Favorite 90s Comedies??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Definitely Friday and Next Friday.

Rush Hour is a favourite of mine, love some earlier Sandler movies too like Waterboy and Happy Gilmore.

Ace Ventura is funny too.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
4stargeneralbulldog wrote:
Fargo

That was a Cohenmedy. Not quite a drama, not quite a comedy. Buscemi's leg sticking out of a wood chipper while his blood sprays all over the snow from the other end is horrific, yet still, kind of cohenmedic.

A little bit like Pulp Fiction, you kind of chuckle at the ridiculousness of the suggested scenario, even tho you know you probably shouldn't. I will say Cohen's are a little more "grounded" than QT as weird as that may sound.

Or in Fargo, the spaz wife's behavior. She's being abused, abducted, and is eventually strangled and yet the script and acting makes the whole affair seem bleakly/blackly amusing even though you know it's wrong. That kind of rooting-for-the-horrible-degenerate-murderers humor probably wasn't as prevalent before The Sopranos as it is today. The big guy with white hair shoots a father and daughter on the road and you don't remember that so much as you remember "Where's pancakes house?!...". You don't think of them kidnapping the wife, you think, "Unnn-guent!"

I've watched Miller's Crossing at least 6x in less than a year (movie channels play it a lot). A movie I didn't care for when I first saw it many years ago, around the time it was still new. I didn't get it back then, didn't know the Cohens or their style. I remember not understanding why certain parts were so campy and silly. Now I like it. Makes perfect sense to me. Knowing it was a Cohen Bros movie before the 2nd view 20 yrs later, there was no longer a conceptual barrier there. Loved No Country and the True Grit remake. Hope they have another of that ilk up their sleeves. It's what they're best at. They won their Oscar for No Country. I'm still not a fan of their intentional comedies.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

What About Bob

Huh. Thought this was late '80s. Great film. As was Groundhog Day.

Personal favorite: The Big Lebowski.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
The Grind wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Fargo

That was a Cohenmedy. Not quite a drama, not quite a comedy. Buscemi's leg sticking out of a wood chipper while his blood sprays all over the snow from the other end is horrific, yet still, kind of cohenmedic.

A little bit like Pulp Fiction, you kind of chuckle at the ridiculousness of the suggested scenario, even tho you know you probably shouldn't. I will say Cohen's are a little more "grounded" than QT as weird as that may sound.

Or in Fargo, the spaz wife's behavior. She's being abused, abducted, and is eventually strangled and yet the script and acting makes the whole affair seem bleakly/blackly amusing even though you know it's wrong. That kind of rooting-for-the-horrible-degenerate-murderers humor probably wasn't as prevalent before The Sopranos as it is today. The big guy with white hair shoots a father and daughter on the road and you don't remember that so much as you remember "Where's pancakes house?!...". You don't think of them kidnapping the wife, you think, "Unnn-guent!"

I've watched Miller's Crossing at least 6x in less than a year (movie channels play it a lot). A movie I didn't care for when I first saw it many years ago, around the time it was still new. I didn't get it back then, didn't know the Cohens or their style. I remember not understanding why certain parts were so campy and silly. Now I like it. Makes perfect sense to me. Knowing it was a Cohen Bros movie before the 2nd view 20 yrs later, there was no longer a conceptual barrier there. Loved No Country and the True Grit remake. Hope they have another of that ilk up their sleeves. It's what they're best at. They won their Oscar for No Country. I'm still not a fan of their intentional comedies.

Miller's Crossing is their 2nd best film, imo (after Lebowski).
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:

What About Bob

I love this movie so much.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
The Grind wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Fargo

C'mon man Raising Arizona is pretty rad, no?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject:

The life of Brian (was it in the 90s?)
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

What About Bob

Huh. Thought this was late '80s. Great film. As was Groundhog Day.

Personal favorite: The Big Lebowski.

Nope. 1991 What About Bob
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
The Grind wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Fargo

Miller's Crossing is their 2nd best film, imo (after Lebowski).

Miller's Crossing is genius to me. Definitely funny at points, but not a comedy.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
The life of Brian (was it in the 90s?)

Not even CLOSE.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject:

This is an obscure one, but I always loved this movie called Freeway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116361/

Of course, Stuart Saves His Family!

Last edited by greenfrog on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

C'mon man Raising Arizona is pretty rad, no?

I thought about that one. I saw it once...........once. It was cute, I understood that they were intentionally trying to make it so. I remember laughing hard at the scene where Goodman came thru a pile of mud or manure yelling "AAHHHH!!" It's been so long that I saw it that it's hazy. However, here's a tangent for you, homie. I saw Something Wild last year for the first time, and it reminded me of my hazy recollection of Raising Arizona among others. There were a lot of movies back then that vaguely remind me of each other in style and in some of the plot lines (i.e. being on the run in some way, driving scenes, some kind of illicit behavior going on). The Grifters and Miami Blues were like that. Leaving Las Vegas was an extremely bleak example to me as well. That one was on the other polar extreme of Raising Arizona as far as genre, yet there was still a vague similarity in my disturbed mind. I can't put my finger on what that early 90s style exactly was, but for example, it was like when that INXS video for "I Need You Tonight" was new, a bunch of other videos that looked like it cropped up immediately because the style of that video was new/fresh and trendsetting.

I haven't seen Lebowski yet, believe it or not. I will eventually give all their material a whirl at least once out of respect, but that new Caeser one looks like death. If I had to sit thru that sh, by the end of it, I'd be hanging from the ceiling of the theater. You'd see my feet dangling at eye level like that scene in Airplane! where he's telling that lady his life story.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I haven't seen Lebowski yet, believe it or not.

WHAAAAAAT THE EFF!!???

Fix that, and soon.

Quote:
I will eventually give all their material a whirl at least once out of respect, but that new Caeser one looks like death. If I had to sit thru that sh, by the end of it, I'd be hanging from the ceiling of the theater. You'd see my feet dangling at eye level like that scene in Airplane! where he's telling that lady his life story.

Yeah, you can skip that one. As an Editor, I liked it from a technical standpoint and the McCarthy period/Movie Studio references resonated (the Frances McDormand scene as the Editor who gets her scarf stuck in the Moviola was an awesome analogy). But outside of that it was a major yawner.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Boogie Nights

Not a traditional comedy by any means, more of a dramedy.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

I haven't seen Lebowski yet, believe it or not.

WHAAAAAAT THE EFF!!???

Fix that, and soon.

I know, it's a cult classic according to the internets. Reminds me of that Fight Club movie that a lot of internet br0z talk about. I didn't want to see that flick, but I finally must've found an unedited movie channel airing and rolled with it. I promise to Netflix Lebowski, but no matter what, you'll always be "The Dude" at LG. I just saw Close Encounters for the first time in full a few weeks ago. That's 40 yrs old next year and there were scenes that I had never seen even by accident (via channel surfing). Never saw the part in the middle where he was throwing building materials into his kitchen window to construct the mound. I personally wouldn't have left a 1977 Teri Garr on Earth, but that's me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: