The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 648, 649, 650 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Screen setting. That's the unsexy thing Randle has to improve on this upcoming season.
I know he loves to score and create with the ball in his hands. But setting good screens on and off ball will make his life easier. He'll actually become a more efficient scorer because of it.
But I understand if that comes off as counter-intuitive to him. He's still young.

I agree.

If he could just learn to set solid, legal screens and then really work on rolling to the basket...it would greatly help the team and open up things for him as well.

The other thing he has to do is learn to slow down on offense when he receives the ball. He could stand to watch video of guys like Jordan or Kobe and how they get the ball, read the defense, then react to what the defense is doing. Julius just gets it and goes no matter what the defense is doing....he has to learn to slow down that half beat and read the defense.

If he adds pump fakes and spins to his drives, Jules can get on the line a ton

Totally agree with all you guys.
Setting screens.
The little, fundamental things.
Slowing down.
Absolutely.

Too add to your points...

1. When driving, drive to be a playmaker. Start building that "playmaking" reputation. Once defenders start playing him for the pass, his offense will open wide up. It'll also make "forcing him to his right hand" a less-effective tactic.

This way, when he drives, help defenders will be more reluctant to leave their assignments. Once that happens, he'll have less traffic in the paint. Dealing with less paint traffic, he should have an easier time finishing.

2. Aside from slowing down, he needs to get back to basics and simplify his moves. He has solid triple-threat skills, but once he decides to go, his head is down and he tries to do too much. Or he drives too far. Then it's too many pump-fakes. Too many spins back into help D. Too many hard flip shots. Too many low % forced shots. Too many long-term, hard-wired, "auto-pilot" moves.

Obviously, he has an amazing first-step. He's going to have defenders on their heels. He doesn't need to drive to the rim every single time. There's nothing wrong with simple one-dribble or two-dribble pull-ups. Step-backs. Runners. Floaters. Little hooks. Lots of good things happen in there in the mid-range. Not every drive needs to end up at the basket.

He has all the skills, he just needs to continue to gain experience, watch a lot of film and start understanding when to do what. Far too often, he makes situations far more difficult than they need to be.

Simplify, Jules!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject:

This may be not toooo relevant in this new offense - but ---- last year most of Julius' ISO's and forays into the paint came from him being on the left side of the court driving right. I remember on an ESPN game, Brent Barry actually pointed this out "he actually drives right 75% of the time". I was watching some of his 5-10ft shot attempts on NBA.com , and I think he's a better finisher going left, coming from the right side. It also makes his patented spin move more effective, because he's more comfortable doing the move that way. I think he would have been a 5% better finisher on his flip shots if he was driving left, instead of driving right and having to come back to his left, across his and the defenders body.

Might be irrelevant with this new offense, where he won't be ISO'ing much at all, and he'll be passing most of those flip shots. But still, Byron is stupid.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

He's gonna be a dad:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJbvyrCAxmj/?taken-by=kendra.shaw&hl=en
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
He's gonna be a dad:

that proposal was a dead giveaway lol
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
rybee wrote:
He's gonna be a dad:

The proposal meant he loved her. If they just discovered recently, he proposed to her 2 or so months ago. So it likely happened then and had little to do with why he proposed. It may have been the result of him proposing But not the reason.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
rybee wrote:
He's gonna be a dad:

The proposal meant he loved her. If they just discovered recently, he proposed to her 2 or so months ago. So it likely happened then and had little to do with why he proposed. It may have been the result of him proposing But not the reason.

They're not going to announce it as soon as you find out so we don't know.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
rybee wrote:
He's gonna be a dad:

They already know the sex of the baby so clearly they didn't just find out. They've been together for 2-3 years now so her getting pregnant AFTER she gets the ring would be strange and doesn't make sense. At least it's not a one nighter baby and he actually loves this girl.
CBaller8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
MJST wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
rybee wrote:
He's gonna be a dad:

They already know the sex of the baby so clearly they didn't just find out. They've been together for 2-3 years now so her getting pregnant AFTER she gets the ring would be strange and doesn't make sense. At least it's not a one nighter baby and he actually loves this girl.

Yeah that's something especially for athletes. However, the odds are still stacked against them.
GasolBynumKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
MJST wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
rybee wrote:
He's gonna be a dad:

Yeah that's something especially for athletes. However, the odds are still stacked against them.

Oh absolutely. Just by looking at her IG, she loves the lifestyle and she doesn't hide it. Good luck to Julius.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Congrats Don Julio!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject:

GasolBynumKobe wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
MJST wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
rybee wrote:
He's gonna be a dad:

Oh absolutely. Just by looking at her IG, she loves the lifestyle and she doesn't hide it. Good luck to Julius.

Aren't the odds stack for any multimillionaire NBA player? Sometimes they need a women who understands the LA lifestyle. Lol
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject:

Congrats J & KR!!
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:22 am    Post subject:

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
CBaller8 wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
MJST wrote:
GasolBynumKobe wrote:
rybee wrote:
He's gonna be a dad:

Aren't the odds stack for any multimillionaire NBA player? Sometimes they need a women who understands the LA lifestyle. Lol

It's stacked in favor of the fact that Julius isn't a guy that essentially likes going out and partying all the time. He isn't big on social media, or smiling. He simply works hard, doesn't talk much, and brings it on the court.

A lot of that I believe has to do with his upbringing and his wonderful mother.
True Lakers Fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

Good for them..
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/768149614864183297

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

LOOK AT ALL MY CHURRENS
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
22 wrote:

LOOK AT ALL MY CHURRENS

What happens if a grenade goes off in the room?

100% of the young core are not allowed to be that close in proximity.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject:

Looks like Randle is daring Zubac to take his shirt off.

But Zubac says..."I need to do more bench press first.."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
anpherknee wrote:
22 wrote:

LOOK AT ALL MY CHURRENS

What happens if a grenade goes off in the room?

100% of the young core are not allowed to be that close in proximity.

Make them take separate planes to the game LOL
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Screen setting. That's the unsexy thing Randle has to improve on this upcoming season.
I know he loves to score and create with the ball in his hands. But setting good screens on and off ball will make his life easier. He'll actually become a more efficient scorer because of it.
But I understand if that comes off as counter-intuitive to him. He's still young.

I agree.

If he could just learn to set solid, legal screens and then really work on rolling to the basket...it would greatly help the team and open up things for him as well.

The other thing he has to do is learn to slow down on offense when he receives the ball. He could stand to watch video of guys like Jordan or Kobe and how they get the ball, read the defense, then react to what the defense is doing. Julius just gets it and goes no matter what the defense is doing....he has to learn to slow down that half beat and read the defense.

Agreed.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I agree.

Agreed.

Interestingly enough he did that his rookie year, what little of it there was, but he had a patient and measured approach more so than last year.

But like I said, being in a more measured and controlled offense as well as the right coach will help a lot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject:

I really do think that part of what is motivating (and also holding him back) is his confusion about his role.

Is he a white collar scorer? Featured go-to guy on offense?

Is he a blue collar guy who sets screens, rebounds, defends, and puts up 10-12 ppg?
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I really do think that part of what is motivating (and also holding him back) is his confusion about his role.

Is he a white collar scorer? Featured go-to guy on offense?

Is he a blue collar guy who sets screens, rebounds, defends, and puts up 10-12 ppg?

I think Walton will feature him in the offense (at least at first).

he enjoys handling the basketball and playing point-forward. So I would give him that draymon role just to see what he can do with it. I think nance thrived in that role in Vegas so matbe Randle will as well.

Sometimes players need to feel like they are an integral part of the offense and when they do they pick up the effort in other aspects of the game like defense or settling screens.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Nance has the draymond versatility but as far as handling the rock, jules is the the better one suited to bring the ball off a defensive rebound between he and nance and it's really not that close. Also as far as vision, nance is suspect at making on ball decision making. He's not really the guy to setup a teammate whereas julius can drive n dish quite well. He isn't a bad passer nor an unwilling one.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 648, 649, 650 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 649 of 1536
Jump to: