OFFICIAL YI JIANLIAN THREAD....GOODBYE YI....ASKED TO BE WAIVED!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LaxT wrote:
Den686 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
So is Yi 28 or 32? age gap doesn't seem large, but 28 means he's still young enough to adjust to the NBA.

Born: October 27, 1987 (age 28)

Born: October 27, 1984
http://www.chinasportsreview.com/2008/12/20/yi-jianlian-proved-to-be-3-years-older/
http://www.interbasket.net/news/570/2008/12/evidence-suggest-yi-jianlian-three-years-older/

Why the angst for a 1 year deal that may be as small as 250k if the lakers cut him?

Deng is nearly the same age and his age has also been questioned before as a refugee from Sudan.

What angst?
This is a forum, isn't it?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LaxT wrote:
Den686 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
So is Yi 28 or 32? age gap doesn't seem large, but 28 means he's still young enough to adjust to the NBA.

http://www.chinasportsreview.com/2008/12/20/yi-jianlian-proved-to-be-3-years-older/
http://www.interbasket.net/news/570/2008/12/evidence-suggest-yi-jianlian-three-years-older/

Why the angst for a 1 year deal that may be as small as 250k if the lakers cut him?

Deng is nearly the same age and his age has also been questioned before as a refugee from Sudan.

What angst?

It is. And you're constantly complaining about the 15th man.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LaxT wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LaxT wrote:
Den686 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

What angst?

It is. And you're constantly complaining about the 15th man.

What makes you think I am complaining?
I post evidence of Yi's actual age.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject:

never mind.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I looked back and didn't see this posted.
Quote:
He’ll earn somewhere between $250,000 and $8 million next season, $1,139,123 just for remaining on the roster through Jan. 10.

Yi can trigger $2,286,959 bonuses for hitting three benchmarks based on games played, according to Basketball Insiders. Here’s the running total for those incentives:

20-39 games played: $2,286,959
40-58 games played: $4,573,918
59+ games played:$6,860,877

LINK

From Pincus
Quote:

8/22/16 — Signed Yi Jianlian to a one-year, partially-guaranteed $8 million contract, with likely incentives based on games played. Base salary is $1,139,123. An additional $2,286,959 in bonus kicks in at 20, 40 and 59 games played.
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary/#

From Coon
Quote:

Certain kinds of incentives are not allowed, such as those based on the player being on the team's roster on a specific date or for a specific number of games.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q74

Could someone please clarify?

The bonuses are for games played, not for games being on the roster, which according to Larry is not legal.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LaxT wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:
He’ll earn somewhere between $250,000 and $8 million next season, $1,139,123 just for remaining on the roster through Jan. 10.

Yi can trigger $2,286,959 bonuses for hitting three benchmarks based on games played, according to Basketball Insiders. Here’s the running total for those incentives:

LINK

From Pincus
Quote:

8/22/16 — Signed Yi Jianlian to a one-year, partially-guaranteed $8 million contract, with likely incentives based on games played. Base salary is $1,139,123. An additional $2,286,959 in bonus kicks in at 20, 40 and 59 games played.

From Coon
Quote:

Certain kinds of incentives are not allowed, such as those based on the player being on the team's roster on a specific date or for a specific number of games.

The bonuses are for games played, not for games being on the roster, which according to Larry is not legal.

An interesting interpretation and I wonder why teams did not exploit the rule more. Maybe they will in the future. Quite useful while you sign someone with uncertainty, such as injury concern.

It also means Yi will make 3.4M if he plays as many games as Sacre(25) did, or 5.7M as Young(54) did. There was report that Yi is taking serious paycut; it does not look like so. I would say his agent, Dan Fegen, negotiated a good deal for him.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Iandrewd wrote:
You don't seem to understand my point...you keep asking for a name they should have signed instead, like I'm some kind of basketball Nostradamus. YOU DON'T NEED TO ALREADY KNOW THE GUY. The idea is to leave a spot open and rotate some guys through so someone might SURPRISE you. I already explained that once. I wasn't changing the argument, I was simply trying to avoid repeating myself on a fairly straightforward concept.

Yi's deal allows the team the opportunity to cut him with little to marginal financial penalty if he doesn't work out and they need to open up a roster spot. If there's another mythical Whiteside player out there, they can just sign him to the developmental league and see how he does there first before calling him. So in essence, your idea to leave a spot open isn't really necessary.
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LaxT wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:

LINK

From Pincus
Quote:

From Coon
Quote:

An interesting interpretation and I wonder why teams did not exploit the rule more. Maybe they will in the future. Quite useful while you sign someone with uncertainty, such as injury concern.

It also means Yi will make 3.4M if he plays as many games as Sacre(25) did, or 5.7M as Young(54) did. There was report that Yi is taking serious paycut; it does not look like so. I would say his agent, Dan Fegen, negotiated a good deal for him.

you'd wonder who else other than an idiot like Yi would agree with a contract like that...
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Russell, Jordan, Ingram, Deng and Yi give you a five out rotation of guys that should all hit 35%+ from distance in a good offense while also giving you good size and length defensively. Rebounding is a concern but you can insert team concepts that help with that.

You lose something defensively swapping Calderon for one of the guards but retain a strong QB who is a historically good 3pt shooter. Lou is also a threat from distance with the accompanying defensive issues. If Brown and Nance can prove out to shoot well out there you start to really have options. I would include Randle but I think he's another year out.

That part right there. If, and I know it's a big if, but if those two hit their shots fairly consistently, we go from underdogs to really, really good fast. Why? Because they play defense already.

Imagine a lineup of Russell, Brown at the 2 and stroking that mother like he did in college, Ingram at the 3 as he fills out, Deng at the 4, and this part to me is phenomenal: at the 5 we can plug in whomever according to the match up that particular game.

Off the bench comes a quality big, Randle, Nance jr and Clarkson doing their thing. Call me over optimistic, but I like the hell out of our team should those players take that leap.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject:

Honeybadger81 wrote:
LaxT wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LaxT wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Quote:

LINK

From Pincus
Quote:

From Coon
Quote:

you'd wonder who else other than an idiot like Yi would agree with a contract like that...

Do you think it's a stupid deal for Yi? It's much better than the minimum the Lakers offered him last year while it's safe to assume he will get at least 3.4M. He can't do worse than Sacre, can he? 3.4M is about the same as his salary in China, and he has a decent chance to get more.

As the cap is ballooning and teams have to meet a minimum payroll, teams may find it a flexible way to use the extra space in stead of handing out lucrative offers.

I wish it's a traditional contract, such as just 1yr/3.4M, and the team would have 5M space left, just in case an opportunity emerges. But you got to admit it is a "creative" deal. DNP= Don't Need to Pay.

The Dodgers signed Kenta Maeda to a contract with similar concept. Maybe more foreign players, such as Milos Teodosic, will follow.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:

I wish it's a traditional contract, such as just 1yr/3.4M, and the team would have 5M space left, just in case an opportunity emerges. But you got to admit it is a "creative" deal. DNP= Don't Need to Pay.

The Dodgers signed Kenta Maeda to a contract with similar concept. Maybe more foreign players, such as Milos Teodosic, will follow.

Actually, if it was a traditional contract at that number, the Lakers available cap space would be zero.

There's a reason they held off on signing Ingram and Black and only did so after this deal was done.

As hard as it is for quite a few folks here to believe, Mitch knows a lot more about the CBA than they do. I'm talking a gap roughly similar to a kindergartner and Stephen Hawking when it comes to quantum physics.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
LaxT wrote:

Actually, if it was a traditional contract at that number, the Lakers available cap space would be zero.

There's a reason they held off on signing Ingram and Black and only did so after this deal was done.

As hard as it is for quite a few folks here to believe, Mitch knows a lot more about the CBA than they do. I'm talking a gap roughly similar to a kindergartner and Stephen Hawking when it comes to quantum physics.

Ah, early bird exception for Black. I forgot about that. You are right that there would be no space left anyway. So Mitch created a trade asset with similar function to cap space.

But the most likely scenario is that Yi will finish this season with the Lakers and make 3.4M or 5.7M.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject:

Yi is a solid 3rd option at C. Not expecting much though because Zubac is the backup.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Yi is a solid 3rd option at C. Not expecting much though because Zubac is the backup.

He likely won't be (Zubac as the backup)
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I'm actually seeing Yi mostly playing the role of 3rd PF behind Randle and Nance (maybe even Deng) cause he can stretch. I see Black as the 3rd C behind Mozgov and Zubac
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

I don't see how he's clearly the most talented center on the roster.
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject:

uh oh
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject:

anpherknee wrote:
uh oh

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject:

He's back. With another target now.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

He is, but once he gets scouted, he's going to get abused in the NBA. If GT noticed that Zubac relies on his right hand too much, you better bet NBA scouting departments are going to do the same. This is to say nothing about the PnR with Zubac guarding the roll man. We saw what Felder did; now imagine an NBA starting-caliber point.

Remember how good Randle looked in preseason and for like the first 10 games of the season? And then his performance dropped significantly? He got scouted, and it took him months to start adjusting. Zubac is going to have the same thing apply to him. Except Luke's going to try to win and has plenty of options at the 5, so Zubac will have a shorter leash to play out that growth on the (NBA) court.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

He isn't ready for the NBA yet. Mozgov, Black and probably Yi will get most of the center minutes while Zubac will probably spend some time in the D League.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject:

I have Black as the back up C.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Dave20 wrote:

You'll get flak for it, but you are right. Yi's contract is structured in such a way that he'll have to beat out Zubac and/or Black for his minutes. It's not the other way around where Yi is guaranteed minutes. He'll have to fight for every single minute and it should be very competitive in training camp. If he has a subpar showing and fails to demonstrate utility on the floor, they could waive him and he'll walk away with 250k. It's arguably one of the best contracts I've seen because they won't take any significant cap hit.

Similarly, the coaching staff has made it clear to Zubac that they expect him to contribute. They brought him back early from Croatia to put in extra work with the training staff. The expectation is that he'll contribute on some level.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject:

0514 wrote:

Does that mean Yi moves to the 4?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
0514 wrote:

Does that mean Yi moves to the 4?

He can stretch, not a bad 3pt shooter for a 7 footer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20
Jump to: