Better player: Paul Pierce or Carmelo Anthony
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Better player?
Paul Pierce
51%
 51%  [ 23 ]
Carmelo Anthony
48%
 48%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 45

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Better player: Paul Pierce or Carmelo Anthony

I feel like Carmelo does everything better than Pierce offensively, but he just seems like a career loser whereas Pierce has a ring.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject:

Yeah, gonna have to go with Paul 'season ending paper cut' Pierce, just cause the ring... still pissed about that. We should be at 17 and they're at 16!!!
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject:

PP is the better overall player. Melo the slightly better scorer, but Pierce had a nice post game and his defense better.

With that said, you give Melo KG and Ray Allen and he'd have at least 1 title too.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject:

Pierce. Better 2 way player.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject:

Melo.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject:

I was always much more afraid of PP, but don't know if that means he's the better player.

I think what we see out of what will likely be Melo's last two years of star productivity will determine the answer to this...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject:

Well, Melo has his 'superteam' now (according to D.Rose)
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Melo is the better player, but Pierce will be thought of as the better player largely due to the ring.

They have similar career issues...
Pierce bsically was on the same timeline as Kobe, and that comparison made it seem like he was a second rate star. Pierce is a legit all star otherwise.

Melo's career has very unfortunately been overshadowed by lebron's attention sucking career. It's unfortunate because melo is a better player than lebron overall.
the leeg
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Melo is the better player, but Pierce will be thought of as the better player largely due to the ring.

Pierce bsically was on the same timeline as Kobe, and that comparison made it seem like he was a second rate star. Pierce is a legit all star otherwise.

Melo's career has very unfortunately been overshadowed by lebron's attention sucking career. It's unfortunate because melo is a better player than lebron overall.

I'm sorry, did you watch the NBA finals? On what planet is Melo capable of doing anything near what Bron just did?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject:

the leeg wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:

I'm sorry, did you watch the NBA finals? On what planet is Melo capable of doing anything near what Bron just did?

The claim is indeed ridiculous. It would compel me too to make an account on a Lakers site just to defend my team.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Melo's got 3 golds he don't need no stinkin' NBA championship.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Hate to say it, gotta go with Pierce.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Melo's got 3 golds he don't need no stinkin' NBA championship.

And a national championship
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:

I think if Pierce didn't get the good fortune of playing with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen this conversation would be viewed as a little silly. Winning championships doesn't appear to be as important to Carmelo as some other things. That's his right, but it does open him up to fan conversations like this.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think if Pierce didn't get the good fortune of playing with Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen this conversation would be viewed as a little silly. Winning championships doesn't appear to be as important to Carmelo as some other things. That's his right, but it does open him up to fan conversations like this.

I think Melo would definitely have won a championship or two with KG, Allen and Rondo. But, Pierce was no slouch. They have similar stats lines, even if you look at Per 36, the main difference is Melo's 4 PPG advantage. But Melo also needed 4 FGA per game to get there.

Pierce was a better defender as well.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject:

Melo took the Nuggets to the playoffs every year.
Amazingly, if he was drafted by Detroit he would probably be sitting on three rings right now and then this discussion isn't even a discussion
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

I think Melo would definitely have won a championship or two with KG, Allen and Rondo. But, Pierce was no slouch. They have similar stats lines, even if you look at Per 36, the main difference is Melo's 4 PPG advantage. But Melo also needed 4 FGA per game to get there.

Pierce was certainly no slouch. But if Pierce's career (which was actually pretty similar to Melo's before the KG/Allen trades) had played out the way it was going before the big trades, I don't think anyone would think Pierce was better. Rings do that for you.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Don't think Kobe would've let Melo get one or two, Pierce and Co got lucky Pau wasn't ready to handle KG in the 1st match up
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Don't think Kobe would've let Melo get one or two, Pierce and Co got lucky Pau wasn't ready to handle KG in the 1st match up

Melo's Nuggets took the 09 Champion Lakers to 6 games. Melo was rolling with a post-prime Chauncey and post-prime KMart. Pretty sure Melo with KG and Ray could have done some serious damage.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject:

One on one, I'd go Melo.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

The only time I would take Pierce over Melo is in an all time flopping team. Melo mans up and Pierce flops his way to a finals win that was helped along by, among others, the transcendent performance of Leon Powe.
the leeg
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
One on one, I'd go Melo.

Why would this topic be about one on one...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject:

iMO, Carmelo is the most overrated player of his generation. He's a pretty good player overall, but some people act like he is one of the best in the league. He's a volume scorer, for sure, but he's an average rebounder, a below average defender, and in general a guy who doesn't seem to help his team as much as his scoring numbers would suggest.
the leeg
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
iMO, Carmelo is the most overrated player of his generation. He's a pretty good player overall, but some people act like he is one of the best in the league. He's a volume scorer, for sure, but he's an average rebounder, a below average defender, and in general a guy who doesn't seem to help his team as much as his scoring numbers would suggest.

I'd say Westbrook is immensely more overrated, but he's the next generation. Also Damian LOLard but he's like 2 gens later.
So yeah. Melo is not as good as Bron, Wade, CP3 or Bosh. Some people act like he's better then the latter two but he's not. Still a damn good player.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
ocho wrote:

Pierce was certainly no slouch. But if Pierce's career (which was actually pretty similar to Melo's before the KG/Allen trades) had played out the way it was going before the big trades, I don't think anyone would think Pierce was better. Rings do that for you.

Lots did. I did. Pierce seemed like more of a leader, less of a ball hog, better defender, won a few playoff rounds. I should repeat, way better defender. And definitely strong mentally, knowing game like Kobe when to strike, when to lay back when to go for the kill. Until later, it felt Melo was learning while Pierce had learned already.

And I think Melo was pretty formidable overall. Kobe and he would have worked out eventually IMO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: