Duncan and Robinson, and ran 4 out 1 in in other situations.

The guy who MISUSED Pau upon entering was D'Antoni, not Mike Brown. Mike Brown got Pau and Bynum to average 17/11 and 18/12 while playing together. That's about as good as it gets when running them at the 4/5.

Odom was in a car that killed a cyclist that summer too. Wasn't just the trade.

Pau averaged then-career lows under Brown.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TBT: Shannon Brown catches fire, Laker squad that should've won the title :(

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
lakers4lyfe wrote:

He played through it fine imo. If you guys remember, he rolled his ankle severely in March against the same Dallas team. He was still great (because it's freaking Kobe) but you could tell he was never quite the same in terms of pop and explosiveness. Stupid Steve Blake getting injured stepping on, IIRC, one of those tire spikes in a parking lot and Barnes' annual playoff disappearing act basically meant as slow as we were in the back-court, we became even slower. We got swept by Dallas but that was a combination of some unfortunate events. I think healthy, we would have gone to the Finals but gotten starched by the Heat. The trio in Miami was always a terrible matchup for us.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/03/12/kobe-injures-left-ankle-against-mavs/
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:

Odom was in a car that killed a cyclist that summer too. Wasn't just the trade.

Pau averaged then-career lows under Brown.

Yep. That had more to do with force feeding Bynum. Our offensive efficiency took a dump that year despite Bynum's gaudy stats. Kind of like a certain Sixer.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TBT: Shannon Brown catches fire, Laker squad that should've won the title :(

USCandLakers wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
lakers4lyfe wrote:

Kobe's knee and Pau's laziness were the two major reasons. But mostly Kobe's knee as he was always able to carry bad play from his teammates on his back, just not that year.

I'd also add Phil's laziness. I don't think he was 100% committed that year, and was probably contemplating post retirement plans. Dude literally waited until the last game of the season to smack Pau in the head for his terrible play...
bls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TBT: Shannon Brown catches fire, Laker squad that should've won the title :(

The Grind wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
lakers4lyfe wrote:

I'd also add Phil's laziness. I don't think he was 100% committed that year, and was probably contemplating post retirement plans. Dude literally waited until the last game of the season to smack Pau in the head for his terrible play...

Wasn't it revealed that Phil had cancer during that season? If I remember correctly he told the team during the match up against the Mavs.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Dallas had some fluke shooting in the playoffs and the Lakers were gassed after 3 straight trips to the Finals. Mike Brown shat the bed. D'Antoni just shoved the dirty covers into the closet. Byron Scott burned the whole thing down.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

That team lacked new, young blood. All year long they just seemed inconsistent and uneven. We had several losing streaks of at least 3 games. Maybe if we had added a younger key bench player, that combined with a healthy Kobe and Pau probably would've given us one more ring that year.

In a perfect world we would've gotten Andre Igoudala somehow. That could've extended our run a couple years.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Dallas had some fluke shooting in the playoffs and the Lakers were gassed after 3 straight trips to the Finals. Mike Brown shat the bed. D'Antoni just shoved the dirty covers into the closet. Byron Scott burned the whole thing down.

Eh I don't blame Mike Brown solely for our losses to OKC. That was on us. We had them beat in all those games but the first and the last, and we blew it in the last minute. And even when we blew it at the end of game 2, we still ran a solid play out of bounds that got Steve Blake open for a wide open three that could have won the game. So that one was on us, we executed great for 3 and a half quarters, and then blew it late and we were a veteran team, we just blew it.

We should have been up 3-1 going back to OKC.

I think had we run the same 4 out 1 in offense instead of switching to the Princeton, when we got Dwight and Nash, we would have had earlier immediate success.

I remember thinking how unstoppable the Pau and Bynum pick and roll was, and was imagining just how unstoppable it'd be with Dwight and Pau.

Sadly Kobe suggested we change the offense to the Princeton, and Brown took his advice on it and we did. imo we should have kept the 4 out 1 in and San Antonio offense we were adapting at the end of the year and near had down against OKC.

Surprisingly enough we were a top 10 offensive team and a top 15 defensive team that year too while allowing .1 point more a game than the year before.

We haven't sniffed either of those kind of Offensive or Defensive numbers since X_X
KobeDGreatesss
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject:

Man good ole times
I miss the hell out of those Lakers! All 15 of them
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

Pau was horrendous against Dallas.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject:

That team was burned out after 3 straight finals.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject:

Is Shannon Brown playing in China now?
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject:

i truly loved that team, all the guys were like a big family!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: